PDA

View Full Version : Childs Play, Misery & Hannibal trilogy coming to Blu

rxfiend
05-28-2009, 07:28 AM
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2772

In an early announcement to retailers, it has been revealed that MGM Home Entertainment will release a set of highly-appreciated horror movies on September 15: 'Child's Play', 'Misery', and 'The Hannibal Lecter Anthology', which will include 'Manhunter', 'The Silence of the Lambs' and 'Hannibal'. No spec information is available at this time.

----

Kind of a piss poor line up from MGM. Only one I'd be interested in is Manhunter.

Katatonia
05-28-2009, 07:57 AM
I really don't care about the entire anthology, so I hope they'll sell Manhunter seperately. But considering how MGM treated Manhunter on DVD, I doubt it.

Child's Play piques my interest too, but I'll wait and see what extras they'll include.

Matt89
05-28-2009, 08:38 AM
It'd be nice if they'd release something like Blow Out or Dressed to Kill.

~Matt

fceurich39
05-28-2009, 03:30 PM
I really don't care about the entire anthology, so I hope they'll sell Manhunter seperately. But considering how MGM treated Manhunter on DVD, I doubt it.

Child's Play piques my interest too, but I'll wait and see what extras they'll include.

atleast the latest mgm dvd of manhunter is widescreen and is the true version not the edited anchor bay version

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/DVD/Manhunter/William-L-Petersen/e/027616085597/?itm=2

vampyr789
05-28-2009, 04:13 PM
It'd be nice if they'd release something like Blow Out
~Matt

i second thatl,but it would be nice if they released a decent DVD of this...

Katatonia
05-28-2009, 11:07 PM
atleast the latest mgm dvd of manhunter is widescreen and is the true version not the edited anchor bay version

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/DVD/Manhunter/William-L-Petersen/e/027616085597/?itm=2

How's the Anchor Bay "Restored Director's Cut" DVD version edited? It has a running time of 124 minutes, whereas that MGM DVD lists a running time of only 120 minutes.

fceurich39
05-29-2009, 12:53 AM
How's the Anchor Bay "Restored Director's Cut" DVD version edited? It has a running time of 124 minutes, whereas that MGM DVD lists a running time of only 120 minutes.

here's where i seen the info about the anchor bay dvd being edited not sure about the director's cut but i think the dialogue is edited in that too although the anchor bay director's cut does include a couple more scenes i still prefer the mgm disc that came out in 2007

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091474/board/thread/134820249?d=134820249&p=1#134820249

spawningblue
05-29-2009, 01:37 AM
here's where i seen the info about the anchor bay dvd being edited not sure about the director's cut but i think the dialogue is edited in that too although the anchor bay director's cut does include a couple more scenes i still prefer the mgm disc that came out in 2007

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091474/board/thread/134820249?d=134820249&p=1#134820249

It's actually quite confusing. You pretty much need to buy the movie three times to have every edition.

"Anchor Bay released a Limited Edition 2-DVD set in 2000 that featured an erroneously labeled "Theatrical Cut" (it actually omits some footage from the theatrical version and features some material from the "Director's Cut") and Mann's "Director's Cut" along with some retrospective featurettes. A standard edition (an individual release for the first disc of the 2-disc set) was also released at the same time.

In 2003, Anchor Bay released the "Restored Director's Cut" which is very close to the "Director's Cut" on the 2000 disc but omits one scene. It does, however, feature a commentary track by Mann.

In 2004, MGM (current holders of The Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal) released a pan and scanned version of the movie that was the one seen in theaters. Finally, in 2007 MGM released the theatrical cut in widescreen on DVD for the first time as part of "The Hannibal Lecter Collection" alongside The Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal. It was also released by itself on September 11, 2007."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhunter_(film)

So pretty much there are four versions out on DVD. There is the theatrical cut, the theatrical cut hybrid from the 2001 Anchor bay release, the Director's Cut from the 2001 release, and the Director's Cut from the 2003 release that omits a scene.

Grim
05-29-2009, 04:36 AM
This cracks me up. I just bought Child's Play the other day to put my purchase just over $50 (I had a $50 rewardzone certificate). Oh well, I'll buy it again since I basically paid $2 for the DVD and two other blu-rays. And Manhunter, if it's released separately, will be another purchase.

And I agree with Matt, let's get some DePalma out on blu.

Matt89
05-29-2009, 06:22 AM
This cracks me up. I just bought Child's Play the other day to put my purchase just over $50 (I had a $50 rewardzone certificate). Oh well, I'll buy it again since I basically paid $2 for the DVD and two other blu-rays. And Manhunter, if it's released separately, will be another purchase.

And I agree with Matt, let's get some DePalma out on blu.

Yeah no kidding. I watched Dressed to Kill last week on my buddy's 46" Sony Bravia....looked like SHIT.

~Matt

indiephantom
05-29-2009, 03:03 PM
Yeah no kidding. I watched Dressed to Kill last week on my buddy's 46" Sony Bravia....looked like SHIT.

~Matt

Don't forget the lenses and filters that were used by DePalma and many filmmakers during the period. Grainy, hazy, and foggy were common. But blu-ray should definitely improved detail, color, and audio. But I'm not holding my breath for a great improvement.

Sam
05-29-2009, 07:30 PM
Luckily I never did buy the recent Child's Play DVD so this Blu Ray may be on the radar along with Manhunter. I'll stick to the SD DVD (and Criterion LD) of Silence of the Lambs.

blu
05-30-2009, 03:54 PM
I already have the Silence of the Lambs BD but I'll definitely pick up Child's Play. Saw it on CinemaxHD earlier this year. Cheesy 80's goodness.

grodd
09-06-2009, 02:20 AM
Got Child's Play today. Very happy, the movie never looked better. Very solid upgrade over the HD Broadcast version. No DNR, lots of detail.

Grim
09-20-2009, 12:00 AM
I got Child's Play in today. It comes with the special edition DVD as well. Odd. And I still wish they released Manhunter separately.

Katatonia
09-20-2009, 02:00 AM
I got Child's Play in today. It comes with the special edition DVD as well. Odd. And I still wish they released Manhunter separately.

Odd, but certainly more welcome than a crappy Digital Copy disc which I'd never use. At least they put all of the special features on the Blu-ray too, including the three Easter Eggs! :) They've included some DVD's with Blu-rays (Road House for example) and didn't even port the old Features onto the Blu-ray. So, if you wanted to watch the commentary there, you'd have to play the DVD...or somehow sync up the DVD to the Blu-ray while playing both discs.

I'm actually surprised that MGM/Fox didn't add the old Fullscreen DVD of Child's Play to be perfectly honest. They added the old DVD release to the Spaceballs Blu-ray, and not the newer Special Edition DVD.

rhett
09-20-2009, 06:49 AM
The menu for Child's Play is really well done, too. Top marks all around for that one. Misery comes with the DVD too, but unlike Child's Play, the Blu-ray is bare bones while all the extras are on the DVD. I'd like to see more of that, though, because then you know you know you really can let go of your old DVD and never feel like you'll need it again.

rxfiend
09-20-2009, 06:30 PM
While I don't have it myself, I've read that the Hannibal set is a disappointment, particularly with the transfers on Manhunter and especially on Hannibal. Anyone here pick this up?

dickieduvet
09-20-2009, 08:17 PM
Watched Child's Play this afternoon, It looks very soft in places and fairly good in others. Overall a decent transfer, Exactly how it looked theatrically back in 1988 I expect.

CaptHowdy
09-23-2009, 11:41 PM
They screwed the pooch with Misery, in my opinion. No special features on the Blu Ray, but repacked a DVD with it? WTF is that about? Very stupid move...I'm upgrading to get away from DVD, not be stuck with it because the studio is lazy.

rxfiend
09-24-2009, 08:53 AM
I think it's great MGM is including DVDs with some of their blu-rays. I wish more companies would do that.

spawningblue
09-24-2009, 04:31 PM
They screwed the pooch with Misery, in my opinion. No special features on the Blu Ray, but repacked a DVD with it? WTF is that about? Very stupid move...I'm upgrading to get away from DVD, not be stuck with it because the studio is lazy.

Is the DVD atleast the Collector's Edition, so you can sell off your DVD?

rhett
09-24-2009, 05:22 PM
Is the DVD atleast the Collector's Edition, so you can sell off your DVD?

Yes, the DVD is the collector's edition with all the extras. While I'd like to see all the extras on the Blu-ray, too, I certainly do like this method as well, since I can watch the extras (and the film) on the go on any DVD player. I too hope MGM keeps it up with including the DVDs in with the Blu-rays - then you really can get rid of your DVDs without any problems or worries about compatibility issues.

Grim
09-24-2009, 05:25 PM
The extras were more than likely be in standard def even if they were on the blu-ray disc, so you're not really losing anything except the convenience of one disc. I also think this is neat, as I have plenty of films I would love to show friends, but I only have them on blu.

CaptHowdy
09-26-2009, 02:14 AM
The extras were more than likely be in standard def even if they were on the blu-ray disc, so you're not really losing anything except the convenience of one disc. I also think this is neat, as I have plenty of films I would love to show friends, but I only have them on blu.

I can see your point, but why leave the commentaries off of the Blu Ray?

Grim
09-26-2009, 06:14 AM
Hats off to MGM on the Child's Play disc. Not only is the menu design really cool and creative, but it's littered with little easter eggs that lead you to clips of a CG Chucky saying goofy things. Pretty impressed to be honest.

Marv Inc.
09-26-2009, 12:37 PM
My childs play should be here next week, i'am glad to read that the film has'nt been DNR and there's plenty of grain present.

captain_brandon
09-26-2009, 01:12 PM
My childs play should be here next week, i'am glad to read that the film has'nt been DNR and there's plenty of grain present.

I agree so much. I love the natural grain, which is how a lot of natural soft films were shot. I've noticed my awesome Blu-Rays of classics like Ghostbusters and RoboCop, I've seen people complain about online, but rest assured, it is how they're supposed to look. So right on.