PDA

View Full Version : Screwballs coming to blu-ray!

indiephantom
05-26-2009, 10:43 PM
Never thought this film would make it, let alone to blu-ray. Fantatic news! WTG Severin!!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B002AWM0W2/ref=pd_luc_mri?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

:banana:

Here's the cover-art for the DVD version! One of my favorite VHS box arts is nicely preserved!

old-boo-radley
05-26-2009, 11:25 PM
I posted about this a week or so back and no one seemed to care. My VHS rip is going to be going Blu, baby!

I am hoping someone releases Screwball Hotel. I have the OOP Loose Screws disc, but part III is just hard to find.

spawningblue
05-26-2009, 11:27 PM
I'll pick this up. I have been on a 80s teen flick kick and this is one I have heard a lot about, but haven't seen. Awesome that its coming out on Blu Ray.

indiephantom
05-27-2009, 12:12 AM
I posted about this a week or so back and no one seemed to care. My VHS rip is going to be going Blu, baby!

I am hoping someone releases Screwball Hotel. I have the OOP Loose Screws disc, but part III is just hard to find.

oops. Sorry dude, I did a quick search but maybe not on this page. Didn't know there was a 3. I have the Loose Screws DVD also.

Katatonia
05-27-2009, 12:18 AM
Whoa, Blu-ray?!? I knew they were planning a DVD release. I never thought in a million years this would come to Blu! :p

I'll definitely pick it up upon release, I love it!

I have the OOP Loose Screws disc also.

Mutilated Prey
05-27-2009, 12:57 AM
Crazy indeed for this to make it to Blu level - well done and welcomed!

Sam
05-27-2009, 02:59 AM
Huge surprise for me as well. I'd love to see more low brow 80s comedies hit Blu IF there's a great master to work with. SCREWBALLS isn't at the top of my favorites list but I appreciate the release - hopefully a sign of good things to come.

rhett
05-27-2009, 05:37 AM
Wow, this news totally flew under my radar, too. Best news ever. I would have just been happy for it to hit DVD, but Blu? The Canadian Tax Shelter has never seen such lavish love before; Severin, you rule.

KR~!
05-27-2009, 11:43 AM
Blu-Ray has finally made it.

Katatonia
05-27-2009, 11:45 AM
Blu-Ray has finally made it.

Not quite, we still need Troll 2 to go Blu. :evil:

KamuiX
08-13-2009, 10:35 PM
For those of you that were ready to grab this in a couple weeks, I just received word from Severin that it's been delayed until September 29th. The DVD will still hit on August 25th though.

Also, the Eagles Over London Blu will be ready in a couple of week, there were some last minute production changes made before duplication was completed.

spawningblue
08-13-2009, 10:53 PM
For those of you that were ready to grab this in a couple weeks, I just received word from Severin that it's been delayed until September 29th. The DVD will still hit on August 25th though.

Ahh well, I'm broke now anyways.

Katatonia
08-14-2009, 12:35 AM

Eh crap! Oh well, no big deal, I still have the R4 DVD to tide me over the extra few weeks if needed.

I have the Blu-ray on pre-order for $14.99 at Amazon, which is a helluva good price.

indiephantom
08-14-2009, 01:44 AM
Well, delayed and not cancelled at least. I still have the blu on pre-order. Here's hoping it's not a longer wait than that.

Thanks KamuiX for the update.

indiephantom
09-29-2009, 10:16 PM
Now I'm hearing it's pushed back to October 13th. :rolleyes:

old-boo-radley
09-29-2009, 10:30 PM
27th, actually. :X

rhett
09-29-2009, 11:04 PM
Yeah, we're told this is the last delay, but we were told that with the October 13th date, as well...

horrorlover
09-29-2009, 11:20 PM
about 2 weeks ago I got enough of the delays and just bought the DVD version of this movie, it was cheaper anyhow ;)

Katatonia
09-30-2009, 12:51 AM
about 2 weeks ago I got enough of the delays and just bought the DVD version of this movie, it was cheaper anyhow ;)

I have the Blu-ray on pre-order for just $14.99 at Amazon, still cheaper than the DVD really. I can wait a couple more weeks. :)

indiephantom
09-30-2009, 01:28 AM
local stores now saying November 24th. :gay:

KamuiX
09-30-2009, 02:04 AM
Yep, my last contact with them said it was pushed back two weeks from October 27th. Maybe now it's four weeks. Oh well, as long as we have it by Christmas :p

Seems a lot of these companies are having a bit of trouble jumping into Blu-Ray. Media Blasters was supposed to have Ichi the Killer out like in March if my memory serves me correctly, and it STILL isn't out. Seems weird regardless, since Inglorious Bastards was a great first BR release from them, free of any errors, and came out right on time.

indiephantom
09-30-2009, 03:42 AM
Seems weird regardless, since Inglorious Bastards was a great first BR release from them, free of any errors, and came out right on time.

I really have to get that one eventually. Probably get it online as my local HMV is selling it for like 40 bucks. I do hope Severin stays on top of these BD releases and there are no further delays for Screwballs or Hardware.

Katatonia
09-30-2009, 07:16 AM
Geez, what's the hold-up on this one... Hasn't the release date already been pushed back 4 or 5 times now? :(

indiephantom
10-15-2009, 12:07 AM
anyone find this? Apparently it's availabe according to Amazon. I cancelled my pre-order after all the fuss and such, but I was hoping to find it yesterday to no avail. Just curious.

Katatonia
10-15-2009, 01:41 AM
anyone find this? Apparently it's availabe according to Amazon. I cancelled my pre-order after all the fuss and such, but I was hoping to find it yesterday to no avail. Just curious.

My pre-order never shipped from Amazon, and I got an order update today expecting a delivery date between 10/28-11/10

Most every other website I've seen has changed the release date to October 27th. Amazon took a while to update the release date when Severin's Eagles Over London Blu-ray was delayed also.

This seems to just be a case of Severin continually missing the announced release date. It's been changed at least three times now. After all, my Hardware Blu-ray shipped earlier this week from Amazon, and arrived earlier today.

indiephantom
10-15-2009, 02:33 AM
Thanks for the update Kat.

The only Severin Blu I've seen around locally at stores is The Inglorious Bastards, which HMV has here for a whopping 38.99...so it looks like online will be the way to go anyway.

Katatonia
10-15-2009, 02:59 AM
Thanks for the update Kat.

The only Severin Blu I've seen around locally at stores is The Inglorious Bastards, which HMV has here for a whopping 38.99...so it looks like online will be the way to go anyway.

Yikes! That's the only Severin Blu I've seen in actual stores so far also, but at $24.99.

I just hope Severin finally releases this baby on October 27th! :eek2:

horrorlover
10-15-2009, 03:26 AM
I got the DVD of Screwballs, and I wanted to let you know the blu ray might not be all that hot, because it was mastered from a 16mm film print, and the picture quality of the dvd doesnt' even take full advantage of the DVD format, so I don't know if the blu ray will be anything special. I coudlnt' wait for the blu ray, but i was happy with the DVD, even though the picture quality wasn't anything special.

Katatonia
10-15-2009, 06:51 AM
I got the DVD of Screwballs, and I wanted to let you know the blu ray might not be all that hot, because it was mastered from a 16mm film print, and the picture quality of the dvd doesnt' even take full advantage of the DVD format, so I don't know if the blu ray will be anything special. I coudlnt' wait for the blu ray, but i was happy with the DVD, even though the picture quality wasn't anything special.

16mm film prints can look very nice on Blu-ray, I'm not really worried about that.

DVD Empire now lists the release date as 11/03.

If Severin is reading this thread...get on the ball and announce a solid release date already! :eek2:

MorallySound
10-15-2009, 04:00 PM

The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre is 16mm and the Blu-ray looks outstanding! Same with Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter.

So the Blu for Screwballs will indeed look better than the DVD.

Katatonia
10-21-2009, 01:46 AM
According to Amazon, it will be in stock on October 24th now. So hopefully I'll have this baby in my hands soon!

Vlachio
10-21-2009, 08:26 AM
According to Amazon, it will be in stock on October 24th now. So hopefully I'll have this baby in my hands soon!

I'm very much looking to get this. I still don't see it available anywhere.

Katatonia
10-22-2009, 01:35 PM
I'm very much looking to get this. I still don't see it available anywhere.

It's shipping from Amazon now...just received my shipment confirmation earlier. :) $14.99 was a pretty good deal for this one, while that price was valid there.

Katatonia
10-27-2009, 09:15 AM
I received the Blu-ray yesterday from Amazon.

The 1080p AVC transfer isn't spectacular, but it's probably the best we're ever going to see it considering the source materials still available for the film. Some scenes look better than others. There's a message after the film ends that the transfer was sourced from a surviving 16mm Interpositive print from the New Horizons vault.

The audio track is presented in Dolby Mono, encoded at 256kbps. As with Hardware, I don't believe Severin are going with lossless or uncompressed tracks on their Blu-rays for some reason. I'm not sure it would have really helped much here anyways.

The deleted scenes were only found on an old Spanish VHS release. I would assume they're the same ones that are on Severin's DVD release. The audio is unfortunately dubbed in Spanish on those, but English subtitles are thankfully provided.

The other bonus features are all presented in 1080 HD.

All in all, a solid release and easily worth the $14.99 I paid.

Stige
10-27-2009, 11:11 AM
finally watched the dvd of this "movie" think thats enough, don't have any sentimental feeling forit so it was a first watch for me. No bluray here

indiephantom
11-01-2009, 09:15 AM
thanks for the review Kat. I will get this eventually, but I think stores here are expecting it on the 10th.

Nailwraps
11-22-2009, 02:35 AM
Blu-Ray has given us a (negative) review.:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Screwballs-Blu-ray-Review/5683/

BlackAndBlu81
11-22-2009, 04:32 AM
Not surprising,if it isnt a new mega blockbuster. They usually give bad reviews to independent labels. Not always but usually. I think they gave let sleeping corpses lie a 3.5 video rating. That may be true if comparing it to new movie on blu. Fans would know it should be a 5 compared to the other releases of the movie.

Katatonia
11-22-2009, 11:18 AM
Blu-Ray has given us a (negative) review.:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Screwballs-Blu-ray-Review/5683/

I usually take Blu-ray.com's reviews on the transfer with a grain of salt. They gave two stars for Kickboxer saying it was scarcely better than the old DVD, and I thought it looked fantastic in HD far exceeding the old DVD. Even the Kickboxer screengrabs they posted looked damned good, so I'm wondering if the reviewer over there needs to get to an eye exam.

Is Screwballs reference material for Blu-ray? Not even close, but considering the source materials still available for the film, I can't really complain. It was a very low budget genre film shot on 16mm. If the actual negatives for the film still existed, then yes it would look some better...but apparently they no longer exist and the Interpositive from the vault is as good as it gets.

I don't understand what they were talking about regarding the Deleted Scenes "jitters left and right" throughout. Unless they're referring to the minor tracking lines seen at times from the VHS source for those deleted scenes, I just don't see it. I certainly didn't notice anything when the opening text note appeared.

rxfiend
11-23-2009, 04:23 AM
I think the blu-ray review is a bit harsh. Sure it's not demo material, but considering the print source, I think it looks fine.