PDA

View Full Version : Are better Blu-ray versions of Dawn of the Dead (2004) and Carrie (1976) coming soon

crikan
08-27-2009, 04:29 PM
I plan to buy the blu-ray version of Dawn of the Dead (2004) (http://www.amazon.com/Dawn-Dead-Unrated-Directors-Blu-ray/dp/B001CW7ZW6/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1R0KDXS2TNQ70&colid=QQH76IHXJTAT) and Carrie (1976) (http://www.amazon.com/Carrie-Blu-ray-Sissy-Spacek/dp/B001D8W7CW/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I27MRUI4N7M15K&colid=QQH76IHXJTAT) soon. Has anyone heard of better versions coming soon. I didn't see anything listed at blu-ray.com. I've been buying up blu-ray's at a ridiculous rate recently and I have a bad feeling that these movies are going to be replaced with upgrades soon. Thanks

spawningblue
08-27-2009, 05:34 PM
Dawn of the Dead Ultimate Edition is rumored to be coming out next year I believe. Haven't heard anything about Carrie unfortunately though. I personally am waiting on a better version of The Thing.

chrismac87
08-27-2009, 06:20 PM
He asked about the 04' version of DAWN Spawn, not the original.

I'm sure eventually Universal will re-release DAWN OF THE DEAD on Blu Ray but from what I recall the HD-DVD had the same extras from the DVD and with the exception of a handful, were all in standard definition which I'm sure Universal would just do again if they ever re-issued the disc.

So if you have the DVD, really just hold onto it and you have all the extras the film is more than likely ever going to have.

I personally would like to see them release THE FRIGHTENERS and TREMORS on Blu Ray instead of re-releasing some of the titles they already have. Especially with DISTRICT 9 being in theaters, I thought for sure both would get a re-issue being one's a Peter Jackson film and the other has to do with alien-esque creatures although it's never really discovered where the Graboids do come from...still, cheesy monster movie, monster/alien movie in theaters - I see a connection!

I'm just hoping that when DISTRICT 9 makes its way to DVD/Blu Ray - TREMORS and THE FRIGHTENERS may follow suite.

Dave
08-27-2009, 06:30 PM
I just got The Frighteners HD-DVD and I heard the documentary is terribly compressed. That makes sense. I mean, the director's cut is over 2 hours long and the documentary is 4.5 hours. So you are talking over 6.5 hours of video and 25gb of space. Yuck. I bet the doc. looks better on the DVD; at least that was DVD-18 with 8gb dedicated to the documentary - though that is still pushing it on 4.5 hours of video.

bigdaddyhorse
08-27-2009, 06:51 PM
Dawn of the Dead Ultimate Edition is rumored to be coming out next year I believe. Haven't heard anything about Carrie unfortunately though. I personally am waiting on a better version of The Thing.

What's wrong with the current Thing BR? Just less extras than the dvd (from looking at back cover this seems to be the case) or a shitty transfer?
I'm chomping at the bit to upgrade this title since I have the old non-anamorphic dvd and a new BR player.
If extras, then fuck it I'm not waiting. Transfer would be worth a wait.

spawningblue
08-27-2009, 07:42 PM
What's wrong with the current Thing BR? Just less extras than the dvd (from looking at back cover this seems to be the case) or a shitty transfer?
I'm chomping at the bit to upgrade this title since I have the old non-anamorphic dvd and a new BR player.

Just extras missing.

chrismac87
08-27-2009, 08:22 PM
Well if I recall, aren't HD-DVD's only like 18 GB or something like that?

And a dual layered Blu Ray disc is 50 GB?

I'm sure they could fit everything on a dual layered disc with no compression.

Honestly though, if they put just the films on Blu Ray with the commentaries - the extras missing on Blu Ray don't bother me as much only because I'll just keep the DVD version I have. Most of the time they're just the same extras ported over and in standard def to boot.

X-human
08-27-2009, 09:02 PM
I just got The Frighteners HD-DVD and I heard the documentary is terribly compressed. That makes sense. I mean, the director's cut is over 2 hours long and the documentary is 4.5 hours. So you are talking over 6.5 hours of video and 25gb of space.

HD DVD was 15gb/30gb. Blu-ray is 25gb/50gb.

Katatonia
08-27-2009, 11:53 PM

The Thing Blu-ray has DNR applied to the transfer to reduce grain, which takes away some of the detail. Universal didn't apply it to the previous HD-DVD's transfer.

chrismac87
08-28-2009, 12:19 AM
Honestly, if that's the only difference - I see no reason not to upgrade from the standard def, non-anamorphic DVD.

I bought THE THING Blu Ray and was blown away by the picture and sound quality, for a film that's over 25 years old it has aged very well. It's probably one of the few mainstream horror films from the 80s that still pack the punch it packed when it was released and on Blu Ray it just feels like a newer, bigger film.

I never saw the HD-DVD print, and honestly removing grain from some of these titles doesn't bother me as much as it does others. Regardless of if they used DNR or not, it's still a serious upgrade from the DVD and worth picking up if you're a fan of the film.

Katatonia
08-28-2009, 12:28 AM
Regardless of if they used DNR or not, it's still a serious upgrade from the DVD and worth picking up if you're a fan of the film.

It's definitely an upgrade from the DVD, but some studios go wild with DNR simply to remove "grain" from a film. New Line did this liberally on many of their Blu-rays (Dark City, Pans Labyrinth). Sometimes it's not really a bad thing, but at other times it can be so heavily applied as to reduce sharpness and detail and make the transfer look almost video-like and ultra-smooth, i.e. fake and tinkered with.

It isn't applied too heavily to The Thing and not a major drawback, but it still puzzles me as to why they felt the need.

chrismac87
08-28-2009, 12:36 AM
Maybe it was just the print they used, it might have had too much grain.

I know watching the remake of THE LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT the other night, there are a few scenes that are overloaded with grain, I also remember MIRRORS being heavy in the grain department as well and when watching both movies with my friends, they thought something was wrong with my TV.

Other parts of the films don't have as much grain or it isn't as noticeable as it is in other parts but regardless if you don't know what grain really does for a film, someone might think it's a defect in the disc or poor mastering on the studio's part.

Katatonia
08-28-2009, 12:46 AM
but regardless if you don't know what grain really does for a film, someone might think it's a defect in the disc or poor mastering on the studio's part.

Which is exactly why studios apply DNR. Grain in Blu-ray transfers doesn't bother me at all, it's an integral part of the original film stock. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre looks great on Blu-ray for instance, 16mm grain and all. I would personally prefer seeing it look as much like the original film source, rather than the transfer CG-altered to hell.

chrismac87
08-28-2009, 08:12 AM
As would I my good man. Grain adds a hefty amount of detail, we cinephiles know that - but the general Joe Schmoe at Best Buy...probably doesn't. So the studio looks at the mass, and runs with it.

I mean honestly besides hardcore fans like ourselves, do you honestly think anyone is going to go to Universal complaining they used DNR on THE THING Blu Ray so the grain is missing in most parts in comparison to the HD-DVD?

I really don't think anyone would even notice unless it was pointed out to them and the chances of them caring unless they're again a fan of the film, is slim.

crikan
08-28-2009, 01:41 PM
I really don't like grain on blu-rays and would be willing to give some detail to reduce it. I was in the same boat as you bigdaddyhorse and I won't regret upgrading even if a better disc comes out soon. The picture is fantastic and it does have some extras, just not all from the best DVD. It's only $15.99 at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Thing-Blu-ray-Kurt-Russell/dp/B001CW7ZWG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1251463249&sr=1-3).

bigdaddyhorse
08-28-2009, 06:25 PM
I really don't like grain on blu-rays and would be willing to give some detail to reduce it. I was in the same boat as you bigdaddyhorse and I won't regret upgrading even if a better disc comes out soon. The picture is fantastic and it does have some extras, just not all from the best DVD. It's only $15.99 at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Thing-Blu-ray-Kurt-Russell/dp/B001CW7ZWG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1251463249&sr=1-3).

Or $15.88 and no shiping at Deepdiscount.:)
I should'vfe bought myself a BD player before that last sale, now i must be patient and wait for the next one.

Hellbilly
10-13-2010, 07:57 PM
I bought the new Blu-ray of Carrie released 09/14. This one has all the special features which I believe can be found on the also included DVD version.
I read the transfer of the 2008 Blu-ray of Carrie wasn't too hot. I'm not sure if they used the same transfer for the re-release but I must say I was pleasantly surprised. It simply looks marvelous. I'd rate the quality 4-4.5/5

Kolpitz
10-13-2010, 08:26 PM
I bought the new Blu-ray of Carrie released 09/14. This one has all the special features which I believe can be found on the also included DVD version.
I read the transfer of the 2008 Blu-ray of Carrie wasn't too hot. I'm not sure if they used the same transfer for the re-release but I must say I was pleasantly surprised. It simply looks marvelous. I'd rate the quality 4-4.5/5

It's the same exact disc; they just tossed in a copy of the Special Edition DVD. I also thought the transfer was quite good, but I tend to disagree with people when they have problems with Blu-ray transfers. If it's about excessive DNR, EE, etc. then I can understand. A lot of times though, as is the case with Carrie, it's a fault with the source material. Carrie is a very soft film and it's never going to look super detailed. As long as Blu-ray presents a film as close as possible to its original theatrical presentation, then I'm set.

X-human
10-14-2010, 02:37 AM
Dawn of the Dead Ultimate Edition is rumored to be coming out next year I believe.

So, where the hell did that go? I'm still waiting for it; never got the single disc. :cry:

Nailwraps
10-14-2010, 04:50 AM
Just for the record the UE Blu-Ray rumour is for the 1978 Original and not the 2004 remake.

Matt89
10-14-2010, 05:15 AM
Just for the record the UE Blu-Ray rumour is for the 1978 Original and not the 2004 remake.

Yeah, pretty sure we all guessed that.

~Matt

crikan
10-14-2010, 02:20 PM
It's the same exact disc; they just tossed in a copy of the Special Edition DVD. I also thought the transfer was quite good, but I tend to disagree with people when they have problems with Blu-ray transfers. If it's about excessive DNR, EE, etc. then I can understand. A lot of times though, as is the case with Carrie, it's a fault with the source material. Carrie is a very soft film and it's never going to look super detailed. As long as Blu-ray presents a film as close as possible to its original theatrical presentation, then I'm set.

Agreed. I am very happy with the Carrie BD.

Matt89
10-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Yeah, it's definitely a solid upgrade.

~Matt