PDA

View Full Version : Will Halloween be your Final Destination this weekend?

rhett
08-29-2009, 07:34 AM
In one of the most foolishly bull-headed horror battles of recent memory, both HALLOWEEN 2 and THE FINAL DESTINATION are being pitted against each other this weekend at the box office. Which one will you be seeing? Will the market self-destruct? Should I practice journalistic objectivity when writing about Rob Zombie? Let's hear it!

fattyjoe37
08-29-2009, 07:42 AM
As a fan of both series' I will be seeing both this weekend.

Cujo108
08-29-2009, 07:45 AM
I'll be doing a double feature come Sunday evening. I also hope to finally see The Hurt Locker this weekend. It may be later in the week though since the theater showing it is further away.

eric_angelus
08-29-2009, 07:46 AM
Got to see The Final Destination 2 days early (and for free...Thanks Mike) and it's no secret that I would rather flush my money down the toilet than give it to Rob Zombie, so technically my answer is neither, but I have nothing to do tomorrow afternoon...and could stand some 3-D fun again, so my vote is for TFD.

satans-sadists
08-29-2009, 07:47 AM
Neither, but I may go to see Kill Bill. One of our local theaters is playing both volumes back to back tomorrow night.

vampyr789
08-29-2009, 07:57 AM
im goin to see Taking Woodstock tomorrow night

rhett
08-29-2009, 08:02 AM
I also hope to finally see The Hurt Locker this weekend.

You'll love it, my friend. One of the best I've seen all year...it's great to see Bigelow back showing the boys how to direct.

Cujo108
08-29-2009, 08:30 AM
^ Oh, I have little doubt that you're right. I'm definitely a fan of Bigelow's work. I also saw an interview with her recently, and wow, she's only gotten more stunning with age.

DVD-fanatic-9
08-29-2009, 08:45 AM
Neither.

$10 (or $12+ in some theaters, the 3-D ones charge more I hear- least in some parts of America) for big-studio trash? I haven't paid $10 to see a movie in my life and I won't be starting for one of those, t.y.v.m.

rhett
08-29-2009, 09:53 AM
It's $15 here for a 3D flick, but that's cheaper than going out for a few beers and a lot better on the liver, so what the hell?

Vlachio
08-29-2009, 09:56 AM
Neither I am sick & tired of bad corny horror movies.

DVD-fanatic-9
08-29-2009, 10:03 AM
Neither I am sick & tired of bad corny horror movies.
Pretty much what I was thinking. Except- for Final Destination, read SM's review and it dawned on me: there have already been dozens of horror films in the past (far back as the 80's) that existed just to watch annoying characters being killed. How does that appeal last into today's overbudgeted, overly loud and obnoxious fodder?

And describing anything Rob Zombie does as "corny" is kind of like insulting corny.

bigdaddyhorse
08-29-2009, 10:12 AM
Voted FD although I did see both. I paid for FD but still want my money back for H2.:confused:

Katatonia
08-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Err... my Final Destination will be the toilet, so I can shit out Halloween 2. :nervous:

crikan
08-29-2009, 04:03 PM
I typically go to the theater about 4 times a year. I have a nice setup at home so I usually only put up with the crowds when I can't wait 6 months to see a movie. So it's odd that I plan on seeing GI Joe with my brother today and I hope to see Halloween 2 alone tomorrow. I have no doubt both are terrible movies that I will thoroughly enjoy.

Dave
08-29-2009, 04:16 PM
Thinking about taking my son and my two nieces to see TFD Sunday night. They are sleeping over and we are hitting Six Flags on Monday morning. But yeah, the thought of $48 for a night at the movies is a bit upsetting. Needless to say, there won't be any popcorn purchase!

Harry Warden
08-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Halloween 2

Harry Warden
08-29-2009, 04:20 PM
Should I practice journalistic objectivity when writing about Rob Zombie? Let's hear it!

Yes

X-human
08-29-2009, 04:33 PM
Voted Neither.

If anyone can think of a logical reason why I should, I'd love to hear it. The letters B and J would be a good place to start...

rhett
08-29-2009, 05:21 PM
Voted Neither.

If anyone can think of a logical reason why I should, I'd love to hear it. The letters B and J would be a good place to start...

You want Rob Zombie to give you a blow job? Is that it? Give him a few more years of bad movies and he'll probably have to resort to that. :D

Dave
08-29-2009, 05:59 PM
Gimicky 3d ownz! That is reason enough.

X-human
08-29-2009, 07:28 PM
You want Rob Zombie to give you a blow job? Is that it? Give him a few more years of bad movies and he'll probably have to resort to that. :D

Well if he knows how to hold back his teeth, might just feel like a hairy beaver...

Oh come on, admit it guys, when you see a glory hole you're just two steps away from saying, "What the hell." and shoving your dick in there. A hole's a hole. :D

othervoice1
08-29-2009, 08:38 PM
Both are getting awful reviews with Final Destination sounding like the more boring of the two. I will be going to see Halloween 2 either this weekend or next with some friends that want to go otherwise I probably would have waited for the dvd to give it a rent. My expectations will be low going in so maybe ill be surprised-The remake of Halloween I was split on - hated the prequal portion and enjoyed the actual remake portion.
With that said I am still tempted to see Final Destination in the theatre because of the 3-D element- I really liked the original and part two was watchable. So if this one seems watchable the 3-D could drag me to the theatre.

fceurich39
08-29-2009, 09:35 PM
seen h2 yesterday and TFD today i thought both were horrible yet i'll be getting both on dvd/blu-ray TFD on DVD and H2 on blu-ray hopefully it will have both versions the horrible theatrical and the director's cut which i already know will be better i don't want to buy a theatrical and director's cut separatly like the last rob zombie halloween film

any way i thought h2 was slightly better

Workshed
08-29-2009, 10:17 PM
Neither. I've only cared to see the first Final Destination film, and I turned off Zombie's Halloween 45 minutes into it. I'm going to spend my money at the bar tonight instead.

Mutilated Prey
08-30-2009, 01:44 AM
Gonna wait for DVD on both titles.

AndresG
08-30-2009, 02:51 AM
neither, as others, will wait for the DVD/Blu-ray releases...

spawningblue
08-30-2009, 03:57 AM
Gimicky 3d ownz! That is reason enough.

Exactly. I will be going to see Final Destination (Although it may now wait until later this week) as it's a movie that you have to see in theaters as I'm sure the 3-D at home will be pretty crappy. MBV 3D was okay on Blu I guess, but still nothing compared to the experience at the theatre! That and I really enjoyed the earlier three movies from the series. Don't know what everyone is complaining about? They are fun movies with creative and gory deaths, what more do you want? They are no different/ worse then all the cheesy 80s sequels that were too more of the same.

Halloween 2 I have no interest in. I have no problems with Rob Zombie as I have somewhat enjoyed all of his movies to a point, but this one just sounds terrible. I might check it out when it hits home video as I'm sure it may be a decent horror film, but a Halloween film it is not. Why bother calling it Halloween if you are going to take out all the things that make the series what it is. That and I'm getting sick of his white trash dialogue and characters. Just because it worked for two of his movies doesn't mean it needs to be in all of them. I cringe at the thought of him remaking The Blob. I have a feeling it will be hitting a trailer park this time.

evildeadfan123
08-30-2009, 05:26 AM
Saw Final Destination with my Husband Friday Night, and it cost $13.00, which is a little excessive, and then they want you to put your glasses in a box so they can recycle them. Then, tonight I watched Rob Zombie's Unrated Halloween 3-Disc DVD, and I am going to see Halloween 2 tomorrow.

CrazyFatEthel
08-30-2009, 05:53 AM
Well, I chose neither, but my friend called me up and offered to buy me a free ticket to see Halloween 2...God I wish I hadnt gone!!!!

Kianna Rhodes
08-30-2009, 06:04 AM
Final Destination ill be seeing about 5 times tomorrow

rxfiend
08-30-2009, 11:30 AM
I seen both, along with Inglorious Basterds at a drive-in triple feature. Enjoyed all 3.

eric_angelus
08-30-2009, 06:57 PM
According to IMDB, both TFD and Inglorious Basterds beat H2 at the box office...with H2 doing 17 million and "failing to come close to the franchise restarter."

rhett
08-30-2009, 09:14 PM
According to IMDB, both TFD and Inglorious Basterds beat H2 at the box office...with H2 doing 17 million and "failing to come close to the franchise restarter."

I'd say H2 still did pretty good all things considered. Had the Weinstein's not been a bunch of goofs in putting H2 up against a high profile 3-D horror flick as well as INGLORIOUS BASTERDS, which basically commands the same male audience, they definitely would have seen a better number. When you take into account the higher cost of 3D tickets, H2 and TFD aren't too far apart in terms of actual attendance.

Kolpitz
08-30-2009, 09:29 PM
I'd say H2 still did pretty good all things considered. Had the Weinstein's not been a bunch of goofs in putting H2 up against a high profile 3-D horror flick as well as INGLORIOUS BASTERDS, which basically commands the same male audience, they definitely would have seen a better number. When you take into account the higher cost of 3D tickets, H2 and TFD aren't too far apart in terms of actual attendance.

Rhett, why do you have to ruin our happiness with logic?

othervoice1
08-31-2009, 03:32 AM
I actually ended up seeing District 9 today instead of either of these- but I have plans to see H2 next weekend.

spawningblue
08-31-2009, 07:04 PM

Yeah sad but true it was still a success. It only cost $15 million to make so it has already made $2 million in profits.

Workshed
08-31-2009, 09:31 PM
What's the logic in not releasing a movie called "Halloween" during the month of October?

Is there higher-profile competition that month?

Spit
08-31-2009, 10:02 PM
I saw them both...but only paid for Halloween 2...

dave13
09-01-2009, 12:26 AM
saw both for free, would recommend final destination as a fun time, and halloween as a sharp reminder of why, exactly, rob zombie sucks.

Kolpitz
09-01-2009, 12:54 AM
What's the logic in not releasing a movie called "Halloween" during the month of October?

Is there higher-profile competition that month?

Ever since Dimension bought the rights to the franchise, there hasn't been a Halloween film released in theatres in October. The closest they got was with The Curse of Michael Myers, which came out the last weekend in September.

The Curse of Michael Myers - September 29, 2005
H20: 20 Years Later - August 5, 1998
Resurrection - July 12, 2002
Halloween (2007) - August 31, 2007

It doesn't make any sense until about 2004, when Saw started coming out annually. Like them or hate them, each Saw film still does gangbusters opening weekend. Most studios try to avoid releasing genre product the same weekend.

spawningblue
09-01-2009, 03:21 AM
I saw them both...but only paid for Halloween 2...

Shame on you!

It doesn't make any sense until about 2004, when Saw started coming out annually. Like them or hate them, each Saw film still does gangbusters opening weekend. Most studios try to avoid releasing genre product the same weekend.

That doesn't make sense to me and is what killed Trick r Treats' release. If you release it end of Sept., you still have almost a month to make money before Saw hits. Probably a better chance of making cash then releasing a movie titled Halloween in August! Is anyone besides me thinking about Halloween now!? That and they were stupid enough to face it off against a proven franchise that also happens to be in 3D which makes it that much more better.

baggio
09-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Won't be able to get to them, but will see at least one of them on dvd.

Workshed
09-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Ever since Dimension bought the rights to the franchise, there hasn't been a Halloween film released in theatres in October. The closest they got was with The Curse of Michael Myers, which came out the last weekend in September.

The Curse of Michael Myers - September 29, 2005
H20: 20 Years Later - August 5, 1998
Resurrection - July 12, 2002
Halloween (2007) - August 31, 2007

Oh yeah, Saw. That month isn't big enough for the two of 'em? Odd that there hasn't been one released in October for quite a while.

bloodthrill
09-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Saw both Halloween 2 and THE Final Destination within a space of two days,(helps to have a wife who looks as forward to these kinds of flicks as you do)...without dissecting each camera angle and rampant mis-step,(for example how Loomis' skull was mashed into paste in the last installment)I will say both held my undivided attention.

Anyone can pick a flick to pieces,(especially a RZ flick),but it takes a real guru of grue to mire through the muck for the sparkle at the bottom.:evil:The former offered up protracted, juicy kills for everyone from a backwoods bumpkin to a saucy African-American nurse ,an inexplicably- Rastafarian Laurie Strode,and one of the creepiest old-school-style film scores to hit my ears.We also see RZ copy n' paste his wife from an old White Zombie vid onto the screen,(raccoon eyes and all),to insure a pay check for her in the month of September.Nothing too pressingly-deep,mind you.Just scads of moon-lit chaos,as the doctor ordered.

Final Destination didn't mine too deeply into new plot twist territory either,which was fine.The super-cool credits sequence kicked things off with a 3-D bang,(ie the gory destruction of a pretty and not-so-pretty cast ).By now,everyone knows that "the accident" of the film revolves around a racecar track crash,(which even in the good ol' 3 dimensional wasn't so hot,when it comes down to it).Having the clairvoyant's(Bobby Campo,who does a nice job) friends actually believe him without ten "coincidental" eviscerations having to occur first was rather a welcome change.Most could adequately deliver a line,and portray emotion without flashing too many a capped tooth.Ultimately,I was slightly-underwhelmed by the shorter running time,and damned-if-ya-do sorta kills,but it was worth seeing,and will be added to the collection, come home release time.

Money well-spent for both,in my opinion.

Zillamon51
09-08-2009, 06:45 PM
My GF and I chose to see TFD on opening weekend. That's the kind of movie that should be seen w/ a large audience.

Saw Halloween II this weekend. We both enjoyed it a lot. Give it a chance, people!

Should I practice journalistic objectivity when writing about Rob Zombie?

Definitely yes. It just comes across as senseless whining now.