PDA

View Full Version : Must Buy Blu-ray Horror Top 10 FINAL. Dawn of the Dead (78) (TOP 10 Completed)

Spitfire
10-20-2009, 12:14 AM
Must Buy Blu-ray Horror part 10 FINAL. Dawn of the Dead (78) - Blu-Ray

With another strong victory, Dawn of the Dead gets the 4 votes in for the FINAL Blu-ray on the list.

This is the final entry on the list, as chosen by HorrorDVDs Forum: This is the Top 10 Must-buy Blu-rays.

Must-Buy: 01. Child's Play - Blu-Ray
Must-Buy: 02. The Thing - Blu-Ray
Must-Buy: 03. The Shining - Blu-Ray
Must-Buy: 04. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Original) - Blu-Ray
Must-Buy: 05. Friday the 13th part 2 - Blu-Ray
Must-Buy: 06. The Descent - Blu-Ray
Must-Buy: 07. Halloween (78) - Blu-Ray
Must-Buy: 08. An American Werewolf in London - Blu-Ray
Must-Buy: 09. My Bloody Valentine 3-D - Blu-Ray
Must-Buy: 10. Dawn of the Dead (78) - Blu-Ray

So if you haven't picked up these selections, I really suggest you look into adding it into your Blu-ray collection. If you've bought them, I'd love to read your comments on the discs. Image, sound. If you haven't, will you be buying any of the choices on the list?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2537/4027788728_73ff170199_m.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2719/4027008069_10e62997db_b.jpg

Honorary Mention Award : (These were voted for but didn't quite make the list)

01. Poltergeist
02. Let the Right One In

So what do you think of the list, which do you own, and which are you planning to buy from the list?

Katatonia
10-20-2009, 12:22 AM
7-9

I'm only missing The Thing and Dawn of the Dead. I'm planning on picking up the UK Blu of The Thing sometime, since it's the winner in extras. I have the feeling that Dawn of the Dead will be re-released sometime, and I'm happy enough with the Ultimate Edition set for now.

Mutilated Prey
10-20-2009, 01:21 AM
6 for me. I don't ever see myself getting Child's Play, but The Thing, American Werewolf in London and The Shining will eventually happen.

Harry Warden
10-20-2009, 02:24 AM
4 at the moment: The Shining (the first BD I bought), The Thing, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Halloween, but I will be buying several others listed in time.

Nailwraps
10-20-2009, 02:39 AM
I own none. But come the day, I get a Blu-Ray player (mainly one that's region free and a VHS combo) consider Child's Play, Texas Chain Saw Massacre, Original Halloween and Dawn Of The Dead, and Friday The 13th Part 2 on my list!

indiephantom
10-20-2009, 02:44 AM
4. I own The Shining, MBV 3-D, TCM, and Friday the 13th Pt. 2. I agree that all are fantastic discs. I plan on getting Halloween, Dawn of the Dead, and possibly AAWIL when I can find them cheap. I keep looking but haven't seen the Anchor Bays for under 20 bucks yet.

bigdaddyhorse
10-20-2009, 03:19 AM
Only have 3 so far (The Thing, The Descent and My Bloody Valentine) but have witnessed the awesomeness of The Shining and Dawn of the Dead on BD from the library.
I'll pick up the Shining when I'm ready to see it again, or see it for under $10, and will wait for a better Dawn of the Dead.
I should've waited on The Thing, but couldn't. I'm good with it though, I have my old dvd for the extras. Until that other lost footage shows up, this will hold me over just fine.

geeare
10-20-2009, 03:30 AM
I have 7. i still don't own The Shining, TCSM or An American Werewolf in London. Funny, cause american werewolf is my fav. horror of all time. I must go pick this up tomorrow when I buy Dead Snow on Blu. That right. it's available in Canada. Anyway, I will never own TCSM on Blu because IMO that movie should only be watched on a shitty old VHS tape with the tracking all screwed up. it just gives the film alot more character.

BlackAndBlu81
10-20-2009, 04:21 AM
I own them all but The Thing. I also am gonna import the Uk release. Also gonna replace my Region A Dawn blu with The sweet ass 3 disc UK version.

Lone Wolf
10-20-2009, 04:57 AM
I have 8. Was never much of a fan of Child's Play and didn't care for The Descent.

Dave
10-20-2009, 05:30 AM
Own Halloween and Dawn. That's it! I have The Thing on HD-DVD.

I will being picking up some but honestly a few of those are just occasional rentals for me.

rxfiend
10-20-2009, 07:39 AM
I have 4 of them on blu and 3 on HD (shining, american werewolf and thing).

MorallySound
10-20-2009, 07:57 AM
I own 4. TCM/Halloween/AWIL/DOTD

f.ramses
10-20-2009, 01:04 PM
Only 2 here, The Shining and My Bloody Valentine 3D. The Shining is the best looking BD I've seen so far. My Bloody Valentine 3D looked good too but I watched it with the glasses so I really wonder how much benefit the HD was since I was watching it through 2 colored lenses but since that's really the only reason I bought it (to see a 3D movie) so that's how I watched it.
As for the rest, I might buy Child's Play and, like many, I'd like to buy Let the Right One In but I'm not sure the corrected version exists on BD. Dawn of the Dead would be nice but it's just the theatrical cut and if they eventually release the Ultimate Edition on BD I'll have wasted my money, I still waver on buying it though. I was also thinking about Halloween because it's so cheap, it's October, and to give it one last chance but I dunno, I already own the movie (albeit on VHS...), I'm really not a fan at all, and don't think I'll ever understand the immense popularity of this movie. As for the rest, there are a few other maybe's but nothing that I'm particularly interested in.

Kolpitz
10-20-2009, 05:29 PM
I own all of them except for An American Werewolf in London, Child's Play and The Thing. An American Werewolf in London and The Thing are on order from Amazon though.

EDIT: An American Werewolf in London and The Thing have arrived from Amazon.

ReelFear
10-20-2009, 06:05 PM
i own 4. Texas Chainsaw, Halloween, The Shining, and The Thing.

I don't have a Blu ray player yet, so i bought these just for the future.
It's hard to look at the discs knowing i can't play them, but now that this list confirms that they are among the best horror releases out there, I'm sure I will be in horror heaven when the time finally comes.

Funktion
10-20-2009, 10:50 PM
I currently own 6 of the listed titles:

-The Thing
-The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Original)
-Friday the 13th part 2
-Halloween (78)
-An American Werewolf in London
-My Bloody Valentine 3-D

One thing this top 10 didn't have into consideration is the different releases worldwide, and which ones are the best. For example, the UK releases I own of The Thing and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre are superior to their US counterparts due to the inclusion of added extra features, and while I don't own it, it seems the US Descent Blu-Ray disc looks significantly worse than the Australian release.

othervoice1
10-20-2009, 11:07 PM
and while I don't own it, it seems the US Descent Blu-Ray disc looks significantly worse than the Australian release.
Wow I hadnt heard that-I would be interested in seeing the Australian release because the region 1 bluray for the Descent looks amazing so I cant see how it could really be that much better if it really even is as far as picture quality is concerned.

Funktion
10-20-2009, 11:35 PM
Wow I hadnt heard that-I would be interested in seeing the Australian release because the region 1 bluray for the Descent looks amazing so I cant see how it could really be that much better if it really even is as far as picture quality is concerned.
And to make matters worse for those interested in purchasing the film, it seems there's 2 US releases by Lionsgate, featuring the exact same cover, but transfers with different codecs and with quite different results! :confused:

This thread should help you out regarding the different BD releases of Descent:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1063833

Additionally, a UK release is coming very soon, and there's also the possibility of this new release being better than the previous ones.

Katatonia
10-21-2009, 01:15 AM
And to make matters worse for those interested in purchasing the film, it seems there's 2 US releases by Lionsgate, featuring the exact same cover, but transfers with different codecs and with quite different results! :confused:

Additionally, a UK release is coming very soon, and there's also the possibility of this new release being better than the previous ones.

Very interesting, has Lionsgate done that with any of their other Blu-ray releases?

I just checked and my Descent Blu is the MPEG-4 AVC encoded disc. I think the transfer looks fabulous, and I really can't imagine the transfer looking much better. The uncompressed PCM 7.1 audio track is also virtually perfect.

MPEG-2 encoding can look quite good for displaying HD on Blu-ray, but it's a dated compression format. It also takes up more disc space than the newer and superior VC1 and MPEG-4 AVC encoding methods.

spawningblue
10-21-2009, 10:08 PM
Of that list I have The Shining, The Descent, An American Werewolf in London and My Bloody Valentine 3D.

I plan on picking up Child's Play, Texas Chainsaw Massacre very soon. Friday the 13th I am waiting until they are all released in hope that there will be a box set.

I don't consider Halloween, Dawn of the Dead or The Thing Must Buys myself though. Halloween has the messed up colour, is missing the TV version and is also missing extras from both previous DVD releases. The Thing is missing lots of extras unless you get the import version. And Dawn is destined to be released in an ultimate version as it is very lacking compared to the DVD missing extras and the other versions of the movie.

bigdaddyhorse
10-21-2009, 10:56 PM

Very interesting, has Lionsgate done that with any of their other Blu-ray releases?

I just checked and my Descent Blu is the MPEG-4 AVC encoded disc. I think the transfer looks fabulous, and I really can't imagine the transfer looking much better. The uncompressed PCM 7.1 audio track is also virtually perfect.

MPEG-2 encoding can look quite good for displaying HD on Blu-ray, but it's a dated compression format. It also takes up more disc space than the newer and superior VC1 and MPEG-4 AVC encoding methods.

What do I need to check which one my disc is?
I'm pretty sure it's the MPEG-4 (or is it MPEG-2, that's the only one mentioned in the link with screens), cuz it was absolutely stunning when I watched it and I don't see how it could be much better. I swear the BD looked better than the theater. Of course I usually save all my title strips, but this one ripped and wouldn't fit in the case with holes anyway (I'm all for being green and what-not, but these are fucking stupid as they expose the main area you want to protect).:rolleyes:

Just compared a few screens to the ones on the link, and am 99% sure I got the good one. Whew.:glasses:
Fucking powerdvd is telling me everything except video info, although from what I hear that info is suspect anyway.

Katatonia
10-22-2009, 01:28 AM
What do I need to check which one my disc is?
I'm pretty sure it's the MPEG-4 (or is it MPEG-2, that's the only one mentioned in the link with screens), cuz it was absolutely stunning when I watched it and I don't see how it could be much better. I swear the BD looked better than the theater. Of course I usually save all my title strips, but this one ripped and wouldn't fit in the case with holes anyway (I'm all for being green and what-not, but these are fucking stupid as they expose the main area you want to protect).:rolleyes:

Just compared a few screens to the ones on the link, and am 99% sure I got the good one. Whew.:glasses:
Fucking powerdvd is telling me everything except video info, although from what I hear that info is suspect anyway.

Play the disc with PowerDVD, and then "right click" while the film is playing, and then go to Configuration ---> Information. It should list the encoded compression format of the disc there.

Just because a transfer looks good, doesn't mean it's not encoded as MPEG-2, nor that it's always bad news if it is. Many early Fox Blu-rays are actually just MPEG-2 and many of them look great.

bigdaddyhorse
10-22-2009, 02:31 AM
O.K., that didn't quite work but "show information" did.
It says MPEG-2 going around 25mbs. Fuck it, it looked awesome when I watched it so I'm not going to worry about it. I had the screens backwards anyways, from that link I think the M-2 looks sharper and better anyway.

I'll have to test some other discs to see if Powerdvd gives me the right info (I have 7 btw, not sure if that's the newest but it said I'm up to date when I tried to update it since my drive can't handle the Wrong Turn BD's for some reason).

othervoice1
10-22-2009, 02:46 AM
I dont think its really a big deal since mine looks amazing- but just for curiousity sake- anyone know if there is a way if I can check if its mpeg 4 or mpeg 2 via my playstation 3? I dont have a blu-ray drive for my computer.

Katatonia
10-22-2009, 02:53 AM
I'll have to test some other discs to see if Powerdvd gives me the right info (I have 7 btw, not sure if that's the newest but it said I'm up to date when I tried to update it since my drive can't handle the Wrong Turn BD's for some reason).

PowerDVD (before versions 8 or 9) has trouble playing Fox Blu-rays sometimes. It's due to their use of BD-Java or something. BTW, what do the Wrong Turn Blu-rays look like to you? I keep hearing in reviews that the transfers for the first two look pretty bad.

I dont think its really a big deal since mine looks amazing- but just for curiousity sake- anyone know if there is a way if I can check if its mpeg 4 or mpeg 2 via my playstation 3? I dont have a blu-ray drive for my computer.

I don't think you can really check that with normal Blu-ray players, just with software players.

bigdaddyhorse
10-22-2009, 06:28 AM
Wrong Turn 1 was mixed. Some shots were great, but more were soft and kinda dull.
I thought 2 looked excellent, a bit soft here and there (some on purpose) but mostly really good.
3 looked pretty good also.
Better than the dvds, but not awe inspiring either. I probably should've waited as 3 is pretty bad filmwise. It might grow on me...

Amazonagent
10-22-2009, 06:32 AM
I only have one of these on Blu (The Descent), but I own most of them on DVD already. I do plan on getting 'Werewolf in London' on Blu since I don't have it on DVD but I don't think I'll be rebuying the older horror titles on Blu. Unless the Blu transfer is drastically different I'll stick with my DVD versions. I'm focusing on buying newer horror titles on Blu.

Funktion
10-23-2009, 12:02 AM
O.K., that didn't quite work but "show information" did.
It says MPEG-2 going around 25mbs. Fuck it, it looked awesome when I watched it so I'm not going to worry about it.
Actually it's the other way around: the first release, with the MPEG-2 codec, is apparently the superior US release. You got the good one! :p
The re-release used a more recent codec, but it seems there was a loss of detail compared to the "older" release.

Katatonia
10-23-2009, 12:50 AM
Actually it's the other way around: the first release, with the MPEG-2 codec, is apparently the superior US release. You got the good one! :p
The re-release used a more recent codec, but it seems there was a loss of detail compared to the "older" release.

If you read some of the comments in that thread though (pages 2-5 especially), most people stated that they thought the AVC encode was superior, more film grain is present.

It really doesn't look like there's really too much difference truthfully. But by seeing the screen compares posted in that thread, I'd have to go with the AVC version. There appears to have been some light DNR grain scrubbing done with the MPEG-2 version, and I could register a slight reduction in detail on those.