PDA

View Full Version : What obscure/favorite horror DVDs have you bought twice?

jae
12-21-2000, 01:12 AM
Like say for me, one of my favorite movies growing up, one that I have fond memories of watching as a kid is The Munsters' Revenge. I recently saw that the VHS seems to be out of print and am thinking of picking up a 2nd copy of the DVD in case it disappears and something happens to my copy. I'm also considering picking up 2 copies of the better Vincent Price/AIP/Poe movies when they all come out as well as a few of the rarer Mario Bava DVDs like Whip and the Body..

Have any of you bought an obscure or favorite one twice for posterity?

Lindane
12-21-2000, 11:26 AM
I bought Re-Animator and Nekromantik twice on DVD.

AceRimRat
12-21-2000, 09:54 PM
I have Elite's Re-Animator, and I'm picking up Anchor Bay's when it hits.

Might get both versions of Franco's Jack the Ripper (Elite and that Euro-outfit) if either ever comes out.

Debating the Beyond tin because I liked the regular disc so much.

And of course, I've replicated virtually all my VHS horror stuff on DVD.

("DUH I FORGOT..." STUFF BELOW)
Oh, yeah, and I have Elite's NOTLD, and somehow deluded myself into buying not just Anchor Bay's 30th anniversary edition, but the 30th anniversary LIMITED edition, so I get the extra-special CD of the crappy soundtrack. (My apologies if anyone reading this board is actually the yutz who wrote the new score.) I also have the remake. And I'm sure even though I have the Dawn theatrical cut, I'll buy whatever Anchor Bay comes up with next year or the year after.

[This message has been edited by AceRimRat (edited 12-21-2000).]

Dave
12-21-2000, 11:07 PM
AceRimRat

Burn it! BURN IT!

------------------
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com (http://www.horrordvds.com)

fishhead
12-22-2000, 12:03 AM
I have two copies of the Substance release of Bad Taste. One to watch and one as a backup http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/wink.gif When the Anchor Bay version comes out, I've already decided to pick up both the collector's version and the regular version.

I've also replaced the original Evil Dead II disc with the newer one and will also do so with the upcoming Dawn of the Dead. Otherwise, I really don't like multiple purchases of the same disc unless there's something really outstandingly different.

------------------
"You know the rules, when we work undercover we have to remain faceless."
"Oh, I get it, just in case we kill lots of innocent people."
Frank and Ozzy, Bad Taste

mutleyhyde
12-22-2000, 12:17 AM
Fishhead and Jae; Why do you guys feel compelled to have backup copies? Are you afraid of laser rot, or do you just have bum friends that rip your shit off? I only buy multiple copies when something goes out of print (if they're around) to put on eBay. I've just never heard anything about the deterioration of dvd media. Maybe I'm too trusting, but I just don't think it's a problem. By the way, if you buy one disc to play, and one to horde, and there is a defect, chances are the defect will affect both discs equally. It's not like records where the grooves can get dirty or scratched, or like tape that can get worn. Yeah, a dvd can get scratches, but only serious damage will have any effect. I understand if you're some moron who likes to double up on the funtionality of your discs by using them as coasters or for frisbee, but I doubt anyone here is like that. Anyway, I could be missing something, and I could just be flat out wrong. If so, please let me know.
Peace!

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde

[This message has been edited by mutleyhyde (edited 12-21-2000).]

jae
12-22-2000, 01:16 AM
Well, honestly how many people out there like The Munsters' Revenge? Even Munsters fans tend to say its not as good or as well known as Munster Go Home from 1966.. Yet I grew up loving it and if it was to go out of print I feel that I would have a hell of a time finding a replacement copy if mine should get stolen, lost, broken, etc. Its one of those movies, that however cheesy or silly, I feel I HAVE to have a copy..

I'm not worried about the DVD going bad, but about things that could happen like I mentioned above.

Maybe I'm paranoid but I just feel a movie like this is a bit harder to come by than say Evil Dead 2 which has 5 DVD versions and a VHS version for sale and readily available at any given time.

mutleyhyde
12-22-2000, 01:28 AM
That makes sense. Especially your last paragraph. And I totally hate when "friends" steal. I bought the Beastie Boys' License to Ill three fucking times in high school! I'm kind of an anti-social hermit now-a-days, so I don't worry about "friendly-theft" anymore. I guess I am still screwed if I get broken into or have a fire, but I just can't live like that (paranoid) anymore; it takes too much energy AND money.

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

M. Hyde

jae
12-22-2000, 01:48 AM
I know what you mean.. I'm an antisocial hermit myself by choice and I really enjoy it.. I've had friends who would do nothing but use you, call you up in the middle of the night to come pick them up downtown, borrow stuff from you and never return it.. I don't need that. I have 1 good friend who I hang out with and thats great by me.. Sometimes I feel I'm destined to be the old creepy guy who lives alone and has all the neighborhood kids saying that I chop people up and bury them in my backyard.. But who cares if you enjoy being alone.. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

And after thinking about it, I am most definately paranoid.. There are a few copies of TMR on Ebay now.. I doubt it will disappear completely but I think about that stuff occasionally..

Vdlman
12-22-2000, 01:51 AM
I already have Anchor Bay's Dawn of the Dead Director's Cut DVD and their Day of the Dead DVD. I'll be buying the special editions when they come out. I also have the German Dragon Film Entertainment DVD of Street Trash. Next year, I'll get Synapse's special edition of it.

Mark Relford
12-22-2000, 03:16 AM
I have Elite's Evil Dead, Maniac, and Re-Animator. I'll be getting the remastered editions as soon as they come out. Also have Elite's NOTLD and Russo's Hackmaster 2000 edition. (It makes a good coaster!) http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/wink.gif Same thing for Dawn. (DC flipper and Theatrical.)
Last, but certainly not least, I've went through five VHS copies of ROTLD over the years.

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

[This message has been edited by Mark Relford (edited 12-21-2000).]

Vdlman
12-22-2000, 03:52 AM
Right now, the only copy of ROTLD I have is a VHS tape that was mastered off the old Image laserdisc. It will probably be enough to hold me over til the movie comes out on DVD.

AceRimRat
12-22-2000, 03:55 AM
Hackmaster 2000 edition has to be the best name for that POS I've ever heard. LOL!

And, Dave, I'm not burning my copy because I like having copies of the worst movies I've ever seen just to spread the horror around. (So I got a sick sense of humor, I once reviewed Pat Boone's heavy-metal-cover album.) http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/biggrin.gif

And besides, if I burn it, and the ashes float up into the sky, won't it cause some kind of ROTLD thing? People turning into over-the-hill zombies or something like that?

fishhead
12-22-2000, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by mutleyhyde:
Fishhead and Jae; Why do you guys feel compelled to have backup copies?

I really like the movie and got a second copy against such disasters as my breaking the disc, scratching the disc, spilling my beer on the disc, dropping the disc, etc. I don't consider these things at all likely, but then, when it's such an important disc like Bad Taste, well, I want to take some precautions http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

Besides, they say that DVD, unlike tape, isn't degraded by use, but on a quantum mechanical level that simply can't be true... http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/wink.gif

------------------
"You know the rules, when we work undercover we have to remain faceless."
"Oh, I get it, just in case we kill lots of innocent people."
Frank and Ozzy, Bad Taste

Mark Relford
12-22-2000, 04:24 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by AceRimRat:
(So I got a sick sense of humor, I once reviewed Pat Boone's heavy-metal-cover album.) http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/biggrin.gif

Pat Boone's In A Metal Mood!!! http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/eek.gif My buddy has that album and it's sheer torture! Have you ever listened to Shatner's Transformed Man (a personal favorite.) and The Shaggs' Philosophy of the World album? (The worst "rock" group ever. Guaranteed to clear out a crowded room.)

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

mutleyhyde
12-22-2000, 06:58 AM
Fishhead, don't go spillin' your beer on dvds! Sure, the disc can be cleaned with a warm wet rag, but the waste of such fine beverage! What a true horror!

------------------

M. Hyde

DeepDownTraumaHound
12-22-2000, 04:48 PM
I agree with Dave. Burn that fucking
Night of the living dead 30th anniversery DVD, horrible abomination. The brainless morons who tampered with that film should be should in the head as a true homage. No offense to anyone who chooses to keep it, though. But just think of that shit assed acting! and that stupid ass preacher fuck who wrote the new sound track. what a loser. I'm disgusted with that mess. sorry, I get pissed thinking about it.

------------------
"Do you have to open graves to find a girl to fall in love with?"

mutleyhyde
12-22-2000, 05:09 PM
Obviously. Getting back to the topic at hand, I think I will be getting Image's second release of Nosferatu. I already have Elite's Masterworks of German Horror set, which includes Nosferatu, but I read that the print for this new Image release is stunning.

------------------

M. Hyde

AceRimRat
12-22-2000, 10:46 PM
To catch up:

Mark, that CD made my dog cry when I played it on my stereo.

DDTH, maybe I'll let *you* burn my copy, get some of that aggression out! http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

And speaking of backup (opinions), Mutley, I agree, what a waste of good beer.

Scorpio
12-23-2000, 02:43 AM
The only film I've bought twice on DVD was Taxi Driver when the remastered edition came out. Actually, I got it free. I'll be doing the same with Monty Python & The Holy Grail and The Princess Bride special editions when they come out as announced. Luckily, I've yet to open them so I should have no problem pawning them off or returning them to Suncoast if I so choose.
<FONT color="black" size="-9">

[This message has been edited by Scorpio (edited 12-22-2000).]