PDA

View Full Version : Warner launches DVD2BLU Program!

Nailwraps
11-17-2009, 05:50 PM
Big news!:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3749

"Warner Home Video has announced that they have launched a new program which allows owners trade in their Warner DVD titles for Blu-ray upgrades for as little as $7.95. To take advantage of the program, owners will be required to identify which titles they want to upgrade through the DVD2Blu site, and then mail-in their DVD discs to show proof of ownership. In 4-5 weeks they will receive Blu-ray copies of those same titles.

Dorinda Marticorena, Senior Vice President, Worldwide Marketing and High Definition, Warner Home Video, commented, "DVD2Blu is a great way for consumers to start or expand their Blu-ray Disc collection. We're launching the program with a wide range of titles that will appeal to a broad audience. In the coming months, we're looking to expand the program and make additional titles available."

The program works similar to Warner's previous Red2Blu program which allowed HD DVD owners to trade in their discs for Blu-ray versions. Upgrade prices range from $7.95 to $9.95, depending on the titles selected, and will include free shipping with any order over $25 (a prepaid label is provided to mail in your DVDs to Warner). Currently, there are over 50 titles eligible for this upgrade program, with more being added in the weeks to come.

To participate, please visit DVD2Blu.com and start upgrading to Blu-ray!"

pwrslave
11-17-2009, 06:25 PM
Wow, that is a really great idea. WB is actually looking out for their customers, about time a company does...

Matt89
11-17-2009, 06:30 PM
Yeah, but I mean...could they have done this any earlier? I've already replaced Deliverance, Bonnie & Clyde, Blade Runner, Dog Day Afternoon, A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, 2001, Casablanca, Twister, The Perfect Storm...so it's to the point where this program is pretty pointless for me. Oh well...

~Matt

Matt89
11-17-2009, 06:32 PM
There are also a bunch I've already sold off in hopes of getting the blu-ray. Fuck this makes me angry more than anything. Whatever, it's a nice gesture from the company I guess.

~Matt

Matt89
11-17-2009, 06:36 PM
And they don't ship to Canada, surprise surprise.

~Matt

crikan
11-17-2009, 06:47 PM
Best Buy has been selling many Blu-ray's for $9.99 over the past few months so it's not that great a deal.

Mutilated Prey
11-17-2009, 06:56 PM
I will gladly trade in my old Shining snap case full screen poop for the Blu :)

Mutilated Prey
11-17-2009, 07:05 PM
Actually, gonna have to wait for them to add a few more titles to get over $25. $5 shipping on one Blu! WTF!!!!

Workshed
11-17-2009, 08:00 PM
Wow, that's a really cool idea.

Reverenddave
11-17-2009, 09:00 PM
I did this when they offered the Red2Blu (HD-DVD to Blu-Ray) trade in. Took about 8 month to receive since one of the titles was always out of stock.

Last time you just had to mail them the artwork, so you got to keep the disc and case. Sounds like this time you mail the DVD.

And the prices aren't that good this time around. $8-10 per movie. Many of them are already selling for $10 at Amazon.

Darga
11-17-2009, 09:31 PM
Didn't they start doing this a while ago, or was that someone else?

spawningblue
11-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Yeah this makes them look good but actually is pretty crappy.

1. They Don't ship to Canada!?
2. Prices are terrible! Almost all of those can be found for the same price, so why go to all the trouble to ship them your DVDs. Probably be better to sell them off and use the money to just buy the Blu Rays from Amazon. For the HD trade in they were only $5 to get the Blu upgrade, so for some reason they have doubled the price even though Blu Ray prices have dropped!?
3. Shipping is expensive, $5 each! Only worth it if you have more then $25 worth.
4. Too little too late. This should have been done a while ago as like Matt said, most of these have been cheap for a while now so most have already bought the Blu Rays and sold off their DVDs or gave them away.

Mutilated Prey
11-17-2009, 10:00 PM
I actually found someone at work that has 3 Warners they wanna upgrade. Add my Shining to that and we're over $25 - free shipping and I get the Blu for 50% cheaper than Amazon is selling it for.

Anaestheus
11-17-2009, 10:55 PM
Wow, this "could" be a great deal. However, it is limited to 25 per household. I can understand that. But, still, I've got hundreds of DVDs from WB. Seriously. So, just going off the list they have up there now, I'm at 15 discs. But, if they are going to increase the list as time goes by, I could exhaust my 25 long before they add "Batman Begins" to the list. And I'd really prefer to have that in Blu as opposed to "Ocean's Thirteen"

The second, more anal retentive side of me doesn't want to break up the nice box sets I have for films like The Searchers and the Superman tin. Perhaps I am just crazy there.

But, I will definitely do it for the Kubrick films, if I can off load some of the discs from my old Kubrick boxset. I'd still hold on to the old Shining though as there is justifiable debate that the aspect ratio there may be Kubrick's preferred.

Katatonia
11-17-2009, 11:47 PM
Warner Blu-rays are quite often dirt cheap at Amazon and Hastings when they're on sales. I could save more by simply trading the old DVD's in for store credit, and not messing around with mailing them off.

I'm also weary of ordering more Blu-rays direct from Warner. They pack larger orders in loose oversized bubble mailers and half the time the cases are damaged, and on my last order I received one Blu-ray disc that was actually SLICED IN HALF! I don't understand how that happened, as it was still sealed but the disc inside looked as if someone had sliced it in half with a straight razor.

Mutilated Prey
06-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Good deal going on now - any amount Blu's (trade in your old standard version) for $4.95 each and free shipping. Might be time to trade in my Shining and Terminator 3 DVD's :)

http://www.dvd2blu.com/index.html

Stige
06-11-2010, 09:05 PM
hmm no use , live in norway

satans-sadists
06-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Good deal going on now - any amount Blu's (trade in your old standard version) for $4.95 each and free shipping. Might be time to trade in my Shining and Terminator 3 DVD's :)

http://www.dvd2blu.com/index.html

I traded in 5 titles a few weeks ago. Still waiting for mine. Should be shortly since the expected wait time is 4 - 5 weeks. It's free shipping to mail in your discs, but a flat $4.95 to ship your order to you.

I didn't bother trading in True Romance and History of Violence. Read some horrible reviews of both Blu-rays.

Shannafey
06-13-2010, 04:16 PM
This isn't that great of a deal, as most of these titles have already been released a couple of times on DVD and you have to have the newer releases to qualify. Also, these are titles that usually go on sale for under $10 anyway. Lastly, look up reviews on these titles and most aren't much better than the DVD releases. All in all, WB is screwing people, since they will probably either eventually upgrade to a better Blu Ray for these titles or they realized that people who actually care about Blu Ray quality (which is a majority of us who bought players) won't buy substandard titles, since we went to Blu for higher quality in the first place!

Regurgitate
06-13-2010, 04:26 PM
It figures that I would not own a single DVD on that list. I do have the older version of 2001 but I already have the Blu Ray. I'm surprised that Universal/Paramount never offered a similar program as Red2Blu.

Nailwraps
08-18-2010, 04:09 PM
There's now a DVD2Blu program for TV shows!:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5012