PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Grindhouse DVD thus far?

rhett
05-28-2009, 09:29 PM
Although they've only released six movies in the nine years they've been catering to DVD, Grindhouse Releasing has certainly left a mark on the cult horror scene. With their newest, CAT IN THE BRAIN, a must for any horror fan's collection, it begs the question now - which release is their best?

allmessedup
05-28-2009, 09:36 PM
THE BEYOND without a doubt.

Mitbox
05-28-2009, 10:22 PM
Great catalog from Grindhouse, I'd go with The Beyond, although I love the Vine theater experience audio on Pieces (I love the idea more than the actual audience audio). I'm yet to see Cat in the Brain.

Shlockjock81
05-28-2009, 10:23 PM
I have to go with The Beyond, even though the DVD is exactly the same as the Anchor Bay DVD... so technically all they did was RELEASE it. Cannibal Holocaust is a definite close 2nd, though.

spawningblue
05-28-2009, 10:26 PM
The Beyond as I waited what seemed like forever for someone to finally re-release it. Second place, and really close is Pieces. Had so much fun seeing it for the first time!

Workshed
05-28-2009, 10:56 PM
"Cat in the Brain" is a hilarious title, although I've yet to see it. Will wait to vote until I do.

Rockmjd
05-28-2009, 11:34 PM
I'll go with Cannibal Holocaust.

vampyr789
05-28-2009, 11:45 PM
Pieces is easily one of my favorite slashers, and i had been looking for the DVD for years then good ol' Grindhouse comes around announcing the DVD. then what 10 odd years (lol) later it finally arrives. a great DVD all around

The Anchor Bay/Grindhouse DVD for The Beyond is awesome too, a very close second.

i have yet to own Cannibal Holocaust, but i will soon...
i really want to see Cat in the Brain

Katatonia
05-29-2009, 12:12 AM
Pieces, followed by I Drink Your Blood

HellRazor
05-29-2009, 12:50 AM
I DRINK YOUR BLOOD. A lot of people forget that this was once a real Holy Grail of 70's drive-in cinema, finding it uncut was virtually impossible.

Of course I bought one of the early numbered special edition releases from Barrel before it got picked up by Grindhouse...with autographs from all the cast members and other extras. :)

Mutilated Prey
05-29-2009, 01:36 AM
I have to go with Pieces because it is such a great upgrade to what was previously released/available.

The Chaostar
05-29-2009, 01:36 AM
Cannibal Holocaust is interlaced. Cannibal Ferox is not anamorphic and very bad looking.
Beyond though is a marvel to behold. It is a wonderful release.

msw7
05-29-2009, 02:02 AM
Cannibal Ferox.

I haven't seen their releases of Cannibal Holocaust or the Beyond, but I prefer Ferox to both (as a movie...). I reserve the right to change my mind on the Beyond when I see it again though... (I hope to pick up their release of it soon)

satans-sadists
05-29-2009, 03:40 AM
Pieces, followed by I Drink Your Blood

As usual, this dude knows what he's talking about!

x666x
05-29-2009, 05:30 AM
My autographed copy of I Drink Your Blood takes it.

I have the longer EC Ultrabit version of Cannibal Holocaust

I have both the Grindhouse version and the better framed Sazuma version of CF that comes in the tin.

Pieces is great but I don;t see too many future viewings for me. It is simply a case of too little too late. If I was 10 years younger it would be different.

dave13
05-29-2009, 05:46 AM
i've picked up all of em except i drink your blood, which im sure i'll pick up soon enough. I can't justify voting for the beyond despite it being probably my favorite movie of the bunch, since it pretty much is a direct copy of anchor bay's original. kudos to grindhouse for rereleasing it, but i don't think they can take the credit for the creation of the overall dvd. cat in the brain would rank third for me, and cannibal holocaust second, but for me pieces is the top choice. i'd never seen the film before buying it, so the craziness of it was a very welcome surprise. the deciding factor for me is the absolutely amazing interview with paul smith on the second disc. i was completely blown away by how interesting this guy was.

Mr. Eddy
05-29-2009, 07:39 AM
It's gotta be Holocaust for me.

Hellbilly
05-29-2009, 08:07 AM
The Beyond for me. AB had first dips on that one but I don't care.

thrashard76
05-29-2009, 07:45 PM
The Beyond

I still need to pick up Pieces.

rhett
05-29-2009, 08:08 PM
To clarify, the Anchor Bay edition was made entirely by Grindhouse, it was merely distributed by Anchor Bay. It's a fantastic product, but the reason I wouldn't vote for it is because they didn't upgrade it enough bringing it to their own label. A two-disc set would have been nice, especially one with that long Fulci doc they keep teasing us with on their Fulci extras.

Cat in the Brain was great, but Pieces has to win for overall DVD presentation. The visual upgrade was tremendous, and those extras, with the theater track and the great interviews are perfect. I still have yet to pick up (or see) I Drink Your Blood. I'm looking forward to it. I don't own Ferox, either, but don't care for the film at all.

bwana the clown
05-30-2009, 12:55 AM
I Drink Your Blood is not only my favourite Grindhouse Releasing DVD, but it's also my favourite DVD ever!

dave13
05-30-2009, 02:03 AM
To clarify, the Anchor Bay edition was made entirely by Grindhouse, it was merely distributed by Anchor Bay.

thats interesting, i was completely unaware of that. still stand by my vote. Im surprised Ferox is getting any votes, what with that disappointing non-anamorphic transfer...

MadmanMarz
05-30-2009, 04:19 AM
This is a tough one..but I will have to go with Pieces. This movie is still tons of fun and as mentioned a huge upgrade from the Diamond version I had.

Vlachio
05-30-2009, 06:31 AM
Pieces is easily one of my favorite slashers, and i had been looking for the DVD for years then good ol' Grindhouse comes around announcing the DVD. then what 10 odd years (lol) later it finally arrives. a great DVD all around.

So you were looking for the DVD when you were 8? LMAO! :lol: Pieces gets my vote too!

vampyr789
05-30-2009, 08:02 AM
So you were looking for the DVD when you were 8? LMAO! :lol: Pieces gets my vote too!

NO..lol i said "i had been looking for the DVD for years." Not four years! lol

only about 2 years... so i was 12 :rolleyes:

fceurich39
05-30-2009, 09:27 PM
i have all six my fav grindhouse dvds in order are
1.pieces
2.i drink your blood
3.the beyond
4.cat in the brain
5.cannibal holocaust
6.cannibal ferox

evildeadfan123
05-30-2009, 11:53 PM
I have all of the Grindhouse DVDs except for The Beyond, because I have the Limited Edition DVD, so out of the ones I have, I have to go with Cannibal Ferox, with Cannibal Holocaust a very close 2nd. I have the 3D Lenticular DVD of Cat In The Brain, but have not viewed it yet.