PDA

View Full Version : Do you like DVD with your Blu-ray?

rhett
12-03-2009, 01:51 AM
The big debate in the format wars these days seems to be what to do with DVDs when you upgrade to Blu-ray. A few companies have started introducing alternatives, whether it be sending your DVDs in for a rebate (Warner Brothers) or including the standard definition version along with the Blu-ray (Universal and Fox). And when it comes to including the DVD, some are putting it on flipper discs (Universal) and others including a second DVD disc in the package. Where do you stand? When you upgrade, what do you want?

Matt89
12-03-2009, 02:00 AM
When I replace a film on blu-ray, I can honestly care less about the DVD. I usually sell them off to a used DVD/bookstore in downtown Toronto (there are tons of places that give you decent money for your DVDs). There's one place that gives you about $3-6 for a DVD when you sell it off. So if you sell off in bulk, sometimes I've come out of that place with $50-100. I usually just wait until I have a pile-up of DVDs that I've replaced on blu-ray and go over to this store and just sell them all in bulk.

But yeah, totally against that stupid bullshit that Universal is pulling. If you're going to replace a film on blu-ray or buy it on blu-ray, why the fuck would you need the DVD? Stupid.

~Matt

othervoice1
12-03-2009, 02:01 AM
If I had to pick one it would be having a standalone dvd version included as long as it didnt affect the price or was only a dollar or two more. Just like movies that come with digital copies they seem (on average) to cost more when they first come out but then usually drop in price just like all the other bluray movies on the market. The MAJORITY of people still do not have blu-ray players so if you wanted to take your movie to a friend or family members or a girlfriends (wherever) its nice to have a dvd as well you can use. You can also use really inexpensive software to put a regular dvd on an ipod so they can act as a digital copy (thus the dvd over a digital copy would be my choice). Also I dont have an HDTV or bluray player in my bedroom so I can choose to pop the regular dvd in if I want to watch something in bed instead of in the living room. Not to mention portable dvd players or dvd players in vans (for kids) etc etc - dvds still have a lot of advantages and including one I feel is really good.

Katatonia
12-03-2009, 02:46 AM
As long as the price isn't increased, I don't mind a DVD coming with a Blu-ray at all. If I want to bring the movie over and watch at a friend's, I can then.

I really don't care for Flipper discs though, and Digital Copy discs are a complete waste that I'll never use.

Undeadcow
12-03-2009, 03:03 AM
Staying with DVD for now, sure it's a losing battle but there are some great deals to be had now on standard definition and the cost of HD upgrade seems out there.

fceurich39
12-03-2009, 03:12 AM
certain titles i keep if i upgrade to blu-ray

don't really care if a dvd is pacjaged with a blu-ray disc

MisterTwister
12-03-2009, 04:02 AM
I'm sticking with DVD.

HellRazor
12-03-2009, 04:19 AM
I've upgraded to blu but DVDs are still handy for my portable DVD player when I travel. Plus I have more DVD players than Blu Ray players (but not for long mo-hahaha).

rxfiend
12-03-2009, 04:23 AM
Universal did it best with their Coraline release. A 2 disc set, one disc was blu ray, the second disc was standard DVD and it also had a digital copy. So 3 formats on 2 discs. That should be the model for major releases IMO.

Grim
12-03-2009, 04:49 AM
I have no use for the DVD once I have the blu, unless it's something substantial like the DOTD box set. I am finding the digital copies more useful these days, though, as I plan on moving across the country in about a year and I won't be able to take all my movies with me. Having a hard drive with all my favorites will prove very valuable and the digital copy saves me of having to go through the trouble of ripping it or dl'ing it from torrents.

Body Boy
12-03-2009, 04:51 AM
I'm sticking with DVD. Sure, BluRay looks super in hi-def, but I prefer my horror with a little grittiness and more of a film feel than a digital.

Grim
12-03-2009, 04:59 AM
I'm sticking with DVD. Sure, BluRay looks super in hi-def, but I prefer my horror with a little grittiness and more of a film feel than a digital.

Blu-ray would only make that experience better. An increased resolution won't make something that was shot on film more "digital." In fact, the increased clarity would only reveal more of the grittiness and grain that you like and brings it one step closer to the original theatrical experience.

Matt89
12-03-2009, 05:18 AM
Yeah, a DVD looks FAR more "digital" than blu-ray does. Actually, most blu-rays don't look digital at all. Look at something like Friday the 13th on blu-ray and you'll see the beautiful film-like grain the transfer has. Like you're watching it on 35mm.

~Matt

Body Boy
12-03-2009, 07:09 AM
Hmm. Well then. I will have to try out more discs.

Stige
12-03-2009, 11:08 AM
one of each just in case
you never know from what I have read bluray hasn't exploded in the market yet and if it does turn out to be a niche thing then a dvd included is good for when you need a new player and if they decide to stop making them. Still kicking myself because I didn't whip out a credit card and buy a laserdisc player when that was the thing.....

DVD-fanatic-9
12-03-2009, 11:19 AM
It's stupid to buy a Blu-Ray thinking the regular DVD as an extra is a good thing... unless you plan to sell it. So, who does this?

As for me, I'm still staying with DVD until I get rich. And the companies put out good replacements so I don't need the discs I already have.

NightAndFog
12-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Im with Matt89 on this.He spoke the truth ;)
Once you see a movie on Blu ray (in my case it was the remake of The Last House On The Left) there's no goin' back.No possible return to that old standard format.

rxfiend
12-03-2009, 05:18 PM
It's good to have a DVD for portable devices and for rooms that don't have blu players. So having a DVD copy is a good thing IMO.

Workshed
12-03-2009, 05:51 PM
for those of us who are still waiting, I like the idea of a standard and Blu-ray package--two sep. discs. I'd be buying a lot more DVDs if they came with a Blu-ray for when I eventually upgrade.

X-human
12-03-2009, 06:04 PM
I don't really need the DVD version, most of my friends and family have Blu-ray players. This trend will only continue. Certain situations I'd consider sending in the SD-DVD for a rebate of some sorts.

Fumi
12-03-2009, 08:15 PM
I bought one Blu ray and noticed that on my 32", 720p TV, there's no visible difference. (Thankfully my Blu ray player is a PS3, and I do really love my games in hi-def.) So that's it for me, until I get a bigger TV, which may not be for some time. I've always been perfectly satisfied with DVD, and the selection of movies on Blu ray is still extremely limited - at least for us who aren't interested in Hollywood's latest remakes.

fattyjoe37
12-03-2009, 10:46 PM
Sticking with DVD

philxus
12-03-2009, 11:12 PM
[QUOTE=Matt89;621464]When I replace a film on blu-ray, I can honestly care less about the DVD. I usually sell them off to a used DVD/bookstore in downtown Toronto (there are tons of places that give you decent money for your DVDs). There's one place that gives you about $3-6 for a DVD when you sell it off. So if you sell off in bulk, sometimes I've come out of that place with $50-100. I usually just wait until I have a pile-up of DVDs that I've replaced on blu-ray and go over to this store and just sell them all in bulk.

But yeah, totally against that stupid bullshit that Universal is pulling. If you're going to replace a film on blu-ray or buy it on blu-ray, why the fuck would you need the DVD? Stupid.

So you can watch the dvd on your portable dvd player or laptop when out camping or something.At least that you can play Blue-Ray on them.:e

evildeadfan123
12-03-2009, 11:13 PM
Right now I'm sticking with DVD, because I am waiting for blu-ray to go down in price.

HellRazor
12-03-2009, 11:24 PM
It's stupid to buy a Blu-Ray thinking the regular DVD as an extra is a good thing...

So what is stupid about getting something extra for the same price?

Yeah, it would be stupid if they are charging you more for something you don't want or need, but I haven't seen any of these where the cost is any different than other Blu's.

More > less in my book, whether you have any use for the DVD copy or not (and some people do, such as portable DVD players, computers, or even just to give away or sell).

maybrick
12-03-2009, 11:58 PM
They'll have to pull my DVDs from my COLD... DEAD... HANDS!!!! :lol:

I've yet to know anybody personally to take the dip on blu-ray, but a few days ago I overheard some guy in the blu-ray section of Target rave out loud about how he scored GODZILLA '98 for only $10! Sad, but true! :D

Harry Warden
12-04-2009, 02:49 AM
I would like one of each in one case.

NightAndFog
12-05-2009, 08:53 PM
New movies I own that looked awesome on blu with a full HD TV:
30 Days Of Night
Rambo (2008)
Knowing
The Last House On The Left (2009)
Orphan
Drag Me To Hell
So, bottom line.Blu is for watching recent movies, NOT old flicks.

Stige
12-05-2009, 10:17 PM
hmm I think older movies are more impressive than their new cousins , wizard of oz, halloween, towering inferno, terminator , texas chainsaw massacre and so on

russweiss
12-06-2009, 12:05 AM
New movies I own that looked awesome on blu with a full HD TV:
30 Days Of Night
Rambo (2008)
Knowing
The Last House On The Left (2009)
Orphan
Drag Me To Hell
So, bottom line.Blu is for watching recent movies, NOT old flicks.

You must not look at older titles such as New York Ripper or Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue. These movies look far superior on the blu format than their DVDs.

Myron Breck
12-06-2009, 01:31 AM
Once you see a movie on Blu ray (in my case it was the remake of The Last House On The Left) there's no goin' back.No possible return to that old standard format.

...which is exactly why I won't even look at them--I just cannot afford to start replacing my collection at the point (probably never).

DVD-fanatic-9
12-07-2009, 12:42 PM
So what is stupid about getting something extra for the same price?
Nothing more complicated than: it seems like waste that a company would offer this. I just don't get it.

HellRazor
12-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Nothing more complicated than: it seems like waste that a company would offer this. I just don't get it.

Not sure why companies do it but I am guessing that for some of the larger distributors it may be somehow more cost advantagous to sell both the blu and the DVD together in one package as opposed to having separate releases.

DVD-fanatic-9
12-07-2009, 10:02 PM
If that's true, too bad these geniuses couldn't have forseen this when half of them started out selling full frame and widescreen discs separately.

HellRazor
12-08-2009, 02:12 AM
Yeah seriously. I always hated that. Especially when I was overseas with the military and all the PX's would always stock the full screen versions and not the widescreen ones.

DVD-fanatic-9
12-08-2009, 05:17 AM
Something else (like this isn't enough) about that... is when 20th would put out just one and label it "Fullscreen" as though you had the option to buy widescreen if you passed on this one. Go home, check Amazon.com and find out the "Fullscreen" version is the only one they released. I think they pulled that shit with Eye of the Beholder. And later Sony with Wild Things.

ekent
12-08-2009, 05:24 AM
Other (Buy the Blu-ray and sell the DVD on eBay).

Mutilated Prey
12-08-2009, 11:30 PM
Whatever with digital downloads, digital copies, flippers of the standard DVD - if I wanna keep the standard DVD I'll just clone it. Give me an incentive to upgrade by offering me a rebate for my old DVD. Love Blu's!!!!!

bigdaddyhorse
12-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Something else (like this isn't enough) about that... is when 20th would put out just one and label it "Fullscreen" as though you had the option to buy widescreen if you passed on this one. Go home, check Amazon.com and find out the "Fullscreen" version is the only one they released. I think they pulled that shit with Eye of the Beholder. And later Sony with Wild Things.

The first dvds for Wild Things were flippers with WS on one side, FS on the other. Then Sony took over Columbia-Tristar and re-issued this and hundreds of others like it with just the FS side (and the same UPC to make it even harder to track down the orginals). I could name a bunch right off:
The Fan, Sheena, The Deep, Idle Hands, Money Train are ones that pop right into my head, probably cuz I had to track them all down from ebay and amazon after the FS only versions were all I could find in stores. I saw a list once and will try to find it again and post it if I do.

bigdaddyhorse
12-09-2009, 09:12 PM
This is not the list I was thinking of, in fact I think this is wave 2-4 of the WS cuts from Sory (love that Simpsons joke):

Adventures Of Milo And Otis
Air Force One
The Best
Bite The Bullet
The Body
The Buddy Holly Story
Chances Are
The Cheap Detective
Deep End Of The Ocean
Desert Heat
Futuresport
Gattaca
Geronimo: An American Legend
Guess Who's Coming To Dinner
Hard Times
I Dreamed Of Africa
Jackie Chan's Who Am I?
The Juror
Knock Off
MacKenna's Gold
Madeline
Mercy
No Way Back
Nowhere To Run
The Odessa File
The Order
Roxanne
Rudyard Kipling's The Second Jungle Book
Screamers
Silent Rage
Starman
Stepmom
Suspect
Sweet and Lowdown
The Thirteenth Floor
Two Moon Junction

These look more like what I recalled, even if it's a different site than I recall seeing them on and a shorter list than I remember:
Part 1 (http://widescreenadvocate.org/news.php?p=55) and part 2 (http://widescreenadvocate.org/news.php?p=101).

bigdaddyhorse
12-09-2009, 09:21 PM
I'll take one of each, or a nice rebate program that won't make me cut all my UPC and PoP's off the covers. I hate cutting up my covers for any reason.

I had to bust out laughing in Best Buy when I saw the sticker on front of Public Enemies (great fucking movie BTW) BD and 2-disc DVD. "Includes a digital copy, over a $15 value for free while supplies last!"
Over $15? Are you fucking kidding me? The most I've ever seen a DC-SE cost more than a standard dvd is between $7 and $10, and those usually have more extra features as well as the dc (usually a 2nd disc of extras). So I say to Universal, "get the fuck outta here with that dumb shit!"

HellRazor
12-09-2009, 11:57 PM
I've never used a single one of my many "digital copies". I mean, what's the point? Even with an Ipod I'm not sure what anyone gets out of watching a movie on a postage stamp sized screen.

Katatonia
12-10-2009, 12:44 AM
I've never used a single one of my many "digital copies". I mean, what's the point? Even with an Ipod I'm not sure what anyone gets out of watching a movie on a postage stamp sized screen.

I've never used them either, and can't see when I ever would. They're a waste of disc space really...whatever happened to just DOWNLOADING a Digital Copy with a release? Some releases did exactly that 2-3 years ago, and then they started including a worthless disc.

spawningblue
12-10-2009, 04:07 PM

I've never used them either, and can't see when I ever would. They're a waste of disc space really...whatever happened to just DOWNLOADING a Digital Copy with a release? Some releases did exactly that 2-3 years ago, and then they started including a worthless disc.

Never used them either. I would never watch a movie on an Ipod. On my way to work I have a portable DVD player which I mainly use for extras or TV shows, which is at least watchable.

And I agree, a disc for a digital download really isn't necessary. I like how we are supposed to be all about the environment, going as far as cutting out chunks of a DVD and Blu Ray case, yet we include these wastes of discs.

HellRazor
12-11-2009, 12:53 AM
I think there must be some bonehead movie execs somewhere who think they are tapping into some kind of new market with this gimick. Who knows, maybe they are getting increased sales on these somehow. But I honestly don't know of a single person who cares in the least about these "digital download" copies.

dave13
12-11-2009, 01:25 AM
Never used them either. I would never watch a movie on an Ipod. On my way to work I have a portable DVD player which I mainly use for extras or TV shows, which is at least watchable.

i've got a portable dvd player in the car. whenever im driving further away than the local corner store i bring along a disc and listen to a commentary track as im driving. with so many commentaries being less and less scene specific these days, i feel like im not missing anything. although i am kind of paranoid of what would happen if i got randomly pulled over. hard to convince average-joe-police-officer that no, i really wasn't watching the movie...

spawningblue
12-11-2009, 05:03 PM
i've got a portable dvd player in the car. whenever im driving further away than the local corner store i bring along a disc and listen to a commentary track as im driving. with so many commentaries being less and less scene specific these days, i feel like im not missing anything. although i am kind of paranoid of what would happen if i got randomly pulled over. hard to convince average-joe-police-officer that no, i really wasn't watching the movie...

Yeah I think I am going to start going through commentaries on my way to work as I never have time any other time. I just wish they would come out with a portable Blu Ray player now that I am buying a lot of Blu Rays! Although I'm sure it would cost a fortune.

X-human
12-11-2009, 08:13 PM
I'm way too paranoid about DRM on digital copies to ever use them. I'd rather take the time to rip a DVD than jump through some pointless hoops that only helps some bean counter sleep at night.

Many digital download disc only last a year too, then the license runs out. Talk about a waste.

allmessedup
12-14-2009, 08:11 AM
Going to be a late adopter for Blu-Ray. I'm sure it's great, but I just can't afford it right now, and would also rather wait for the price to drop a little further.

satans-sadists
12-14-2009, 02:01 PM
I'm very new to Blu-Ray, but a rebate for the old dvd sounds best to me.

FilmFiend
12-16-2009, 09:34 PM
I really have no interest in Blu-ray at all. I will keep buying DVD until it dies, and I will keep buying CDs until you have to buy music on iTunes. When I see them play Blu-Rays at Walmart the picture looks too much like a computer graphic or something. artificial. Unless I was seeing something else, I'm sticking with DVD now. I don't have the $$$ to go running out replacing everything because another form of technology has come along.

spawningblue
12-16-2009, 09:48 PM
I really have no interest in Blu-ray at all. I will keep buying DVD until it dies, and I will keep buying CDs until you have to buy music on iTunes. When I see them play Blu-Rays at Walmart the picture looks too much like a computer graphic or something. artificial. Unless I was seeing something else, I'm sticking with DVD now. I don't have the $$$ to go running out replacing everything because another form of technology has come along.

Don't know why everyone feels if they get into Blu Ray they have to replace their dvd collection. Blu Ray machines play your DVDs, up convert them as well.

Newer releases are cheaper on Blu Ray now and include exclusive extras and cuts of movies. And with the players themselves being found for under $100, upgrading is a no brainer. The amount you save buying newer movies on Blu Ray you will make that $100 back in no time.

I guess some people just fear change even if it is for the better.

As for the comment about the picture looking worse then DVD, that was obviously a problem with their set up. It's a FACT that video and audio is much much better then DVD and the closet you will get to a film print.

Grim
12-16-2009, 10:59 PM
I really have no interest in Blu-ray at all. I will keep buying DVD until it dies, and I will keep buying CDs until you have to buy music on iTunes. When I see them play Blu-Rays at Walmart the picture looks too much like a computer graphic or something. artificial. Unless I was seeing something else, I'm sticking with DVD now.

Well, you were at Wal-Mart.

Blu-ray only shows more of what the film actually looks like. They might have had that lame 120hz shit on which makes everything look really fucking odd, but for some reason it's all the rage right now.

I know getting the TV is the initial hurtle, but there are decent blu-ray players out for under $100 and the discs are on the cusp of being the same price (Hell, sometimes cheaper as spawningblue pointed out). I don't know if you have an HDTV or not, so I'm speaking more generally here, but I just don't get people who would rather keep buying an inferior format when the new format has become very affordable. The reason these advancements in video and audio technology sometimes don't get a foothold and we're stuck waiting another 5-10 years for the next thing is because of people who say "I just don't see the point" and "Oh my god the discs are three dollars more!"

mlock
12-19-2009, 08:45 AM
As long as the price isn't increased, I don't mind a DVD coming with a Blu-ray at all. If I want to bring the movie over and watch at a friend's, I can then.

I really don't care for Flipper discs though, and Digital Copy discs are a complete waste that I'll never use.

I agree completely. Digital Copies are a waste of time to me. As long as I don't have to pay extra for a DVD, then fine with me, but I would want them to be on separate discs, none of that flipper crap!

Hellbilly
12-19-2009, 09:13 AM
Yeah seriously. I always hated that. Especially when I was overseas with the military and all the PX's would always stock the full screen versions and not the widescreen ones.
Regarding DVDs at the PX overseas, they would also stock the R-Rated instead of the unrated. Not always but most of the time. The worst however was that they would carry Lionsgate's entire crappy DTV horror line. At least our PX did. Things did improve a bit though but then again, I hardly browse the DVD section anymore. Just the blu-rays.

HellRazor
12-19-2009, 08:58 PM
Regarding DVDs at the PX overseas, they would also stock the R-Rated instead of the unrated. Not always but most of the time. The worst however was that they would carry Lionsgate's entire crappy DTV horror line. At least our PX did. Things did improve a bit though but then again, I hardly browse the DVD section anymore. Just the blu-rays.

Not to mention the prices sucked 99% of the time.

bigdaddyhorse
12-20-2009, 04:13 AM

I remember the first BD displays in Best Buy just looked so fake, like the movie was painted over to add color and all the people looked plastic. Turns out it was shitty demos and TV's not set right, so don't go by what you see in Wal-Mart or Best Buy demos. ABC warehouse probably has shit set up right, or the best is if a friend has a nice set-up to check out a flick on blu.

vampyr789
12-23-2009, 12:57 AM
staying w/ DVD.
far too expensive to buy a new TV, blu-ray player, surround sound, and the discs.

HellRazor
12-23-2009, 01:53 AM
The flat screens have advanced to such a stage that even my big screen that was bought around 2005 seems archiac now, not to mention the sole "picture tube" set remaining in my house. And the prices have really come down now too.

After watching my hi-def sets it would be really tough to go back. VHS tapes are painful to watch now. Even standard def stuff being broadcast on my hi-def set is barely watchable with its visible pixilation and video artifacts.

Long Live Blu Ray, had mine for less than 6 months and I'm sold. Slowly upgrading select titles in my collection. Even the DVDs upconverted on a blu-ray player look tons better.

spawningblue
12-23-2009, 05:00 AM
staying w/ DVD.
far too expensive to buy a new TV, blu-ray player, surround sound, and the discs.

Well all you really need is a new player which can be found for next to nothing now. Yes, you won't be able to really take advantage of the Blu discs, but at least you can buy all your future purchases on Blu and save you from re buying them later on. With most new releases usually cheaper on Blu then DVD it just makes sense. That and these days if you want all the extras or Director's Cuts of movies you need the Blu Ray version.

Gore Lunatic
12-26-2009, 11:20 AM
BD disc only for me. The digital download thingy is a waste of time and a pain in the ass (I ran into some trouble trying to download a few of them into my iPod).

Dave
12-26-2009, 12:17 PM
I don't mind getting a DVD with the blu-ray. I have DVD in my bedroom and blu in my living room, so it can be beneficial. At some point I will get blu for the bedroom too, so it's not a huge issue either way for me. I still have so many DVDs that I can stay content for quite some time.

Dobby
02-10-2010, 08:29 AM
The BD disc only with possibility for a rebate for my old DVD. I have never seen a BD come with that.