PDA

View Full Version : Creme de la Creme

Chainsaw
01-30-2001, 02:07 AM
Is there any one disc or group of discs that serve as the crown jewel of your collection? Here's some of my favorites:

Army of Darkness - Director's Cut
Say what you want about this one, but it will always be one of my favorites. There were simply too many goodies that were cut from the original version of the film, and finally seeing them as part of the feature is awesome. The image quality of the lost scenes definitely takes a hit, especially during the night scenes, but I can easily look past that. And having the original ending in place of that ridiculous S-Mart ending is far more appropriate.

Evil Dead - Elite Special Edition
This movie looks great! A terrific new mix and a superb transfer make this an excellent purchase by themselves, but the two (count 'em) commentaries are where the disc really shines. Bruce Campbell's track should be the standard for all other solo tracks. And while not very organized, the "bits and pieces" reel is mildly amusing.

Halloween (Restored)
Unfortunately, I did was unable to find the 2 disc edition featuring the TV version of this film, but I haven't lost too much sleep over it. Simply put, this film looks absolutely beautiful. Oddly enough, I almost enjoy watching the daytime scenes the most, simply because the colors are so vivid and warm. Add to that a slew of trailers and an interesting documentary, and you've got a kick ass version of an imortal film.

Now where's that LD commentary?

Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Pioneer
One of the first discs I bought, this is a keeper. Initially, I thought the transfer was a little weak, but I've come to realize that this is probably as good as it's going to get. Great commentary, trailers up the ass (for the sequels as well!) and an excellent collection of deleted scenes and bloopers put this one at the top of my list. Although as I'm reading this, I see that I listed this movie last... um, yeah.

Keep the limbs 'a flyin',
Chainsaw

AceRimRat
01-30-2001, 03:05 AM
Tough to name 'em all, but here's a try:

Halloween LE (sorry, Chainsaw)
Seven SE
The Thing CE
Alien Legacy set
Hellraiser/Hellbound tin
NOTLD (Elite)
NOES set

and of course...

Anchor Bay's NOTLD Hackmaster 2000 (c. Mark Relford) limited edition!

Mark Relford
01-30-2001, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by AceRimRat:
Anchor Bay's NOTLD Hackmaster 2000 (c. Mark Relford) limited edition!

The horror...The horror... http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/wink.gif

Some of my favorites:

(1) NOTLD (Elite)
(2) Blood Feast
(3) The Thing
(4) Maniac (Elite)
(5) The Exorcist: 25th Anniversary
(6) The Beyond
(7) Two Thousand Maniacs
(8) Angel Heart (I love this f**king movie!)

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

mutleyhyde
01-30-2001, 05:59 AM
Hey Mark, I've been putting off getting that Angel Heart disc as I just know the second I buy it, they'll announce a new SE. The disc has been around forever. How is it? Any good extras, a good transfer, etc.? I love the movie too. I've probably asked before, but have you read the book? It's great.
Anyway...
-Masterworks of German Horror
I still love my set from Elite, no matter how much it gets bashed.
-Bullet in the Head
It's from Tai Seng, so the sub-titles are pretty bad, but this movie rocks.
-Night of the Living Dead, Elite
'Nuff said.
-Logan's Run
A favorite movie, and a great disc to boot.
-Bridge on the River Kwai SE
Just got this and it is a great package. Great transfer. No commentary, but some real nice extras such as multiple featurettes and a number of trailers from the same era make this a favorite. I now can't wait for Ben Hur and Lawrence of Arabia. Yes, I am an epic hound. I wish Criterion would get off their duff and put out their Spartacus.

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde

Jason25
01-30-2001, 06:57 AM
The Beyond Tin
Repo Man Tin
Let Sleeping Corpses Lie Tin
Maniac
Deep Red
Inferno
Nightmare City SE
Halloween LE
Army of Darkness LE
Robocop - Criterion
New York Ripper
City of The Living Dead
Brain Damage SE
Deadbeat At Dawn SE
Dead Ringers - Criterion
Clerks CE
The Thing CE

Mark Relford
01-30-2001, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by mutleyhyde:
Hey Mark, I've been putting off getting that Angel Heart disc as I just know the second I buy it, they'll announce a new SE. The disc has been around forever. How is it? Any good extras, a good transfer, etc.? I love the movie too. I've probably asked before, but have you read the book? It's great.

It sports a good transfer for such an early release. I picked it up for $9.99 and it's worth owning. The extras are: an average made for cable featurette, a theatrical trailer, cast bios, and production notes. No Parker commentary! http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/frown.gif
Also, it's really the unrated version, not the R-rated version listed on the back.
I've read parts of "Fallen Angel."

------------------

[This message has been edited by Mark Relford (edited 01-30-2001).]

Gnaghi
01-30-2001, 07:58 AM
i thought i saw somewhere that they are releasing the halloween tv version sometime this year. i guess they are doing the army of darkness thing and releasing limited editions than releasing them seperate later.

mutleyhyde
01-30-2001, 08:04 AM
Well dang man, if Angel Heart's actually the unrated version, I'll have to pick it up. Thanks!

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde

DopeChamberX
01-30-2001, 08:38 AM
1. Halloween LE
2. The Exorcist 25th Anniversary
3. The Ultimate Scream Collection
4. Halloween 5 Tin
5. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
6. Clue (damn,I always mention this film http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/biggrin.gif)
7. Mallrats CE

-The last two were freebies-

------------------
"It's not who you come with, it's who you take home." - Prom Night 4

"...find something you love doing and do it for the rest of your life..." - Rushmore

My Collection (http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=Rasmith)

AceRimRat
01-30-2001, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Mark Relford:

Also, it's really the unrated version, not the R-rated version listed on the back.

Hey, Mark, sorry for the ign'rnt question, but how can you tell? I haven't seen this one in years, and only saw the unrated version (rented it).

K'
01-30-2001, 10:50 PM
Nr. 1:
Army of Darkness LE
Nice tow disc set with great picture and sound, the director´s cut and many other cool extras, like the commentary or story boards.

Nr. 2:
Evil Dead 2 LE Tin
Great movie in nice tin and an excellent commentary.

Nr. 3:
Scream Director´s Cut from Japan.
Even if the director´s cut only varies in a few scenes it is nevertheless cool. See the movie the way it was meant to be seen. Also it is nice to hear the Japanese dubbing really cool to hear Neve Campell talking Japanese http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/biggrin.gif

Nr. 4:
Dawn of the Dead Box from Laser Paradise
The Final Cut in this box has every scene from both normal cuts. Maybe not what Argento and Romero want but really enjoyable to watch.

------------------
Whoever said violence never solves problems
obviously never used enough of it.

jae
01-31-2001, 12:27 AM
Crown jewels.. for me they tend to be rare/hard to find DVDs including R2's and those movies that I was really surprised with and fell in love with:

Nosferatu the Vampyre - probably the 1 movie that got me hooked on horror

Dellamorte Dellamore R2

Hocus Pocus R2 - AHHH! the HORROR! http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif pretty stupid movie (of course it is, its Disney) but it has some odd appeal..

Bava Box - great movies.. its on the list since I never saw any of the movies and bought them hoping they would be good.. big score here.

Nightmare before Christmas SE

Mark Relford
01-31-2001, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by AceRimRat:
Hey, Mark, sorry for the ign'rnt question, but how can you tell? I haven't seen this one in years, and only saw the unrated version (rented it).

Actually, that's a damn good question.
http://www.mondo-digital.com/angelheart.html
confirms it. My buddy swears up and down that it's the uncut version. (He has the unrated VHS.) Seconds were cut from the infamous sex scene to pacify the MPAA.
I've seen the unrated version twice, mostly familiar with the R-rated one. Haven't seen the TV cut, which featues additional scenes.

Maybe napalm68 can back me up on this. I think he mentioned something about it on the T&A post.

*update: Yep, napalm68 also confirms it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Mark Relford (edited 01-31-2001).]

Mark Relford
01-31-2001, 07:31 AM
oops!
sorry for the double post.
------------------

[This message has been edited by Mark Relford (edited 01-31-2001).]

Jamm
01-31-2001, 12:27 PM
My top favorite in my collection is The Rocky Horror Picture Show - 25th Anniv.
Second and third would be the NOES and Alien sets. Of course, this is ONLY until Lucas puts out the Star Wars saga on DVD.

TobalRox
01-31-2001, 03:45 PM
Halloween LE (GOt it right as Reel.com stopped selling their DVDs)
Army of Darkness LE (ok, so I have the two DVDs bought seperate, but the theatrical needs to me mentioned too.)
Nightmare Box Set
Evil Dead 2 Tin (I would have bought the standard release, but they didn't have any in at the time)
T2: Ultimate Edition
Robocop: CE
Night of the Living Dead (Elite)
Evil Dead (Elite)
Fight Club
Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy (I can't wait for the now delayed Dogma SE)
The Ultimate Toy Box (say what you will, but Pixar kicks ass)
Seven SE
The Birds

------------------
"It's a spadoinkle day" -Cannibal: The Musical

AIM: TobalRox