PDA

View Full Version : Midnight Movie (Blu-ray)

Katatonia
09-06-2009, 12:22 PM
The DVD discussion about this movie is here (http://horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=37832).

Even though the official release date of the Blu-ray for Midnight Movie is October 13th, you can grab it at Wal-Mart right now for $10.

After hearing the transfer and audio track were pretty superb, I picked it up.

The transfer looks quite nice in 1080p, a definite upgrade from the single-layered DVD. It's an MPEG-4 AVC "Progressive" encode. Details, contrast and colors are all well done.

The main audio track is lossless DTS HD Master Audio, and sounds extremely clear. Also included is an optional French DTS dub.

The DVD was "Unrated" but the Blu-ray is "Rated R". I checked the running times for the film on both the DVD and Blu-ray, and they're both exactly identical in length...nothing is missing. It must simply be a newly submitted rating with the MPAA.

All of the DVD's bonus features are included, except for the director's audio commentary. It's even listed on the back cover, but nowhere to be found on the disc. No clue why they left it off. But...there is an extra featurette with the director (titled "Additional Shooting") that is not included on the old DVD. The film's three trailers are 1080p, while everything else is 480i.

indiephantom
09-06-2009, 04:13 PM
I caught a bit of this film on cable and it looked okay. At least the concept was cool. If I do find this cheaply, I will pick it up. Didn't appear to be stocked at my local Wal-Mart.

Too bad about the commentary though.

AndresG
09-06-2009, 06:25 PM
I actually liked this movie but personally think a Blu-ray upgrade is not that necessary, I mean, the flick is just OK, not a masterpiece you need to own in Blu-ray format...

rxfiend
09-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Besides Midnight Movie, Walmart now has Evil Dead II and Halloween Blus for $10 as well!

blu
09-07-2009, 12:18 AM
I just watched this disc on Friday and was quite pleased with the quality. The movie itself starts off cheesy but gets a lot better once the killings start happening. Definitely worth the $10 at Walmart IMO.

unstoppable
09-18-2009, 04:33 AM
I picked this up and loved it. I was psyched it came out early since I was planning to pick it up with Killer Movie next month. For $10 you cant go wrong.

indiephantom
09-18-2009, 07:30 AM
Besides Midnight Movie, Walmart now has Evil Dead II and Halloween Blus for $10 as well!

nice. I'll have to see if the Canadian Wal-Marts are carrying these. Are you talking the original Halloween??

bigdaddyhorse
09-18-2009, 06:16 PM
Picked this up cheap and watched teh other night.
I thought it was a great flick when it got rolling. It did start leaving me hoping it wouldn't suck, as characters were introduced and I worried it would be too dumb. Then all the chartacters seemed to fall into place and the movie just got fun.

My first blind Blu buy, and I hope all the rest can be this good. The extras are about as week as possible, but the film is well worth $10 for the BD. I know I'll watch this again sometime, which is the best one can hope for when blind buying.

Bluenoser
09-18-2009, 06:32 PM
I actually really liked this movie... didn't think that I would. Still surprised it's getting Blu-ray treatment though.

Korngold
09-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Picked this up cheap and watched teh other night.
I thought it was a great flick when it got rolling. It did start leaving me hoping it wouldn't suck, as characters were introduced and I worried it would be too dumb. Then all the chartacters seemed to fall into place and the movie just got fun.

My first blind Blu buy, and I hope all the rest can be this good. The extras are about as week as possible, but the film is well worth $10 for the BD. I know I'll watch this again sometime, which is the best one can hope for when blind buying.

Funny you mention that because it has my first blind blu buy too. $10 bucks is damn cheap for blu-rays

Funktion
10-03-2009, 08:07 PM
Can anyone please check if the disc is region A locked, or region free?
I have this release pre-ordered, but since my BD player is Region B only I need to know if I shall keep my pre-order.

Katatonia
10-04-2009, 12:30 AM
Can anyone please check if the disc is region A locked, or region free?
I have this release pre-ordered, but since my BD player is Region B only I need to know if I shall keep my pre-order.

It says "A" on the back cover, but that could be wrong.

This review (http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2722/midnightmovie.html) says it is Region Locked. I don't know if I'd trust that review either though, as it states "Since the DVD release of 'Midnight Movie' was barebones" which isn't true. They also made a booboo and said the Trailers on the Blu-ray are presented in SD. Nope, they're in full 1080p. :eek2:

rxfiend
10-04-2009, 06:58 PM
nice. I'll have to see if the Canadian Wal-Marts are carrying these. Are you talking the original Halloween??

Yup, it's the original Halloween.