PDA

View Full Version : Black Christmas (1974) on HD Net

Paff
10-31-2009, 10:47 PM
I found out about this too late to post an advance notice on it, but I came in last night and saw that the original Black Christmas was progammed on HD NEt Movies last night about 3AM local time. Immediately put it on the DVR.

Watched a little of it this morning, and noticed a lot of little white speckles all over the picture. I'm starting to wonder if it came from a print of the film, and not the remastered versions like the DVDs. Still, if that's the case, then maybe it will be the right aspect ratio, because all the DVDs I've seen of it seem to be incorrect. Only the Laserdisc has the right ratio, but the picture on it sucks really bad.

I'll watch it more, and see if there are cigarette burns, the clue to telling if it's a print or not.

horrorlover
11-01-2009, 12:39 AM
Why can't they release this movie correctly on dvd or blu ray? The blu ray has out of synch audio I've read, among other problems. Since the laserdisc is the correct aspect ratio apparently, they should look at it when transferring to dvd or blu ray.

Matt89
11-01-2009, 03:00 AM
What's wrong with the blu-ray? Sure it doesn't look amazing and could look better, but it's definitely the best the film has ever looked and most of the problems seem to be inherent in the source material. Out of synch? I have no idea what you mean by that, and the film is presented in 1.78:1 widescreen, and it seems that would be the correct ratio (as open matte and 1.66:1 were also incorrect). The movie looks perfectly framed on the blu-ray. Seems that they finally got it RIGHT.

~Matt

horrorlover
11-01-2009, 03:21 AM
you don't understand what "out of synch" means? It's when the audio doesn't match the video.

Matt89
11-01-2009, 05:53 AM
you don't understand what "out of synch" means? It's when the audio doesn't match the video.

Errr......yeah, my statement clearly went right over your head. What I meant was that I have no idea what you mean by that since the audio isn't out of synch on the blu-ray edition. I have no idea where you got that idea from.

~Matt

Katatonia
11-01-2009, 10:30 AM
since the audio isn't out of synch on the blu-ray edition.

I honestly didn't notice any audio being out of sync on the blu-ray either. :eek2:

CaptHowdy
11-01-2009, 11:55 PM
I didn't notice any sync problems on my blu-ray, either.

It's me, Billy
11-02-2009, 11:49 PM
What's wrong with the blu-ray? Sure it doesn't look amazing and could look better, but it's definitely the best the film has ever looked and most of the problems seem to be inherent in the source material. Out of synch? I have no idea what you mean by that, and the film is presented in 1.78:1 widescreen, and it seems that would be the correct ratio (as open matte and 1.66:1 were also incorrect). The movie looks perfectly framed on the blu-ray. Seems that they finally got it RIGHT.

~Matt

Supposedly, the 1999 LaserDisc (which Warner Bros. licensed out to Image Entertainment for a very limited run - only 500 pressings IIRC) is matted to 1.85:1 which would be the only time the film was released in 1.85:1 in any home video format. All VHS releases and the 2000 DVD are 1.33:1. The 2002 DVD is 1.66:1 non-anamorphic and all releases since have been 1.78:1 16x9/1080p. Granted, there isn't much of a difference between 1.85:1 and 1.78:1, but it is noticeable if you look really close. Not that it's worth arguing about though. :) 1.78:1 is fine by me.