PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Polanski?

rhett
08-04-2009, 04:24 AM
While today he's probably most known as being the USA's most famous exile for the statutory rape charges he fled from in the mid-seventies, Roman Polanski has certainly left an equally compelling and perverse mark on cinema. In black and white or color, insular character studies or grandiose epics, Poland's provocateur has proven he can handle many different genres, styles and eras of film work. He's been going nearly 50 years now...which of his impressive canon is your favorite?

msw7
08-04-2009, 04:35 AM
The Ninth Gate for me so far - I love Fearless Vampire Killers, though it is a bit slow, and Rosemary's Baby was good.

I have yet to see The Tenant and Repulsion.

vampyr789
08-04-2009, 04:48 AM
Rosemary's Baby will always be one of my favorite films of all time

X-human
08-04-2009, 05:28 AM
Went with Macbeth. I always think of what he said on the set, "I know violence. You should've seen my house last summer."

CrazyFatEthel
08-04-2009, 05:51 AM
Rosemary's Baby will always be one of my favorite films of all time

I second that. :D

Matt89
08-04-2009, 06:14 AM
I dunno, this is too hard. Polanski's made too many phenomenal films. Rosemary's Baby, Chinatown, The Pianist, Macbeth, Repulsion and Knife in the Water are all masterpieces for what they are. Rosemary's Baby is a brilliant horror film about the occult and a woman's waning trust with her husband. Repulsion is a fantastic psychological examination of a woman's descent into insanity. The Pianist is an amazing character study of an exceptionally talented man degraded by the depravity of the Holocaust and Chinatown is an excellent neo-noir, etc etc.

I'm undecided.

However, I re-watched The Tenant the other night and I must say...it's definitely one of his weaker efforts. I don't know, the film just couldn't keep me interested. It's way too long and runs way too slowly. I just remember it being a lot better than what I saw the other night. I also just found out that the Paramount DVD is completely OOP. Had no idea...

~Matt

Novosibirsk
08-04-2009, 06:28 AM
The Tenant is my favourite, by far. For some reason, while creepy, it maintains comedic elements that keep bringing me back. There is one scene at the flat where a little dog keeps on trying to bite Polanski's hand, and for some reason it always has me in stitches. I guess the movie can be really creepy or funny depending on my mood.

The Tenant was also the beginning of a time when I began pursue the horror genre further. It is also gets points for being featured in Skinny Puppy tracks. ;]

satans-sadists
08-04-2009, 06:40 AM
Rosemary's Baby is my favorite, with Chinatown as a close second. I would rank Rosemary's Baby as one of the greatest horror films ever made.

Paff
08-04-2009, 06:46 AM
Forget this poll, Rhett, it's Chinatown

Angelman
08-04-2009, 06:59 AM
Rosemary's Baby for me. Really liked the Pianist too. Was always "eh" on Chinatown.

Erick H.
08-04-2009, 07:01 AM
CHINATOWN,just edging out ROSEMARY'S BABY.I was lucky enough to have seen CHINATOWN at a great theater a few years ago ,brand new print.Classic.You have to admit the man has made a LOT of fine films.

Cujo108
08-04-2009, 07:03 AM
Rosemary's Baby, which is among my ten favorite films, period.

Chinatown and The Tenant are incredible as well, and The Ninth Gate is underrated.

eric_angelus
08-04-2009, 07:11 AM
I am a huge fan of Rosemary's Baby.

KamuiX
08-04-2009, 07:27 AM
It's a damn tough choice between Repulsion and Chinatown, and since Repulsion has no love, I'll put my vote with it. It could really be either depending on the day. Both are masterpieces.

Death and the Maiden is probably his most underrated, which is a shame since it's among his best. I've never seen a more powerful film that features only three characters in mostly one room. It's amazing.

Matt89
08-04-2009, 07:31 AM
There is one scene at the flat where a little dog keeps on trying to bite Polanski's hand, and for some reason it always has me in stitches.

Haha that scene gets me every time. :lol: "Oh, what a cute little dog." and then it tries to bite him when he moves in to pet it. Awesome.

~Matt

Slackjaw83
08-04-2009, 07:34 AM
Pirates. it's easily one of the wackiest, funnest films I've ever seen

Hellbilly
08-04-2009, 08:16 AM
Rosemary's Baby of course :)

Copyboy
08-04-2009, 10:16 AM
A lot of excellent films on that list, but went with DEATH AND THE MAIDEN.

Katatonia
08-04-2009, 10:28 AM
The Pianist, but with The Tenant, Rosemary's Baby and The Ninth Gate close behind.

Zodiac-Mindwarp
08-05-2009, 07:48 AM
Rosemary's Baby is the winner for me at the moment. But The Pianist and Chinatown are so close that they are often times my favorite on any given day.

MorallySound
08-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Rosemary's Baby. One of the only films I still find scary after all these years.

maybrick
08-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Polanski is a great director, but none of his films are among my favorites and so I don't hold him in that high of regard. I've rewatched The Ninth Gate more than any of the others so I picked that one.

Rockmjd
08-06-2009, 02:18 AM
The Pianist was an incredible movie. I was so mad that it lost out to Chicago for Best Picture. What a joke.

Harry Warden
08-06-2009, 03:00 AM
Rosemary's Baby, followed closely by The Tenant.

DVD-fanatic-9
08-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Repulsion - because I saw it for the first time last year, so it's newer and more interesting.

Originally, it would have been Rosemary's Baby and a good choice because it never loses an ounce of its' potency over repeat viewings.

NaturesMistake
08-12-2009, 06:27 AM
Macbeth... It's the greatest Shakespeare adaptation ever made with the exception of Tromeo and Juliet :p

BoredSeal
08-15-2009, 07:21 PM
Ninth Gate and Pianist. I voted for Ninth Gate, because I´ve seen it five times and I still like it. Rosemary´s Baby was ok, I don´t enjoy rest of his movies.

Anaestheus
08-15-2009, 08:52 PM
I'm going with Tenant as my initial reaction to it was one of the strongest I've had to any film. But, there is no denying that he has made some of the best films out there, so this was an extremely tough decision.

Rosemary's Baby took me a while to get. I first saw it as a teenager and thought is was incredibly boring. But, after a while and having forgotten about most of it. I watched it again and did find it immensely disturbing and would probably lean towards that as his masterpiece if my first experience with it was not so negative.

And Chinatown? My mother thinks that is one of the most evil films ever made. So that has to count for something.

But, of all his films, I do find myself watching Ninth Gate the most and that could end up, over time, being my favorite. It certainly does get better with repeat viewings.

And I was tempted to vote for the last option, just because of the innuendo of liking his shorts. But, that may be a result of just having watched "Wanted and Desired" - which is an excellent film for anyone interested in the rape case.

Richard--W
09-12-2009, 08:15 AM
This is a tough one because Roman Polanski is one of the great film makers and I love everytthing he does. Of his non-horror films, my favorites are Tess and Oliver Twist; immaculate masterpieces, both, with many lessons therein for storytellers.

Chinatown is the equal to Rosemary's Baby in every way, and if the poll were not closed, I would vote for Chinatown over Rosemary's Baby because of its impact on me personally. I also have a childhood affection for The Fearless Vampire Killers. To be fair, this poll should let us choose at least three.

Richard