PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Bay Bashing

landrvr
01-17-2001, 03:53 AM
oh, how the times they are a changin'.

it wasn't more than a couple of months ago that, here at horrordvds.com, if you even so much as whispered that Anchor Bay wasn't the most amazing fucking company on the planet, you were castrated. now, just look at all the Anchor Bay bashing that's going on!!

i think Anchor Bay has always issued spotty releases. that goes without saying. but they have also had plenty of stellar ones as well. lately, they seem to be making a lot of just plain STUPID mistakes. perhaps there release volume/schedule is too aggressive?

what's everyone's take on this?

Mark Relford
01-17-2001, 04:18 AM
Anchor Bay is still cool in my book. I'm happy to have my favorites on DVD, thanks to them. Sure, they've fucked up on some of their releases, but the good outweighs the bad.
Of course, that's just my opinion. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

[This message has been edited by Mark Relford (edited 01-16-2001).]

Dave
01-17-2001, 04:27 AM
Yeh they're still top notch in my book too. People are overlooking some great releases from them recently - C.H.U.D., Sister, Sister, Halloween 5...to name a few. I've also briefly looked at their Agatha Chrstie DVDs coming next month and those seem to be great thus far.

Mistakes are bound to happen. They're fixing it, which I think is great. The Sleepaway Camp cuts bothered me, but they did make an interesting point when I questioned them about it - not even the DIRECTOR of the movie, OR the webmaster to some Sleepaway Camp web site, noticed the cuts. Yes, they should've compared it to the past VHS release. They didn't, and they couldn't justify the repressing. Don't like it? Sell it on ebay.

Given all the great releases they've given us, some mistakes are bound to happen. If their releases get to the point where they starting looking like some of their very first DVD releases, I'll be the first to start screaming.

The Better Tomorrow problem is a big one, but they're fixing it. What else do you want?

------------------
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com (http://www.horrordvds.com)

Jason25
01-17-2001, 05:35 AM
I absolutely love Anchor Bay. Are they perfect? No. Do they try their best to release a high quality product? Yes.

It never ceases to amaze me the stupidity of some people. I learned a long time ago in life that you can't please everyone and how true that is. There is always someone who has to bitch about something, whether it is about the Tins, or transfers, or audio tracks, it will always be something. My response to these individuals is this, don't buy their dvds then! I could care less. More copies for everyone else. Anchor Bay has come a long way and has tried to please genre film fans by releasing cult or low budget movies and making the dvd release look and sound fantastic. I'm not saying they are perfect but they are damn close and I appreciate their efforts. If you want to bash a company that consistently under performs and outright screws consumers then pick on MGM, Paramount, or Disney.

Alan Smithee
01-17-2001, 06:04 AM
I think Anchor Bay's good product far outweighs their bad product. Who else would give films like Repo Man, Evil Dead 2, The Beyond, Let Sleeping Corpses Lie, Army of Darkness and others the special edition treatment? I enjoy my copies of these films very much, and I appreciate the hard work that Anchor Bay has obviously put into them. NO ONE is perfect, and I think that's part of Anchor Bay's problem. I think that they consistently put out such a good product that when they do slip up and make a mistake, (which was bound to happen sometime) people get pretty pissed off about it. Anchor Bay's customers need to realize that no one is perfect, but at the same time Anchor Bay needs to realize that they have establised standards of excellence for their product and they must continually strive to perform at or above those standards.

napalm68
01-17-2001, 10:37 AM
Anchor Bay will earn my undying distaste if they release an Evil Dead Box Set with extra DVD material only available on the box which is not available in any of their other numerous releases of the individual films, and not for sale separately. That would not be cool. I have supported them for a long time, but that would be pushing it too far.

They release great stuff, and I appreciate that. In fact, a great chunk of my collection is Anchor Bay - more than any other company. They release some great films.

------------------
Oh no, mother! Blood!

Grampa Gruesome
01-17-2001, 05:57 PM
I don't understand why anyone would bash Anchor Bay's transfers. I can see why fans of Sleepaway Camp might be bothered but the few cuts that were overlooked, but anything else is, in my opinion, tedious complaining at best. Oh no! A few seconds were cut from Tenebrae because of print damage! Now we're missing a stab from one of the murder scenes. How awful. The end credits to Deep Red were freeze-framed and now I can't see Hemmings' reflection as he plays around with the blood! I'm sorry, but to me, this stuff is fairly insignificant, especially considering the pivotal fact that these films were released on DVD at all.

Anchor Bay is a national treasure for horror fans, especially Eurohorror fans who, until now, have had to track down shitty VHS bootlegs to satisfy their curiosity. I can respect the fact that "purists" get bothered by anything being cut (even a few frames), but I really don't think these "cuts" have much of an effect on the overall quality of the films in which they appear. Anchor Bay cannot be bashed for their transfers, nor can they bashed for the effort they make in finding out what films fans want and taking the time to find the best prints they can. Look at Deep Red, Inferno, and Halloween (to name a few). Those transfers were amazing!

I am better able to understand why people dislike their business methods. One of the issues I have with AB is the number of releases they have of the same films. Evil Dead and Dawn of the Dead being the best examples. I'm tired of buying what I believe to be a definitive edition only to find out that a year or two later they'll get re-released with more stuff. That does piss me off, but I also understand that probably for financial reasons, they decided not to wait until they had all the stuff they could get to release the DVDs. It's also pronbably their way of testing the market - make a cheaper DVD of Dawn of the Dead, see how it sells and based on that, decide to invest more time and money on a better DVD.

Oh yeah, and re-releasing Army of Darkness Director's Cut on a separate DVD was a low blow to all the people who bought the 2-DVD set thinking it was their only way to get the Director's Cut. One last thing - fuck those tins. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/wink.gif

Mark Relford
01-17-2001, 07:05 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jason25:
It never ceases to amaze me the stupidity of some people. I learned a long time ago in life that you can't please everyone and how true that is. There is always someone who has to bitch about something, whether it is about the Tins, or transfers, or audio tracks, it will always be something. My response to these individuals is this, don't buy their dvds then! I could care less. More copies for everyone else.

Sad but true. I have friends who endlessly bash Anchor Bay, but still buy their DVDs.

If you want to bash a company that consistently under performs and outright screws consumers then pick on MGM, Paramount, or Disney.

Do these companies care about the horror fans? I don't think so.

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

DVD Connoisseur
01-17-2001, 08:58 PM
Anchor Bay + DVDs = Happy DVD Connoisseur

It's a simple equation but a truthful one. As I've said before, I love those guys - their customer care has been excellent and their releases are normally of a gobsmacking quality. They've slipped up occasionally but I still bought Sleepaway Camp as the transfer was pleasing and they did their best with the material provided.

I moaned about the news about A Better Tomorrow but they're fixing it. You can't ask for more.

(Can't wait for Manhunter - should be a cracker!)

Paff
01-18-2001, 06:14 AM
I feel the same way GG

If AB came out with a new version of Deep Red, completely the same except with proper closing credits, and didn't offer a free exchange, I'd keep my current version.

Some people do seem to nitpick a bit too much. I've heard people moan about the lack of extras on Deep Red as well, and the venom in which they're DEMANDING all sorts of extras on Suspiria is a bit frightening too.

And I've mentioned this before, but AB is not to blame for any cut scenes in Demons, Phenomena, or Tenebrae, since they're only direct ports of the Roan LDs.

Count me as one who's pretty damn happy with the work of Anchor Bay (who else would do a SPECIAL EDITION of Hell Night??)

DeepDownTraumaHound
01-18-2001, 06:55 AM
Oh geezus. Who the hell's complaining now? If it weren't for Anchor Bay these titles, deep red, phenomena, army of darkness, ect, may have ended up in the wrong hands, like troma. Be glad. Stop whining about tins and freeze frames and replacements. Sell the old ones on ebay when the new ones come out. Someone will buy them. Everyone screams and cries that they want the dvd of whichever title NOW! then they get it NOW, and later a better version comes out and they complain some more. Dont buy the tins, keep your old copies and be a cool anarchist against AB, and wallow in your complaints. You won't appreciate AB until MGM has our favorites. You'll NEVER see them if they do. or worse, troma will relase them and they'll look like unshined shit.