PDA

View Full Version : How is Friday the 13th - the HK VCD?

Joel Groce
12-05-2001, 12:45 AM
Just wondering if anyone has the F13th VCD from Hong Kong and what they thought of it - it's supposed to be uncut - I'm guessing a copy of the Japanese LD. I really didn't want to spend money on the edited DVD even though the picture is great so I've ordered this one. I remember seeing the laserdisc (US release) back in 82-83 and recall the first kill where the guy has a stream of blood spurt out of his stomach and don't remember this being on the DVD. (at least I don't think I'm hallucinating!)

killit
12-14-2001, 09:59 PM
I had the vcd, it's too dark. You'll see more gore in the dvd, simply because you can actually see it.

Joel Groce
12-15-2001, 03:52 AM
That's a real bummer, man! So it really looks like some washed out VHS? I should get it in the mail next week. Well , I guess Paramount IS going to revisit the series after releasing all the sequels. Thanks for the info, though.

killit
12-15-2001, 04:23 AM
I would'nt say washed out, just really dark and poor compression, the cover art on the vcd is interesting though. Please tell me you did'nt pay over 25 dollars. If you did, you'll be disapointed, but if you have a 32" wega or nice tv and a player that does a good job on reg vcd and paid under twelve dollars. You should be pleased. :cool:

evileye
12-19-2001, 05:39 AM
Now here's the real rub about rereleasing this series.
I happened to shell out 99.00 for the IMAX 3-D triple feature dvds. It comes in a box set with a small converter box and two glasses which plug into it. These shutter glasses produce jaw-dropping, theater-quailty 3-D.

SInce the 3 DVDs in the set are pretty much non-narrative show things, I coughed up the cash and got a bootleg VHS of FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 3 in 3-D (it apparently was pressed on a limited edition laserdisc for the format years ago).

Despite the copy being washed out (but widescreen I add), the 3-D was AWESOME!!!!!

Now if Paramount draggs out a special edition box of these films, I would say this would be a mandatory "2nd layer" feature. :cool:

BlazingMagnum
12-19-2001, 11:02 AM
I picked up a Friday 13th in Holland for about 5 - which I think works out at about $8.00
It's not so bad - not exactly DVD quality, but i'd rather watch a shady uncut version, than a pristine chopped up print. The cover is nicely lurid, and for that money - it would have been rude not to.

Falchi
12-20-2001, 12:36 PM
The dutch version of part 1 is CUT!! it's actually the same as the
US R-rated version, Danish,Swedish, UKx,Japanese,HK are all uncut

BlazingMagnum
12-20-2001, 01:43 PM
Appologies for not making myself clear! - I should have said I picked up the HK VCD in a little shop in Rotterdam . . . etc.

2 discs, nice sleeve - but the biggest problem with it is - no chapters. I had the same thing with the From Beyond 'DVD' - Okay print - fully uncut, but no chapters!

Joel Groce
12-27-2001, 11:53 AM
Yes, this was definitely worth the $12 or so that I paid. I found all gore scenes very watchable save for the beheading at the end - still watchable - just very dark - I love it when it just shows her grasping for her head only to find a spurting stump. Bless Savini! Now if I could just get the Prowler on DVD!!!

BlazingMagnum
12-28-2001, 07:09 PM
Agreed - The Prowler would be a worthy addition to anyone's collection. I'm surprised that nobody's put it out yet - especially considering the popularity that Maniac has with gorehounds everywhere.