PDA

View Full Version : Tell us what to ask Tibor!

rhett
10-06-2009, 06:49 AM
Later on this month we'll be interviewing the director of THE GATE, I MADMAN, THE GATE II and the awesomely titled MANSQUITO, Tibor Takacs, and we want you to tell us the kinds of things to ask him. He's had a seasoned career in horror, so let's pay the man some respect with some good questions. What should we ask him? Make your suggestions in this thread and we'll find out later how many he decides to answer.

Katatonia
10-06-2009, 07:08 AM
I'll only receive The Gate S.E. DVD tomorrow, but these are several questions of mine if they're not already answered in those special features:

1.) What's up with the original cast members of The Gate these days, and does he ever still see any of them?

2.) Is he surprised that The Gate still lives on 20+ years later and has its fans?

3.) Will there ever be a Gate III?

KamuiX
10-06-2009, 07:51 AM
Just one I can think of, considering I'm a fan of the look of the film:

~ Were you influenced by pulp/noir films when deciding upon the visual style of I, Madman? If so, who or what were your biggest influences?

captain_brandon
10-06-2009, 08:04 AM
On the I, Madman set, what was it like working with obscure and now rarely seen talented actress Jenny Wright (of Near Dark and Pink Floyd's The Wall fame), and do you still keep in contact with her or the screen writer (who also wrote what me and many others feel is the dark & underrated A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge) as well? I have tried to find out more about her, and I would really love to know more about what it was like working on a project with her.

Looking over it, how do you feel The Gate holds up? As well as do you feel the same way about The Gate 2?

Being Hungarian, what was it like when you first came over here to North American shores, and started production(s) on your first English language speaking, Anglophonic movies?

Do you plan to show support of the new special edition DVD (and hopefully Blu-Ray in the future, may we ask for with a grin & some hope?) of The Gate with any genre film conventions here in North America? And if so, when & where with schedualed apperances'?

What truely inspired you to go after learning more about the 35mm film making process and to aspire to make it a career? Was it a life-long goal & career asperation, or did you simply fall into it through various other 35mm film ways, such as editing and assistant directing or working on European television, ect?

Looking back over your filmography, when films of your's do you think hold up best and why, and what moments both in the films' themselves, as well as making them, are your own personal favorites?

Nailwraps
10-06-2009, 03:23 PM
I have some questions for Mr. Tibor.:

1. Will we be seeing a special editions of The Gate II and I, Madman in the near future?

2. Did you have any plans to continue the Gate series after II?

3. What are your thoughts on the remake?

4. How do you reflect on The Gate after al lthese years?

5. What's next for you?

dave13
10-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Alright Tibor, I've got a question thats been burning me up inside for almost 2 decades:

One of my best friend's uncles worked construction on The Gate II. It was the only film he worked on, and he was the only person I'd ever met who'd helped make a movie. I watched those fucking credits all the way through to the end, squinting at a shitty little 13 inch tv while the rental tape jerked along in a 2-head vcr. And do you know what happened? They fucking spelled his name wrong! You owe (uncle) Bob Coulas, but more importantly ME, an explanation and appology! My question is, what do you think of that? huh? HUH?!?:fire::mad:

...umm....yeah....loved The Gate, btw.:D

hellraiser40
10-06-2009, 06:37 PM
comparing your older horror movies (The Gate I/II and I, Madman) and your newer ones (Mansquito, Ice Spiders), what are the main differences in approach to the material?

is there a possibility of returning to non-TV horror movies?

Erick H.
10-06-2009, 08:25 PM
The DVD of I.MADMAN is presented full frame,what was your intended aspect ratio for that film ?
I thought H.P. Lovecraft might have been an influence on THE GATE and I,MADMAN,did his work influence you at all ?

Ptflea2
10-06-2009, 08:34 PM
How did you get into the movie making business?

KappaMoth
10-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Is there a trade off between artistic vision and corporate support when you direct films for Syfy?

Mattapooh
10-06-2009, 11:40 PM
Is it hard to take the brunt of Homer's screw-ups at work?

"Now Marge, just remember, if something goes wrong at the plant, blame the guy who can't speak English. Ah, Tibor, how many times have you saved my butt?"

BlackAndBlu81
10-07-2009, 12:19 AM
Hi,Tibor

I read somewhere that Louis Tripp went to prison. Is this true,or was it a case of mistaken identity?

old-boo-radley
10-08-2009, 03:52 AM
Can you say your own name five times fast?

Spitfire
10-08-2009, 03:58 AM
01. What directors did he grow up watching and what does he feel about the horror genre as of today?

hegemon13
10-09-2009, 10:07 PM
I have a couple questions:

1. Are there plans for a special edition DVD of I, Madman? It may not have the name recognition of The Gate, but I think I like it even better, which is significant given my nostalgic connection to The Gate.

2. You have proven yourself to be a master of practical and stop-motion effects, or at least of finding the right people to bring out your vision that way. Are there any plans on the horizon for a new, non-SyFy movie? Especially one where you can show off such effects? Practical effects are sorely lacking in Hollywood today.

3. How have your experiences been working with SyFy? It would seem like they would be pretty controlling, tight-deadline, low-budget bosses. However, directors who work with them seem to come back over and over, which leads me to believe that maybe they're not so bad. (Must say, Mansquito is one of the better movie-of-the-weeks that SyFy has aired. Not on par with your early stuff, but I'm guessing that the budget and timeframe has a lot to do with that.)

captain_brandon
10-09-2009, 10:53 PM
I have a couple questions:

1. Are there plans for a special edition DVD of I, Madman? It may not have the name recognition of The Gate, but I think I like it even better, which is significant given my nostalgic connection to The Gate.

2. You have proven yourself to be a master of practical and stop-motion effects, or at least of finding the right people to bring out your vision that way. Are there any plans on the horizon for a new, non-SyFy movie? Especially one where you can show off such effects? Practical effects are sorely lacking in Hollywood today.

3. How have your experiences been working with SyFy? It would seem like they would be pretty controlling, tight-deadline, low-budget bosses. However, directors who work with them seem to come back over and over, which leads me to believe that maybe they're not so bad. (Must say, Mansquito is one of the better movie-of-the-weeks that SyFy has aired. Not on par with your early stuff, but I'm guessing that the budget and timeframe has a lot to do with that.)

All three questions are great ones you asked, Hegemon. Especially the first concerning a special edition (hopefully Blu-Ray now since standard def is being phased out slowly) of the underrated I, Madman. I always loved that film.