PDA

View Full Version : Best Performance by a Child

rhett
10-10-2009, 11:13 PM
There have been a ton of killer kid movies, just as there have been a ton of horror movies with protagonist children as well. With THE GATE now on DVD, it's time to look back at all the standout performances over the years by children and pick the best. Looking back, there certainly are a lot to choose from!

CrazyFatEthel
10-10-2009, 11:34 PM
Danielle Harris, gotta give it to her, Im a big fan!!!

The Chaostar
10-10-2009, 11:37 PM
Anything else than the Shining seems absurd to me. Although the 6th Sense is a (not close) second.

Shlockjock81
10-10-2009, 11:55 PM
I had to go with Haley Joel Osment, but I do think Danielle Harris deserves a nod. She played a pretty convincing terrified kid. Linda Blair in The Exorcist is also a runner up.

The fact that Giovanni Frezza is up in that list is a TRAVESTY lol. Yes I know his voice was dubbed...poorly... but he still sucked.

Harry Warden
10-10-2009, 11:56 PM
Linda Blair - still to this day.

Katatonia
10-11-2009, 12:33 AM
Really, really tough choices there... but I went with Heather O'Rourke in POLTERGEIST

maybrick
10-11-2009, 01:05 AM
How about the kid in Trick 'r Treat that shouts "CHARLIE BROWN IS AN ASSHOLE!"? I'd pick him out of any of those other schmoes. :lol:

2D4EVER
10-11-2009, 01:43 AM
How about most fucked up kid? Has to be the weird little asshole from The Pit.

bigwes15
10-11-2009, 01:47 AM
I also went with Danielle Harris, although I think the girl that was in Orphan earlier this year also did an outstanding job.

promnight13
10-11-2009, 01:51 AM
I would definitely also add Isabelle Fuhrman from this year's ORPHAN to this list. The places this real-life 12 year-old had to go through in her role were very beyond here years. Surprised by the oversight.

Hatchetwarrior
10-11-2009, 01:52 AM
Linda Blair for me; Danny Lloyd running a very close second.

j tea
10-11-2009, 02:26 AM
i went with linda blair, but can peter bark get some love? i mean for real!

msw7
10-11-2009, 03:13 AM
Went with Linda Blair too - that was messed up!

_pi_
10-11-2009, 03:39 AM
I'm guessing Linda Blair will win this poll, and very deservedly so.

Since everyone is going to vote for her, I'm going to vote for Kristen Dunst who was also amazing in Interview with the Vampire, a pretty brilliant movie that often gets forgotten.

_pi_
10-11-2009, 03:42 AM
I would definitely also add Isabelle Fuhrman from this year's ORPHAN to this list. The places this real-life 12 year-old had to go through in her role were very beyond here years. Surprised by the oversight.

I second this! And I'd give my vote to hear in a heartbeat.

Isabelle Fuhrman was absolutely astonishing in Orphan.

Given the twist at the end, I was convinced that she was at least in her early twenties, and that she'd been made to look younger. I was shocked when I saw she was only 11 or 12 when the movie was made.

Definitely a brilliant performance, regardless of what you think of the film.

captain_brandon
10-11-2009, 04:06 AM
Danielle Harris, gotta give it to her, Im a big fan!!!

Same here. I also voted for her.

For my money, she edges out Feldmen from Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, as she was given much more screen time in Halloween 4 & 5, and she expressed a much wider range, oddly enough, for a child actress. I love both, but I choose Danielle for several reasons.

Ash28M
10-11-2009, 04:43 AM

She should definitely be up on that list. I may have even voted for her, she was that good.

vampyr789
10-11-2009, 05:10 AM
most definitely Heather O'Rourke (rip)

othervoice1
10-11-2009, 05:14 AM
I went with Kirsten Dunst in INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE - I thought here role alone helped save this movie.

dave13
10-11-2009, 06:05 AM
Danny Lloyd was absolutely phenomenal in the shining. just check out the documentary where scatman crothers talks about the kid - that is some serious professional respect, and he was, what, six years old at the time? linda blair was also excellent of course, but she had makeup, prosthetics, and crazy dialogue to help her out. danny's performance was practically silent. its all in his face and his eyes. just jaw dropping when you think about it.

Zillamon51
10-11-2009, 06:24 AM

I second this! And I'd give my vote to hear in a heartbeat.

Isabelle Fuhrman was absolutely astonishing in Orphan. ... Definitely a brilliant performance, regardless of what you think of the film.

Add another vote for Orphan. Little Ms. Fuhrman knocked it out of the park in a very fun and twisted flick.

If the lack of an "Other" option means I have to choose from the "official" list, I'd go with Corey Feldman from F13 4, with Danielle Harris in H4 a very close second.

Erick H.
10-11-2009, 06:35 AM
I'll also chime in with a nod for Isabelle Fuhrman from ORPHAN,she deserves a slot on this list.Of the ones nominated I guess I'd go wit Danny Lloyd from THE SHINING.

rhett
10-11-2009, 06:41 AM
Holy shit, that's a lot of ORPHAN love. It maxes out at 20, so I'll just have to lose SUMMER CAMP NIGHTMARE or something.

And Peter Bark is a legend, but the guy was like 25 when they filmed BURIAL GROUND!

satans-sadists
10-11-2009, 10:08 AM
Danny Lloyd in The Shining. Brilliant performance and entirely believable too.

NightAndFog
10-11-2009, 04:08 PM
Linda Blair would have been my choice, but Isabelle Furhman was terrific on Orphan.

maskull
10-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Isabelle Furhman. She took an ok film and made it something special. Carried the whole thing on her back she did.

Also Kirsten Dunst and Danielle Harris got serious consideration.

j tea
10-11-2009, 05:44 PM
Holy shit, that's a lot of ORPHAN love. It maxes out at 20, so I'll just have to lose SUMMER CAMP NIGHTMARE or something.

And Peter Bark is a legend, but the guy was like 25 when they filmed BURIAL GROUND!

you know, i might actually have to divide my love up and award it to peter bark's english voice-over actor and the mute physical form of mr. bark.

Nailwraps
10-11-2009, 05:51 PM
Alex Vincent, for sure.

AndresG
10-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Joel Osment, mind-blowing performance, Danny Lloyd comes very closely as a solid 2nd though...

snowbeast323
10-11-2009, 08:28 PM
I simply cannot vote on this poll, its too difficult :(
Heather O'Rourke, Linda Blair and Danielle Harris are all amazing.....

Kodiac Jack
10-11-2009, 09:34 PM
Macaully Culkin definitely. He creeped the hell out of me.

bwana the clown
10-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Well, seeing as Peter Bark wasn't included in the list, I'm voting for Bob. He gets a lot of undeserved hate but it's not his fault he was dubbed with that voice. Watch House By The Cemetery with the volume off and maybe you'll all recognise Bob's amazing acting talent.

rhett
10-11-2009, 11:22 PM
Seriously, Bark was N O T A K I D. :lol:

j tea
10-12-2009, 12:06 AM
whats a notakid? is that a condition bark suffers from him that makes him look like a leathery 40 year old when he is still a youthful 12 year old? heartbreaking!

Body Boy
10-12-2009, 01:13 AM
Anybody on there is good.

...except for fucking Giovanni Frezza. Don't get me wrong, I love House By the Cemetery...but his acting/dubbing was soooooooo shitty, I felt like slapping my television with a pillow. >:(

Katatonia
10-12-2009, 01:14 AM
The fact that Giovanni Frezza is up in that list is a TRAVESTY lol. Yes I know his voice was dubbed...poorly... but he still sucked.

Anybody on there is good.

...except for fucking Giovanni Frezza. Don't get me wrong, I love House By the Cemetery...but his acting/dubbing was soooooooo shitty, I felt like slapping my television with a pillow. >:(

:lol: I thought he was actually quite good in the few movies he was in as a kid. :nervous:

He actually contacted me a few years ago out of the blue, and he's all grown up! A very nice guy, but his English is a little broken. :p

The Chaostar
10-12-2009, 04:06 AM
Try to see him with no sound on, guys.His performance is actually really good for a kid in a low budget italian movie (HBTC).

bwana the clown
10-12-2009, 05:31 AM
Seriously, Bark was N O T A K I D. :lol:

Oops..I misread the thread title as Best Performance OF a Child. (which of course Mr Bark would win by a mile) My bad.

rhett
10-12-2009, 07:49 AM
Ma-ma!

evildeadfan123
10-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Linda Blair, then Danielle Harris, pretty close 2nd.

MorallySound
10-12-2009, 10:51 PM
Linda Blair.

But there should definitely be an option for Quinn Lord who played Sam from Trick 'r Treat. He did a fantastic job!

MacReady
10-13-2009, 10:04 PM
Corey Haim in THE LOST BOYS

I think his is the only lead character in the list.

Though I could be wrong.

rhett
10-13-2009, 11:06 PM
Corey Haim in THE LOST BOYS

I think his is the only lead character in the list.

Though I could be wrong.

The majority of the actors on the list are leads.

X-human
10-13-2009, 11:52 PM
Danny Lloyd was absolutely phenomenal in the shining. just check out the documentary where scatman crothers talks about the kid - that is some serious professional respect, and he was, what, six years old at the time? linda blair was also excellent of course, but she had makeup, prosthetics, and crazy dialogue to help her out. danny's performance was practically silent. its all in his face and his eyes. just jaw dropping when you think about it.

Well, the thing is Danny didn't even know he was doing a horror movie. A lot of his performance was assembled from what Kubrick was able to do with him. Danny never knew context. It's hard to gauge a performance that way.

Linda Blair was excellent in The Exorcist, I'm especially thinking of the medical experiments which chilled me more than anything else the film has. Her reactions were not stock, like even the possessions were, but had a realistic tone that would seem to come from knowledge beyond her age. I'm sure she had excellent direction, but still it was talent on her part.

dave13
10-14-2009, 12:37 AM
Well, the thing is Danny didn't even know he was doing a horror movie. A lot of his performance was assembled from what Kubrick was able to do with him. Danny never knew context. It's hard to gauge a performance that way.

Linda Blair was excellent in The Exorcist, I'm especially thinking of the medical experiments which chilled me more than anything else the film has. Her reactions were not stock, like even the possessions were, but had a realistic tone that would seem to come from knowledge beyond her age. I'm sure she had excellent direction, but still it was talent on her part.

fair enough.

MacReady
10-14-2009, 09:23 AM
The majority of the actors on the list are leads.

I should have said "main characters" or "actor with the most lines".

DVD-fanatic-9
10-16-2009, 07:32 PM
WHAT A LIST!

I had to give it to Heather O'Rourke, because she was so damn cute! But, after that- the honorable mentions go to Felissa Rose, Courtney Gains, Kirsten Dunst, and Linda Blair. None of which naturally could do "uh huh... uh uh" like Heather.