PDA

View Full Version : Lionsgate November Horror Blu-rays

fceurich39
11-03-2009, 06:19 PM
u might check out ur local walmart i checked two of them and they both had
Near Dark,Cujo,Frailty and Angel Heart although my smaller walmart only had near dark for 10.00 bucks

i am kinda disapointed they didn't have the two i really want monster squad and my bloody valentine which i hope is still uncut on blu-ray i hope to see some reviews on this one soon

BlackAndBlu81
11-04-2009, 03:23 AM
Mine had Near Dark and the 2 Rest Stop movies. Man that wouldve been great to get the Monster Squad and MBV for $10.00 each.

Grim
11-04-2009, 04:16 AM
Wal-Mart's website says the only one that'll be in stores is Near Dark. All the rest are online only. The Monster Squad blu ain't even online. I'll check for Near Dark, but I'll order the rest off amazon as they're cheaper.

KamuiX
11-04-2009, 04:53 AM
Will definitely check out my local Wally World tomorrow. Near Dark for $10 is fine with me, even without the extras.

FulciLuvver
11-04-2009, 06:14 AM
Actually the NEAR DARK BluRay does have the features...they were confirmed!

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.asp?item_id=1489140&tab=5&back=1&anchor=1#topoftabs

chrismac87
11-04-2009, 06:36 AM
I grabbed NEAR DARK.

I'm not going to let cover art stop myself from experiencing a film I love in high def. That's just a silly reason to skip out on a release. Especially with hundreds of custom DVD cover websites around.

Shannafey
11-04-2009, 01:04 PM
Is Angel Heart the unrated cut? If it isn't, the companies are starting their BS again!

fceurich39
11-04-2009, 03:45 PM
here is a somewhat negative review for the blu-ray of near dark
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews47/near_dark_blu-ray.htm

bigdaddyhorse
11-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Oh, there's gonna be some pissed off parents and shaked tweeens when they discover this isn't a prequel to Twilight like the cover makes it look to be.
Sexless love and bloodless murder? Not in this my friends!

Stige
11-04-2009, 04:35 PM
well good, at least I don't have to think about buying another blu ray. I thought the studio canal release in england was ok but they may be right about a non high definition transfer

Mattapooh
11-04-2009, 05:04 PM
That review definitely makes the BD out to be disappointing. I've got the two-disc SE from Anchor Bay and that looks FANTASTIC upscaled on my 42" Bravia, so I was thinking the Blu would look amazing.

Companies sure are shooting themselves in the foot with Blu-Ray, aren't they? You'd think at a time when they really need to sell people on this new format, they'd pull out all the stops and get some mindblowingly good discs out there, but it seems like a lot of them are really half-assed jobs.

bigdaddyhorse
11-04-2009, 06:35 PM
I just grabbed this since $10 is nice and cheap. I started profiling it for dvdprofiler and the opening looks bad, real bad. But then I started clicking around random spots and all of them look fucking nice on my computer monitor. Can't wait to see it on the 67" true HD set-up!

No others at Wally except the Rest Stop movies (is 2 anywhere near as bad as the first?)
Was hoping to see Frailty, and looks like Cabin Fever is coming soon as it's on the LG BD promo when you play the disc!

chrismac87
11-04-2009, 07:50 PM
I watched this last night and I have to say, although I haven't seen the AB disc in a long ass time, this disc looked pretty damn good for a movie that's over 20 years old.

It's pretty clear there's some DNR - I mean the grain is almost non-existent - but it really didn't distract me or bother me in the least bit. My only gripe is the picture appears to be a bit darker than the AB disc, but again I haven't seen it in a really long time so I can't be sure, but other than that, I really have no issues with this disc. Especially with a price tag of a mere $10 which I believe is less than what the DVD LG put out over this past year.

bigdaddyhorse
11-04-2009, 08:42 PM
I watched this last night and I have to say, although I haven't seen the AB disc in a long ass time, this disc looked pretty damn good for a movie that's over 20 years old.

It's pretty clear there's some DNR - I mean the grain is almost non-existent - but it really didn't distract me or bother me in the least bit. My only gripe is the picture appears to be a bit darker than the AB disc, but again I haven't seen it in a really long time so I can't be sure, but other than that, I really have no issues with this disc. Especially with a price tag of a mere $10 which I believe is less than what the DVD LG put out over this past year.

Yeah, the dvd at the same Wal-Mart is $14.96.:eek2:
I've noticed many BD's look a bit darker than I remember the dvds looking. Not sure why that is, maybe better color reproduction without artifical brightening? Only True Romance looked too dark for me on BD so far, but almost all I've noticed to be a bit darker.

Grim
11-04-2009, 09:14 PM
To be honest, those screen grabs looked good. There was definitely some DNR in a few of them, but it certainly looked better than the DVD. For $10, I may still grab this from Wal-Mart.

fceurich39
11-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Yeah, the dvd at the same Wal-Mart is $14.96.:eek2:
I've noticed many BD's look a bit darker than I remember the dvds looking. Not sure why that is, maybe better color reproduction without artifical brightening? Only True Romance looked too dark for me on BD so far, but almost all I've noticed to be a bit darker.

pn best buys websites the upcoming monster squad and my bloody valentine blu-rays are only $12.51 hopefully that price remains when they come out if so they'll match the online price my bestbuy is only getting 2 copies of each

chrismac87
11-05-2009, 01:08 AM
I really think if you're a fan of the film, you should pick it up.

It's the best the film has ever looked, as per my memory, and I doubt anyone out there will ever do another Blu Ray release anytime soon.

I'm just happy the film's actually out on Blu Ray, a slightly less grainier transfer and a so-so cover were not going to keep me from getting one of my favorite films.

Grim
11-05-2009, 01:42 PM
Watching it now and I think it looks good. DNR aside, the detail is still much higher than the DVD and colors are rich.

And the opening promo gives you a look at what the other horror films look like and MBV, Cujo, Angel Heart, Monster Squad, they all looked great. They also had Cabin Fever in there too so hopefully that gets a release soon.

Cujo108
11-05-2009, 09:45 PM
They also had Cabin Fever in there too so hopefully that gets a release soon.

On his Twitter just recently, Roth said that he and LG were talking about releasing the director's cut of Cabin Fever on Blu, so hopefully that's what we get.

Grim
11-05-2009, 10:06 PM
On his Twitter just recently, Roth said that he and LG were talking about releasing the director's cut of Cabin Fever on Blu, so hopefully that's what we get.

I would be perfectly content with the theatrical cut, but the Director's Cut would be awesome.

Harry Warden
11-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Just picked up Near Dark today, despite the crappy cover. I like the film too much to not buy it on Blu, especially for only $10.

fceurich39
11-08-2009, 02:38 AM
kinda odd cabin fever is shown but there is no info anywhere about a blu-ray release i am thinking it'll come out when part 2 does on dvd in febuary
i also heard there is an uncut version of the first cabin fever that was screened a few months back it would be nice if that would be the version released on blu-ray

rxfiend
11-09-2009, 08:16 PM
I watched Near Dark last night. I thought the V/A was a step up from the DVD, but it's not going to blow you away. Some scenes looked pretty good, but over all, it was about average. At least the bitrate is higher, so in that regards it'll look better on bigger displays. LG could have done much better, but it's in line with their other budget catalog releases...

And yes, that cover is horrible. But hey, if it pulls in some unsuspecting teeny boppers, so be it!

fceurich39
11-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Anyone know if the upcoming my bloody valent blu is gonna have both versions i am assuming yes and i wonder if the deleted gore scenes is cleaned up any???

Grim
11-09-2009, 10:45 PM
kinda odd cabin fever is shown but there is no info anywhere about a blu-ray release i am thinking it'll come out when part 2 does on dvd in febuary
i also heard there is an uncut version of the first cabin fever that was screened a few months back it would be nice if that would be the version released on blu-ray

Read Cujo's post above.

Grim
11-09-2009, 10:48 PM
Anyone know if the upcoming my bloody valent blu is gonna have both versions i am assuming yes and i wonder if the deleted gore scenes is cleaned up any???

I would assume they would be clearer, but they probably have already cleaned them up the best they could. If anything, the heightened resolution may reveal even more print damage. I'm happy either way.

fceurich39
11-09-2009, 11:26 PM
Read Cujo's post above.

jeez i most have been dreaming or something i didn't even see that thanx:banana:

foller
11-10-2009, 01:15 PM
I would assume they would be clearer, but they probably have already cleaned them up the best they could. If anything, the heightened resolution may reveal even more print damage. I'm happy either way.

I really hope the Blu will look much better. The Paramount transfer of Bloody Valentine is much better and brighter than the one from Lionsgate. You can see so much more detail. On the Lionsgate DVD many things are lost in the dark.

fceurich39
11-13-2009, 04:03 PM
here is the back cover art to monster squad and my bloody valentine which confirms both versions just like the dvd release
http://www.axelmusic.com/productDetails/017153100402

http://www.axelmusic.com/productDetails/031398115120

just click on the picture

ross
11-17-2009, 07:13 PM
My local Best Buy has the My Bloody Valentine blu-ray in stock now (1 week early). It might be available at other locations early too so call your local store. At $17.99 its more expensive than Amazon so I'm hoping to see good reviews before buying.

fceurich39
11-18-2009, 09:25 PM
my best buy has both my bloody valentine and monster squad but they wont be out until the release date

SickNick89
11-18-2009, 11:18 PM
Got my MBV blu ray early and was please to find that the original trailer is now included on the MBV blu ray.

fceurich39
11-18-2009, 11:30 PM
Got my MBV blu ray early and was please to find that the original trailer is now included on the MBV blu ray.

how is the movie in 1080p and more importantly the deleted gore scenes reinserted into the movie?

SickNick89
11-18-2009, 11:32 PM
how is the movie in 1080p and more importantly the deleted gore scenes reinserted into the movie?

The movie looks great! All those reds really pop. Like the DVD you can watch the movie with the deleted footage inserted back in.

philxus
11-18-2009, 11:34 PM
Got Monster Squad and Near Dark Blue-Ray this past weekend at Walmart for $10.00 each,also got Blade Runer 5 disc Collector`s Edition Blue-Ray for $17.99 at BJ`s:banana::evil:

fceurich39
11-18-2009, 11:38 PM
Got Monster Squad and Near Dark Blue-Ray this past weekend at Walmart for $10.00 each,also got Blade Runer 5 disc Collector`s Edition Blue-Ray for $17.99 at BJ`s:banana::evil:

my walmart's didn't have monster squad here yet it's funny it isn't even on the website to check store status

SickNick89
11-18-2009, 11:41 PM
my walmart's didn't have monster squad here yet it's funny it isn't even on the website to check store status

I did pick up Monster Squad aswell but haven't popped it in yet (watched MBV). I also got Silent Scream early.

Kolpitz
11-19-2009, 12:17 AM
I went ahead and picked up the Near Dark BD at Walmart tonight, despite the shitty cover art and hearing mixed things about the audio / video quality. I usually don't care how crappy the cover art is since it's the movie that counts. However, this obvious Twilight cash grab made me think twice about buying the BD. But, in the end, I love this movie and it was hard to pass up for ten bucks. Plus, it does put a smile on my face everytime I think about some teenie bopper buying Near Dark, thinking it's like Twilight. Their heads will explode whilst watching the film. Just the fact that the vampires catch on fire when exposed to sunlight, as opposed to sparkling, will mindfuck them. As for the quality, most people seem to think it's better than the DVD so, even if it's not mind-blowing, that's good enough for me.

dickieduvet
11-19-2009, 01:55 AM
Anybody picked up Cujo yet ?

Katatonia
11-22-2009, 12:54 PM

The Wal-Mart Supercenter here also didn't have any when I checked last evening. Their website is just piss poor, kind of like the level of service in some of their stores.

It looks like my pre-orders of The Monster Squad, MBV and Cujo won't arrive until next Monday from Amazon according to a fulfilment delay email. No big deal though, it's not as if I don't already have them...albeit on DVD. ;)

Silent Scream will arrive to me on the 25th though. At least that'll alleviate the annual Thanksgiving depression. Oh, how I loathe that holiday. :sleepy:

Matt89
11-22-2009, 05:57 PM
Picked up My Bloody Valentine on Friday. They had it out at Best Buy, but when I went to buy it, the girl at cash wouldn't let me, saying that she couldn't sell me the blu-ray because the computer said the blu-ray isn't supposed to be released until this Tuesday. Fucking bullshit, then why is it out on the shelf? Fuckers.

So I went into HMV, and they had it there too, for $14.99. I have a $5 rewards coupon, so I'm gonna go back into Best Buy on Tuesday and grab Cujo. It's $14.99, with the $5 off coupon...$9.99. Definitely worth the upgrade.

~Matt

chrismac87
11-22-2009, 06:40 PM
The Wal-Mart Supercenter here also didn't have any when I checked last evening. Their website is just piss poor, kind of like the level of service in some of their stores.

It looks like my pre-orders of The Monster Squad, MBV and Cujo won't arrive until next Monday from Amazon according to a fulfilment delay email. No big deal though, it's not as if I don't already have them...albeit on DVD. ;)

Silent Scream will arrive to me on the 25th though. At least that'll alleviate the annual Thanksgiving depression. Oh, how I loathe that holiday. :sleepy:

I pre-ordered THE MONSTER SQUAD and FRAILTY, didn't get an email saying they'd be delayed...in fact...on Amazon - it still says if you order them with two-day shipping - at least for Prime members - you can get them the day they come out...

I hope mine aren't delayed...otherwise I'll be heading to Best Buy on Tuesday to pick em' up.

Katatonia
11-23-2009, 12:48 AM
I pre-ordered THE MONSTER SQUAD and FRAILTY, didn't get an email saying they'd be delayed...in fact...on Amazon - it still says if you order them with two-day shipping - at least for Prime members - you can get them the day they come out...

I hope mine aren't delayed...otherwise I'll be heading to Best Buy on Tuesday to pick em' up.

I noticed that too, and for all three of the Blu-rays I pre-ordered it still shows that way on the item pages. Yet it shows 11/30 as the revised estimated delivery date in my account now. I am a member of Prime. Perhaps it's just a mistake...often they ship things earlier in my experience.

foller
11-23-2009, 02:28 PM
I would love to see a MBV review that compares the Blu with both DVDs (Paramount/Lionsgate). I really want to know if the Blu is as bright as the Paramount transfer or just as dark as the Lionsgate DVD.

chrismac87
11-23-2009, 11:37 PM
My order from Amazon shipped today, I'll have THE MONSTER SQUAD and FRAILTY tomorrow. *does the Snoopy dance*

fceurich39
11-24-2009, 12:00 AM
i'll check walmart tomorrow also my bestbuy opens at 9 AM so i'll check there
i was very happy with the near dark blu and will probably with my bloody valentine and monster squad as well

the other 3 angel heart not a big fan of Vhs is just fine
for Cujo i have the 25th anniversary dvd and weird alternate republic vhs no need for blu
and Frailty i like it but am satisfied with the dvd

Katatonia
11-24-2009, 01:16 AM
My order from Amazon shipped today, I'll have THE MONSTER SQUAD and FRAILTY tomorrow. *does the Snoopy dance*

Mine now says "Items shipping soon" in my account, so hopefully they'll ship soon. :nervous: They've been shipping a lot of my stuff out by free UPS overnight shipping (if it doesn't ship the previous Friday by 2nd-day Air) so it arrives on the release Tuesday.

Mutilated Prey
11-24-2009, 02:26 AM
My MBV Blu shipped today from Amazon.

BlackAndBlu81
11-24-2009, 03:46 AM
Monster Squad Blu-Ray review

http://www.dvdtown.com/review/monster-squad-the/blu-ray/7577

MBV Blu-Ray review

http://fandomania.com/blu-ray-review-my-bloody-valentine/

Mutilated Prey
11-24-2009, 04:50 AM
Nice, the MBV review sounds choice!

Katatonia
11-24-2009, 07:41 AM
My MBV Blu shipped today from Amazon.

The Monster Squad, My Bloody Valentine, and Cujo all shipped from Amazon, and will arrive tomorrow via free overnight shipping. Looks like the delay was an error. Gotta love Prime! :evil:

dickieduvet
11-24-2009, 11:59 AM
Received MBV and Monster Squad today :)
Will be viewing both later.

Matt89
11-24-2009, 03:53 PM
The review for My Bloody Valentine seems a bit off. It's definitely the best it's ever looked, but it doesn't look AMAZING (Friday the 13th looks better). I noticed some scratches and print damage throughout the print. It's not like the print is littered with damage, it has been cleaned up extremely well, print damage is RARE, but it still pops up every now and then. Some scenes look excellent, while others are rather blurry (the establishing shot of Mabel's Laundromat being a prime example). It doesn't look bad by any means, I just don't think it looks as good as the reviewer was making it out to be. Nonetheless, I'm still happy with it. I'd give it a 3-3.5/5

The special features are MOSTLY the same as the DVD, but this time around we get the film's original theatrical trailer as well, in HD too!

Overall, they did a good job with the blu-ray. I'm happy with it. And for the price, it's definitely worth its value. I just think the reviewer there kinda exaggerated things a bit.

~Matt

fceurich39
11-24-2009, 08:02 PM
Lionsgate announced Cabin Fever blu-ray date for feb 16th no disc specs yet also i am curious if Eli Roth got lionsgate to put the director's cut on the blu-ray disc as he was in talks into doing so

also Cabin Fever 2 Spring Fever is supposedly coming to dvd finally in feb it looks like we may have just an release date for that also as the UK is getting it the following week

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/18179/

and also the my bloody valentine blu-ray rocks awesome picture quality and a nice addition to ad the trailer

bigdaddyhorse
11-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Anyone having luck finding these at Wal-Mart?
My local store continues to suck, they didn't even get Angels and Demons on BD, so I think they have quit even trying to sell BD's at all now.

Tried calling the one 15 minutes down the highway. Got disconnected twice, then told to hold while he checked, none. Then hold again to check the computers, at which point the front answered again and I said "electronics", back to them, a different guy, tell him I was waiting on the other dude and he hangs up on me.:rolleyes::fuck::fuck::fuck::fire::fire::fire:

Bottom line, FUCK Wal-Mart! I will never step foot in there again, at least not either store near me!
Oh, Best Buy has all of them, but for $17.99 each. I even had them scanned in case the sale tags were tardy or forgotten, no sale = no sale. Still better than FYE, they only got Cujo and want $21.99 for it.:eek::eek1::fucked:

fceurich39
11-24-2009, 08:19 PM
Anyone having luck finding these at Wal-Mart?
My local store continues to suck, they didn't even get Angels and Demons on BD, so I think they have quit even trying to sell BD's at all now.

Tried calling the one 15 minutes down the highway. Got disconnected twice, then told to hold while he checked, none. Then hold again to check the computers, at which point the front answered again and I said "electronics", back to them, a different guy, tell him I was waiting on the other dude and he hangs up on me.:rolleyes::fuck::fuck::fuck::fire::fire::fire:

Bottom line, FUCK Wal-Mart! I will never step foot in there again, at least not either store near me!
Oh, Best Buy has all of them, but for $17.99 each. I even had them scanned in case the sale tags were tardy or forgotten, no sale = no sale. Still better than FYE, they only got Cujo and want $21.99 for it.:eek::eek1::fucked:
my walmart after getting angel heart/frailty early don't have em no more they did have my bloody valentine and cujo no monster squad but bestbuy have all 5 that came out today

chrismac87
11-24-2009, 09:06 PM
Got THE MONSTER SQUAD and FRAILTY today. I think I'm the only person grabbing FRAILTY from what it sounds! I thought it was a great movie, very creepy and dark. Oh well.

spawningblue
11-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Got THE MONSTER SQUAD and FRAILTY today. I think I'm the only person grabbing FRAILTY from what it sounds! I thought it was a great movie, very creepy and dark. Oh well.

I picked them all up except Angel Heart as I haven't seen that one. Will probably grab it later on. Either way Amazon.ca has all of them for $13.50 each.

bigdaddyhorse
11-24-2009, 09:24 PM
I'm bummed that Angel Heart is missing a huge chunk of Voodoo related extra features. I'm tempted to just get the old SE dvd now, but will wait for reviews. It's gonna have to be reference to make me want Blu with less features for at least double what the dvd goes for.

Broke down and bought Frailty as Stacy couldn't wait, we've both been fiending to watch this again and I made her wait for Blu, so fuck it, spend a few extra bucks insted of waiting more. Will wait for sales on the rest as I'm not dying to re-watch any of them right now, and I have the dvds of all of them anyway.

fceurich39
11-24-2009, 09:32 PM
Bill Paxton kicked ass in frailty as he does in everything he is in also too bad there is no new stuff in monster squad blu-ray but i guess there is no need since there's tons of special features

spawningblue
11-24-2009, 09:32 PM
I'm bummed that Angel Heart is missing a huge chunk of Voodoo related extra features. I'm tempted to just get the old SE dvd now, but will wait for reviews. It's gonna have to be reference to make me want Blu with less features for at least double what the dvd goes for.

Broke down and bought Frailty as Stacy couldn't wait, we've both been fiending to watch this again and I made her wait for Blu, so fuck it, spend a few extra bucks insted of waiting more. Will wait for sales on the rest as I'm not dying to re-watch any of them right now, and I have the dvds of all of them anyway.

I didn't notice Angel Heart was missing all the extras. Weird that they would include everything for all their other releases and skimp at on that one. Although I guess they did the same with Near Dark. Guess I too will just go for the Special Edition DVD.

fceurich39
11-24-2009, 09:39 PM
I didn't notice Angel Heart was missing all the extras. Weird that they would include everything for all their other releases and skimp at on that one. Although I guess they did the same with Near Dark. Guess I too will just go for the Special Edition DVD.

yeah near dark blu-ray was missing the awesome booklet,storyboards,bios,poster/still gallery it had everything else though

fceurich39
11-24-2009, 09:43 PM
well we are getting the unrated director's cut of cabin fever here is the official artwork
http://www.dvdempire.com/exec/v4_item.asp?item_id=1507588

also just confirmed a dvd/blu-ray of cabin fever 2 unrated/rated versions here
http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/18187/

Grim
11-25-2009, 03:14 AM
well we are getting the unrated director's cut of cabin fever here is the official artwork
http://www.dvdempire.com/exec/v4_item.asp?item_id=1507588

also just confirmed a dvd/blu-ray of cabin fever 2 unrated/rated versions here
http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/18187/

I was just about to post these. Cool about the DC of CF and finally fucking CF 2 has an official release date. Let's see if it sticks.

Cujo108
11-25-2009, 04:17 AM
Naturally, the Cabin Fever DC will be a first day purchase. Director Ti West disowned CF2. Considering how I've felt about West's other films, perhaps that's actually a good thing. :D

Katatonia
11-25-2009, 12:13 PM
The Monster Squad Blu-ray is superb. The transfer is sharp and the colors are rich, it looks simply great in HD. The lossless DTS HD Master Audio sounds quite dynamic as well. All of the old DVD features are ported over. Surprisingly the 5-part retrospective is presented in full HD. Even the Theatrical Trailer is in HD and is a sight to behold.

The My Bloody Valentine Blu-ray looks quite good also. The transfer is a definite improvement over the old DVD. And again the lossless DTS HD Master Audio sounds quite good for an older movie. The original Mono track is also included. All of the old DVD features are ported over in standard def, and they've added the theatrical trailer as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Both of those discs are fully packed with well over 40 gigs in data per disc.

The Cujo Blu-ray looks and sounds pretty nice also. Again, all of the DVD features are ported over and are in standard def here. This disc is just a little over 20 gigs on a single-layer.

One thing that does suck is that Lionsgate is again using those lame "cut-out" ecocases. I had thought they had stopped using them, since the last couple of recent Lionsgate Blu-rays I purchased (Stargate - 15th Anniversary, The Children) had normal HD Slim cases. :mad:

BlackAndBlu81
11-25-2009, 02:55 PM
I can confirm the Angel Heart blu-ray is missing the voodoo extra features. The picture quality is pretty good. Grain haters stay away though. It has a nice sheen of natural film grain in most scenes. The audio was superb as well.

bigdaddyhorse
11-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Frailty suffered from some grain in a few scenes and a few soft looking shots, but the majority of the film looked great. All extras made the trip, even photo gallery, but the deleted scenes are still non-anamorphic less than SD. Didn't check any of the other extras except the gallery to make sure it was there.

chrismac87
11-25-2009, 07:49 PM
I just watched THE MONSTER SQUAD last night and some of the extras to refresh my memory.

The scenes from the television version that for some reason were not included on the original DVD, are here now. The retrospective featurette has also been tweaked some and there's a few new bits I spotted. Michael Felsher told me he did do some tweaking to that feature as well as adding several minutes to it.

So it looks like the Blu does have exclusive extras.

I'm gonna pop in FRAILTY in a bit, haven't seen the movie in years, can't wait to watch it again.

fceurich39
11-25-2009, 07:54 PM
I just watched THE MONSTER SQUAD last night and some of the extras to refresh my memory.

The scenes from the television version that for some reason were not included on the original DVD, are here now. The retrospective featurette has also been tweaked some and there's a few new bits I spotted. Michael Felsher told me he did do some tweaking to that feature as well as adding several minutes to it.

So it looks like the Blu does have exclusive extras.

I'm gonna pop in FRAILTY in a bit, haven't seen the movie in years, can't wait to watch it again.

i'll have to check it out as my monster squad dvd did have deleted scenes which i thought were from the tv version

Katatonia
11-26-2009, 12:37 AM

That's awesome. I thought the deleted scenes looked a bit longer than what was included on the old DVD.

Hell, I may as well sell off my old DVD release now! :lol:

RidgeShark
11-26-2009, 01:06 AM
I found this posted over at the cheapassgamer forums regarding what's so special about the Monster Squad Blu-ray. It largely reiterates what's already been said here, but has a few other interesting tidbits:

Just wanted to give folks an update on SQUAD's Blu-Ray....

1. All the extras from the DVD edition will be present and accounted for on the BluRay

2. With the exception of the Deleted Scenes & Frankenstein Interview, all of the other video extras are being re-outputted right now by myself in HD. The documentary, theatrical trailer, TV Spot (in 4x3 obviously), Still Gallery, and Storyboard Sequence were all originally shot and/or transferred and posted in HD and then downconverted for SD on the DVD edition. So now we can offer them all in HD, which is a very generous option that Lionsgate has allowed me to exercise.

3. The Deleted Scenes section has been expanded and updated to include a series of moments that were featured on the film's TV Version that were not included on the previous DVD's Deleted Scenes section. Also the Storyboard Seqeunce now includes a direct picture-in-picture comparison between the storyboards and the final scene from the movie itself.

4. MONSTER SQUAD FOREVER!, the feature-length doc has been given a spit polish and nip and tuck here and there and features some footage not seen in the original version. Again everything was shot in HD, and its looking so much better than it did on the original DVD. It also plays a lot better and without as much repetitive information as before. The post-production on this doc was extremely rushed back in the day, and this version represents what would have been the final edit had I had a little more time to finesse the final product. The time crunch was no one's fault, it was just a reality due to the project's expansion from a one-disc set to a two-disc set late in the game.

5. The transfer of the film itself is a big time WOW. Fred Dekker went back in to give this transfer his final OK (another generous offer from Lionsgate) and it simply blows the previous version out of the water...as you'd expect, but seriously it's a winner.

6. Normally I wouldn't get too excited about menus, but wait til you see what Lionsgate and Fred Dekker have cooked up for the BD menus on SQUAD. Really affectionate and kick-ass stuff!

So I sincerely hope you'll all consider a SQUAD upgrade in November. Trust me, it will be worth it!

Michael Felsher
Red Shirt Pictures

fceurich39
11-26-2009, 01:25 AM
awesome news i was just gonna skip the extras as just watch the movie but now i'll watch the whole damn blu-ray

spawningblue
11-26-2009, 04:57 PM
So is the doc missing some stuff? "It also plays a lot better and without as much repetitive information as before."

BlackAndBlu81
11-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Yeah Slippy said that he trimmed a few scenes down. So basically its the DC of the documentory thats on the blu-ray.

chrismac87
11-27-2009, 12:33 AM
So is the doc missing some stuff? "It also plays a lot better and without as much repetitive information as before."

It is missing stuff yes, but it was all things that had already been said by someone else by the sound of it. I watched the doc today and trust me, you won't feel like anything was left out.

Wez4555
11-28-2009, 02:20 AM
MBV is sooo mine!

MorallySound
11-28-2009, 03:27 AM
Just checked out Cujo on Blu-ray tonight. Looked pretty great! Colours were vibrant and quite a bit of clarity. This was my first time viewing the film and I enjoyed it immensely!

rhett
11-28-2009, 03:55 AM
Just checked out Cujo on Blu-ray tonight. Looked pretty great! Colours were vibrant and quite a bit of clarity. This was my first time viewing the film and I enjoyed it immensely!

Jan de Bont's cinematography definitely rocked the boat, Blu-ray would make for a great first viewing for sure. Glad you liked it. I'm going to try and get to reviewing this, but first thing's first: MY BLOODY VALENTINE.

MorallySound
11-28-2009, 04:00 AM
Jan de Bont's cinematography definitely rocked the boat, Blu-ray would make for a great first viewing for sure. Glad you liked it. I'm going to try and get to reviewing this, but first thing's first: MY BLOODY VALENTINE.

Agreed, de Bont's cinematography was great!

Cujo108
11-28-2009, 04:04 AM

Cujo should take priority over MBV, a slasher that gets less impressive with each viewing. :p Hell, I haven't even gotten around to viewing the unrated cut of that one yet.

rhett
11-28-2009, 04:12 AM
I haven't even gotten around to viewing the unrated cut of that one yet.

Neither have I, which is really bad. If I don't watch it now I may as well revoke my slasher historian card. Plus, I've already reviewed the Cujo: SE DVD.

Less impressive with every viewing? Always a man for controversy, aren't you Cuje!

Cujo108
11-28-2009, 04:44 AM
Hey, I actually used to be a big fan! At one point, I wanted it uncut more than any of the F13 flicks. How times have changed.

I forgot about the Cujo review.

Matt89
11-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Cujo should take priority over MBV, a slasher that gets less impressive with each viewing. :p Hell, I haven't even gotten around to viewing the unrated cut of that one yet.

You know what? I totally get what you're saying. I hadn't watched My Bloody Valentine in years (even when I bought the unrated DVD, I just watched the unrated scenes) but I bought the blu-ray last week and gave the entire film a watch after not having seen it in maybe 6 years. Maybe it's overhyped? I dunno, but I seriously didn't like it as much as I thought I did (or used to). It's all just really cheesy (especially the ending song) and the acting's really nothing special. The guy who played TJ is actually PAINFULLY bad at acting. I just remembered it being a lot better.

However, there are other slashers I've revisited recently that I was never really fond of, but found myself enjoying much more this time around. The Initiation and The Prowler are two examples. Sure The Prowler is rather slow, but the performances are actually very good (I was surprised, but this film features a bunch of pretty strong actors), the gore effects are phenomenal and the entire film has a really effectively creepy atmosphere. I also really love the ending, it's just perfect. The Initiation is still pretty strong in my books. Never liked the film before, but I recently gave it a watch and didn't think it was as bad as I remember it being.

Cujo, however, gets better with every viewing. Such an effective film. Same with Friday the 13th - The Final Chapter. I find myself loving that film more and more each time I watch it (although I don't watch it too often) I still think it's probably the best Friday the 13th (next to part 2) and definitely one of the greatest slashers ever made. Strong film.

~Matt

chrismac87
11-28-2009, 11:39 PM
I have to call ditto on this one.

MY BLOODY VALENTINE is one of those movies I saw and kind of went "Meh, it was all right for what it was", and the more I saw it, the less I found to like about it.

When the unrated DVD came out, I was all over it because of the obvious hype that was behind those cut scenes. After I watched it, my thoughts were pretty much, "That was it? It's still not that great!".

I don't know, this is just one of those great big slasher films that never really appealed to me. Maybe it's a nostalgia factor for some people but the killings aside, this is a pretty poor film. I actually like the remake of this a lot more than the original. I mean, it's got Tom Atkins, it already has something going for it before the first frame begins.

fceurich39
11-29-2009, 01:21 AM
i usually just watch the original every valentine's day once a year. i like this movie alot more than some slasher filmsand compare to mainly the first F13TH. the kill scenes/uncut scenes are much better in my bloody valentine than friday the 13th's uncut scenes but overall friday the 13th wins as a very slightly better movie with mainly the music score and great shock ending

i also prefer the 3D remake to the original not by much but it would be if the my bloody valentine 3D ending was alot better

I decided to get the blu-ray of cujo that movie never gets tired and old. I can't stand movies with violence toward animals and this movie has never bothered me probably because cujo is so vicious i don't even see him as a dog in it i just wish since this is a republic/lionsgate blu-ray release is why they didn't incude the few extra scenes in the movie like on the republic vhs tape

Stige
11-29-2009, 10:52 AM
I'm sitting here debating whether or not to order the blu's of cujo and MBV...... actually waiting for rhetts review. On Imbd there was a place who said it was barely un upgrade for MBV

fceurich39
11-29-2009, 03:36 PM
i think the picture quality is alot better on both blu-rays

gunner
11-29-2009, 04:01 PM
I assure you, MBV is a huge A/V upgrade!! Even if you don't have an hdtv. The movie has aged well with me personally, I even still like the Gordon Lightfoot-ish jingle at the end credits. Perhaps bad acting is the way of life for blue collared mine workers, I thought they all did a fantastic, unrepeatable job. I did kinda like the new 3-D one, but it lacked the charm of the original. And of course, I was all over Cujo too.

Stige
11-29-2009, 05:07 PM
ok both are good for repeat veiwings , I was thinking of detail in back ground and sound

I have a full HD Tv receiver with decoding for truhd, dts master etc

are these both region A/B/C?

Matt89
11-29-2009, 06:04 PM
Yeah, they're all region A, B, C encoded.

~Matt

kiddvideo
11-29-2009, 06:48 PM
I assure you, MBV is a huge A/V upgrade!! Even if you don't have an hdtv. The movie has aged well with me personally, I even still like the Gordon Lightfoot-ish jingle at the end credits. Perhaps bad acting is the way of life for blue collared mine workers, I thought they all did a fantastic, unrepeatable job. I did kinda like the new 3-D one, but it lacked the charm of the original. And of course, I was all over Cujo too.

Agreed!

After being semi-disappointed with Friday the 13th 2 and 3 on Blu I didn't hold out much hope for MBV to be a big improvement... I got it last night and was blown away.

Mutilated Prey
11-29-2009, 10:05 PM
Agreed!

After being semi-disappointed with Friday the 13th 2 and 3 on Blu I didn't hold out much hope for MBV to be a big improvement... I got it last night and was blown away.
Disappointed with the Friday 13th Part 2 Blu? Really? I thought it was amazingly much better than the standard DVD.

rhett
11-29-2009, 11:53 PM
Here you go, guys:

http://horrordigital.com/viewarticle.php?articleid=804

Katatonia
11-30-2009, 12:36 AM
Agreed!

Friday the 13th 2? I thought it looked excellent on Blu-ray and a substantial upgrade from the old DVD's. I could understand feeling that way about the Friday the 13th 3 disc though.

cognitive77
11-30-2009, 01:55 AM
I found this posted over at the cheapassgamer forums regarding what's so special about the Monster Squad Blu-ray. It largely reiterates what's already been said here, but has a few other interesting tidbits:

Ha...I think I posted it over at CAG. I had found it elsewhere on another forum and posted it up at CAG.

Matt89
11-30-2009, 03:15 AM
Yeah really. Friday the 13th part 2 is probably one of the greatest DVD to blu-ray upgrades I've seen yet. It looks fantastic.

Maybe you meant the special features? Because they kinda sucked.

~Matt

Cujo108
11-30-2009, 01:58 PM
You know what? I totally get what you're saying. I hadn't watched My Bloody Valentine in years (even when I bought the unrated DVD, I just watched the unrated scenes) but I bought the blu-ray last week and gave the entire film a watch after not having seen it in maybe 6 years. Maybe it's overhyped? I dunno, but I seriously didn't like it as much as I thought I did (or used to). It's all just really cheesy (especially the ending song) and the acting's really nothing special. The guy who played TJ is actually PAINFULLY bad at acting. I just remembered it being a lot better.

However, there are other slashers I've revisited recently that I was never really fond of, but found myself enjoying much more this time around. The Initiation and The Prowler are two examples. Sure The Prowler is rather slow, but the performances are actually very good (I was surprised, but this film features a bunch of pretty strong actors), the gore effects are phenomenal and the entire film has a really effectively creepy atmosphere. I also really love the ending, it's just perfect. The Initiation is still pretty strong in my books. Never liked the film before, but I recently gave it a watch and didn't think it was as bad as I remember it being.

Oh yeah, a friend of mine wanted to see the movie a while back and we both had a laugh at how bad the guy playing TJ is. The fight scene between him and Axel comes off particularly poor. Overall though, the film nowadays just bores me more than anything.

The Initiation, on the other hand, has been one of my favorite slashers for years. I loved that one right off the bat, and it still holds up. In fact, I'm fairly certain Black Christmas is the only slasher I've watched more times than this one. A large part of why it works so well is the creepy mall setting. It's certainly unlike any mall I've ever been to. I'm big on The Prowler as well. I did used to think the middle of the film dragged pretty badly, but I've become more tolerant of it over the years.

rhett
11-30-2009, 05:44 PM

By law every Canadian is required to enjoy My Bloody Valentine. It's like paying taxes...it's something everyone must do.

Mutilated Prey
11-30-2009, 07:37 PM
By law every Canadian is required to enjoy My Bloody Valentine. It's like paying taxes...it's something everyone must do.

You tell 'em Guy.

fceurich39
11-30-2009, 09:47 PM
early details for the cabin fever unrated director's cut blu-ray
Lionsgate will cough up Eli Roth's 'Cabin Fever' onto the high-definition format on February 16.

The Blu-ray will feature 1080p video, a DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 soundtrack, and supplements will include a new audio commentary with the director and cast members, Beneath The Skin: The Making of Cabin Fever, and more!

Suggested list price for the Blu-ray is $19.99.

Kolpitz
12-01-2009, 09:16 PM
Best Buy has the BD of Cujo on sale for $9.99 this week, along with The Monster Squad and My Bloody Valentine BDs for $12.99.

Funktion
12-02-2009, 12:18 AM
Best Buy has the BD of Cujo on sale for $9.99 this week, along with The Monster Squad and My Bloody Valentine BDs for $12.99.
All 3 (as well as Near Dark) are $9.99 at Amazon.com.

Kolpitz
12-02-2009, 01:01 AM
All 3 (as well as Near Dark) are $9.99 at Amazon.com.

That Amazon thinks it's so much better than everyone else! Damn them and their cheap prices!