PDA

View Full Version : Whodunit Horror Contest

rhett
08-26-2009, 04:34 AM
Hardcore horror and network television usually don't mix, but this spring CBS delivered HARPER'S ISLAND - a 13-episode, 9-hour slasher where there's at least a death an episode, with most of them shown in gory detail. Here's your chance to win one of three copies of the whole bloody affair...
http://www.horrordigital.com/reviews/contests/dvdcon.jpg

Hardcore horror and network television usually don't mix, but this spring CBS delivered HARPER'S ISLAND - a 13-episode, 9-hour slasher where there's at least a death an episode, with most of them shown in gory detail. Here's your chance to win one of three copies of the whole bloody affair...Of course, as important as the spattered crimson is, it's ultimately about the mystery. There are 25 of them...whodunit?

The whodunit has been a central device in narrative storytelling since the days of TEN LITTLE INDIANS. Hitchcock used it well, Argento brought it overseas, the giallo made it par for the horror course, and then the Americans took it back to take it in any direction possible with the slasher. Wherever or whenever the use, the whodunit is one of the central devices of modern horror.

We've got three copies of the HARPER'S ISLAND DVD set to give away and all you've got to do is tell us: What's your favorite whodunit? Let us know what mystery you've always liked the most, whether it was in the setup or in the audacity of the final reveal. What's the one that's stuck with you the most? Who killed Larua Palmer? Just what the hell does a bird's plumage have to do with the plot? Is April Fool's Day really just fun and games?

Tell us your favorite whodunit horror mystery in a single post in this thread and you'll be entered into a random selection September 7th, 2009 just in time to get HARPER'S ISLAND on street day on the 8th.

Best of luck...I look forward to deciphering the mystery of who these extra copies go to!

msw7
08-26-2009, 04:41 AM
Cool - a contest!

Murder by Death is my all time favorite - for the comedy and the deconstruction of the genre. Plus it's fairly spooky at times.

Dressed to Kill is my second favorite - for scaring the shit out of me when I was too young to watch it!

vampyr789
08-26-2009, 04:53 AM
And Then There Were None (the 1945 version) i love that movie so much. its a mystery classic. and i really do love the book too.

April Fool's Day is a great fun little flick with one hell of a twist ending

killit
08-26-2009, 05:01 AM
I guess for me it would have to be ten little indians. I still reference it

CrazyFatEthel
08-26-2009, 05:02 AM
Uhhh, for a whodunnit? I gotta go with Prom Night!!!:D

Spit
08-26-2009, 05:08 AM
Gotta go with the original My Bloody Valentine. Maybe I'm a little slow, but I really thought it was the other dude all the way through the movie....

old-boo-radley
08-26-2009, 05:11 AM
Hmmmm, let's say The Third Man.

sumo8675309
08-26-2009, 05:29 AM
gotta say deep red

soxfan666
08-26-2009, 05:43 AM
Rebecca

Erick H.
08-26-2009, 08:14 AM
I'll go with Argento's DEEP RED,the film that shows him transitioning from the classic style giallo to a more colorful,paranormal type of tale.It's the bridge film that leads to his wilder works like SUSPIRIA.
As with most of Argento's work the protagonist is not a detective nor policeman but an artist,namely a composer.Argento loves to put artistic types through the ringer,finding it more interesting to see someone who is not hardboiled sweating through a deadly mystery.As with THE BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMMAGE it's not a case of the hero not seeing what he needs to solve the mystery, it is his inabilty to comprehend WHAT he has seen.The answer is there,can he realize it before it's too late ? Wonderfully well shot ,it also boasts Argento's first collaboration with Goblin.Look out for some great murders and offbeat humor to go along with the striking colors and sinister score.The late David Hemmings is one of Argento's most likeable heroes and this film marked the beginning of Dario's relationship with Daria Nicolodi.The mystery plays fair,Argento shows you all you need to figure it out,though most don't.

Body Boy
08-26-2009, 08:16 AM
Hmmm, I'm going to say Girls Nite Out. The film itself is okay, but the mystery was like "how did I NOT see that? that's so weird that I didn't notice that." :)

Katatonia
08-26-2009, 08:21 AM
April Fools Day! I've loved it since I first saw it in the theater on its original release.

Grim
08-26-2009, 08:23 AM
As much as I love Dressed to Kill and Body Double (Body Double being in my top 20, maybe even top 10), De Palma's love of Hitchcock made figuring out their twists a fairly easy task. Opera, another huge favorite of mine, was also pretty easy to figure out after awhile.

So I'm going to say Scream. That film actually had me guessing and going back and forth so much on who the killer might be, and when I thought I had it figured out, it throws two killers at me. Might not be in my Top 20 or maybe even in my Top 40, but as a whodunit, I can't think of a film that's done it better.

bigdaddyhorse
08-26-2009, 09:22 AM
Probably My Bloody Valentine, followed close by April Fools.

NaturesMistake
08-26-2009, 09:59 AM
Hmmm tough one. I have a few, but I gotta say, Twitch of the Death Nerve, Aka. Bay of Blood...

That's a fun one because it's sort of a multiple "who dunnit" (If you've seen it, you know what I mean) and it is the precursor to "Friday the 13th."

Dressed to Kill
Body Double
Tenebre
My Bloody Valentine
Scream
Happy Birthday to Me
Friday the 13th
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me

are all good...

... Sleepaway Camp was also excellent and was almost my pick.

There are a great many classics in the genre (someone mentioned "Third Man")...
Anything with Bogart is usually good too (more noir mystery, but it still qualifies).

...there are too many great ones to truly choose from though (If we include noir, slasher, giallo, and simple mystery under the "Who dunnit category").

I'm sticking with TOTDN

"Who Shot Mr. Burns" was also awesome :p

Copyboy
08-26-2009, 10:04 AM
I would go with Tom Savage's novel VALENTINE. Absolutely blew me away. And then Hollywood came along and massacred it.

Please don't enter me in the drawing. I thought it had some good kills, but overall I really hated HARPER'S ISLAND.

marcx
08-26-2009, 01:53 PM
Tenebre

_pi_
08-26-2009, 03:59 PM
I could have sworn I posted here a few hours ago ... anyway, the first film that came to my mind was Basic Instinct. I've always been a big fan of that movie and I really love all the twists and turns, not least because Verhoeven is so sensationalistic in his approach to everything. The last notes of Jerry Goldsmith's score during the twist give me goosebumps every time.

Mutilated Prey
08-26-2009, 04:23 PM
Sleepaway Camp! A whata nice twist in the end :)

Richard Anthony
08-26-2009, 05:24 PM
There are so Many Favorites!! Right now, I would have to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!! I LOVE this 80'S Slasher and I was blown away at the time when they revealed who the Film's Killer was!! I didn't see that one coming at all!! It's an Excellent Horror Slasher Movie with some Great Deaths and a Surprise Killer that Wowed me!!

The Chaostar
08-26-2009, 05:27 PM
Whodunits I love:

Death on the Nile
Tenebre
Murder by death (I laugh my ass of every time)
Four Flies on gray velvet
Angel Heart (the perfect "the-devil-made-me-do-it" movie)

TheShape
08-26-2009, 05:35 PM
The Name of the Rose comes to mind.

I like it because it's a whodunit but in such an unusual setting for the genre (an abbey in the 14th century) and the "detective" is a monk with skills that could make Sherlock Holmes jealous.

Suicide
08-26-2009, 05:51 PM
7 people have already said it, but I'm going with April Fool's Day.

spawningblue
08-26-2009, 06:27 PM
Deep Red. I love the fact that if you look closely, you can see who the killer is right from the beginning.

Runners up would be April Fool's Day and Sleepaway Camp.

dave13
08-26-2009, 06:28 PM
lots of great ones mentioned already...some other favorites are the leopard man, basic instinct, and the maltese falcon.

SpaceAce
08-26-2009, 08:38 PM
Sleepaway camp for sure!

Caspar2112
08-26-2009, 09:01 PM
There have been so many great story lines to follow and many have been mentioned here. Argento kept me guessing all the way through DEEP RED and SLEEPLESS. The STENDHAL SYNDROME was wonderfully dark and intelligent in its confusion filled plotline but that is what Argento does best. Larry Cohen has taken simple premises and made them into wonderfully odd Detective Thrillers/Horrors like GOD TOLD ME TO and Q. Fulci's NEW YORK RIPPER was convoluted and insane as only he could pull off right down to the conclusion. If I had to mention one that has recently stuck in my head it has to be Carpenters CIGARETTE BURNS, would have made a great full length film. Character to character, that was a pulp novel in the making.

Mitbox
08-26-2009, 10:00 PM
April Fool's Day is awesome, I like Sisters too, Sleepaway Camp and Happy Birthday to Me along with Argento's (Bird, Deep red, Suspiria, etc.)

Cujo108
08-26-2009, 11:47 PM
Memories of Murder

Harry Warden
08-26-2009, 11:58 PM
I'd have to go with Scream. It kept me guessing right to the end and had a lot of fun twists and turns along the way.

Shannafey
08-27-2009, 12:56 AM
The one I love is an obscurity with Roddy McDowell called Arnold! I also liked Murder By Death a lot!

highclassrob
08-27-2009, 02:17 AM
My favorite has always been CLUE. Not only because its a send up of the whole whodunit genre but for the singing telegram scene, it gets me rolling every time! Plus the multiple explainations at the end make it even better.

2D4EVER
08-27-2009, 03:28 AM
Gotta be Twin Peaks/FWWM for me. Holy shit that scene near the end of FWWM with Leland running with Laura and Ronette through the woods was fucked up.

But Murder on the Orient Express is a classic I also love.

AndresG
08-27-2009, 06:48 AM
tough call for me but I must go with Sleepaway Camp followed closely by Tenebre & My Bloody Valentine...

fattyjoe37
08-27-2009, 10:45 AM
Scream

satans-sadists
08-27-2009, 04:03 PM
Was originally thinking Twin Peaks, but my favorite would have to be Blue Velvet. This was the first David Lynch movie I ever saw. Between the music, cinematography, Dennis Hopper, and Pabst Blue Ribbon - this movie will always stay with me.

indiephantom
08-27-2009, 05:10 PM
Sleuth (1972) The performances by Michael Cain and Laurence Olivier are terrific. Hell, they're the only characters in the film! Also, it was written by Anthony Schaefer who wrote the original Wicker Man.

baggio
08-27-2009, 08:44 PM
So many to pick from but, I always stuck up for this horror movie before:

April Fool's Day 1986

Besides the ending being quite fun, the setup is great. I just love the whole idea.

As for Non-Horror:

Gotta go with The Usual Suspects & Primal Fear

Mok
08-27-2009, 09:58 PM
Friday the 13th part 5 is sort of whodunit. I think that one or else April Fool's Day.

Azrael55
08-27-2009, 11:45 PM
The Last of Sheila.

Definitely underrated and I'm sure there will probably be a remake of this sometime in the future.

Tempest77
08-28-2009, 12:33 AM
2D4EVER might deserve this prize for having the exact same taste as me!
I would pick Twin Peaks the series over FWWM since we already knew who the killer was when the film came out.
Murder on the Orient Express's solution ranks as my favorite in any media

zompirejoe
08-28-2009, 02:16 AM
While not overall a great movie, Sleepaway Camp is still my favorite whodunit horror slasher film. Don't get me wrong, I love this movie. It's just too funny in some scenes. Every kid at this camp hates being there. The boys shorts are way to short, even by eighties standards. The camp cook is a pedophile, and his co -worker gently laughs at his disgusting remarks. Don't even get me started on the owner's Arnold Palmer like attire. And of course cousin Ricky's swear laden screaming, in defense of cousin Angela. The acting is not very good to boot. Despite all of this, there are some cool death scenes(the shocker with a curling iron is very original) and an overbearing sense of menace throughout( the my two Dads theme, and that weirdo Aunt really set the tone). The first scene is haunting, but the last five minutes, DAMN ! Where most of the film seems kind of crappy and laughable, the ending does a complete dark 360 degree turn. It's as if the last scene belongs in a different movie. That is a real twist, and still holds up as my favorite ending to any movie. If you haven't seen it, do so immediately. ;)

othervoice1
08-28-2009, 03:00 AM
Im gonna go out on a limb a bit and pick Oldboy - For a good part of the film you dont know who or why so I think it qualifies.

Kodiac Jack
08-29-2009, 02:13 AM
I'm going to say Intruder. It was obvious who the killer was, but the unveiling and rest of the movie was priceless.

Queen B
08-31-2009, 12:01 AM
DePalma's BODY DOUBLE. The reveal's a little hookey, but the insane twists (and the kick-ass REAR WINDOW-esque murder sequence) preceeding it made it all the more easier to swallow. It's one of those films that you can NEVER re-capture the feeling of seeing it for the first time.

shape22
08-31-2009, 04:41 AM
I'm tempted to go with Murder By Decree or Hammer's version of Hound of the Baskervilles. But I'll go with Pieces for sheer trashy fun. Bad chop suey!

vampyr789
08-31-2009, 05:03 AM
Wow Sleepaway Camp (aka my all time favorite slasher) is bein picked alot!! same w/ April Fools Day, My Bloody Valentine, and Tenebre (which are all also great)

My favorite has always been CLUE. Not only because its a send up of the whole whodunit genre but for the singing telegram scene, it gets me rolling every time! Plus the multiple explainations at the end make it even better.

duda du dada du i am your singin telegram*GUN SHOT!* its absolutely hilarious

17thJuggalo
08-31-2009, 06:51 AM
I have to go with The Bird With the Crystal Plumage. That movie introduced me to an entire "whodunit" sub genre we all know as the giallo film. After this flick I was hooked!

BloodMan
09-02-2009, 12:49 AM
TENEBRE. The reveal and final 10 minutes is just superb. Those gruesome hatchet attacks are damn brutal too! :)

tommy doyle
09-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Picnic at Hanging Rock comes to mind but it feels more like a 'whatdunit' rather than a 'whodunit'.

I'll default back to SE7EN.

Ptflea2
09-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Twin Peaks.

MorallySound
09-03-2009, 08:03 PM
I'm going with "What Have You Done to Solange?" A really well thought out giallo and sinister and believable reveal at the end thoroughly gives you both the "sizzle and the steak."

jstell
09-04-2009, 11:25 PM
The Last of Sheila (1974) is just wonderful, with a great '70s cast and fun mystery that gives the audience all the clues but still surprises.

scott71670
09-05-2009, 05:29 AM
Sisters for the final shot where you really see how "off" Charles Durning's character is, and The House with the Laughing Windows in the original as the audio tapes portion creeped the heck out of me.

moogong
09-06-2009, 02:49 AM
Sleepaway Camp. I think I was half way paying attention to the movie until the last scene. I had to start the movie over again and give it my full attention...and not because I wanted to see some more wang. I had to watch it see if there were any solid clues about the ending.

mcchrist
09-06-2009, 03:37 AM
Radley mentioned it first. The Third Man.

Shock Waves
09-07-2009, 02:24 AM
I always liked Rene Clair's AND THEN THERE WERE NONE (1945).

The island setting, the ten little indians, and Barry Fitzgerald/ Walter Houston's performances make this the best Agatha Christie movie out there.

And it's aged well. One of my favorite late and rainy night movies.

And just for laughs, I really liked MURDER BY DEATH.

rhett
09-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Announcing the winners shortly...any last minute submissions?

Novosibirsk
09-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Last minute...gotta say Deep Red, was caught totally off guard in the final act! Got to love it.

BroodingHope
09-08-2009, 02:15 AM
I may be too late, but I'm gonna have to go with Terror Train. It seems an unlikely choice but I didn't see the killer coming at all.

rhett
09-08-2009, 03:11 PM
The contest is now closed. Thanks for all the 60-odd submissions, it was nice to hear all the different picks, and surprising to see some really dominate. That said, here are the winners:

CrazyFatEthel
AndresG
MorallySound

Winners, please contact me via PM and I'll get the package out to you once it arrives to me. Congrats and thanks to all. A new contest starts up this week.

MorallySound
09-08-2009, 05:33 PM
WOOT! Thanks Rhett! You've got a PM.

And congrats to the other winners!

baggio
09-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Congrats to the winners!

Workshed
09-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Good to see long-timer MorallySound pick up some goods, and congrats to CFE and AndreasG, too.

Harry Warden
09-09-2009, 02:15 AM
Congrats to all the winners!! :banana:

vampyr789
09-09-2009, 04:00 AM
yea!! congrats!!! LOL u kno wats funny for English i just started reading The Speckled Band a dectecive whodunit...hahahah

spawningblue
09-09-2009, 06:28 AM
Congrats guys!

Erick H.
09-09-2009, 07:39 AM
Congrats guys !

Copyboy
09-09-2009, 11:22 AM
yea!! congrats!!! LOL u kno wats funny for English i just started reading The Speckled Band a dectecive whodunit...hahahah

I remember reading that story freshman year of high school and loving it. The only thing I remember about it now is the climax when the mystery of the speckled band if finally revealed.

And congrats to the winners! Hopefully you'll get more enjoyment out of the HARPER'S ISLAND PTA than I did.

WesReviews
09-09-2009, 02:59 PM
I liked Harper's Island. About as good as a network slasher mini-series could probably be. Wasn't a fan of some of the turns it took in the last few episodes, but overall, I enjoyed it.

CrazyFatEthel
09-12-2009, 09:15 AM
Woo hoo!!! First time I've ever won anything!!!

acp35
09-14-2009, 09:02 PM
Tenebrae is a great one. Also loved Deep Red, Prom Night, My Bloody Valentine, The Prowler, and who can forget Friday the 13th.

But for pure fun, fun, chessiness I do enjoy Friday the 13th part 5.

Now if we are talking TV, Twin peaks and Veronica Mars were amazing whodunnits. The second season of Varonica Mars reveal was incredible in how it put both seasons together. It could have ended right there and been gold.

MorallySound
09-23-2009, 06:35 PM
Got the DVD set this week. Can't wait to check it out! Thanks again, Rhett!