PDA

View Full Version : Gremlins Blu-ray

Cujo108
09-24-2009, 06:09 AM
So, apparently Target is advertising this as a store exclusive beginning this upcoming Tuesday. Has anyone heard anything about this? I prefer the sequel, but would definitely pick this up if it isn't a half-hearted release.

MorallySound
09-24-2009, 06:35 AM
From what I can find online, it is coming to Blu-ray with an official release date of October 13th. But maybe Target has a deal to release it early.

Cujo108
09-24-2009, 06:51 AM
^ Good to know. I could only find info on an upcoming UK release.

captain_brandon
09-24-2009, 06:55 AM
So, apparently Target is advertising this as a store exclusive beginning this upcoming Tuesday. Has anyone heard anything about this? I prefer the sequel, but would definitely pick this up if it isn't a half-hearted release.

Yeah, same here: For my money, the much better sequel is nearly twice as entertaining, quirky & cool and takes place in a much cooler locale. I just gave away my standard definition DVD of Gremlins 1, but I am holding onto my standard def DVD of Gremlins 2: The New Batch.

I'm REALLY hoping for a Blu-Ray release of it sometime next year if the Gremlins 1 BD sales well enough. It's probably one of my favorite sequels of all time, and I never understood why many never sit down and enjoyed it. Super fun & cool film. I might snatch up the Blu-Ray disc, if the reviews for it are good enough. I would really love both films to be bright and with better colors, but ya know, isn't that always the way?

Katatonia
09-24-2009, 07:26 AM
Gremlins Blu-ray?!? Yay! I'll definitely pick it up.

Now where the hell is The Goonies Blu-ray? I'm almost tempted to get the UK disc.

captain_brandon
09-24-2009, 07:49 AM

Now where the hell is The Goonies Blu-ray?

Whoa, The Goonies on Blu-Ray?! Warner Bros SO need's to get off they're ass and do a region-1 North American version PRONTO! Hell yes! :D :D :D

MorallySound
09-24-2009, 08:29 AM
Yeah, same here: For my money, the much better sequel is nearly twice as entertaining, quirky & cool and takes place in a much cooler locale. I just gave away my standard definition DVD of Gremlins 1, but I am holding onto my standard def DVD of Gremlins 2: The New Batch.

I'm REALLY hoping for a Blu-Ray release of it sometime next year if the Gremlins 1 BD sales well enough. It's probably one of my favorite sequels of all time, and I never understood why many never sit down and enjoyed it. Super fun & cool film. I might snatch up the Blu-Ray disc, if the reviews for it are good enough. I would really love both films to be bright and with better colors, but ya know, isn't that always the way?

Yup. Gremlins 2 is indeed better than the original. Easily my favorite sequel of all time.

captain_brandon
09-24-2009, 09:51 AM
Yup. Gremlins 2 is indeed better than the original. Easily my favorite sequel of all time.

Gotta say I agree, once again: The first film is a bit more dated in my opinion, actually, and more of just an okay "holiday" around that time-of-the-year genre picture. The sequel, somehow, was a much more grander and fun & funnier in overall scope, and had a lot of great suitable PG-ish icky FX gags and cameo's and breaking of the 4th wall moments.

It's just an oddly much more fun picture, isn't it? :D Gotta say I watch it on cable So much more growin' up, and I never got all of the hate some level towards it. It's just always been the superior film for me.

I'd say it rounds out my top five sequels of all time, which includes The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 and The Empire Strikes Back. It's definately right up there.

Cujo108
09-24-2009, 11:32 AM
Gremlins 2 is actually the first film that I ever saw twice in theaters. They satirize just about everything in this sequel, and I think it's a blast. Aside from being better than the first one, Phoebe Cates also looked even more amazing than she did before. Perhaps it was her hair style, perhaps it was the uniform, but wow. I loved the different variations on the gremlin design, not to mention all the mutant gremlins we get via the genetic research lab. Electro gremlin and spider Mohawk were my favorites (though one has to wonder just where the hell the former disappeared to in the end).

chrismac87
09-24-2009, 11:45 AM
I really am surprised for the love GREMLINS 2 is getting on here.

I've always loved both films but had that inkling of a thought that I loved the second one just a tad bit more...and if I ever dared to say it out loud in certain circles, I'd be stoned and thrashed upon until I admitted defeat. But alas, I am amongst friends here! lol.

Anyways, yeah I really love both films. I've always had a much better appreciation for the second one because it was the one I saw first of the two and even to this day, I still chuckle at a few scenes. I was stoked when Warner did their special edition DVD. I remember watching the deleted scenes and being just overly grossed out by the melting scene and how graphic it could've been. I'm glad that stuff was missing to be honest because it seemed like it was venturing way too much into the horror film category again, rather than the comedy it was aiming for.

I was not surprised when I found out the first GREMLINS film was going to be a horror film. Aside from a few laugh out loud moments, it really plays as a horror film better than an action/family/comedy as I believe Warner Bros made it sound.

Wasn't there some kind of uproar about this film because it looked like a holiday family film and when parents brought their kids to see it they were horrified by the what they saw on the silver screen? I seem to recall hearing that and that's why part 2 was so much more light hearted and goofy, to kind of make up for the misleading first film.

Either way, I consider both to be classics in their own right. I'd be glad to add them both to my Blu Ray collection any day!

spawningblue
09-24-2009, 05:36 PM

Now where the hell is The Goonies Blu-ray? I'm almost tempted to get the UK disc.

Whoa, The Goonies on Blu-Ray?! Warner Bros SO need's to get off they're ass and do a region-1 North American version PRONTO! Hell yes! :D :D :D

I believe Goonies was supposed to come out around this time but was delayed until next year.

spawningblue
09-24-2009, 05:51 PM
From what I can find online, it is coming to Blu-ray with an official release date of October 13th. But maybe Target has a deal to release it early.

I can't find any info on this!? It's not even on DVD Aficionado yet.

MorallySound
09-24-2009, 05:56 PM
I can't find any info on this!? It's not even on DVD Aficionado yet.

http://www.amazon.ca/Gremlins-Blu-ray/dp/B002MD2Z1U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1253807730&sr=8-1

Slug
09-24-2009, 07:00 PM
HDNET Movies has been showing part 2 for a few weeks now.

Marv Inc.
09-24-2009, 07:33 PM
The Uk Blu of the Goonies is Region free, so its a no brainer to pick it up.

fceurich39
09-24-2009, 08:05 PM
i prefer gremlins 2 over the first gremlins movie

captain_brandon
09-25-2009, 08:17 AM
I believe Goonies was supposed to come out around this time but was delayed until next year.

Big thanks spawning, my good man! Ah well, this year is almost over, and so I can wait. The Goonies in full HD on Blu-Ray disc is gonna be beyond awesome.

Grim
09-25-2009, 08:40 AM
Wasn't there some kind of uproar about this film because it looked like a holiday family film and when parents brought their kids to see it they were horrified by the what they saw on the silver screen? I seem to recall hearing that and that's why part 2 was so much more light hearted and goofy, to kind of make up for the misleading first film.

The reaction to this and Temple of Doom basically forced the MPAA to create the PG-13. Parents took their kids to see these movies and weren't expecting to see old women being shot through the roof and hearts being ripped out of men who are subsequently burned alive. I don't get how Temple of Doom would even pass for a PG-13. The way I've always seen it, if you show a man getting his heart ripped out, then that's an R-rated movie. Oh, Spielberg, you have your ways.

As for why the second film was more lighthearted, that was a stylistic choice of Joe Dante. He basically said that he would only do the sequel if he was allowed to lampoon the first film as well as the industry in general.

fceurich39
09-25-2009, 05:29 PM
here is some info about gremlins blu-ray it should be in sunday's ad
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3463

Grim
09-25-2009, 05:34 PM
I'm just going to wait until its official release. It'll probably be cheaper on amazon.

spawningblue
09-25-2009, 07:07 PM
Well it looks like Goonies along with Gone with the Wind may possibly be Target's next exclusives.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3471

Damn I want Goonies but Target isn't in Canada and I have a feeling these will be selling for more then they're worth on eBay. I think I can hold out for the actual release in a few months time. That and I wonder if these will be extra less rush outs like Canada's Alliance Blu Ray releases.

meljon
09-25-2009, 09:57 PM
I'm definitely going to get Gremlins. I saw it in the theater and have loved it since then. I have to disagree with you guys, Gremlins 2 didn't do anything for me. It's a lot like Ghostbusters 2, it's too kiddy, which takes away from the original, in my opinion.I know that's what they were trying for, but that's just not my taste. I've thought so since I saw them when was I a kid.

budbud
09-25-2009, 10:15 PM
Goonies may be a Target exclusive first week in October

Katatonia
09-26-2009, 01:42 AM
Well it looks like Goonies along with Gone with the Wind may possibly be Target's next exclusives.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3471

Damn I want Goonies but Target isn't in Canada and I have a feeling these will be selling for more then they're worth on eBay. I think I can hold out for the actual release in a few months time. That and I wonder if these will be extra less rush outs like Canada's Alliance Blu Ray releases.

Sweet! As long as these actually include the bonus features, then perhaps I can forego ordering the UK Blu-ray of The Goonies.

Katatonia
09-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Details about the Gremlins Blu-ray: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3481

Video will be 1.78:1 1080p, accompanied by a Dolby TrueHD audio track.

Special features include:

Over 10 minutes of additional scenes
Making-of featurette
Commentaries:

Director Joe Dante, Zack Galligan, Phoebe Cates, Dick Miller and Howie Mandell
Director Joe Dante, producer Michael Finnell and special effects artist Christ Walas

Photo/storyboard gallery
Theatrical trailer

Apparently the same features as the old Special Edition DVD.

Marv Inc.
09-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Anyone got it yet then?

jstell
09-29-2009, 08:17 PM
Yes - got it at Target this morning for $22.99. The only difference in the specs from post #25 is that the aspect ratio is 1.85 (according to the back of the case).

chrismac87
09-29-2009, 08:26 PM
I grabbed it myself. I was surprised to see they only had a few copies left, the girl behind the counter told me they had 15 copies this morning.

We all know it's a great film so I'm sure everyone's interested in the transfer itself which is pretty damn good. It's a bit on the grainy side but overall, it's definitely an improvement over the DVD, if you're a fan of the film and own a Blu Ray player - this is a no brainer, pick this one up.

Katatonia
09-30-2009, 01:03 AM
Yes - got it at Target this morning for $22.99. The only difference in the specs from post #25 is that the aspect ratio is 1.85 (according to the back of the case).

I picked one up at Target earlier, but haven't had a chance to test it out yet.

Warner often states the wrong aspect ratio (and audio, etc.) on the back covers, so I wouldn't doubt if it's actually 1.78:1.

CaptHowdy
09-30-2009, 08:30 AM
Picked this one up today, but haven't had a chance to watch the whole thing yet. So far I was underwhelmed by the picture quality.

captain_brandon
09-30-2009, 08:45 AM
Picked this one up today, but haven't had a chance to watch the whole thing yet. So far I was underwhelmed by the picture quality.

Really? I'll probably end up picking it up, no doubt, but not anytime soon.

I'm really wanting my Blu-Ray collection to grow, however, but only for titles that I truely want, and that does my fine TV set and Blu home theater set up justice, as of late.

I've noticed that a lot of my favorite older '70s & '80s titles tend to be a bit more grainy, however, we should all remind ourselves that 35mm film like all things in life, ages, and is however not always perfect. Besides that whole time period of film, the '70s and first querter of the '80s, tended to have an unusual higher amount of grain in the film stock then older generations, so often times, it can only be re-mastered so much.

I'll probably hold out for the release of the second film, or the inevitable breif period of time that a Blu-Ray two-pack will be release by Warner.

Katatonia
09-30-2009, 11:39 AM
The transfer looks pretty good and is an upgrade from the old DVD, but it's not jaw dropping in HD. There's definitely film grain present, but thankfully I didn't notice any DNR tinkering. The lossless audio track sounded really nice.

I did notice that the deleted scenes are Progressive flagged (though still non-anamorphic) on the Blu-ray, and the "jaggies" are absent that appear on the old DVD which presented those scenes Interlaced.