PDA

View Full Version : Escape From L.A.

Egg_Shen
06-15-2009, 09:23 PM
It looks like Escape From L.A. will be coming to Blu-Ray in September. The old DVD is non anamorphic and looks terrible, so this should be quite a revelation. I don’t suppose we’ll be getting a Carpenter/Russell commentary, but a better looking movie is more than I ever really expected from Paramount.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.php?id=5945

grodd
06-15-2009, 09:39 PM
It looks like Escape From L.A. will be coming to Blu-Ray in September. The old DVD is non anamorphic and looks terrible, so this should be quite a revelation. I don’t suppose we’ll be getting a Carpenter/Russell commentary, but a better looking movie is more than I ever really expected from Paramount.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.php?id=5945

Good news. The current Blu ray is upconverted trash. Far worse than what was shown on HDnet.

fceurich39
06-15-2009, 11:06 PM
would be nice have some deleted scenes but i doubt it

captain_brandon
06-16-2009, 12:48 AM
would be nice have some deleted scenes but i doubt it

Yup. Carpenter mentioned in a back issue of Fango that I got that he litterally just had two days over a weekend to edit the thing (cause Cashamount wanted to get it out there for the summer of '96). who knows what all had to be left on the cutting room floor? I have the current DVD and yeah, it's a cheap-o in the $5 bin at Wal-Mart ofr a reason with it's quality.

Katatonia
06-16-2009, 01:53 AM
I'll definitely upgrade. I agree, the old DVD (non-anamorphic) looks friggin' terrible.

KillerCannabis
06-16-2009, 01:58 AM
Good news. The current Blu ray is upconverted trash. Far worse than what was shown on HDnet.

Current Blu-ray? Of Escape from LA? I didn't know one was out anywhere.

I'll be buying this one. I'm a Carpenter fanatic.

Katatonia
06-16-2009, 02:04 AM
Current Blu-ray? Of Escape from LA? I didn't know one was out anywhere.

They must have meant the UK Blu-ray of Escape from New York, which I've heard looks like an upconverted DVD transfer.

Grim
06-16-2009, 02:08 AM
I would've expected the original to be released before this, but neat news regardless.

grodd
06-16-2009, 03:19 AM
They must have meant the UK Blu-ray of Escape from New York, which I've heard looks like an upconverted DVD transfer.

Whoops yes, I was thinking Escape from NY was coming. I didn't think they would put out LA first.

Dave
06-16-2009, 03:28 AM
Whoops yes, I was thinking Escape from NY was coming. I didn't think they would put out LA first.

Two different studios. I believe NY is MGM/Sony.

rhett
06-16-2009, 04:56 AM
Awesome news. This one will definitely be worth the upgrade. The DVD transfer is 11 years old! I've always preferred this to New York, but I fear that the better quality will make all that bad CGI look even worse. Hopefully Paramount puts at least a little effort into the extras - this is the only theatrical film of Carpenter/Russell that doesn't yet have a commentary.

KillerCannabis
06-19-2009, 01:21 AM
^ Blasphemer! Prefer LA over NY? Outrageous...

Egg_Shen
06-19-2009, 01:41 AM

Carpenter prefers LA over NY himself. I’ve always been on the fence. They’re both great! NY’s darker look and tone is more fitting to it’s city while the wacky escapades of LA are perfectly at home there. Even the bad special effects seem appropriate for LA. Kind of a comment on Hollywood superficiality. At least that's what I always tell myself.

X-human
06-19-2009, 01:45 AM

Well... One has Bruce Campbell; the other doesn't. I could see the arguement. Reminds me of Bruce's first day on the set, and Kurt walks up to him and says, "Say 'Workshed.'" I bet they hired him just so Kurt could do that.

bigdaddyhorse
06-24-2009, 10:43 PM

I can't put LA over NY, but do love both.
I actually hated LA the first time I saw it. It felt like a silly rehash of NY. Year later I tried it again, and loved it for the parody it is.

Reverenddave
07-15-2009, 06:44 AM
Looks like this and a couple other titles have been taken off the schedule.

Paramount Delays Five Catalog Blu-rays
Tue Jul 14, 2009 at 05:30 PM ET

The studio has taken five catalog titles scheduled for release this fall off the slate.

'48 Hrs,' 'Escape from L.A.,' 'K-19: The Widowmaker,' 'The Firm,' and 'The Score' were originally scheduled for a Blu-ray release on September 15, but that isn't the case any longer.

Paramount has not provided any new dates or reasons for changing this catalog lineup.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Paramount/Disc_Announcements/Paramount_Delays_Five_Catalog_Blu-rays_/3055

Egg_Shen
07-15-2009, 07:16 AM
bummer

Erick H.
07-15-2009, 07:25 AM
Too bad,as with L.A. the old 48 HOURS DVD was non anamorphic.

Katatonia
07-15-2009, 08:21 AM
Damn that blows. This is one title that really could heavily benefit from a Blu-ray transfer.

Odin
07-15-2009, 05:09 PM
That sucks...was looking forward to Escape from LA.

Severn
07-15-2009, 06:07 PM

I'm in that camp as well. While it's essentially the same movie it's the same movie amped up with better pacing, action and quite funny.

evilbaby
08-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Well this is the first I've heard of the delay for the BD release BUT maybe it means paramount will be adding special features?

fceurich39
08-01-2009, 10:23 PM
Well this is the first I've heard of the delay for the BD release BUT maybe it means paramount will be adding special features?

i heard there is alot of deleted footage for this i hope that will be on the blu-ray that will be the main selling point for me to buy it

Erick H.
08-02-2009, 06:33 AM
Anybody ever see a film called NEW CRIME CITY ? It was a low budget knock off of ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK (shot in Peru I think) which actually predated ESCAPE FROM L.A. in some ways.The criminal hero is sent into future L.A. (now a giant prison) to recover a deadly virus from radical prisoners.Stacy Keach is even in it,playing a part very much like he did in L.A.It was made two years before ESCAPE,in 1994.