PDA

View Full Version : Help! Is there a freeware player that can read blu-ray?

Spitfire
11-13-2009, 04:41 AM
I just picked up a Blu-Ray drive for my computer but the software that came with it doesn't work . . . it says it needs an update to work and then when I download the update the update says its not compatible with that version of the software. So basically it doesn't work.

So does anyone know any freeware software (downloadable) that can read/play a blu-ray from the blu-ray drive?

Also, the program that came with it was Cyberlink Blu-Ray suite, but it just doesn't work. So I'd like anything as an alternative.

Katatonia
11-13-2009, 08:08 AM
Nope, no freeware that I know of that will play BD. There's basically PowerDVD, WinDVD, and ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre, maybe one or two programs and that's about it.

maybrick
11-13-2009, 02:10 PM
Sounds to me like you should simply return the drive. I kind of think that's bullshit!

Vlachio
11-13-2009, 02:14 PM
I bought a MSI DVD burner a while back. The piece of shit doesn't let me burn dvds! I had the same fucking problem with LITE ON! Fuck does anything freaking work anymore? Spitfire I totally feel your pain! Trouble shoot the best you can. If all else fails return the shit!

crikan
11-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Just recently picked up a Plextor PX-B310U External (http://www.amazon.com/Plextor-6X-Ext-USB-Combo/dp/B001J8V7CW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1258119732&sr=8-2) and I'm really enjoying it. Won't I don't care for is how PowerDVD is gimped when playing protected (or all) Blu-ray's. It does play the movies and looks beautiful and sounds great so I guess that' all that matters.

I looked for a freeware player and didn't have much luck. From what I found of my research your best bet is buying PowerDVD or Arcsoft's Total Media Theater (http://www.arcsoft.com/en-us/software_title.asp?ProductCode=TMT3P)

The other option is to use a program like DVDFab to convert your Blu-ray's to a different format, but I can't speak from experience with that one.

Spitfire
11-14-2009, 12:31 AM
Nope, no freeware that I know of that will play BD. There's basically PowerDVD, WinDVD, and ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre, maybe one or two programs and that's about it.

Thanks! Yeah, researched those programs. Liked Arcsoft.

Just recently picked up a Plextor PX-B310U External (http://www.amazon.com/Plextor-6X-Ext-USB-Combo/dp/B001J8V7CW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1258119732&sr=8-2) and I'm really enjoying it. Won't I don't care for is how PowerDVD is gimped when playing protected (or all) Blu-ray's. It does play the movies and looks beautiful and sounds great so I guess that' all that matters.

I looked for a freeware player and didn't have much luck. From what I found of my research your best bet is buying PowerDVD or Arcsoft's Total Media Theater (http://www.arcsoft.com/en-us/software_title.asp?ProductCode=TMT3P)

The other option is to use a program like DVDFab to convert your Blu-ray's to a different format, but I can't speak from experience with that one.

Thanks!

Yeah, really bummed that I haven't been able to play a Blu-Ray on it yet. So I'm downloading the Arcsoft Total Media Trial and see how a couple of movies play. Might get this one . . . though it's 99 dollars., the player alone was 129.

I do agree with you Maybrick, what a let down! But I already installed it and want to fix it instead of having to open the computer again and all that stuff.

Vlachio I'd suggest IMGBURN for your burner, it justs gets it done. But if the player was faulty, then we're in the same boat. I've been a week and haven't played a Bluray.

I'm sure a freeware player will be available soon. Thanks to everyone!!!!!:glasses:

Vlachio
11-14-2009, 01:00 PM
Vlachio I'd suggest IMGBURN for your burner, it justs gets it done. But if the player was faulty, then we're in the same boat.

Oh OK this is an extension of DVDdecrypter. Like I said I just want to be able to burn DVD's. I got allot of concerts I want to be able to burn. I've never been able to burn DVD's. Every time I tried the burner wigged out. I'd get a message "You don't have permission to burn incorrect extension!" I'm like WTF I paid for the damn burner! Anyway I'll keep you posted! Updated and installed now I just need to find my disks!

Soooooooooooo are you going to return your burner? Most stores only give you 15 days! So you betta make up your mind buh buh buddy. :eek2: