PDA

View Full Version : Are you still watching in 1.33:1?

rhett
07-26-2009, 12:51 AM
It's been hard to buy standard definition televisions for the last few years now, as widescreen and the HDTV spec finally seem to have overturned the home media market. That said, how many of you haven't made the jump yet and are still watching movies on your old full screen (1.33:1) televisions as a primary means of exhibition?

vampyr789
07-26-2009, 01:01 AM
i really need to get one soon

Katatonia
07-26-2009, 01:22 AM
I have two HD TVs, but I still watch some 1.33 films and TV shows on my good old Sony Wega Trinitron.

CrazyFatEthel
07-26-2009, 01:32 AM
i really need to get one soon

Make that 2 of us. :(

msw7
07-26-2009, 01:54 AM
I'll upgrade at some point, but likely not soon. I would love to have a flat screen, widescreen format TV, but right now don't have the space or money. So unless my TV dies, that's what I'm stuck with. It's not so bad though.

CrazyFatEthel
07-26-2009, 01:57 AM
I'll upgrade at some point, but likely not soon. I would love to have a flat screen, widescreen format TV, but right now don't have the space or money. So unless my TV dies, that's what I'm stuck with. It's not so bad though.

Same here, I know its worth it when you get it, but my god they're so expensive!!!:eek1:

SaviniFan
07-26-2009, 03:52 AM
I've got a 32" LCD in my bedroom which doubles as my PC monitor. A 42" in the living room for my blu-rays.

The Chaostar
07-26-2009, 04:31 AM
I don't own a TV for 6 years and haven't seen any television shows since. I only watch films or favorite series on my projector screen. So...

Mitbox
07-26-2009, 05:11 AM
I have a 14" CRT TV...:(, still works fine, but I'd love to have a flat screen TV. That's what you get when you are still looking for your first job. Besides my country still doesn't define the air HDTV norm so we have a long time to wait until analog blackout. Don't get me started about Blu-ray, I guess when it becomes obsolete, I'll be able to use it.

P.S: I have not traveled back into future, I actually have a 14'' tv.

Matt89
07-26-2009, 08:18 AM
I'm 16x9 (never going back to 4x3 although a LOT of movies I own were composed for fullscreen) but when I move out and get my own place in Oct, I'm getting a bigger HDTV. Might go for 42 or 46", not sure which.

~Matt

MorallySound
07-26-2009, 10:43 AM
16x9 and lovin' it. But of course, any film that's 1:33.1 aspect ratio gets played pillar boxed. And I still watch VHS.

hellraiser40
07-26-2009, 11:18 AM
i have a 16x9 TV, which i uses for DVD, Xbox 360 and Wii, but in a back room i still have a 4x3 TV, where my Dreamcast is connected to

Drama Queen Die
07-26-2009, 09:01 PM
I'll buy a new TV when this one stops working. I just like watching the movies.

horrorlover
07-26-2009, 09:52 PM
I have a 16X9 Sanyo 32" and it's great, but I kind of miss my old RCA 4X3 set.

bigdaddyhorse
07-26-2009, 10:09 PM
I still have my 32" Trinitron but it's the bedroom TV now. I had my backup dvd player hooked up to it, but the primary player died so the back-up is in action on the 67" HD-set.

I still watch some TV shows and old DTV movies in 4X3, but it's pillarboxed now. Original aspect no matter what I'm watching!

Mutilated Prey
07-26-2009, 10:49 PM
I have 2 HD's (basement and living room) and 2 27" TV's (bedroom and NH camp). Some DVD's that are 1:33:1 I prefer to watch on my 27" just avoid the stretched look or black bars on the side because all that does is remind me it ain't HD. I'm pretty close to getting HD in the bedroom though.

Franco
07-27-2009, 12:34 AM
Still have a 29" 1:33 TV for watching DVD movies but might buy a huge widescreen LCD TV near new year's eve. Also I'd have to buy a blu-ray player to take full advantage of it.

Do you guys think Sony is the best for LCDs?

Copyboy
07-27-2009, 12:49 AM
I have a 42" in the living room and an old school 19" in my bedroom. Funny thing is I don't really watch a lot and when I do, it tends to be after I've snuggled into bed so I watch a LOT more of the 19" than the 42".

horrorlover
07-27-2009, 12:55 AM
Still have a 29" 1:33 TV for watching DVD movies but might buy a huge widescreen LCD TV near new year's eve. Also I'd have to buy a blu-ray player to take full advantage of it.

Do you guys think Sony is the best for LCDs?

Hey Franco, I have only had one Sony TV, and it was an excellent one, it was a CRT though, but I have read good things about their LCD's as well.

Franco
07-27-2009, 01:27 AM
Hey Franco, I have only had one Sony TV, and it was an excellent one, it was a CRT though, but I have read good things about their LCD's as well.

Yeah, I've read good comments about Sony's LCDs as well. They're more expensive than other brands but image's I've seen in malls when they play DVDs or Blu-Ray are excellent, worth the bucks.

Thanks for your input about this.

BrokeNads
07-27-2009, 01:34 AM
Is not important so much the tv because you settings to make the dvd look normally play.
I have flat 4x3 but is option to play widescreen mode so is play anamorphics movies and make high resolution better. Is still black bars in the tops and bottom but is very nice picture. When is full screen play in a widescreen tv is still black bars in the sides so is the same. Is important not the tv but the dvd. If is to chose widescreen or full screen is the choice to be widescreen natural. When I see a dvd and is widescreen I shut up the lights and when is dark in not see the black bars is only the widescreen pictures to see and all around is the dark night for make the movie spooky for my girlfriend.

Fistfuck
07-27-2009, 01:42 AM
Just bought a 32" LG. Kind of regretting not paying an additional $200 for the 37" but I think I'll live.

DVD player upconverts and looks great, especially newer movies like Black Hawk Down. Xbox 360 is connected via component cables. Can anyone attest to a huge leap in quality if the 360 was connected via HDMI?

rhett
07-27-2009, 06:09 AM
Can anyone attest to a huge leap in quality if the 360 was connected via HDMI?

Not on a 32". The leap in color saturation from composite to component is a bigger jump overall, in my experience.

Paff
07-27-2009, 09:11 AM
I gave my Panasonic Superflat (4x3) to the guy who helped me install my 42" plasma. Obviously, I love my plasma. But I do miss the 4x3 for older 1:33:1 movies (as others have mentioned), and my laserdiscs looked way better on the Superflat. Hate the idea of re-buying movies.

But c'mon...it was time to move forward. I was way overdue.

Grim
07-27-2009, 05:19 PM
I've got a 46" Samsung A650 LCD and haven't looked back since. I see the difference all the time now when I go over to a friend's house and they have an old tube set.

gunner
07-27-2009, 06:06 PM
I had issues on this poll, there should have been a 50/50 selection. You can't knock a good tube tv, especially the high def ones that allow 16x9 mode and have hdmi inputs. There are just too many fullscreen and non-animorphic releases out there to dispose of them. My bedroom is actually two rooms, movie room/memorabilia section and bedroom section. I've got a 40" LED 6000 Samsung flat panel in the movie room and a 32" Samsung hdtv tube set in the bedroom. The 40" LED flat panel is tops in quality for sure, but watching a non-animorphic widescreen disc, like Madman, is ridiculous on the set...this tiny rectangle in the screen's center. Unless I want to stretch it out, which looks even worse. Stuff like that, as well as fullscreen stuff always goes onto the HDTV tube set. Also, the added resolution of the LED set has taught me that some "good" animorphic dvd transfers weren't all that great after all. The tube set hides the flaws better so I still use the tube for some 16x9 discs as well.

Matt89
07-27-2009, 06:24 PM
I see the difference all the time now when I go over to a friend's house and they have an old tube set.

Yeah same. It just looks....flat.

~Matt

Fistfuck
07-27-2009, 06:29 PM
Not on a 32". The leap in color saturation from composite to component is a bigger jump overall, in my experience.

You always told me I was big enough for you...

maybrick
07-27-2009, 06:57 PM
The 40" LED flat panel is tops in quality for sure, but watching a non-animorphic widescreen disc, like Madman, is ridiculous on the set...this tiny rectangle in the screen's center. Unless I want to stretch it out, which looks even worse.

You don't have a "zoom" function? That sucks. In my experience, some non-anamorphic discs look just as good as their anamorphic counterparts when zoomed in (and sometimes even better!). Anamorphic is certainly the most preferred option, but there are definitely exceptions to the rule.

Grim
07-27-2009, 07:20 PM
I had issues on this poll, there should have been a 50/50 selection. You can't knock a good tube tv, especially the high def ones that allow 16x9 mode and have hdmi inputs. There are just too many fullscreen and non-animorphic releases out there to dispose of them. My bedroom is actually two rooms, movie room/memorabilia section and bedroom section. I've got a 40" LED 6000 Samsung flat panel in the movie room and a 32" Samsung hdtv tube set in the bedroom. The 40" LED flat panel is tops in quality for sure, but watching a non-animorphic widescreen disc, like Madman, is ridiculous on the set...this tiny rectangle in the screen's center. Unless I want to stretch it out, which looks even worse. Stuff like that, as well as fullscreen stuff always goes onto the HDTV tube set. Also, the added resolution of the LED set has taught me that some "good" animorphic dvd transfers weren't all that great after all. The tube set hides the flaws better so I still use the tube for some 16x9 discs as well.

I get what you're saying about non-anamorphic releases, but even full screen stuff like Night of the Living Dead looks fine on a 16x9 set, you just have the bars on the side instead.

gunner
07-27-2009, 09:33 PM
Yeah, it does have zoom, but the image looks off to me (could be just me). The only way I like how non-anamorphic discs look is setting the tv to 4x3 mode, which gives me two different shades of black bars horizontal and vertical. But I am new to having a flat panel 16x9 tv. I'll tinker with the settings some more soon.
I have occasionally watched full frame dvds on the set in 4x3 mode, they looked good but I prefer watching those on the old tube. The whole vertical black bar thing, too much for me, lol.
I also prefer how CED, VHS & Laserdisc looks on the tube set. But in time I might change.

gunner
07-27-2009, 10:15 PM
Ok, I discovered my issue by checking out the manual. What I said was "zoom" was actually "fit to screen" which is the only similar option for a 1080p source connected via hdmi. The true zoom feature is only available if I hook-up my old dvd player via component, which doesn't up-convert to 1080p. I'll do this as soon as I purchase another blu-ray player for the tube set. Maybe I'll get one of those new version 1.1 cheapos and do just that. I'd love to see my non-animorphic transfers (both US and import) fill the 16x9 screen!!

maybrick
07-27-2009, 10:35 PM
Ok, I discovered my issue by checking out the manual. What I said was "zoom" was actually "fit to screen" which is the only similar option for a 1080p source connected via hdmi. The true zoom feature is only available if I hook-up my old dvd player via component, which doesn't up-convert to 1080p. I'll do this as soon as I purchase another blu-ray player for the tube set. Maybe I'll get one of those new version 1.1 cheapos and do just that. I'd love to see my non-animorphic transfers (both US and import) fill the 16x9 screen!!

Most TV sets are this way it seems. I know mine is, at least. It's a bit of a pain, but you can still use the zoom feature if you're connected via HDMI by accessing your DVD player setup menu and switching the HDMI setup from "automatic" or "1080p" to "480p". Just remember to switch it back when you're finished watching.

I should also say that it doesn't really matter to me how I set the HDMI setup on my player because my TV apparently upconverts the image automatically all by itself. I just like having the player set at automatic because then the menu screens will already be set at the proper ratio when I drop the disc in.

gunner
07-28-2009, 12:46 AM
Ok, I tried it and ...it worked, it worked woohoo!! Thanks a lot for the info!! I just checked out my old copies of Slumber Party Massacre, Madman & The Boogeyman, it's as though their anamorphic!! Totally blown away. Now I'll be hooking up my Laserdisc player to the LED tv soon too!

Myron Breck
07-28-2009, 02:15 AM
I have been avoiding HD for so long now, but I saw some movies at a hotel last night and was kinda blown away. NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! I have over 2,000 DVDs at this point!!!!! How could I possibly replace them??? I haven't the money!!! :mad:

horrorlover
07-28-2009, 04:16 AM
I have been avoiding HD for so long now, but I saw some movies at a hotel last night and was kinda blown away. NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! I have over 2,000 DVDs at this point!!!!! How could I possibly replace them??? I haven't the money!!! :mad:

No need to replace them, blu ray players also play DVD's :) :banana:

Grim
07-28-2009, 07:04 AM
No need to replace them, blu ray players also play DVD's :) :banana:

Yeah. I only replace my favorites, unless there is some awesome sale going on.

Matt89
07-28-2009, 07:06 AM
I've started to replace everything. Got rid of a bunch of DVDs intent on eventually getting the blu-ray. Got quite a bit of cash for 'em too. At first I only planned to replace my fav titles, but yeah I've started buying everything blu so...yeah LOL.

~Matt

Grim
07-28-2009, 07:11 AM
I've started to replace everything. Got rid of a bunch of DVDs intent on eventually getting the blu-ray. Got quite a bit of cash for 'em too. At first I only planned to replace my fav titles, but yeah I've started buying everything blu so...yeah LOL.

~Matt

Well, I've kind of done that. I've found movies that I haven't really watched in forever that are on blu and sold them. The way I see it, I'll eventually buy the blu if I really do like the movie a lot.

Paff
07-28-2009, 07:13 AM
Ok, I tried it and ...it worked, it worked woohoo!! Thanks a lot for the info!! I just checked out my old copies of Slumber Party Massacre, Madman & The Boogeyman, it's as though their anamorphic!! Totally blown away. Now I'll be hooking up my Laserdisc player to the LED tv soon too!

Yeah, expect to be disappointed with the Lasers. What you might find is that the full screen stuff (even with the bars on the side of the picture), and the 1.85:1 (which you can zoom to fit the screen) is pretty watchable. But when you try a scope movie, even zoomed, you'll be pretty dismayed. The other odd part is that discs that were mediocre to begin with, will still look the same on the HDTV. But LDs that you thought "Damn, this is just as good as the DVD" will suddenly show the limits of the format.

And I don't anticipate re-buying all my movies. No way. Hell, even when I made the jump from LD to DVD way back when, only a handful of movies got re-bought. I don't even have a Blu-Ray player. Yet........

Hellbilly
07-28-2009, 08:14 AM
I've had a Pioneer 16x9 rear projector with a 50 inch screen since 1998. Lots of great memories, but it's time to retire the "monster on wheels" as everyone used to call my TV.
My new super-slim Toshiba LCD Full-HD arrives tomorrow and I'm jumping with joy. Haven't been that excited in the longest! Of course I'm switching to blu as well, which will happen in September. Can't hardly wait to explore blu-ray greatness :)

maybrick
07-28-2009, 03:05 PM

Hey, I'm glad I could help! :)

DVD-fanatic-9
07-28-2009, 03:46 PM
Yes, my TV is a square.

And it doesn't bother me a bit. I like the bars. :evil:

thrashard76
08-25-2009, 04:33 AM
I just switch the "wide fit" option on when I'm watching a full screen DVD.

maybrick
08-25-2009, 01:43 PM

My father in law does that and I got reamed out by him two days ago for changing the format to 4:3 when my kids watched their new Teen Titans DVD. He's a racist asshole anyways so I'm kind of glad it him pissed off. I'll probably do it again out of spite!

Matt89
08-25-2009, 04:19 PM
I hate it when people stretch full-screen films. I mean, how can someone watch a movie that way? Everything's distorted. Everyone looks short and fat, and short and fat people look shorter and fatter.

~Matt

maybrick
08-25-2009, 04:43 PM
I hate it when people stretch full-screen films. I mean, how can someone watch a movie that way? Everything's distorted. Everyone looks short and fat, and short and fat people look shorter and fatter.

~Matt

It's ignorance pure and simple. My in-laws think that just because they have a HD widescreen television that everything that appears on the screen is HD and meant to be widescreen. It's ridiculous. I'm usually polite to them, but when they started treating me like an idiot, it's the first time I've ever been truly snarky to them. When they asked me if I "fixed" it I responded "Well, it isn't 'fixed', but it's set up the way you want it to be." They continued to act like I didn't know what I was doing and I said, "Dave, I went to film school for 4 years and have my own show on public access. You know about guns and I know television." (My father-in-law is a gun nut with over 100 firearms in his possession.)

But really, the fix was merely clicking a few buttons. If you're going to spend several hundred dollars on a TV, learn how to work the friggin' thing!

x666x
08-25-2009, 05:52 PM
You know about guns and I know television."

I love this line!

Paff
08-25-2009, 07:27 PM

Wow. Really?

Improper aspect ratio (and by that I mean something stretched to fit a screen, not pan and scan) is quite literally impossible for me to watch. At least with the advent of HD, it's becoming less common. I used to go into sports bars that had 16x9 TVs before 16x9 broadcasting became commonplace, and they all did that "wide fit" option so that it looked like shit.

Still, it's amazing how many people don't even notice the difference. Even filmmakers! One of my side jobs is projection at film festivals, and a good amount of these movies are on DigiBeta tape. I have the director hand me a copy and tell me "It's 16x9, make sure you show it that way". I preview the tape and tell them, "It's not 16x9, it's 4x3 letterboxed". Only after I show them the preview monitor and the difference between 16x9 and 4x3LB do they actually see the difference.

thrashard76
08-26-2009, 03:34 AM
I'd just rather see full screen movies using more of the screen than just a squarish rectangle. To me, it looks like it zooms in on the picture rather than squashing anything. The top and bottom of the picture go to the top and bottom of the screen and the left and right sides zoom out too but they don't go all the way to the screen edges in those directions. So again, to me it just looks better when watching full screen movies. The "wide fit" option isn't DVD related as it's an option in side my Samsung tv in the Picture menu.