PDA

View Full Version : From Dusk Till Dawn - Blu Ray?

chrismac87
07-21-2009, 11:32 AM
Hey guys, I know this has a Blu Ray release in Canada - which believe me I've been tempted to purchase again and again but haven't - and I was wondering if anyone knew of any plans, if there are any, to release this bad boy stateside?

The US DVD is loaded with special features, as we all know, but the non-anamorphic transfer leaves a lot to be desired and the DVD itself even though packed to the brim leaves a lot to be desired in terms of menu design, layout, etc.

I watched this myself the other day and all I could think the entire time was, "Why is this not out on Blu Ray?"

So anyone have any info? Or do I have to settle for the bi-lingual, no frills Canadian edition?

Grim
07-22-2009, 04:56 AM
It was announced way back with Sin City, but then they ended up canceling FDTD and pushing back Sin City.

Jeremy
07-22-2009, 06:21 AM
They probably had planned to release the Blu-Ray using an existing HD master, and then scrapped it when someone realized it there were QC problems. That seems to be happening with a lot of titles as studios realize they need to go back and create new transfers of their slightly older films for the Blus, even if they already have an HD one.

chrismac87
07-22-2009, 06:42 AM
I hope it does eventually come out.

I can't stand watching non-anamorphic DVDs anymore and to me this one just screams Blu Ray!

Reverenddave
07-22-2009, 07:12 AM
Despite the lack of extras, the Canadian blu-ray gets good reviews for video and audio.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews43/from_dusk_till_dawn_blu-ray.htm

blu
07-22-2009, 06:59 PM
I've got the Canadian BD and I was very pleased with the PQ and AQ. If you can do without the extras, I say why wait? Import this bad boy now!

Hellbilly
10-04-2009, 11:10 PM
I just tested and chapter-skipped through the Canadian release and it looks and sounds indeed very very good. It sucks about the extras but I'm glad to finally own this baby on blu.

And if they ever announce a special edition blu-ray I can still sell this one at ebay.

dave13
11-12-2011, 01:20 AM
people may know of this already, but i just noticed that there's a new steelbook version of this blu ray out here in canada from aliance. this time it's got all the features of the SE (minus full tilt boogie), and a brief search online indicates the transfer may be a new one. anybody know about this? wasn't there some audio issue with the initial canadian blu ray? if its a new transfer, i might like to replace my disc 1 from the SE, while holding on to full tilt boogie. but im not going to pay $25 dollars for it just because it comes in a metal package. hopefully they eventually release it in a standard case. i'd definitely pick it up for $10.

Matt89
11-12-2011, 04:16 AM
There's a nice edition of American History X that just got released in a Steelbook.

~Matt

Mikey Horror
11-12-2011, 06:12 AM
Why the hell does the US hardly ever get steelbooks anymore when every other release in Canada and Germany is a steelbook? I know it's ridiculous bitching on my part, but I love steelbook packaging and you just hardly ever see it here anymore.

dave13
11-12-2011, 08:24 AM
you're not missing much. the canada steelbooks are all bilingually labelled. somehow it makes it even worse, when that shit is burned onto a metal case. so ugly.

Matt89
11-12-2011, 08:55 AM
you're not missing much. the canada steelbooks are all bilingually labelled. somehow it makes it even worse, when that shit is burned onto a metal case. so ugly.

Yeah I haven't bought any of the steelbooks from alliance because of this (but I might have to grab From Dusk Till Dawn since it's pretty obvious the US won't be getting a decent release anytime soon).

~Matt

Christ75
11-12-2011, 02:35 PM
people may know of this already, but i just noticed that there's a new steelbook version of this blu ray out here in canada from aliance. this time it's got all the features of the SE (minus full tilt boogie), and a brief search online indicates the transfer may be a new one. anybody know about this? wasn't there some audio issue with the initial canadian blu ray? if its a new transfer, i might like to replace my disc 1 from the SE, while holding on to full tilt boogie. but im not going to pay $25 dollars for it just because it comes in a metal package. hopefully they eventually release it in a standard case. i'd definitely pick it up for $10.

I don't think its a new transfert. And the special features are probably only on the dvd.
Like the other Alliance steelbook, they just repack the blu-ray disc with the dvd (Blu-ray/DVD combo).
If you look the steelbook of Blade, the blu have the ratio of 1.78:1
:mad: while the dvd is 2.35:1.

bigdaddyhorse
11-12-2011, 04:06 PM
this time it's got all the features of the SE (minus full tilt boogie), and a brief search online indicates the transfer may be a new one. anybody know about this? wasn't there some audio issue with the initial canadian blu ray? if its a new transfer, i might like to replace my disc 1 from the SE, while holding on to full tilt boogie.

Does it have the commentary also? If so, it would at least have to be a newly mastered BD as the old one has nothing.

I noticed some audio is hard to hear on the Canadian BD. Some shit way too loud, some way too low, so it's either blow your ears out or miss a line here and there. Not a deal breaker as the picture is so much better than the US BD, but still an annoyance. Would love a souped up SE with all the dvd stuff, too bad this didn't go to Lions Gate in the US, they would've done it right like all the other Miramax stuff they do have. Fuck Echo Bridge!

Review I found on amazon.ca says yes to commentary and new transfer, but it's only one review for the new version with all kinds of old reviews. Still, why lie about something everyone will instantly know is a lie? Sounds like I need to trade in my old Canadian BD and US dvd. I won't hold my breathe for Echo Bridge to do the same, but if Miramax says "fuck EB" and sends this to Lions Gate it could get good US treatment. I'll wait for some better reviews before deciding if it's worth going after, but it sure sounds like it is.

Matt89
11-12-2011, 08:24 PM
According to the back of the case, all special features are on the blu ray disc. The back states the commentary is included as well.

~Matt

dave13
11-12-2011, 11:36 PM
somebody needs to bite the bullet and pick this up, so they can report back here. anybody? anybody...?

Zillamon51
11-13-2011, 12:16 AM
I was at Wal-mart the other day and they have the Echo Bridge BD of From Dusk 'Till Dawn / FDTD 2 / FDTD 3 / Full-Tilt Boogie for $10. Since I already have the FDTD DVD w/ all the special features (signed by Savini to boot), and don't have 2 or 3 in any form, I'm going to pick it up.

Any word yet on the quality of any of these 4-movie BDs?

Kolpitz
11-13-2011, 05:56 AM
I know I'm in the minority here but I actually prefer the look of the Echo Bridge disc over the Alliance disc. I purchased the alliance disc about six months ago because everyone seemed to think it was gold, as they shit all over Echo Bridge's release. While EB's release is FAR from perfect, I found Alliance's release too washed out and faded looking. I've seen this film more times than I can count and that disc just doesn't look right to me. The oversaturation and orange tinted skin of the EB disc looks more like the film I remember. The EB release is more frustrating than anything else because the transfer borders on brilliant at times. Shots go from gorgeous and highly detailed to fuzzy and soft, within the same scene. It's odd. Also, despite every review stating that the EB disc is 1.78:1, it's definitely 1.85:1 on my TV (you can still see slight bars on the top and bottom, as opposed to the picture filling every inch of the screen). I can certainly understand why people would prefer the Alliance transfer but it just doesn't work for me. Maybe if this new disc really is a new transfer, it will be better. Either way, I'm done with purchasing this movie until a proper remastered special edition hits Blu-ray. Until then, I'll stick with my Echo Bridge copy.

JGrendel
11-13-2011, 07:25 AM
Picked this up today & yes the blu has all the extras on it including the comentary (but no full tilt boogie) only watched a few minutes of it so i can't really comment on the transfer.

bigdaddyhorse
11-13-2011, 04:07 PM
Picked this up today & yes the blu has all the extras on it including the comentary (but no full tilt boogie) only watched a few minutes of it so i can't really comment on the transfer.

Sweet, thanks for the confirmation.

Now I'm hoping one might show up at Meijer's down the street. Lots of Alliance titles have been lately, and not limited to stuff that doesn't have a US release. I've seen everything from Blade to Piranha, all a nice cheap $10. You get the choice on things like Final Destination or Piranha, US or Canada discs on the same rack. This steelbook probably has a higher SRP and won't be in any of those Meijer's budget batches, but I can still hope it is somehow.

JGrendel
11-14-2011, 02:05 AM
Yeah I replaced the extra dvd you get with the full tilt boogie disc & it makes for a nice package

Kolpitz
11-24-2011, 07:29 PM
Someone over on the Blu-ray.Com (http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-movies-north-america/181998-4-film-bd-sets-11-29-11-a-new-post.html) forums posted that the new Alliance steelbook now uses the same transfer as the Echo Bridge Blu-ray.

rxfiend
11-25-2011, 12:30 AM
I picked up the four pack today. I've only see the first film on TV a few times (never have watched it all at one time, just pieces here and there) and never have seen any of the sequels. So for $10, I figured it'd be a worth a blind buy. Just jumping around on each movie, the quality doesn't appear to be that great. Part 2 looks like an upscaled DVD. 1 & 3 isn't that bad I suppose. For the price, I can deal with it.

JGrendel
11-25-2011, 12:43 AM
Is Full tilt Boogie a blu-ray or just a dvd in that package?

rxfiend
11-25-2011, 12:46 AM
All four are on a single blu-ray.

JGrendel
11-25-2011, 12:52 AM
All four are on a single blu-ray.

Damn it, I hate when they do that...

bigdaddyhorse
11-25-2011, 05:03 PM
Was Full Tilt Boogie shot on 35mm or video? If video there is no point whatsoever to have it on blu-ray.

Kolpitz
11-25-2011, 05:36 PM
Was Full Tilt Boogie shot on 35mm or video? If video there is no point whatsoever to have it on blu-ray.

If I recall correctly, it was a combination of video and 16mm.

rxfiend
11-26-2011, 02:15 AM
The blu-ray version of Full Tilt looks like SD despite having an encode an HD encode.

JGrendel
11-26-2011, 06:05 AM
Full Tilt is the only thing I don't have on blu from that set, like I posted before I put the dvd in with the new steel book. makes a new package.