PDA

View Full Version : Contest #2: BAD DAD Blowout

rhett
10-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Just in time for the remake, Shout! Factory is finally releasing the original THE STEPFATHER onto Region 1 DVD, and we've got five copies to give away as the second contest in our OCTOBER MADNESS. All you have to do is tell us what your favorite domestic horror film is, and why.
http://www.horrordigital.com/reviews/contests/dvdcon.jpg

Just in time for the remake, Shout! Factory is finally releasing the original THE STEPFATHER onto Region 1 DVD, and we've got five copies to give away as the second contest in our OCTOBER MADNESS. All you have to do is tell us what is your favorite domestic horror film, and why.

What is domestic horror? It's that genre that thrived in the late eighties on the success of THE STEPFATHER, FATAL ATTRACTION, POISON IVY, BASIC INSTINCT, THE GOOD SON et al., and one that continues to thrive into the new decade with films like WHAT LIES BENEATH, CACHE, DOMESTIC DISTURBANCE and DISTURBIA. It's a genre where families or individuals are tormented behind the normalcy of white picket fences and good old fashioned American values.

http://horrordigital.com/vb3forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5373&stc=1&d=1254929531

Tell us your favorite domestic horror film and win one of five DVDs of THE STEPFATHER. Contest ends on street date, Tuesday, October 13th. Winners will be randomly selected.

Please make a single post in this thread telling us what your favorite domestic horror film is and why. Good luck!

Mutilated Prey
10-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Microwave Massacre - just kidding.

Amityville Horror for me - old school classic domestic disturbance right there, no? One of the creepier flicks out there ever.

Hellbilly
10-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Inside for me.

HAEMORRHAGE
10-07-2009, 06:29 PM
I'm going to go with Killing Spree. Yeah, it's cheesy and it's low budget but man is it fun. It takes place in the most stereotypical of suburbs and has all the characters a suburban home has: annoying neighbor, delivery man, electrician, TV repair guy, landscaper, and they all get killed. It's not a great movie but it is loads of fun.

hellraiser40
10-07-2009, 06:39 PM
i'm picking Cache

fattyjoe37
10-07-2009, 06:56 PM
The original Stepfather for me

captain_brandon
10-07-2009, 07:00 PM
Very interesting questions.

Oddly enough, like the post right above me, I am choosing Michael Haneke's Cache (Hidden).

It's taunt, well made, and has one of the best endings of a genre film in the last ten years. It really is a shame Mr. Haneke has bored me ever since with the original Funny Games and it's pointless English language remake (from himself of all people).

And that final shot is AMAZING. Many don't realize, but you have to keep watching it, as it contains several clues as well as adding many answers, onto the final half of the film.

indiephantom
10-07-2009, 07:05 PM
I would say The Dentist counts here. Corbin Bernsen played a deeply troubled dude who snaps because of his wife's infidelity. It's Brian Yuzna's funniest and smartest film. I'll give runne-up props to The Stepfather and Pacific Heights which I watched again recently and it's held up quite nicely.

addicted2dvd
10-07-2009, 07:12 PM
Has to be The Amityville Horror for me as well. Just a great classic ghost story where one of the family members is effected by the entity. I thought it was well done... I even enjoyed the remake! :p

Body Boy
10-07-2009, 07:19 PM
I am choosing The Entity today, because it is so creepy with its subtle (though at times agressive) poltergeist agenda. People looking in to the family think that it is just a regular family with a mother who is seeing/hearing things. All in her mind. But in actuality, something is there. Raping her. Hurting her family. :(

Ash28M
10-07-2009, 07:32 PM
If Inside is counts as domestic then that's my pick. A visceral, relentless, gut wrenching film.

zompirejoe
10-07-2009, 07:34 PM
For this genre I am going to have to pick The Stepfather. It's just a great suspenseful thriller, with some nice scenes of the ultra violence thrown in. You never know when this guy is going to go off, and when he does it is shocking. I love part 2 as well, but this one is still tops !

Kodiac Jack
10-07-2009, 07:50 PM
Definitely The Stepfather. Terry O'Quinn is a freakig god in this role. It also helps to include Jill Schoelen because I have a massive crush on her. I like 2 and 3(call me crazy) but you can't match up to this classic FINALLY hitting DVD.

baggio
10-07-2009, 08:01 PM
I will pick The Good Son.

I really enjoyed Macaulay Culkin's turn as a evil little kid from the lovable Home Alone series. Actually this was his last film worth watching. Meanwhile Elijah Wood career skyrocketed.

SpaceAce
10-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Blackout.

An 80's movie I saw on VHS and cable. He wore that black leather mask and when they found it in the closet was just creepy. It might not hold up as well today but I have very fond memories of that movie.

bigdaddyhorse
10-07-2009, 08:38 PM
Flowers in the Attic....

just kidding.

I'm leaning toward either Amityville or Disturbia (I know, save it, I liked it).

Amityville was among the first I saw and still a favorite, unless The Shining counts. I know it's not at home, but if that counts then The Shining would get my vote.

KappaMoth
10-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Amity,

although I do have a soft spot for the scene in Poltergeist II where Craig Nelson goes all crazy after drinking the possessed tequila worm.

CrazyFatEthel
10-07-2009, 10:29 PM
Does REC count? If not, then I'd choose Fatal Attraction.

Katatonia
10-07-2009, 10:33 PM
Favorite domestic film? Probably Stepfather II actually. I love the original a great deal, but there's also something about the sequel that I really love. The music score is superb, the characters are edgy, the atmosphere of the film has a modern feel, yet a melancholic loneliness to it.

dave13
10-07-2009, 10:57 PM
this is tough, because i honestly don't think its a particularly great subgenre. or maybe its just too narrow. i wouldn't consider anything supernatural to be domestic horror, and stuff like basic instinct or fatal attraction are great movies, but not actually horror movies, IMO. I haven't actually seen The Stepfather yet (hey, maybe i'll win and then i can finally see it!), so I'll go with The Stepfather 2. It was fun, and Terry O'Quinn is always great.

BloodMan
10-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Misery - you feel just as helpless as poor ol Paul Sheldon. Annie Wilkes is one of the bonkerest of bonkery "normal looking" people too. :)

spawningblue
10-07-2009, 11:21 PM
Have to go with The Strangers with Inside close behind.

17thJuggalo
10-07-2009, 11:25 PM
For me, I'll have to go with Martin.

For what may seem like a vampire flick from the outside is definitely a domestic horror film in my opinion. The setting of a decaying American city, a religious (although a bit overly religious) family, and a seemingly nice young man is turned on it's head. I think that the poster art of the film is very telling as Martin "could be the boy next door".

This somber, sad tale of a "vampire" in a working town hits home with me due to the fact that it was filmed in my city.

streetlight
10-07-2009, 11:25 PM
not really that modern but I really enjoyed the 1985 made for tv Brotherly Love with Judd Hirsch playing twins, one good, one evil. It was quite sinister in that made for TV kind of way and the cinematography was cool

bwana the clown
10-08-2009, 12:07 AM
For the second competition in a row, I need to vote for The Brood! To me, it represents not only the very real domestic horror of parental separation and suspected child abuse, but also the less common domestic horror of sac-born rage babies.

Harry Warden
10-08-2009, 12:41 AM
I have to go with Fatal Attraction. Poor Glenn Close was robbed of an Oscar as far as I'm concerned. The acting in this film is outstanding and it's chilling to this day. It's my favorite because it's the type of thing that could happen to damn near anyone. A one night stand that you end up paying for all of your life. Good stuff!!

gyhorrorfan07
10-08-2009, 12:41 AM
There's a lot of good choices in the subgenre, but I have only seen a few. I'll go with The Stepfather. A guy that goes nuts over trying to have a perfect family is crazy to me. Despite liking the sequel a little more, I enjoy the original and plan on watching it soon as part of my horror marathon this month.

othervoice1
10-08-2009, 12:47 AM
Hmmmm- Does "The Shining" count? I would pick that but not sure if it fits in this category or not. If not I will go with the original "The Stepfather"

X-human
10-08-2009, 12:56 AM
Eraserhead, which was adapted into The Shinning and The Brood. Think about it. ;)

old-boo-radley
10-08-2009, 01:18 AM
Let's say... The Good Son. Culkin mang.

Shannafey
10-08-2009, 01:32 AM
I loved Disturbia! Great re-telling of Rear Window and Shiah Labour (SP?) did a great job!

mrcafejava
10-08-2009, 01:48 AM
Living and the Dead 2006
One of the most disturbing and atmospheric movies I've ever seen
Love it!

Goregasm
10-08-2009, 01:50 AM
Well if we're following that rather narrow definition of what domestic horror is, then I would have to go with STEPFATHER.
I mean, what DVD are we trying to obtain here by replying to this thread?!
I really hope they don't butcher the new one.
I'm already kinda pissed that it's PG-13.

Copyboy
10-08-2009, 02:10 AM
For domestic horror I have to go with WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE? Bette Davis manages to be hilarious, disturbing and tragically sad all at the same time.

dayglo
10-08-2009, 02:13 AM
Original Amityville for me, it just has a creepy feel and the family breaking down in the middle of it all always got to me.

shithead
10-08-2009, 02:17 AM
The Stepfather of course.

zombiecraig
10-08-2009, 02:55 AM
I'm going to go with Pin.

That one used to really creep me out.

Brother Justin
10-08-2009, 03:06 AM
Other than The Stepfather, I've gonna have to say Blue Velvet. It may not be 100% horror per say, but it is one of the best examples of the seedy underbelly lurking under a pristine exterior. Plus it was a forerunner to one of the best horror/thriller/mystery shows of all time, Twin Peaks.

Zack
10-08-2009, 04:05 AM
I hate to admit it but I have a soft spot for The Babysitter with Alicia Silverstone.

Mitbox
10-08-2009, 04:19 AM
Does Rosemary's Baby counts? There are no picket fences, it's from the 70's, but most of the action goes in the apartment and relates to all domestic. If that one is not valid, then I go with the stepfather, love it.

HellRazor
10-08-2009, 04:25 AM
Poison Ivy: The New Seduction.

Because Jaime Pressly in full dominatrix mode is hot.

Zombie Dude
10-08-2009, 05:46 AM
Dressed to Kill if that counts. Never thought much of it until I actually decided to watch it. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

warmapplecider
10-08-2009, 05:47 AM
My favorite is Bob Balaban's PARENTS--creepy and funny, with the most off-putting shots of meatloaf ever put to screen!

vampyr789
10-08-2009, 06:01 AM
What ever Happened to baby Jane!! i freaking love that movie. Great performances, its really funny at times "Oh really did she like it?" HAHA

AndresG
10-08-2009, 06:01 AM
I think I have to go with Pin, love the psychological, creepy and oddly atmosphere that finally leads to madness and murder!.

satans-sadists
10-08-2009, 06:08 AM
My vote is for The Shining. I find the character transformation of Jack Torrance more disturbing than the haunted hotel the family resides in for the snowy season. I've watched this more than any other horror film ever made.

MisterTwister
10-08-2009, 06:22 AM
Them (ILS) Creepy as hell.

allmessedup
10-08-2009, 06:36 AM
THE BAD SEED. Very daring for its time.

Erick H.
10-08-2009, 07:05 AM
I'll go with the original THE STEPFATHER.It's a great low budget sleeper with a career making role for Terry O'Quinn.The supporting cast is excellent as well and the direction is right on target.An oft overlooked gem that has slowly built a loyal following.So happy that it's finally hitting American DVD.

MorallySound
10-08-2009, 08:54 AM
The Brood. Domestic violence and child abuse taking the form of demented child-like killer dwarfs!

ekent
10-08-2009, 01:21 PM
The Shining - the perfect combination of terror in the family, coupled with hauntings and isolation.

Cujo108
10-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Blackout (1985). A great psychological character study.

marcx
10-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Gotta be thte Shining for me--still one of the scariest films of all time...

Although I think the Omen fits here as well for a good runner up...

dapigg
10-08-2009, 04:17 PM
One old - The Shining and one relatively new - The Strangers. Both had some really creepy scenes that I cannot get out of my head.

Vincent Pina
10-08-2009, 05:20 PM
The idea I am getting from Rhett about domestic horror is more in the vein of thriller or psychological terror. But, What Lies Beneath has some supernatural element to it, so I'm not entirely sure. I'm gonna stick with the white picket fences and no ghosts...I liked The Hand That Rocks the Cradle. If I had Annabella Sciorria as a wife, a cute kid, a beautiful house and career, AND Rebecca Demornay as a nanny, I'd be fucked. She can fix me a sandwich in her nighty anytime.

NaturesMistake
10-08-2009, 06:04 PM
What I almost picked:
Parents
Good Son
Stepfather
A Nightmare on Elmstreet (This fits the description to a T)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers

What I picked: Society, and I'm shocked no one else did. All time best domestic horror.

msw7
10-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Frailty.

I would have said no other comes close for me, but then I was reminded of Inside, which is a very close second. Maybe there are others, but Frailty is a personal favorite.

Suicide
10-09-2009, 12:27 AM
Someone already said it, but I'd say Parents if that counts. Randy Quaid is actually pretty frightening in this, cannibal or not. Plus, it has two of my favorite scenes ever. The dream sequence with blood pouring from the refrigerator and the arm coming out of the garbage disposal, and the shot that starts with Sandy Dennis screaming and ends outside of the house with Dad pulling into the driveway are both brilliant.

_pi_
10-09-2009, 12:36 AM
Poltergeist, I guess, for me. If it fits the criteria (which I'm not sure it does ...)

If Poltergeist won't do, then I'll just say Basic Instinct because rhett already mentioned it above. Don't think I'd call Basic Instinct domestic horror either, though .. :/ Bah, rhett's word is truth! :)

Son of Moseley
10-09-2009, 01:53 AM
Best domestic horror? The Shining's Jack Torrance's relationship with Danny is SO CREEPY! One of the reasons that movie gets scarier on repeat viewings is knowing right from the beginning (hey, like THE STEPFATHER!) that this Dad is gonna flip out ultimately, and everything else he does is just holding back. "I would NEVER hurt you, Danny. NEVER." :cry:

Lone Wolf
10-09-2009, 03:15 AM
The Shining gets my vote.

WhatTHEhell19
10-09-2009, 09:05 AM
A Nightmare on Elm Street gets my vote! The Stepfather is a close second thoough.

rxfiend
10-09-2009, 09:17 AM
Amityville Horror (original)

highclassrob
10-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Favorite domestic horror? Would Blue Velvet count for this? Thats a seriously f'ed up domestic situation.

Mattapooh
10-09-2009, 07:42 PM
What about that scene in Pet Sematary with the crazy sick aunt? THAT was scary.

If not... I dunno, I love O'Quinn in The Stepfather and I think that's a really good setup for a horror flick.

Caspar2112
10-09-2009, 10:49 PM
CACHE is excellent, FUNNY GAMES(Original) is a scary film and the US remake is disturbing too. I have always thought that BULLY by Larry Clark was so creepy and disturbing; one of those films that make you want to shower afterwards. The entire Suburban Condemnation and lazy lives that lead to this sort of attrocity in a brilliantly quiet, sleazy pic.

moogong
10-09-2009, 11:56 PM
Poltergeist. I have loved that movie since the first time I saw it as a child. It was a very simple well crafted ghost story. Even today I watch it and can see why it scared me as a kid.

Cosmo
10-10-2009, 01:55 AM
I like What Lies Beneath, myself. I haven't seen it in years, but I remember really liking Michelle Pfeiffer's performance in it.

Zillamon51
10-10-2009, 05:01 AM
The most balls-out fun horror movie I've seen in a theater this year, and possibly in several years, is Orphan. The family is well-developed and excellently portrayed by the actors, and into that domestic setting comes the most adorable bad-ass little bitch ever put on film. Little Ester may be cute, but the carnage she causes puts Damien and all other killer kids to shame.

Runners-up would be the first two Stepfather flicks.

maybrick
10-10-2009, 05:21 AM
I hate them all. I can't think of a single film in this sub genre of horror films that I can stand. Why? I don't know. Why do I develop a hemorrhoid every Christmas? But nevertheless, I'll gladly take The Stepfather off your hands if the lords of chaos sees fit to award me a DVD in this game of chance. Who knows, I may wind up liking it enough to keep.

Spit
10-10-2009, 05:26 AM
I'll go with the Good Son, because I recently got another cat...making two cats in the house, and I think they kind of have a Macaulay vs. Elijah thing going on.

chancetx
10-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Lots of good choices here. I'd have to go with the 1979 no-budgeter "The Attic" - domestic horror is the perfect description for this oddball dramatic thriller. Ray Milland's evil, controlling father in this movie is far more terrifying than anything Terry O'Quinn could do as the slasher stepfather. And Carrie Snodgress' masturbation scene is the most disturbing thing you will ever see in any horror movie ever. :eek1:

Plus, there's a monkey in it.

Ptflea2
10-10-2009, 10:31 PM
The Stepfather, good flick!

Queen B
10-11-2009, 06:49 PM
CUJO. Watching the lovable family pet slowly transform into a ravenous, blood-starved monster is downright terrifying.

mcchrist
10-11-2009, 09:36 PM
The Baby! It's so damned off-the-wall nuts, I love it.

BroodingHope
10-12-2009, 01:36 AM
Hands down my pick would have to be Scorsese's Cape Fear. I have never seen an actor give as frightening performance as DeNiro did in this film. Simply amazing.

Egg_Shen
10-12-2009, 01:55 AM
Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me is the first film to pop into my head. Ray Wise’s performance definitely rivals that of Terry O’Quinn’s for most disturbed “daddy”.

Tchotchke
10-12-2009, 02:57 AM
Stepfather for me too. Haven't seen it for a long time, but I remember finding it bleak and then moving into some genuinely hilarious humour.

KamuiX
10-12-2009, 08:00 AM
Combat Shock...sure, it's not horror, but it's terrifying and disturbing as hell, and it's more horrific than any film I've seen mentioned.

takingchase
10-12-2009, 08:42 PM
The Stepfather easily. Terry O'Quinn is just flat out awesome in whatever he does.

Darga
10-13-2009, 07:08 AM
The Dentist is pretty awesome, but I'll stick with the original Stepfather. "Wait a minute, who am I here?" I can't wait to finally see this on DVD.

eric_angelus
10-13-2009, 01:31 PM
I would have to go with The Stepfather. Well done and understated.

rhett
10-13-2009, 11:34 PM
The contest is now over. Random.org tells me these five people will be welcoming a new member to their DVD family:

X-human
BroodingHope
warmapplecider
Kodiak Jack (again!)
baggio

Send me a message with your name and contact information and I'll get your DVDs of THE STEPFATHER out once they arrive here.

Contest #3 is starting up now!

gyhorrorfan07
10-13-2009, 11:44 PM
Congrats to the winners. I'm fired up for the next contest.

Hellbilly
10-13-2009, 11:48 PM
Congrats!

satans-sadists
10-13-2009, 11:55 PM
Congratulations on winning a great dvd!

spawningblue
10-14-2009, 12:06 AM
ConGrats guys!

hellraiser40
10-14-2009, 12:27 AM
damned, i didn't win!

with which i want to say : congratulations to the winners :D

Harry Warden
10-14-2009, 12:36 AM
Congrats to all!

othervoice1
10-14-2009, 12:49 AM
Congrats!!!

Copyboy
10-14-2009, 12:54 AM
Congratulations all!

HAEMORRHAGE
10-14-2009, 01:06 AM
Sucks, was hoping I'd get me a copy of The Stepfather!

Oh well, Congrats to those who won.

captain_brandon
10-14-2009, 01:35 AM
The contest is now over. Random.org tells me these five people will be welcoming a new member to their DVD family:

X-human
BroodingHope
warmapplecider
Kodiak Jack (again!)
baggio

Send me a message with your name and contact information and I'll get your DVDs of THE STEPFATHER out once they arrive here.

Contest #3 is starting up now!

Dammit, I didn't win it again. Ah well, a new contest started today just moments ago. And I'm home with some Sbarro pizza slices and Battle Royale: Director's Cut playin' on my theater system, so I'm a happy lad. ;)

CONGRATS TO ALL!!! :D

BroodingHope
10-14-2009, 05:26 AM
Awesome! This just made my day!

baggio
10-14-2009, 04:00 PM
Very cool. Congrats to the other winners.

Kodiac Jack
10-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Congradulations winners!

bottleservice23
10-15-2009, 05:49 AM
Poison Ivy 3.

Why - a pre-fame Jamie Pressly.

Workshed
10-15-2009, 06:01 AM
congrats. good to see long-timers in there.

X-human
10-16-2009, 11:11 PM
Sweet. Thanks and good luck to the rest of you on the rest of the contests.