PDA

View Full Version : Neverending Story in March

Dave
12-01-2009, 11:11 PM
http://www.amazon.com/The-Neverending-Story-Blu-ray/dp/B002Z7FM68/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1259705417&sr=8-4

GOOD TIMES! :banana:

2D4EVER
12-01-2009, 11:38 PM
Finally (also good job on the cover if that is the final version). My pants are getting tight.

sumo8675309
12-01-2009, 11:38 PM
grand ,now i can cry at the "swamp of sadness" scene in 1080p

come to think about it there were alot of films i watched growing up that had the same effect

Dave
12-02-2009, 12:22 AM
Life is good. I'm glad I jumped on board for hd-dvd and then blu. Prices are insanely good, especially if you wait a few months after release. So many $9.99 titles on Amazon right now I am going nuts trying to restrain myself.

But really, Monster Squad and Night of the Creeps in HD? Not to mention countless other horror classics getting so much love! All I need now is Suspiria!

And, AND, to top it off, I just recently acquired the Subspecies 1-3 HD airings from Monsters HD. Oh yes, life is good!

rhett
12-02-2009, 12:44 AM
Haha, it always goes back to Subspecies with Dave...

Awesome news on The NeverEnding Story. That's one movie I'll definitely upgrade; should look great in 1080p!

Shlockjock81
12-02-2009, 12:54 AM
That will be one SWEET ass BD! Now we just need the ultimate edition of Ridley Scott's "Legend" on BD and all will be right with the world.

Katatonia
12-02-2009, 02:09 AM
Great news! This is one I've eagerly been awaiting on Blu. And comes out a day before my 35th birthday, lol :nervous:

Clash of the Titans is also coming out on the same day, in a Digibook.

2D4EVER
02-28-2010, 09:57 AM
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-NeverEnding-Story-Blu-ray-Review/8478/

First review I've seen. Video quality looks very, very good and thankfully improved over the Netherlands version. The major disappointment is zero special features. Amazingly not even a trailer is included. Of course that won't stop me from buying it but this movie deserved better in the extras department. At least some the fabled special features from the oop German 2 disc release would have been nice. Most disturbing news of all though is this: http://us.imdb.com/title/tt1386664/

Katatonia
02-28-2010, 10:38 AM
Mine shipped on Friday and will be here on Tuesday. Can't wait to see it in HD!

I can't believe that Warner didn't add any features, but then again they do that with many of their Blu-ray releases of older films.

2D4EVER
02-28-2010, 11:54 AM
Mine shipped on Friday and will be here on Tuesday. Can't wait to see it in HD!

I can't believe that Warner didn't add any features, but then again they do that with many of their Blu-ray releases of older films.

Amazon? I have had it in my cart forever but I guess I'll pull the trigger now. I figured it would have dropped in price though. Believe me I have no problem paying $18 for it but it should be more like $15 or even $12 like the Dark Crystal/Labyrinth blu rays (both of which have a ton of extras).

Dave
02-28-2010, 02:02 PM
Going to wait for the inevitable and likely quick price drop. I want it bad but I'm not in a huge rush to watch it.

Katatonia
02-28-2010, 04:41 PM
Amazon? I have had it in my cart forever but I guess I'll pull the trigger now. I figured it would have dropped in price though. Believe me I have no problem paying $18 for it but it should be more like $15 or even $12 like the Dark Crystal/Labyrinth blu rays (both of which have a ton of extras).

Yes, Amazon. I'm not one to fret over waiting and saving only a few dollars. ;)

2D4EVER
03-12-2010, 07:57 AM
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2861/neverendingstory_1984.html

I have to say that this is possibly one of the most wrongheaded reviews of The Neverending Story I've ever read. I mainly use that site for their views on the video quality instead of their reviews but this one bugged me. What terrible puppetry is he speaking of? Gmork maybe but you hardly see him in the movie and Falcor still looks great to me as well as almost every setpiece. Geared towards children? Of course. It's a childrens movie you fucking idiot. But despite that I feel this is a movie for all ages plus several scenes are known to make grown men cry like the Swamp of Sorrow or a depressed Rockbiter talking about his failure to save his friend and ultimately consigns himself to death (basically he is committing suicide). I hope bad reviews like this don't persuade new viewers from picking the movie up. It deserves to be seen by this generation.

fart_mike
03-12-2010, 04:30 PM
(Most disturbing news of all though is this: http://us.imdb.com/title/tt1386664/)

i noticed, upon reading this horrible news, a link as follows..."See complete list of 7,200 in-development titles"

i didn't click for fear of seeing 7,198 remakes of beloved movies for the unoriginal hollywood buttsuckers to regurgitate...

rhett
03-12-2010, 07:41 PM
There is no way you could slough this film off as a children's movie. It goes to some pretty dark places, and yeah, there's a fair bit of emotional tragedy injected throughout. Even when people aren't dying, just the whole idea of a world completely disappearing is pretty damn affecting. In this PC age of light popcorn kids flicks, this still stands out as a bold and beautiful exploration of themes that would make even the Grimms proud.

I haven't had a chance to go through the Blu-ray completely, but popping it in it looks pretty good. It's not crisp enough to jump out of the screen, but the vivid colors are well represented here.

2D4EVER
03-13-2010, 12:35 AM
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4284

Wow. Warner didn't even tell Petersen they were doing a blu ray release.

Matt89
03-13-2010, 12:52 AM
Yeah, that's pretty disappointing. I love the stupid comments tho about how "you can't expect them to put so much effort into every release." Sure they can. It's a fuckin economy. You give people shitty product, you get shit right back. Garbage in, garbage out. If they took the time and money to make this a wicked special edition, they'd definitely make back a lot of money. Love how one guy said, "It's not even that popular a movie." Oh, I beg to differ. Fucking idiot.

~Matt

Grim
03-13-2010, 01:35 AM
Despite the complete lack of extras, I'm happy I got this. I haven't seen it in years and it looked and sounded great. $18 well spent. I'll probably double dip down the line if they perhaps if they release an SE that includes the longer German version as well. If not, I'm content with this. Still, sucks for big fans of the film that they've had to deal with bare bones releases for over a decade now.

2D4EVER
03-13-2010, 02:50 AM
Despite the complete lack of extras, I'm happy I got this. I haven't seen it in years and it looked and sounded great. $18 well spent. I'll probably double dip down the line if they perhaps if they release an SE that includes the longer German version as well. If not, I'm content with this. Still, sucks for big fans of the film that they've had to deal with bare bones releases for over a decade now.

I agree. For me just the video quality upgrade is worth it to me. I will double dip immediately if they decide to do the right thing and put out a special edition but I don't hold out much hope for that.

rhett
03-15-2010, 06:31 PM
Here's my review:

http://rhettview.blogspot.com/2010/03/neverending-story-blu-ray.html

The video is solid, but it was the remixed 5.1 audio that really impressed me. A full and directional mix, it is...