PDA

View Full Version : My American Psycho blu-ray stopped working

Grim
10-31-2009, 04:34 AM
I've had this one for about a year and a half now. It's worked every time up until now.

On my PS3, the disc gets as far as the text disclaimer about the commentaries and interviews not being opinions of Lionsgate, etc. On my folks Samsung player, it tries to get through the main menu animation, but is glitchy as hell and I never get a chance to hit play.

I don't understand this as the disc is spotless. I am incredibly anal about my disc and take really good care of them. A new one is only $9.99 on amazon so it's not that big of a deal, but I'm still curious as to why it just ceased to function.

Matt89
10-31-2009, 04:41 AM
Just checked mine and it still works. I've had it for about a year now. Shit, I hope this isn't a trend with blu-rays. I haven't ever had a problem so far with any of my blu-rays, but if it happens to a Criterion, I'm gonna shit a brick.

~Matt

indiephantom
10-31-2009, 05:28 AM
Make sure you do firmware updates accoriding to your player and drive. It happened to me once with the Zombie version of HALLOWEEN. Wouldn't load. Firmware is usually the key, but be prepared to possibly have to call the manufacturer hotline (of your player first, then with BD company if needed).

Good luck and I hope it starts working again for you.

Grim
10-31-2009, 05:32 AM
Make sure you do firmware updates accoriding to your player and drive. It happened to me once with the Zombie version of HALLOWEEN. Wouldn't load. Firmware is usually the key, but be prepared to possibly have to call the manufacturer hotline (of your player first, then with BD company if needed).

Good luck and I hope it starts working again for you.

Yes, but if it was a firmware issue wouldn't it have never worked to begin with? It worked on my PS3 every time I've played it over the past year and now it's just suddenly not working on the same player. I always keep it up to date too.

Terry44
10-31-2009, 03:31 PM
Sometimes putting a new firmware update can stop some previous working discs from playing. I had no problems watching kung fu panda with an original firmware but when I updated the firmware it would just lock up I had to wait for a later firmware update so it would work again. But hey that's technology for you.

Harry Warden
10-31-2009, 06:58 PM
That sucks!! I have this title as well. I just watched it about 3 months ago and it was fine but I also have a new Samsung BD player. I haven't loaded any new firmware yet. I hope you solve this glitch. As others have stated, I hope to fuck this isn't a Blu Ray trend.

Nailwraps
10-31-2009, 07:21 PM
You should consider contacting PS3 Technical Support.

bigdaddyhorse
10-31-2009, 08:05 PM
Yes, but if it was a firmware issue wouldn't it have never worked to begin with? It worked on my PS3 every time I've played it over the past year and now it's just suddenly not working on the same player. I always keep it up to date too.

Maybe the updates fix some things and wreck others (like your ability to play A.P.)? It doesn't make much sense, esp. knowing you keep your discs clean. My second guess would be fingerprints or scuffs on the disc where it starts (do BD's read inside out like dvd's?), but that don't sound like it.

I also really hope this isn't gonna be an issue with any BD's.

Grim
10-31-2009, 09:45 PM
Maybe the updates fix some things and wreck others (like your ability to play A.P.)? It doesn't make much sense, esp. knowing you keep your discs clean. My second guess would be fingerprints or scuffs on the disc where it starts (do BD's read inside out like dvd's?), but that don't sound like it.

I also really hope this isn't gonna be an issue with any BD's.

Yeah, the fact that it doesn't work on two different players worries me. I contacted Lionsgate's customer support department to see if they have anything to say about it.

Shannafey
10-31-2009, 10:38 PM
And so it starts!! VHS tapes I have from the early 80s are still playing!

fceurich39
11-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Yeah, the fact that it doesn't work on two different players worries me. I contacted Lionsgate's customer support department to see if they have anything to say about it.

i actually got this last month on blu-ray because i found it cheap a new copy and it didn't work on my blu-ray player it kinda made a buzzing sound and said it cannot play this disc so i took it back i have the killer cut edition dvd anyway

i think for some reason lionsgate has alot of faulty copies of american psycho blu-ray and it is the only blu-ray movie i have ever got that didn't work

zombi3
11-11-2009, 09:07 PM
Same thing happened to me with my Saw IV BD (also Lionsgate). It worked, then it would only work sometimes, and eventually it stopped working altogether. I have an LG BH200 and tried rolling back the firmware, but that didn't help.

Bobbywoodhogan
11-11-2009, 09:17 PM
This is strange, hope its not a growing trend with blu rays.

Grim
11-12-2009, 04:15 AM
Yeah and Lionsgate never even replied to my email. I mean even a simple "we can't do anything" is better than nothing.

Stige
11-12-2009, 09:42 AM
hmm good thing I have most of my blu's on dvd still, but the newer titles, this has me worried a bit..

Hellbilly
11-12-2009, 10:13 AM
None of my blu's caused any trouble yet, except for Starship Troopers. USB drive was required to watch the movie.
Sucks about your American Psycho disc though.

Grim
11-12-2009, 02:03 PM
I'll eventually buy it again if I see it for a good price. It's $9.99 on amazon right now, but I'm in no hurry to watch it again so I'll take a little bit to look around and see if anything is cheaper.

bigdaddyhorse
11-12-2009, 03:48 PM
except for Starship Troopers. USB drive was required to watch the movie.

Really? So if I was to buy this, I wouldn't be able to watch on my player because I don't have BD-Live or an internet connection?
This is what worried me about early BD specs I'd hear about, but I thought it was all bullshit and paranoria in a divx hangover.:nervous:

Katatonia
11-13-2009, 12:56 AM
I've gotten two defective Blu-rays that I've purchased new before, both from 20th Century Fox. Neither disc would even be recognized by either my set-top player or my computer's BD drive...which are both different brands and the firmware is always fully updated. When I looked closely at the disc surfaces of both, I noticed almost microscopic "pits" visible near the inner ring of the disc. Manufacturing defect I would guess?

I haven't had a Blu-ray in my collection that's played before and gone bad however.

Hellbilly
11-13-2009, 07:25 AM
Really? So if I was to buy this, I wouldn't be able to watch on my player because I don't have BD-Live or an internet connection?
This is what worried me about early BD specs I'd hear about, but I thought it was all bullshit and paranoria in a divx hangover.:nervous:
The disc looks for enough memory to support the BD live content even when BD live is not enabled. So you need an SD card, flash drive or whatever to add for extended memory so the disc can load.
Mine played fine (without internet connection) after I inserted a 4 GB SD Memory Card into the slot of my Blu-ray player.

bigdaddyhorse
11-13-2009, 04:51 PM
The disc looks for enough memory to support the BD live content even when BD live is not enabled. So you need an SD card, flash drive or whatever to add for extended memory so the disc can load.
Mine played fine (without internet connection) after I inserted a 4 GB SD Memory Card into the slot of my Blu-ray player.

Think I might go rent this and test it, cuz I don't have anything you mentioned on my bottom of the line player (which has been fine so far, sans some long load times) unless I completely missed it. Fucking library doesn't even have part 1 on dvd, much less BD. They have part 3 on both formats (it was better than 2).:rolleyes:

And I missed it, there is a SD-menory card slot on front.

BTW, I saw Sony BD-players at Wal-Mart this week for $148 (what I paid for my Magnavox a few months ago) that have bd-live and all that shit according to the box. Almost makes me wish I waited.

baggio
11-13-2009, 05:35 PM
None of my blu's caused any trouble yet, except for Starship Troopers. USB drive was required to watch the movie.
Sucks about your American Psycho disc though.

Email Address is consumer@sphecustomersupport.sony.com or call 800-860-2878.

Dear Valued Consumer,

Thank you for your e-mail. We appreciate your interest in Sony Pictures Home Entertainment products.

To receive an exchange for the Starship Troopers Blu-ray disc, please return your Blu-ray disc (case not needed) to the following address:

SPHE Consumer Support
PO Box 157
Neenah, WI 54957
Attn:

Please be sure to include your return address (no PO Boxes) and a copy of this email. Your replacement will be shipped to you via Fed Ex Ground, and please allow 3-5 weeks for delivery.

Regards,

SPHE Consumer Affairs Team
800-860-2878

Hellbilly
11-14-2009, 08:58 AM
Email Address is consumer@sphecustomersupport.sony.com or call 800-860-2878.

Dear Valued Consumer,

Thank you for your e-mail. We appreciate your interest in Sony Pictures Home Entertainment products.

To receive an exchange for the Starship Troopers Blu-ray disc, please return your Blu-ray disc (case not needed) to the following address:

SPHE Consumer Support
PO Box 157
Neenah, WI 54957
Attn:

Please be sure to include your return address (no PO Boxes) and a copy of this email. Your replacement will be shipped to you via Fed Ex Ground, and please allow 3-5 weeks for delivery.

Regards,

SPHE Consumer Affairs Team
800-860-2878

Ah thank you very much, even though mine is playing fine after inserting the SD card. But maybe I'll get a replacement after all.