PDA

View Full Version : Poultrygeist To Be Troma's First Blu-Ray!

Nailwraps
10-27-2009, 06:51 PM
I was surfing on DVDaf and found out that Troma will release it's first Blu-Ray! The title, Poultrygeist. The date, February 23rd, 2010! Here's the cover art!:

http://www.dvdaf.com/search.html?reldt=2010&has=poultrygeist&rgn=us&init_form=str0_reldt_2010*str1_has_poultrygeist*rg n_us

This could be the beginning of something big for Troma.

Grim
10-27-2009, 08:22 PM
Considering how they can't even put out a quality DVD transfer, I don't have high hopes at all for anything HD related.

shithead
10-27-2009, 11:58 PM
Considering how they can't even put out a quality DVD transfer, I don't have high hopes at all for anything HD related.

My thoughts exactly.

Mattapooh
10-28-2009, 12:42 AM
I have the three-disc DVD and I thought it was pretty fun, but I really can't see any reason to have this on Blu-Ray.

Mother's Day, on the other hand...

MisterTwister
10-28-2009, 12:47 AM
I thought the Poultrygeist DVD transfer looked pretty damn good.

KamuiX
10-28-2009, 01:56 AM
Yeah, the quality on new Troma DVD's is way up these days; anyone that says otherwise hasn't seen the major releases they've put out in the past year or so. I wouldn't be surprised if the quality of the Blu-Ray is impressive.

SaviniFan
10-28-2009, 03:51 AM
I have no interest in this on blu......but Toxie, Mother's Day, Luther the Geek, hell even Bloodsucking Freaks would be killer if the transfers were done right.

Grim
10-28-2009, 04:11 AM
I just remember the Terror Firmer dvd set and how the deleted scenes were in widescreen and looked ten times better than the actual film. If they could rectify stuff like that then I'd be more open to this.

horrorlover
10-28-2009, 04:24 AM
hopefully Bloodsucking Freaks isn't far behind, that movie is so trashy and I'd love to see it in HD :)

MisterTwister
10-28-2009, 05:58 AM
I have no interest in this on blu......but Toxie, Mother's Day, Luther the Geek, hell even Bloodsucking Freaks would be killer if the transfers were done right.

What's wrong with Poultrygeist? I thought it was one of their best films. Love the musical numbers and all the carnage in the final half hour.

Citizen Toxie was filmed in widescreen too. I saw a screener of it 2 years before it hit DVD and it was in widescreen.

Jeremy
10-28-2009, 07:08 AM
Haven't seen any of Troma's new DVDs, although they, like Retromedia, did spend much of the standard def era associating with all the wrong people when it came to compression and authoring.

Nailwraps
10-28-2009, 04:24 PM
Citizen Toxie was filmed in widescreen too. I saw a screener of it 2 years before it hit DVD and it was in widescreen.

I had no idea. I assumed it was filmed in full screen. Anyway, I'm interested to see how the Poultrygeist Blu-Ray will turn out.

Grim
10-28-2009, 04:44 PM
Haven't seen any of Troma's new DVDs, although they, like Retromedia, did spend much of the standard def era associating with all the wrong people when it came to compression and authoring.

That's only part of the problem. Their "remastered transfers" look like they were struck in the mid-80's, films that should be in widescreen are in full-screen, etc.

jimmyp
10-28-2009, 07:18 PM
That's only part of the problem. Their "remastered transfers" look like they were struck in the mid-80's, films that should be in widescreen are in full-screen, etc.

Troma used to shoot their movies in "open-matte" so they could be shown in theaters in widescreen then when the dvd came out they would open the mattes and it would be "fullscreen". The movies that are on DVD are in their proper aspect ratio. I talked to Lloyd Kaufman about this quite a few times.

Wez4555
11-02-2009, 03:45 AM
could of blu of redneck zombies be too far behind? ::drool::

adric
11-02-2009, 03:53 AM
class of nuke em high. nuff said.

Grim
11-02-2009, 04:30 AM
Troma used to shoot their movies in "open-matte" so they could be shown in theaters in widescreen then when the dvd came out they would open the mattes and it would be "fullscreen". The movies that are on DVD are in their proper aspect ratio. I talked to Lloyd Kaufman about this quite a few times.

I dunno, man. The whole issue with Terror Firmer and it's deleted scenes doesn't sit right with me. I know that the Toxic Avenger films, Class of Nuke'em High, etc. are in the proper ratio, but it just doesn't make sense how good the Terror Firmer deleted scenes look compared to the main feature.

Nailwraps
11-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Some good news, this way comes!:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3635

"Troma Entertainment founder Lloyd Kaufman has announced that, starting January 2010, the veteran low-budget horror studio will release one title from its catalog on Blu-ray every month. No slate has been detailed, but unofficial information has it that the February release will be 'Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead'."

X-human
11-02-2009, 05:53 PM
^ That's interesting... I'm sure they have a few HD masters around for their latest features but I would have serious doubts over them releasing 12 movies next year. I also wouldn't expect much more than upconversions from any catalog titles.

MorallySound
11-02-2009, 09:54 PM
If I can expect The Toxic Avenger on Blu-ray next year I can die a happy man.

Sinister Ash
11-09-2009, 08:04 AM
If I can expect The Toxic Avenger on Blu-ray next year I can die a happy man.

AGREED! This is one movie that I'll be happy to upgrade if they do a great transfer on this. Hopefully they'll include both open matte version and the WS versions on the disc.

Severn
11-09-2009, 08:50 PM
class of nuke em high. nuff said.

This.

KamuiX
11-10-2009, 12:37 AM

The other thing is when it comes to Troma releasing their own in-house stuff, the films are low-budget and aren't shot in the same pristine manner as bigger-budgeted stuff. So we just can't expect the quality to be as good as others. Then take into account a lot of the films they license aren't top-shelf either in the budget area, and we can't expect miracles.

I have doubts about how some of these films will translate to HD myself, but what I don't doubt is that Troma will do everything they can in the quality department. Like I said, their quality control has increased a lot over the past year or two, in the same way BCI got their act together after years of shitty releases.