PDA

View Full Version : When you upgrade to HD, what do you do with the DVD?

Dave
05-25-2009, 04:15 PM
I have been incredibly slow at upgrading a lot of my titles to HD. I am super picky about what I spend on movies these days. Excluding the HD-DVD fire sales, I have only double dipped for a handful of HD titles. There are some others I'm wanting to upgrade - Starship Troopers (always a fav of mine), Truman Show, Groundhog Day, and a few others. But $15 is pretty much the max I am willing to spend on a blu these days, so I either wait for a sale or wait until the price comes down. And while some of those titles I want to replace are $15 now, I'm still not in a rush.

Halloween
Day of the Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Evil Dead 2

The HD-DVD fire sales resulted in some upgrades, too. I got the MI trilogy, Land of the Dead, AWIL, and a few others.

I've given some to my son. And I guess we are only left with a few choices: give them away, donate them, trade, or try and sell them.

What have you guys been doing with the DVDs when you upgrade?

maniac666
05-25-2009, 04:41 PM
Ebay is a good place to sell those obsolete dvds!But they sell faster when you do a lot of a couple dvds.Last time i made a lot of 12 dvds including great classics such as The Shining,Fargo,Hellraiser etc,someone bought them for 40.00$.That's not bad i think.Here in Canada for the month of May there's is a sale at HMV, you can bring a dvd of your choice and they give you a 7$ debate on a MGM/FOX Blu ray.Last week i trade The Omen and Poltergeist and i bought The Simpsons movie and Sideways,both for 23 $.Great Sale!!Pretty rare for Hmv!!
Or you can just play frisbee with them,or wait for them to disintegrate!!:p

Matt89
05-25-2009, 04:45 PM
I just sell off the DVDs. I'm a lot less picky about special features, so I'm not really worried when stuff isn't all carried over. Sure it can be irritating, but it's happening less and less with subsequent releases. In fact, blu-rays often have special features exclusive to blu-ray. I've replaced a bunch, but I'm in the same boat as you. I only replace them when prices drop. I've indulged on a few blu-rays, but they weren't upgrades. They were for movies I had never owned on DVD.

Blu-ray prices are gradually dropping, though, so it's not as big an issue for me. I just sell the DVD and then get the blu-ray (that way I have some more cash to go towards the blu!)

~Matt

rxfiend
05-25-2009, 07:06 PM
I've upgraded numerous titles thanks to the HD-DVD sales. And that's only because of the super cheap prices, otherwise I would not have. Most of those DVDs I either gave to my kids, donated to the library or sold. Having gone blu, I've kept some of my DVDs that I have upgraded to blu (like F13, Halloween, Dawn, Hellraiser, etc...) because I still want a standard def copy in case I'm in a situation that does not have a blu-ray player around but still want to watch the movie. That being said, I really don't plan on upgrading too many titles. I'm really quite satisfied with just upconverting most of my movies. Now there are some titles that I want to upgrade, but for the most part, I plan on just buying new releases (both older and new films) on the format.

blu
05-25-2009, 11:44 PM
I sold off my DVDs to friends and at eBay and various forums. As for finding cheap BDs there are two fantastic threads for "$10 or less" sales at highdefdigest.com and blu-ray.com which I subscribe to. Nine times out of ten they're used discs but it's hard to beat the price!

Reverenddave
05-26-2009, 12:17 AM
It depends on the title and price.

In many cases, you'll only get $1-$3. That hardly makes it worth the effort. And I only have HD players in one room. So if I want to watch the movie in another room, or take it on vacation, or loan it to a friend, I'll need the DVD. So I just keep the DVD.

In other cases, if it's a movie that I won't watch very often, or if I can get $7+, then I'm more likely to sell it.

I'll usually sell it through Amazon or eBay. If I have a bunch of discs I want to get rid of, I'll often use something like DVDPlanet or Second Spin. Just bundle it all up in a big box, then use the store credit for more HD discs.

Katatonia
05-26-2009, 02:06 AM
It depends on if I really need them anymore or not...or if they'll just take up shelf space and gather dust.

If they're collectible or special for some reason, I keep them. If they include more special features, I generally keep them. If it's just a trailer or something that a Blu-ray lacks (i.e. Warner) I'll just burn the trailer on a disc to keep.

Grim
05-26-2009, 04:11 AM
I sell most of my DVD's to friends. I'm not a stickler for special features unless it was some crazy awesome doc like Document of the Dead or that 4 hour doc on the Blade Runner set, so it's easy to part with most of them.

Odin
05-26-2009, 04:18 AM
I try to trade them away for something thats not on bluray. I'd rather keep them, than sell them for next to nothing. Special editions i always keep.

eric_angelus
05-26-2009, 04:42 AM
I generally will sell the DVD on ebay unless there it is a real favorite that contains what I consider an essential special feature (ie Halloween, Dawn of the Dead). I was thrilled to sell my Caligula movie only DVD that I paid $5 used for $10...and then got the blu ray for less than $15 just recently.

killit
05-26-2009, 04:57 AM
sold em'. i pretty much either want digital files or blu-ray these days. dvd doesnt have enough appeal. I also love how tough blu-rays are! but they gotta step up wioth better releases or I'd rather just get avi's

CaptHowdy
09-23-2009, 02:19 AM
I just dump 'em on eBay. Got a ton on there now of Anchor Bay tins, Limited Editions and other plain old catalog titles that I'm replacing with Blu Ray versions.

indiephantom
09-23-2009, 03:31 AM
I sold off a number of them when I started getting BD, but now that they're not getting much in return, I'm not selling as many. Plus, my parent's place, my girlfriend's, and our family cottage is only equipped with DVD...so I like to have that version available of some of the better titles. I still have about 300 VHS I won't part with, and that's the same here.

Dave
09-23-2009, 03:38 AM
I think I'm just going to do a bulk listing or something. I don't want to spend all the time selling them individually.

captain_brandon
09-23-2009, 03:45 AM
Ebay is a good place to sell those obsolete dvds!But they sell faster when you do a lot of a couple dvds.Last time i made a lot of 12 dvds including great classics such as The Shining,Fargo,Hellraiser etc,someone bought them for 40.00$.That's not bad i think.Here in Canada for the month of May there's is a sale at HMV, you can bring a dvd of your choice and they give you a 7$ debate on a MGM/FOX Blu ray.Last week i trade The Omen and Poltergeist and i bought The Simpsons movie and Sideways,both for 23 $.Great Sale!!Pretty rare for Hmv!!
Or you can just play frisbee with them,or wait for them to disintegrate!!:p

The smae here. I'm currently in the process of taking almost 200-plus standard-def DVDs with the help of my two older brothers (although not the eldest, out sister Lori) through eBay and Bobby said you can use Graigslist.com as well. And I've found a lot more I can stand to part with as well. I'm using the money to mostly save away for retirement, but also because I'm converting to Blu-Ray discs and also because Christmas is right around the corner, and I am gonna treat myself as always.

Great advice there, I wanted to say.

crikan
09-23-2009, 04:32 AM
I can’t get rid of them. I’m one of those sick people that has multiple versions of my favorite DVD’s. I have 3 different versions of Predator on DVD as well as the Blu-ray. There have been a few cases when I take them to Vintage Stock and get a few bucks each.

othervoice1
09-23-2009, 04:34 AM
I actually have sold several dvds once I got the blu-ray as long as I got what I considered a decent price for them. These include The Descent, Nightmare Before Christmas, Spiderman, Kill Bill 1&2, King Kong, Run Lola Run, Lost Boys, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Interview with the Vampire, Underworld, Hellboy, Goodfellas, and Unforgiven. I have kept all my Friday the 13th dvds since they arent really worth anything and I kinda like being able to watch those on any TV in the house, and Audition will be the same way as I have already pre-ordered it on Blu. I actually also sold a few dvds in anticipation of announced but pending or delayed blu-ray releases that I would have to own. These still have not come out yet but they include the Lord of the Rings extended edition trilogy, Scarface, Hero (out but too pricey at the moment), Nightmare on Elm Street (still no US release yet?) and Ben-Hur.
But I dont see anything wrong with keeping the dvd copy for flexibility especially if you find its resale value is only a buck or two.

Egg_Shen
09-23-2009, 05:12 AM
When Paramount announced the original crew Trek films for BD I sold off my DVDs. They happened to go out of print on DVD so I got around $60 for them. Then I bought the Blu-ray box for under $60 during Deep Discountís sale, so I made out fairly well. That said, most DVDs donít sell to well on eBay anymore, so like someone else said I hold on to them so I can watch them elsewhere.

Korngold
09-23-2009, 03:54 PM
I canít get rid of them. Iím one of those sick people that has multiple versions of my favorite DVDís. I have 3 different versions of Predator on DVD as well as the Blu-ray. There have been a few cases when I take them to Vintage Stock and get a few bucks each.

Sadly, I'm the same way.

Kolpitz
09-23-2009, 05:19 PM
With the sole exception of Anchor Bay's Ultimate Edition of Dawn of the Dead, I don't own multiple copies of any of the thousands of movies I own. Like Matt, I just don't care enough about special features to need to own multiple copies of any movie. I do watch special features but I've never watched a special feature more than once. With Dawn of the Dead, I felt the need to keep it simply because I really like the Zombi cut of the film, not enough to own only that version though.

As for what I do with my DVDs once I upgrade them ... I used to sell them on eBay which, truthfully, is kind of a pain in the ass. It takes a long time to list them (even using Turbo Lister programs) and then it takes even longer to package them and ship them. Once I started working for Blockbuster, I found it easier to just trade my old DVDs in there. The manager would usually give me $10 apiece in BB credit, which I would then use to order and buy other movies. Now that I no longer work there (and the store closed), it looks like I might have to go back to eBay. Although, I may take the easier route and trade them in at Newbury Comics or another store that buys used DVDs. However, they don't offer a lot of money and they're pretty picky about what DVDs they'll buy.

Mutilated Prey
09-23-2009, 05:57 PM
I typically keep the DVD if I already have it. I've been known to upgrade from standard DVD to special edition DVD to Blu and I will always get rid of the old standard DVD, but keep the special edition. Also, I only have 1 Blu player now, so if I want to watch a movie in a different room of my house, or at my cottage in NH I will need the "old school" DVD :)

If I go from VHS to DVD then I will always unload the VHS. And it has to be a real DVD release - not a boot.

MorallySound
09-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Once I've upgraded, it's goodbye to the DVD. The only exception where I'll keep the DVD is if it's got some special feature I actually care about that the Blu doesn't have (very rare) or my DVD is autographed.

And another question: How does everyone organize their DVDs and Blu-ray discs? Are they separate from each other, or are they mixed in alphabetically?

spawningblue
09-23-2009, 06:19 PM
I try to only buy Blu Ray releases if they include everything from the previous DVD so I can sell it off. of course there are exceptions such as a Blu Ray release that is missing extras but has it's own exclusive extras. In that case, I will jsut keep both copies. I am pretty anal over extras even if it's just a trailer or a still gallery. I guess if the gallery is just scenes from the movie then it's not a big deal, but I do like the ones that have original posters, advertising, deleted scenes, ect. it bugs me that most Blu Rays don;t bother to carry trailers or Still Galleries over as I hate having multiple copies of a movie on my shelf.

The other thing that sucks as most places will only give you a couple bucks for your used DVDs. Usually like a third of what they sell it for if you are lucky.

As for how I store them, I keep my DVDs and Blu Rays together in alphabetical order. it makes the most sense and I like having all the versions of the movie together for completists sake.

Mutilated Prey
09-23-2009, 06:36 PM
My Blu's are separate from the regular DVDs. Both in alphabetical order.

Korngold
09-23-2009, 07:48 PM
I should mention that not every dvd I have will get upped to blu-ray. Romero's films, Fulci's films, Argento's films, and some of the unholy trilogy may get upgraded, but I don't need all my films on Blu-Ray.

It's like the Godfather trilogy. I have the box set paramount released years ago and I'm happy to see a new cleanup version out there, but it's not really worth it to me to upgrade to blu for it.

Kolpitz
09-23-2009, 09:37 PM
And another question: How does everyone organize their DVDs and Blu-ray discs? Are they separate from each other, or are they mixed in alphabetically?

Right now, I've got all of my Blu-rays first (because they're superior) and then my DVDs, on multiple (5) storage racks (which each hold about 500 or so movies). They're alphabetical, within each format. But, once I get another rack (ran out of room again), I'm going to move my Blu-rays to the end. I'm not really buying any more DVDs so it'll be easier to add BDs to the collection if they're at the end.

CaptHowdy
09-24-2009, 12:31 AM
I can't stand having multiple copies of the same DVD. If I kept everything, the Evil Dead trilogy would take up all my shelf space. ;) But seriously, when you have over 1,000+ DVDs, space becomes a serious issue. At this point I am not worried at all about special features and I just want to replace every DVD I have with it's Blu Ray counterpart (when possible). Some obscure stuff like Pieces or Bad Taste may never see the light of day at 1080p so I'll keep those DVDs.

othervoice1
09-24-2009, 12:55 AM
I keep my blu-rays seperated from my dvds and I have always organized both my dvds and blus according to genre, like family friendly, indie, horror, comedy, foreign etc

Korngold
09-27-2009, 12:42 AM
You know I was going through my dvds and it amazes me how many copies of dvds I have. Stuff like the region 2 phantasm sphere set and the mgm phantasm dvd or the candyman dvd and the candyman special edition or TCM 2 dvd and the special edition TCM2 dvd. You know dvds that may have improved transfers, special features, or trailers not on the other dvds. Others are part of dvd sets which I don't want to part with. Such as the dvd phenomena... I have the dvd and the one part of the Dario Argento set.

I think I am going to lot them on Ebay, but I'm like, "Which one do I choose?"

Grim
09-27-2009, 12:52 AM
You know I was going through my dvds and it amazes me how many copies of dvds I have. Stuff like the region 2 phantasm sphere set and the mgm phantasm dvd or the candyman dvd and the candyman special edition or TCM 2 dvd and the special edition TCM2 dvd. You know dvds that may have improved transfers, special features, or trailers not on the other dvds. Others are part of dvd sets which I don't want to part with. Such as the dvd phenomena... I have the dvd and the one part of the Dario Argento set.

I think I am going to lot them on Ebay, but I'm like, "Which one do I choose?"

I've faced decisions like that before and with most films I can honestly say I'll probably never watch the bonus features again after the first time. Now, there are exceptions. I won't sell my Dawn of the Dead Ultimate Edition until they release something equivalent on blu. I'm not a stickler for things like still galleries, though. They are probably the most boring things to sit through and if you want to see a certain still bad enough, it's usually online somewhere.

Korngold
09-27-2009, 12:57 AM
I've faced decisions like that before and with most films I can honestly say I'll probably never watch the bonus features again after the first time. Now, there are exceptions. I won't sell my Dawn of the Dead Ultimate Edition until they release something equivalent on blu. I'm not a stickler for things like still galleries, though. They are probably the most boring things to sit through and if you want to see a certain still bad enough, it's usually online somewhere.

Good point Grim. I'm going to have to think about it, because getting rid of stuff is usually harder then buying the stuff in the first place.

Grim
09-27-2009, 01:33 AM
Good point Grim. I'm going to have to think about it, because getting rid of stuff is usually harder then buying the stuff in the first place.

I agree. It's definitely something I sit down and think about first before I sell anything.

Horrorphilly
09-27-2009, 02:39 AM
Amen! I wont get rid of my dvds.I have mutiple versions of the same movies.Its for sure a sickness I have or least its not only me. :D

seanI canít get rid of them. Iím one of those sick people that has multiple versions of my favorite DVDís. I have 3 different versions of Predator on DVD as well as the Blu-ray. There have been a few cases when I take them to Vintage Stock and get a few bucks each.

CaptHowdy
09-27-2009, 02:40 AM
I've been dumping all my DVDs lately...it's been quite liberating. Ha.