PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade from BluRay in the future?

inkmachine
11-16-2009, 12:56 AM
Howdy folks,

Ok...so...I just purchased a Bluray player a few weeks ago and have been happy with it so far.

But I got to thinking....with the current Bluray players and 1080p television sets, have we reached the peak of high definition or is there yet another new format in our future and televisions with higher than 1080p?

I have a 720p television right now. I'll probably be upgrading to 1080p within the next year. But, if there is something else on the horizon for higher definition, I don't want to waste money on upgrading now.

I'm aware of the new 3D sets coming next year, but those don't really interest me.

Any thoughts?

BlackAndBlu81
11-16-2009, 01:06 AM
After watching some of my blu's. I just dont see how they can make alot of these mo0vies look any better. Atleast not with the naked eye.

horrorlover
11-16-2009, 01:12 AM
I don't see how movies can look any better than blu ray. There wasn't a huge gap in quality between DVD and Blu ray even. I mean I have a blu ray player and movies do look better on blu ray, but it's not a huge gap. I think blu ray will be around for quite a while. Of couse I am sure someone will develop a new format, as a way to make some money off of movie fans yet again. I hope DVD and blu ray stay around for a long time, as I don't like to have to change formats very often. I haven't rebought any of my dvd's on blu ray. I don't plan to upgrade any of them really. That's the great thing about blu ray players, they also play DVD's!

Jason25
11-16-2009, 01:17 AM
Let's face it, there will always be something new at some point. Resolutions will keep getting higher, 3D, and so on. Just enjoy the films and let everything else run its course.

Grim
11-16-2009, 06:17 AM
Considering that 1080p is nowhere near the resolution of 35mm film, there is still plenty of progress to be made in terms of pic quality for the home market. Still, even when we do finally reach that point, like Jason25 said, I think they'll find a way to put something new out.

rxfiend
11-16-2009, 06:41 AM
Holograms!

Katatonia
11-16-2009, 07:44 AM
It'll be quite some time before a format above HD gains any real foothold. If you keep waiting and waiting, you're never going to enjoy anything.

ekent
11-16-2009, 01:15 PM
There is definitely some room for improvement. For starters, the films are still compressed into some form of codec. There will be no room for improvement once films are presented compression free, which would probably require a couple of terabytes I imagine.

Workshed
11-16-2009, 06:16 PM
http://www.medgadget.com/archives/img/Phantom%20Pain.jpg

DVDCannibal
11-16-2009, 06:24 PM
The next generation of bluray was showcased in Las Vegas recently and the word on the street is wait for this to be released as the quality is supposed to be phenomenal! The disks can hold 10 times more data than a conventional bluray disk and they are even capable of producing digital 3D movies on projection screens unlike current bluray disks that can only show 3D with the coloured glasses!

MacReady
11-16-2009, 10:46 PM
Good question. Heres what some guy that knows way more than me says:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080107153408AATtc62

35 mm film can be scanned at 2000-4000 line vertical resolution (compare to 1080), so there is still room for older movies to be improved past 1080p for digital presentation. Most masters being done now for Blu-ray and HD DVD are done at these resolutions (I've read that one recent movie -- I forget which one -- took over a terrabyte of storage, so disk capacity for such formats would still be an issue. Forget Blu-ray, think Digital Hollographic Disk (DHD).

There are actually several changes that will likely be made:

1) Colour Space: Blu-ray and HD DVD both use the BT709 colour space (that's basically the gamut of colours allowed to describe the images). This is a wider colour space than that used for DVD, but is still narrower than the xvYCC colour space that could be used (Sony HDTVs and some others are already being designed to handle this if program maetrial is made available). And since film captured these extra colours they are available to be put on "disk".

2) Colour Depth: HD DVD and Blu-ray are "8 bit" colour. That means each of the 3 primary primary colours can have 256 different gradiations or 16 million possible colours. While this sounds like plenty it can lead to banding when fine degrees of colour change are required. An increase to 10 bit (or more likely 12 bit) would give billions of colours ... solving any possible banding problems.

3) Resolution: As indicated above resolution improvements to 1440p or 2080p are quite possible. The latter is available now in commercial digital cinema projectors (starting at $110,000 each!).

I suspect the successor to Blu-ray/HD DVD isn't that far away, in the form of some combination of 1440p resolution and 10 or 12 bit xvYCC colour.

In the long term 3D or even holographic imaging is potentially possible.

So ... bottom line ... there is a lot of improvement still possible. Whether much of it will be quick or financially viable is another question. After all some people are still using VCRs and Laserdisks. Probably a premium niche format initially ... with gradual adoption by others as hardware catches up at the average consumer level. That said, probably 5 years minimum.

KamuiX
11-16-2009, 11:27 PM
I think whatever the next step is will result in only a niche market. Let's face it, I really don't think average people would be switching to Blu-Ray players now if HD wasn't becoming so prevalent in the media and broadcast TV. The next evolution will require all-new TV's and players, and I just DON'T see it taking hold like this new generation of HD has. DVD worked so well because it was compatible with the old TV standard, and even that was a fluke that it actually went mainstream since LD didn't. The next evolution that takes hold will have to present a huge leap in quality and make sense to the general public for it EVER to take precedent over the current HD and BR model.

Katatonia
11-17-2009, 12:21 AM
I think whatever the next step is will result in only a niche market. Let's face it, I really don't think average people would be switching to Blu-Ray players now if HD wasn't becoming so prevalent in the media and broadcast TV. The next evolution will require all-new TV's and players, and I just DON'T see it taking hold like this new generation of HD has. DVD worked so well because it was compatible with the old TV standard, and even that was a fluke that it actually went mainstream since LD didn't. The next evolution that takes hold will have to present a huge leap in quality and make sense to the general public for it EVER to take precedent over the current HD and BR model.

I agree. And most people are only now (or recently) upgrading to HD and/or Blu-ray. There are also tons of people out there who are still, and I quote "waiting for the prices to come down" even though things are pretty affordable now. It will easily be many years away before any new resolution gains any real foothold in the public and with studios.

2D4EVER
11-17-2009, 05:30 AM
There will be improvements especially in the disc formats (ie more disc space so less or even no compression needed) but as for 1080p I feel that this is the ideal resolution for years or even a decade or more to come. Yes there is 2k and 4k but on a regular size tv most people will probably not be able to tell the difference from 1080p. Now if you have your own projector then yes you will see a difference. But at the average household consumers won't be impressed enough to shell out a big premium over 1080p tvs.