PDA

View Full Version : Rasputin Kicks Ass!!!

Andrew
12-10-2001, 11:25 PM
AHH! I love it! Awesome movie! Can't wait to see it with the commentary tonight! Oh and who's the blonde that plays Vanessa (I think that's her name, she's the one they use to lure Rasputin at the end), because I want to marry her (now) old ass.

Anyway, Hyde, thanks for turnin' me on to this!

mutleyhyde
12-11-2001, 03:54 AM
Ah, Rasputin, the maaaaaaaaaaad monk! Yes, he rules.
You're more than welcome Andy, I'm glad you liked it. :)
That blonde babe is Suzan Farmer, who can also be seen in Hammer's Dracula - Prince of Darkness, as well as in Die Monster Die, with Boris Karloff on MGMs Midnight Movies dvd.

Andrew
12-11-2001, 10:01 PM
Mmmm....gotta see those now :D.

Peter Vincent
12-12-2001, 03:17 PM
I bought Rasputin for $2.99 at Suncoast & haven't opened it yet (wasn't sure if it was crap)! I think I'll give it a view 2night!

RabidFulci
01-21-2002, 06:53 PM
I don't know, Rasputin is most certianly not top quality Hammer Horror by any means--second-string-yes. I mean aside of one of Chris Lee's most commanding and wonderful performances, the film is rather lackluster in it's execution,(I thought Don Sharp did a much better job on KISS OF THE VAMPIRE(1963) ) And the looks more cheaper than the norm of Most Hammer Horror offerings, it's sets certainly DO NOT belay having the potential to live up to such an epic story. I'd get the DVD for Chris Lee and the Audio Commentary.....other than that, theres far more superior Hammer Horrors that I'd recommend...

mutleyhyde
01-22-2002, 03:06 AM
Ah, and there's where I make a distinction RabidF. You say this is second-string Hammer Horror, whereas I don't consider it Hammer Horror at all, I consider it first-string Hammer historical fiction... but that's just me.

As for the performances, I think everybody pulled their weight rather well. The two male leads were acceptable, Francis Matthews especially so, Susan Farmer and Babrbara Shelley played their parts very well I thought, Richard Pasco plays a great Dr. Zargo (sadly, an underdeveloped character, as most everybody is here), who progressively questions his relations with Rasputin.

And then of course, there is Christopher Lee. This work from Lee is by far one of my all time favorites. As much as he steals virtually every film he is in, here he rips the movies heart out of it's warm carcass with righteousness, and bathes in the blood of celluloid grandeur. If for nothing else, Rasputin is a great study of this actors skill. One minute he's a laughing, boistrous, Bacchanalian life of the party scoundrel, the next he's a driven, calculating, methodical, maniacal saboteur and master of manipulation.

I think the problem in the characters isn't so much the acting, as it is the screeplay. That is not to discredit Tony Hinds, who I think is a fine writer, but I do think he spent more time on plot than character development. Maybe I should hunt down a script. Again, I think everybody, the actors and director Don Sharp, did a fine job here, but I don't think they had much to go on.

I do agree that the sets seem somehow "not right". They're good sets, but they just don't seem to come together well. I often "feel" the "fourth wall" too easily. I like the bar and Dr. Zargos apartment, as well as other sets, but there is admittedly something less than perfect about them, not being on par with other Hammers.

The overall acting and the set design is debateable, but I think we agree on Christopher Lee, RabidF. However, what you didn't mention was the overall story. I for one love the action and excitement of the story, and the cinematic flow thereof. If the movie has subpar elements, I think the sum of them far exceeds their individual achievements. For me, I think Rasputin comes together quite nicely as a whole, and heartily recommend it (as many of you already know ;) ).

And by the way RabidFulci, welcome to the boards! Thanks for your input - hope you stick around for a while. Any friend of Hammer is a friend of mine. :D

hassan chaup
02-06-2002, 12:20 PM
I've always loved your signature Mutley. Rasputin is a step away from the classic Hammer gothic retellings. It does more than just stand on its own. Great film.:D

Johnny Alucard
02-06-2002, 05:45 PM
I really belive this film requires 2 viewings for a Hammer fan. The first time I watched it I was a little dissapointed because it wasn't the typical Hammer Gothic Horror but something made me watch it again. I have seen it 5 times now and it is a very good Hammer film. Like Mutley mentioned it is really a Hammer historical movie more in tune with their pirate movies than a Horror film and it does have a very good performance by Christopher Lee. A very underrated performance I might add.

RabidFulci
02-06-2002, 10:36 PM
All though there are some wonderful performances to be found, the sets come off rather tacky looking, the script is rather lackluster, without question one of Anthony Hinds least. And though director Don Sharp, again trys to take advantage of the weak script by charming us with his gift for mis en scene, some of the films scenes are rather poorly executed-. One of the scenes that really stand out is when Rasputin is present at a hearing ni the monistary after the incident that occured at the bar the night before. The camera placment is rather lackluster. And, NO I'm not judnging this as a a Hammer "Horror" offering, I never did, even upon my first viewing.

mutleyhyde
02-07-2002, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by RabidFulci
And, NO I'm not judnging this as a a Hammer "Horror" offering, I never did, even upon my first viewing.
I'm sorry if I misunderstood you Rabid, but when I replied expressing my opinion that Rasputin isn't traditional Hammer Horror, I was referring to to the first sentence in your first post here...

Originally posted by RabidFulci
I don't know, Rasputin is most certianly not top quality Hammer Horror by any means--second-string-yes.
I apologize if I misread that.

As for Rasputin, some personal good news and some general bad news. Unfortunately, several Anchor Bay dvds are being reported as having deteriorating play capability, and Anchor Bay's Hammer discs don't seem to be exempt. I have spot checked all my Hammer dvds (I have every Anchor Bay Hammer disc produced, WOO HAH!) by just seeing if they would be read by my player at all, and then by watching the opening credits. I found that Frankenstein Created Woman will not even register on my Panasonic, and, woe is me (truly) my Rasputin begins to pixelate during the opening credits. It barely gets past the credits before it locks up entirely. Hyde was not happy, no, not at all. But I'm a very resourceful little HammerHead. I had, while Suncoast was selling their Super Buy closeout Anchor Bay dvds, picked up a few extra Hammer dvds in the event anybody needed tham and couldn't find them. Fortunately for me, one of these extras I picked up was Rasputin. I was overjoyed when I realized I had it, and watched it in full last night. To my great satisfaction, it played just fine. Hopefully, it will hold up.

So, to sum up, all you HammerHeads out there should check your discs, especially Frankenstein Created Woman and Rasputin, especially if you bought them when they were first released (as I did). I'm hoping that it's just the first batches that are affected, but of course, only time will tell.

Hammer forever!

Johnny Alucard
02-07-2002, 05:31 PM
When the reports of Frankenstein Created Woman and the Witches being defective came out I checked mine and discovered they were defective too. I contacted Anchor Bay and they replaced both of them. I haven't checked my Rasputin yet but I guess I need too now . You may also want to check your Witches DVD and by the way Anchor BAy seems to be willing to make good on these self destructing discs. I would contact them first whenever you dicover one.

RabidFulci
02-07-2002, 09:45 PM
Mutley, as you DO know, I did label the film as a "Hammer Horror offering" in my first post. And I apoligize for wording it wrongly, it was not my intent. Now as to the movie, I've been wanting to go back and watch it for a 4th viewing.....but I sorta lost my disc...BUT ,when i do fine it...I will try and reconsider the film as a whole.

As to this DVD dilemma, I never had a problem with this. My copy's of THE DEVIL RIDES OUT(1968), PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES(1966), and RASPUTIN THE MAD MONK(1965) all play fine...

mutleyhyde
02-08-2002, 06:01 AM
Johnny, I forgot to mention, I already replaced my The Witches a while back. It would pixelate and freeze up when the kids and Joan were at the lakeshore. It got progressively worse, and then would altogether freeze. Evne my replacement pixels a little, but then it's fine... and in the same spot too.

Yes, Anchor Bay is very good about replacing these.

Rabid, the situation, so far as I've come across anyway, seems to be with the first batches of these discs. I bought these the day they hit the shelves, so that's what I'm guessing anyway. Hopefully we don't run into any more reports of either other movies or later pressings of said movies being defective. Keep yer fingers crossed.

To reitterate, concerned HammerHeads should check out your discs, especially...
Rasputin
Frankenstein Created Woman
The Witches