PDA

View Full Version : MPAA, ratings

David666
02-10-2001, 01:07 AM
Its sad to see that director's must compromise the artistic merit of their film for the all-mighty MPAA just to sell their films to larger audiances. Theaters used to run unrated material all the time. And in some states it became illegal... at least I know it did here in Texas. The local arthouse theatre ran unrated material all the time only to be fined many thousands of dollars per run. The owner, a man of pride and integrity stood up to the local jerks and continued to run the films and pay the fines as he founght the law. Single handedly he won, but it took several years.

But what of the home video market, where once upon a time it was considered the normal to release the unrated version of a film? Well, you have only one company to blame for the shreding of your home viewing pleasures... Lackluster, oh um I mean Blockbuster. In their refusal to carry unrated and NC-17 films studios were forced to nab an R for there films to sell. Lets face it, Lackluster is the largest video chain and their business means more to studios then the bitching of genre fans. But the ironic thing is this, as I search the New Release wall I spy several Direct-to-video sex flicks that are... drunroll please, unrated. Not only that, but Lackluster now has an exclusive line of films and most of them are... shock/shock... unrated. Can we say, HYPOCRITES!!!

Does this just burn anyone else up? I know I'm on fire. When I see Cronenberg having to shred Crash so that Lackluster will carry it, yet these pathetic, non-erotic direct-to-video sex flicks get passed in full form... its just damn irritating. Thankfully, though Crash can be had inits full form... other films are not so lucky. I did not like Cherry Falls, but its pretty clear that the unrated version is much better. And in cases such as this, Lackluster is the one to blame. :mad:

jeffschmidt
02-10-2001, 09:35 AM
$hitbuster definitely sucks. I can't believe that movies are censored so often in this day & age. The worst thing is that movies intended for a certain audience (horror films are a perfect example) get hacked up by whomever without any thought as to how the target audience will react.

Blockbuster, and censors in general, seem to think "This movie was made for the horror crowd, but I don't think the soccer moms will dig it, so we'd better cut some stuff out." Dammit, if people don't agree with the content of a film/record/book then they should make the choice to not see/listen to/read it!

Recently on IFC there was an interview with John Waters. He said that in some city (can't remember) a family had seen & liked Pecker (one of Waters' more accessible movies) so they rented Pink Flamingoes from Blockbuster. PF is a very raunchy film & this set of parents was outraged and complained to Blockbuster, who promptly took the film off the shelf. Now, that may be more related to that specific store than to BB in general, but it's a good example of how one person's opinion can ruin something for other people. Now in that town people who like John Waters movies can't rent them from that store because some Mighty Ducks-lovin' $hitheads were offended.

I could rant on this all night...

Jeremy
02-10-2001, 04:29 PM
Does anybody see the absurdity in this? We all know that if you want something like the Paragon big-box of Fulci's Gates of Hell or something else unrated, you're best bet is going to a smaller store. Now, for the most part, the "values of the community" people ignore the smaller stores like, say, K&K Video of Naples, Maine, even though they're usually run by members of the community and would presumably be more appreciative to the demands of the local population. But who is it that people turn to to uphold the "values of their community"? A HUGE MULTI-NATIONAL CORPORATIPON!!! For the love of god, Blockbuster has stores in nearly 30 countries. That just doesn't make any sense.

MovieFan
02-10-2001, 08:08 PM
Another thing that bugs me is that Ballbuster won't carry NC-17/Unrated material... but yet they'll carry such films as... Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Evil Dead, and Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer just to name a few... and we all know those four films are unrated (and yes, Blockbuster does carry the unrated cut of Day..., not the R-Rated cut). So they'll carry unrated titles of some films, but not the others. This makes Ballbuster a bunch of freaking hypocrites.

I could rant on this subject for a week, but I'll save that for another post. :)

mutleyhyde
02-10-2001, 08:26 PM
Guys, I haven't rented from Lackluster for over eight years - ever since one wise-ass "manager" openly, and loudly, chastised me in front of a full store for having the audacity to ask if they had Last Temptation of Christ. Fuck them. That's not the only reason. I fully empathise with everyone elses complaints too. I guess that was just the last straw. Only now, years later do I stop in every once in a while to see what dvds they have for sale in the bargain bin, and even that's on rare occasion. I was probably in there a grand total of two times in all of 2000, and I haven't been in at all this year.

Ash
02-10-2001, 09:48 PM
This is old news dude. Ratings and censorship for films and other forms of entertainment and art aren't going to go away as long as there are those conservative biotches running the government. Is Ballbuster the only rental store in your area? If so I feel sorry for you. I'm glad there are independantly runned video stores where I live that carry almost everything without giving into the MPAA.

Mark Relford
02-10-2001, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by MovieFan:
Another thing that bugs me is that Ballbuster won't carry NC-17/Unrated material... but yet they'll carry such films as... Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Evil Dead, and Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer just to name a few... and we all know those four films are unrated (and yes, Blockbuster does carry the unrated cut of Day..., not the R-Rated cut). So they'll carry unrated titles of some films, but not the others. This makes Ballbuster a bunch of freaking hypocrites.

Yep, hypocrisy at its finest.
They also carry TCM2, Night of the Demons (Unrated), Desperate Living, Man Bites Dog, and here's the kicker, STREET TRASH! (Surprisingly, no complaints from soccer moms yet.) :D
But they refuse to carry unrated versions of American Psycho, American Pie, and Road Trip! :rolleyes:

DEATH TO SCHLOCKBUSTER!!! :mad:

ArrowBeach
02-11-2001, 01:02 PM
What erks me about them is that they refuse to carry the unrated versions of AMERICAN PIE or ROAD TRIP, yet if it comes to THEIR label's exclusive release like EROTIC THRILLERS which borders on NC17, yet since its THEIR exclusive, go ahead mom and pops, rent movies with Lisa Boyle to Julie Strain, Carmana Lannaga, Tane McClure, Landon Hall to Gabrille Hall getting it in movies that has more sex, more skin than the unrated cut of AMERICAN PIE.

It just makes no sense to me! And same goes for their exclusive horror titles as well. Hypocrites! And the irony is who does the community support, the mom and pop stores owened by a local (where I live that doesnt exist anymore) or the corporate chains who cares less what the community wants? You guessed it!

I used ot own a video store for 5 years, and I tell you, luckluster has some magic hold on them. If i tell the customers they have a .50 cent late fee, they refuse topay, and never comeback again, BUT I see those exact people, luckluster tells them they have a 8 .00 late fee, instead of complaining, they pay like sheeps, and rent some more! Must be sublimial messages in their stereo I tell ya!

David666
02-11-2001, 11:19 PM
I managed a video store for nearly 2 years, we were put out of business by the opening of a Hollywood and Blockbuster right down the street from us. As an indie store there was no way we could carry the amount of titles these two can, nor the quantity of those titles. And to top it all off, the owner of the store refused to listen to me in regards to what customers were renting. I went into the system and found, without fail, that horror was the only genre that always profited. No horror title lost money. Yet, the owner didn't like horror so he rarely bought it. He'd buy drama, which always looses money. Yeah, sure Evita and Waiting to Exhale did very well at the boxoffice, but at the video store we lost money on every copy of both films. He also was under the impression that sleaze was the top renting genre. I proved him wrong by my report, but that did not stop him from buying huge quantities of sex flicks. Now, true, certain titles rent very well, but its pretty much a 75/25 split. 75% will profit, but the other 25% won't rent. He may have been basing his decission on the stores biggest renter, which was a sex flick that had gone into the thousands of dollars of profit per tape. Action was a big renter, but because he'd buy so many copies of the title, they would not profit as much as a horror title. Comedy was like the sex flicks, some would rent off the shelf regularly, whicle others lost money. And so I think this is the case with other video stores too. I think people underestimate the power of the genre. It was the only sure-fire profit winner in our store, and I can't believe it's not the same elsewhere. But, stores just don't carry the titles. Mom and Pop stoes around my area only carry the A-list titles, making finding a smaller film impossible.

I had membership at a video store that was GREAT. They actually had a Horror Room, a Hanuted House built into the corner of their store complete with creaking floors, scary sounds playing and lifesize Freddy, Carrie and Dracula statues. They clearly understood the profitablity of the genre and capitalized on it to full advantage. They also carried every horror and sci-fi title that came out. Sadly, this store was also put out of business by the opening of a Blockbuster in the same shopping center.

Now, what I can't understand is why a consumer would go to Blockbuster and pay more to rent a film? More for late fees? And have to deal with the censoring ways of the company? The only reason I go to Blockbuster is if I can't find a film anywhere else... or if they're having a PVT sale. Their last sale was $2 off a movie and prices started at $2.99... so I got 35 movies that are nearly impossible to find, for a buck each. For that, I'll go there.

Hollywood and Blockbuster are pushing the Mom and Pop stores out of business. This along with immoral people who scam stores for all their worth makie it impossible to profit. At our store we had a $3000 a month theft rate, $1500 in lost profit because of unpaid late fees. Its a difficult business, as the climate is I do not recommend anyone getting into it.

So, unfortunatly most of us don't have much of a choice in where we rent our videos and DVDs. Its sad, but unless millions are willing to boycott... there's really nothing we can do about it.

TobalRox
02-12-2001, 02:33 AM
there used to be a place in the mall where I could rent DVDs for 99 cents a night, and they had a huge selection. Of course, we have a blockbuster and hollywood right next to it, so it was there only for a month or two. They tried to have the fact that they also sold computers as another point to keep them in there, but that's too expensive for a mall where people just go randomly. Sad. Hey, at least I was able to get my copy of Re-Animator from them (but that's another story) :-) hehe.

AceRimRat
02-12-2001, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by ArrowBeach:
yet since its THEIR exclusive, go ahead mom and pops, rent movies with Lisa Boyle to Julie Strain, Carmana Lannaga, Tane McClure, Landon Hall to Gabrille Hall getting it

dude, you're starting to frighten me. i thought i watched too much late-night cable. :eek:

and i gotta agree with the rest of you - i moved away from a place with a nice local store to a place where the only store i've found yet is blockbuster, and it sucks. i can't rent anything good. i'm not so much worried about unrated Road Trips as much as like, i'd like to rent stendhal syndrome. or maybe american psycho. blockbuster isn't bad for the mainstream stuff (always plenty of copies) but on the niche stuff, they stink.

TobalRox
02-13-2001, 03:37 AM
well, like you need to hear this, but my mom just sent me an e-mail from home to let me know that my favorite local video store just went out of business. I wish I knew sooner, I could have snagged some OOP VHS cheap.