PDA

View Full Version : Save up to $65 on blu-rays at amazon.com!

Matt89
06-11-2009, 06:02 PM
For those interested, I just got an email today about a promotion that amazon's having from now until June 22nd. From a selection of Fox/MGM blu-rays, amazon's giving you a certain amount of money off your order ($8 off for 2 blu-rays, $12 off for 3 blu-rays, $18 off 4 blu-rays, etc etc all the way up to $65 off 10 blu-rays). There are some movies on here that I need to replace on blu and with the high Canadian dollar (it's up to $0.91 US and climbing) it actually is worth it. I just ordered 3 blu-rays and my total order came to $69 (roughly $75 CAD).

Here's the link:

Amazon Sale (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=pe_20890_12283470_hi_img_1/?&docId=1000387421).

~Matt

Grim
06-11-2009, 06:22 PM
I was looking at this list, as I got the email too, but then I found myself really struggling to pick movies to get, which means that I'd probably be buying just to buy. Though Young Frankenstein and Vanishing Point are two films I want. I'll sit on it for a day or so and then make up my mind.

Matt89
06-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Yeah, I grabbed The Silence of the Lambs, Raging Bull and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (all DVDs I got rid of in anticipation of their blu-ray release). There are a couple I'm considering, like The Sand Pebbles and The Longest Day, but I haven't really been meaning to buy them, so yeah it'd kinda be like buying them for the sake of buying them. Right now I just wanna grab the blu-rays I either REALLY want or need to replace on blu. THEN I'll go after the other ones.

But hey, no love for South Pacific? :lol: (apparently it has an amazing transfer, though)

~Matt

Grim
06-11-2009, 06:38 PM
Raging Bull and Butch Cassidy were next on my list, so I may get them too as the savings on this deal is awesome. The "Watch" flicks are also two that I want, but I think I can wait on them because there are far more other releases that I am excited about.

Matt89
06-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Shit I looked up Vanishing Point. Seems like one of those low-budget early '70s "new Hollywood"-type films. Looks kinda like a cross between Bullitt (the car chase scenes) and Easy Rider. This is getting more and more tempting...shit I might just add it to the order. (Could this film have been an inspiration for the chase scenes in The French Connection? Who knows...)

Speaking of which, anybody seen French Connection II?? Is it really as bad as people say it is? I'm tempted...

~Matt

Grim
06-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Shit I looked up Vanishing Point. Seems like one of those low-budget early '70s "new Hollywood"-type films. Looks kinda like a cross between Bullitt (the car chase scenes) and Easy Rider. This is getting more and more tempting...shit I might just add it to the order. (Could this film have been an inspiration for the chase scenes in The French Connection? Who knows...)

Speaking of which, anybody seen French Connection II?? Is it really as bad as people say it is? I'm tempted...

~Matt

I know Vanishing Point had a pretty big influence on Death Proof, right down to the characters having a whole conversation about it. I haven't seen FC 2, but I do know that the colors aren't completely fucked up because Friedkin had nothing to do with it.

Matt89
06-11-2009, 06:58 PM
Yeah, I'm definitely adding Vanishing Point to the order. I may consider French Connection II, but I'll have to think about it. And as for the color timing on the French Connection blu-ray...it really isn't that bad. It actually suits the film well. It's actually really worth the upgrade. The transfer's quite nice (although it'll never look amazing, was one of those soft-focus early '70s films) and the blu-ray has a RIDICULOUS amount of special features. 2 blu-ray discs. Fucking crazy. Hell, I can't complain.

I just wish The Omen was part of this offer. Been meaning to get that on blu for a WHILE now...

~Matt

spawningblue
06-11-2009, 07:05 PM

~Matt

Are you talking about the film itself, or the Blu Ray quality. I don't know about the Blu Ray quality but I enjoyed the film, although it doesn't compare to the first film. It is extremely slow, and I found it a little hard to understand what they were saying half the time due to their extremely thick French accents, but I guess that could be cleared up with a lossless audio track. I think the biggest problem, and the reason that it's so slow is they spend half the movie with Hackman drugged up, and then dealing with him going "cold turkey". It's done really well and realistic, but it doesn't mean it's fun to watch. I loved the stake out aspect of the first film and that is traded in for a drug rehabilitation documentary. And no, I am not giving away the plot as it is all over the back of the box.

Matt89
06-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Yeah I meant the film itself. Hmmm...if it's boring I might just wait then. I know Frankenheimer said they really had no story for this film, and there really was no intention of making a sequel (since well...the original's summed up pretty well in the end) and that making the sequel took "a lot of writing" lol.

It's tempting because Frankenheimer could be a pretty good director (Manchurian Candidate, Black Sunday, Birdman of Alcatraz, All Fall Down...) even if he did have some misfires (The Island of Dr. Moreau), but sounds like French Connection II might just be one of those "misfires". I'll wait it out, see if the blu gets any cheaper and then maybe..

~Matt

Mattapooh
06-11-2009, 09:25 PM
Matt, Vanishing Point is worthwhile, but moreso if you're into that late-60s/early-70s Easy Rider "we're-really-stoned-and-think-we-get it" stuff (which I'm not). The first half is all crazy chase stuff and the second gets more existential and thoughtful. For me, the first half is balls-out fucking awesome and the second is pretty dull.

But hey, any chance to see a 1970 Dodge Challenger kicking some ass is awesome.

Mitbox
06-12-2009, 02:04 AM
Off-topic: I love Vanishing Point (Dodge Challenger...*drools), and I love the remake too (with Viggo Mortensen and Jason Priestly-dude from 90120-). Check out "show me how to live" videoclip from Audioslave, it's based on the movie too.

Katatonia
06-12-2009, 02:26 AM
Unfortunately, they jack up the prices on these for such sales. There's only a couple on the list that I'd really want and the savings wouldn't be substantial.

Now, if The Omen and a few other Fox/MGM Blu-rays were on the list that I've been meaning to get...