PDA

View Full Version : Hammer to a Virgin

Hellbilly
12-08-2001, 04:33 PM
I'm a virgin when it comes to Hammer films. Can somebody recommend Hammer flicks that are available on DVD?

I remember watching Chris Lee in Dracula-Prince of Darkness once but I'm not sure if it was a Hammer film.

Thanks in advance.

Hellbilly
12-08-2001, 05:17 PM
Hello? *echoes* ....

Anybody here??? *echoes*...

carl.kolchak
12-08-2001, 05:54 PM
Hellbilly, Dracula Prince of Darkness is one of the best Hammer films currently available on dvd. Dracula POD and Plague of the Zombies both probably offer the most bang for the buck and can usually be found at Suncoasts for $2.99, if they don't have Drac POD at Suncoast, KMart frequently has em for around $5. The next 2 I'd recommend are Scars of Dracula and Lust for a Vampire. :)

Hellbilly
12-08-2001, 06:11 PM
It was ages ago when I saw POD, I didn't know back then that it was a Hammer flick. Plague of the Zombies sounds familiar though. Never seen it but I guess I'll buy that one and POD soon.

Thanks for the tip carl.

p.s. Do you got any info on Terror of the Tongs? I just read that title on some site and it sounds kinda interesting.

Andrew
12-08-2001, 09:00 PM
I bought Plague of the Zombies back when the AB "deals" were $10, and I don't regret it. Excellent movie. I have Rasputin - The Mad Monk too, but I haven't watched it yet (don't hurt me Hyde ;)).

Hellbilly
12-08-2001, 09:25 PM
I've heard that Plague of the Zombies isn't "really" a Zombie film.
Are there any munching scenes in it at all?

It doesn't really matter if not...

...just curious.

mutleyhyde
12-08-2001, 09:44 PM
Sorry Billy, no munchings and crunchings in Plague... but it is quite fun. Also, The Devil Rides Out is a major player, and I think Frankenstein Created Woman is terrific. Well, hell, I think they're all terrific, but I'm obviosly biased.

p.s., Andy, you are so dead! Get with it dude, lol. :)

skinnypuppy6
12-08-2001, 10:34 PM
dracula! ,vampires ,mummy and frankenstien are good one to pop a cherry with. and oh yeah Quartermass and the pit is damn good too!

Hellbilly
12-08-2001, 10:48 PM
Well I just finished my little research about Hammer flicks and came across these two flicks: To The Devil A Daughter and Shatter.

Two films that I'm very interested in. Are there any plans in releasing those films on DVD? Shatter sounds like a lot of fun. Any thoughts and opinions about this movie?

I only saw half of To The Devil A Daughter, However I do remember Nastassja Kinski having a nude scene (if my memory serves me right!).

Thanks again for the recommendations.

skinnypuppy6
12-08-2001, 10:58 PM
anchor bay released shatter a long time ago on vhs as part of the hammer collection but not on dvd but they are going to release it here in the near future as for to the devil a daughter I have no idea at this time so many different studios own the rights to hammer films but they are stingy bastards a do not put them on dvd

Hellbilly
12-08-2001, 11:19 PM
Too bad about To The Devil...:(

mutleyhyde
12-09-2001, 02:26 PM
Billy, both Shatter and To the Devil a Daughter are scheduled to come out in the first quarter 2002 from Anchor Bay. Neither film is very representative of what is best of Hammer, from what I hear anyway. I've never seen Shatter, but heard it was pretty bad, and it never even got a theatrical release. As for To the Devil, yeah, it's got Nasty Kinki in it, but it was a bit, um, low key - to put it nicely. It's not terrible, but there are just so many other better Hammers to be had. If you like the idea of Shatter, at least the production collaboration side of it, you may want to try The Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires, which pits our friend Professor Van Helsing and his new kung-fu savvy band of vampire hunters against a group of ancient Chinese vampires. Pretty cool actually. :)

Hellbilly
12-09-2001, 08:25 PM
Hammer or not, I always had a soft spot for bad movies and Shatter seems to fit that category very well. :)

Besides that, I will definitely seek out those other films that you guys consider being Hammers best/fun efforts.

Thanks again for filling me in about those H-flicks.
I hope I didn't cause too much trouble. ;)

skinnypuppy6
12-10-2001, 12:36 AM
I say buy all the hammer dvds you can find:)

carl.kolchak
12-17-2001, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by mutleyhyde
it's got Nasty Kinki

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/images/smilies/rotflmao.gif Nice one Mutley! I've never heard Miss Kinski called that before! :D I must have suffered through Cat People 10 times on cable as a wee lad just to see Nasty Kinki prowling around sans clothes, did she ever appear in a good movie?

Hellbilly
12-17-2001, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by carl.kolchak
did she ever appear in a good movie?

Tess and Paris, Texas were quiet good flicks. I also thought Cat People was kewl.
I heard there's a Cat People special edition DVD heading our way next year...

mutleyhyde
12-18-2001, 01:55 AM
She has a girl on girl kissing scene in Your Friends and Neighbors. :) It doesn't last long, but damn!

mutleyhyde
01-02-2002, 07:10 AM
LOL! Try this site for a good, funny look at Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires. Be sure to check out the user comments as well.
http://www.badmovies.org/movies/goldvamps/goldvamps7.jpg
Bad Movies; 7 Golden Vampires (http://www.badmovies.org/movies/goldvamps/)

calpurnia
01-02-2002, 08:06 PM
Nasty Kinki did a film called Tess, based on Thomas Hardy's Tess Of The D'Urbervilles. She was fabulous in that, and it was directed by Roman "The Diddler" Polanksi. Polanski is a great director who deserves to come back to North America.
CAT PEOPLE was good. Please don't hit me!
PARIS TEXAS and LITTLE BOY BLUE were good also.

Nasty Kinki can act, believe it or not.

OH, and the best to start out with Hammer are THE GORGON, HORROR OF DRACULA, and QUARTERMASS AND THE PIT. They kind of get you used to the pacing and dodgy acting. (But what great dodgy acting they did!) Then go onto the best- THE DEVIL RIDES OUT.
Once you've seen those, you can handle every Hammer horror, and enjoy them all. Esp. Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed.

Hellbilly
01-02-2002, 08:09 PM
I know this site but I kinda missed that 7 golden vampires review.

Zombies love watching reruns of "The Gong Show."

lol, did they already had "the gong show" back then?

Hellbilly
01-02-2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by calpurnia
Nasty Kinki did a film called Tess. She was fabulous in that.
CAT PEOPLE, PARIS TEXAS and LITTLE BOY BLUE were good also.

She was also great in UNFAITHFULLY YOURS. Anybody remember that Dudley Moore flick?