PDA

View Full Version : New Lower Priced Samsung LED TVs WOW!!

gunner
06-21-2009, 06:50 PM
I've been using my older tube hdtv for years now. I was happier with the picture quality on that than any of my friends were getting on their lcd or plasma sets. It was smaller, but produced a richer, more vibrant picture with fluid movements. Square screened though, so blu-rays & widescreen dvds always had the black bars. I was holding out for when LED televisions became popular (and cheaper) but really hadn't payed close attention to the market. The last one I read about was an 11" Sony LED for a whopping $4,000 which wasn't that long ago. So I figured my future in LED would be in the great distance.
Then my wife gave me this surprise for Father's Day, a 40" Samsung LED TV (the best gift ever!!). I figured she payed a fortune for it, but she said she picked it up at Best Buy for about $1,600...friggin unbelievable!!
I just hooked it up and gave AB's Dawn of the Dead blu-ray a spin. I was totally blown away!! I didn't think the true-to-life, crystal clear, 3 dimensional picture I was already seeing on blu-ray could be improved with a new tv. I was wrong!! LED is freaking magical!! Anyone else got one of these new LED sets, or seen these in action? I am without words on the image quality, it blows away my old tube hdtv. It must be the 3,000,000:1 contrast? I don't know...but I can't wait to see Friday 1,2 & 3 blus on it!!

http://estb.msn.com/i/DB/387DB657DDEA67F43EC8445543E8.jpg

Frankenstorm
06-21-2009, 07:04 PM
Anyone else got one of these new LED sets, or seen these in action?

No, and I just spent Father's Day fixing the ceiling on our front porch. Now I'm expected to go pick up lunch for everyone.

Enjoy your gift! :D

Grim
06-21-2009, 07:39 PM
We have these at work and boy they are beautiful. I have the 46" Samsung 650 series and it looks wonderful, but it doesn't even come close to the LED's.

Katatonia
06-22-2009, 12:23 AM
I'm also planning on buying one of these puppies very soon. I was impressed with the picture quality and the reviews I've seen thus far.

shape22
06-22-2009, 12:48 AM
I picked up a 52" 630 model in January. The picture is truly amazing. I previously had a well calibrated Mitsubishi rear projection set. The Samsung picture is so much brighter and sharper I couldn't believe it.

If you're planning to pick one of these up and you watch in a bright room, it's essential that you pick up a 630 and not a 650. The 630 has a matte screen that doesn't reflect glare nearly as much as the screens on the 650s. You lose some contrast (40,000 to 1 instead of 50,000 to 1). But I suspect it's not a very visible difference.

I can't recommend a Samsung LCD highly enough.

gunner
06-22-2009, 01:56 AM
Hey shape22, it's a model 6000 LED Samsung, not LCD. The contrast is 3,000,000:1 and very bright. I am just blown away by this tv!! I've since viewed bits and pieces of all my blu-rays and some of my favorite dvd transfers on this new set. It's adding "blu-ray-like" 3 dimensional "pop" to every animorphic dvd I own, more detail too. Even the rougher transfers have a 3rd dimension to them, giving my old dvd collection new appeal I never though possible. Very exciting!! And of course blu-rays look even better, both the dvd & blu of Friday 3 now work perfectly in 3-D with only one pair of glasses! And all menus now look like an illuminated magazine page. I've never seen such tv image perfection in my life. It's insane!!

Shlockjock81
06-22-2009, 05:00 AM
I have, what I believe to be, the PC Monitor version of this line of Samsung screens. The SynchMaster T200 20" Widescreen monitor.

Picture clarity and color vibrance are of the best I've seen. And with a 2ms response time, there's no ghosting/motion blur at all.

Makes Left 4 Dead and Unreal Tournament 3 look pretty damn amazing too lol

Shlockjock81
06-22-2009, 05:03 AM
Wait nevermind, I see that you got an LED screen..... still on LCD here lol. The screen frames look so similar I assumed it was the same hehe.

Mitbox
06-22-2009, 05:16 AM
These LED TVs are getting a lot of promotion here, specially from Samsung and LG. Plasma is almost dead but I don't know how much better is the image quality of LED against LCD, I'll go investigate that online. All I know is that led uses less power, and that is always something good.

gunner
06-22-2009, 11:24 PM
Hey Schlockjock, It actually "is" an lcd tv with the motion refresh doubled to 120 Hz and led backlighting. I think it's the natural-like white led backlighting that makes the huge difference...though I'm sure the improved motion processing helps a bit too. There is no motion blur or smearing, vibrant colors and more image depth than I've ever experienced at home...as mentioned above, dvds now have a 3 dimensional feel that previously I'd only seen blu-rays provide. I've read some comments that animation looks blurred on these tvs...nonsense. Go to Best Buy, Sears, etc and ask for a dvd & blu-ray demo on one. It is quite amazing! And I've only got the entry level model!! I could just imagine what the 8000 line looks like, which is boosted to 240hz and 5,000,000:1 contrast!!
Seeing what I have, I think it's safe to say all tv manufacturers will be going this route in the future.

2D4EVER
06-23-2009, 05:57 AM
Looks real nice. Unfortunately it's about double my budget. I think I'm going to get this one also from Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9239228&type=product&id=1218065493446

Seems like the best bang for the buck in my price range. Also I have a 10% off coupon.