PDA

View Full Version : How The West Was Won (Blu-Ray)

MidnightRambler
06-26-2009, 01:32 PM
I don't a have Blu-Ray player but after stumbling upon this review on DVDBeaver I think I'll be getting one as soon as possible. Haven't seen this movie yet (though I'm a western fan), I heard it's not really regarded as a classic but it has a great cast and directors and it's shot wonderfully in 70mm almost 50 years ago, the colors and the details are amazing. Here are the screencaps, I especially like the one in the desert (be sure to click-to-enlarge them):

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews40/how_the_west_was_won_blu-ray.htm

Odin
07-01-2009, 03:49 PM
yeah i agree...the picture quality of this movie is amazing

dave13
07-02-2009, 03:28 AM
haven't seen it yet, but i picked it up a few months ago. the amazing tech specs and supplements were a big draw, but the chance to watch the movie in the "smilevision" format was too much to pass up!

Shock Waves
07-02-2009, 03:41 AM
Wowsa! And Karl Malden has a bit in this too!

Matt89
07-02-2009, 05:24 AM
Yeah I have this blu-ray (I'm a big western fan as well) and yeah, the image quality is amazing (check out The Searchers, IMO one of the best blu-rays out there, image quality-wise). It wasn't shot on 70mm though, it was actually shot on three strips of 35mm film that were fused together (through the projectors) to create an extremely wide frame. It was called 'Cinerama'. This I believe was the first 'narrative' film made in the format (it was introduced in 1952 but it was like a long ad called "This is Cinerama"). I think it was later blown up for 70mm so it could go on one strip of film, but the film had to have been cropped to like 2.35:1 (from its 2.89:1 native ratio).

Anyway, this looks great on blu. But be forewarned...it isn't THAT great a movie and it's loooong. Over 3 hours I think.

*EDIT: I just saw that Karl Malden passed away. Wow, today me and my friend were talking about him and I said "yo man he's like...crazy old. He's 97. Bet you anything he'll be the next to go."

....I now feel really bad about saying that.

~Matt