PDA

View Full Version : Must Buy Blu-ray Horror! Part 1 - Child's Play

Spitfire
10-08-2009, 04:18 AM
Okay, I've bought a couple of horror Blu-rays to start of the month and will be picking up some more in the days to come. I'm going to make this thread about movies that are just "Must Buys".

So let's pick some movies and the one that gets the first 5 votes will be placed next to my choice.

So to start of I will make the first addition to a Blu-ray that you must absolutely buy.

Must-Buy: Child's Play - Blu-Ray

The image quality is really good, and is a marginal improvement over the 20th anniversary special edition. You'll notice that night shots, neon lights, fire, street lights, wide shots, and police lights really stand out with razor sharp resolution. Colors stand out the best! The image isn't a huge leap over the last disc but there is some pop to the image. There are times you'll notice you're watching 1080! This is the best you'll see chucky in his first movie appearance. Because this is a classic, adding it in high definition is something you should look into.

So if you haven't picked it up, I really suggest you look into adding it into your Blu-ray collection. If you've bought it, I'd love to read your comments on the disc. Image, sound. If you haven't, will you be buying it? And lastly select a movie you own on Blu-ray as a must have, the first movie with 5 votes will make the list.

Katatonia
10-08-2009, 07:42 AM
Yep, I have it...very nice in HD!

Poltergeist looks and sounds great on Blu-ray, so it gets my vote for the next one.

MorallySound
10-08-2009, 08:02 AM
House of 1000 Corpses
The Devil's Rejects
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)
Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter
Dawn of the Dead (original)
Day of the Dead
Halloween (original)
An American Werewolf in London
The Bird With the Crystal Plumage

All of these look stunning on Blu and are must-buys in my opinion.

Marv Inc.
10-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Child's Play cracking blu, got my copy Tuesday. Love the new menu's and the dts hd auidio is a huge improvement.

I might have a few by the end of the month.

horrorlover
10-08-2009, 09:48 PM
The Shining with Jack Nicholson, fantastic picture quality and a great movie.

othervoice1
10-09-2009, 12:10 AM
Let the Right One In

Harry Warden
10-09-2009, 01:02 AM
The Thing (1982)

It's me, Billy
10-09-2009, 01:41 AM
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)

Spitfire
10-09-2009, 05:30 AM
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original) leads with 2 votes. :evil::evil:

f.ramses
10-09-2009, 01:35 PM
The Shining
Night of the Werewolf/Vengeance of the Zombies double feature (good deal!)
[Rec]

crikan
10-09-2009, 02:13 PM
My vote is for "The Thing (1982)"

Does Child's Play really hold up. I loved that movie in 1988 but thinking back it seems like it would be really stupid now.

Hellbilly
10-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Another vote for The Thing (1982).

bigdaddyhorse
10-09-2009, 05:03 PM
The Thing was pretty fucking amazing in Blu, so another vote for that.
The Descent was also incredibly good on Blu, so a vote for that.
and a vote for The Shining. I don't own this yet, but after watching it from the library I was blown away at how good a film so old could look. I will own it soon.

Anthropophagus
10-09-2009, 05:10 PM
My vote is for "The Thing (1982)"

Does Child's Play really hold up. I loved that movie in 1988 but thinking back it seems like it would be really stupid now.

My sentiments exactly upon watching Child's Play recently.

spawningblue
10-09-2009, 05:25 PM
I'm going to vote for the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre just because it's a great movie, includes all the DVD extras, and the transfer and audio are good as well. The Thing is a great movie and has a great transfer, but they really need to re-release it with all the DVD extras, becasue of that, it's a not a perfect Blu Ray in my opinion.

Other great horror Blu Rays,

The Descent
Trick 'r Treat
The Shining
The Fly
An American Werewolf in London
Creepshow

It's me, Billy
10-09-2009, 05:33 PM
I'm surprised to see so many votes for The Thing (1982). Not that the film doesn't deserve it, the film is fucking awesome. But I remember a lot of negative reviews about the BD when it was released. Supposedly, the image suffers from a lot of DVNR (or DNR), the documentary was severely truncated, missing extras, etc. The general concensus was that the HD DVD was a much better release, which is why I still don't have the BD. (I've got the 2004 anamorphic DVD and the HD DVD.)

Marv Inc.
10-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Another vote for The Thing

The Euorpean Blu's of the Thing are better as they have the same extra's as the old dvd and the full documentary.

Conal Cochran
10-09-2009, 07:37 PM
The Thing is great in Blu-ray