PDA

View Full Version : Horror on blu-ray in Germany

Hellbilly
12-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Since I'm buying a PAL player very soon I'm looking forward buying most of these soon :D;)

http://img.ofdb.de/fassung/243/243133_f.jpghttp://img.ofdb.de/fassung/266/266255_f.jpg

Jeepers Creepers with Audio Commentary
1408 including both versions
Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus :eek:
The House of the Devil
The Grudge 3 dts audio
Nature's Grave (Long Weekend remake) dts audio
Pontypool
The Fog (1980) dts audio
It's Alive (remake) dts audio
Night of the Living Dead (1968) 16:9 (!) dts audio
Shallow Ground
Pig Hunt
Damien: Omen II dts audio
Turistas

f.ramses
12-11-2009, 12:34 PM
I'm assuming region free as well? If so, which player? I got Pontypool pre-ordered from Amazon UK and last night I realized that it was already out in Germany so I headed over to Amazon Germany to order but the shipping to the US for just 1 BD was 14EUR (the BD is like 15EUR for a total of ~45USD!) and I just couldn't do it. If you find a place that can ship the German release to the US at a reasonable cost let us know, that movie was awesome and I'd really rather not wait until late Jan/early Feb to see it again + I think I can cancel the pre-order. There's a German release of Vinyan out there too but I bought the UK release because it was cheaper.

Hellbilly
12-11-2009, 05:31 PM
I'm assuming region free as well? If so, which player? I got Pontypool pre-ordered from Amazon UK and last night I realized that it was already out in Germany so I headed over to Amazon Germany to order but the shipping to the US for just 1 BD was 14EUR (the BD is like 15EUR for a total of ~45USD!) and I just couldn't do it. If you find a place that can ship the German release to the US at a reasonable cost let us know, that movie was awesome and I'd really rather not wait until late Jan/early Feb to see it again + I think I can cancel the pre-order. There's a German release of Vinyan out there too but I bought the UK release because it was cheaper.

The player I'm getting is a Sony S363B and to my knowledge not region free. However, it comes with 10 free blu-ray movies (Region B) of my choice so I couldn't pass up on that deal.

$45 for one movie is insane! I don't know of any places that ship German releases to the US at a reasonable cost though. I'm lucky enough to receive mine through a private seller without the expensive shipping.

foller
12-11-2009, 06:57 PM
The regular price for shipping a DVD from Germany to the U.S. is 6 Euro (Deutsche Post). International amazon shipping is always a rip-off. The amazon shipping for one DVD from the U.S. to Germany is 12$.:eek:

Nailwraps
12-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Night of the Living Dead (1968) 16:9 (!) dts audio

You do understand that the '68 verison is going to be matted from it's original full screen ratio?

f.ramses
12-11-2009, 09:23 PM
The regular price for shipping a DVD from Germany to the U.S. is 6 Euro (Deutsche Post). International amazon shipping is always a rip-off. The amazon shipping for one DVD from the U.S. to Germany is 12$.:eek:

I gotta say I was really surprised by the huge shipping cost, I buy all the time from Amazon UK and to ship a couple of DVD's it's usually less than 4GBP (~$6), figured it would be a good deal all around. Then again, I've noticed HUGE price differences (Trailer Park Boys: Complete Series box: US: $115, CA: 70CAD (~$66)) between Amazon US and Amazon CA so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. Still, I wish they'd fix the shipping, Amazon never really seemed like one to rip you off like that.

Dobby
04-25-2010, 12:50 PM
OMG Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus is on Blu there!

What is Pig Hunt?

bigdaddyhorse
04-25-2010, 04:54 PM
I'd bust out the old translator and look for reviews of those BD's before ordering.
Didn't I hear that The Fog and Escape from New York are just upconverted dvd masters somewhere? Not positive if it was German BD's though, but some other country ahd horrid BD's of these titles.

Jeepers Creepers, Turistas and 1408 (DC) sound like they should be awesome on BD if properly done!

Hellbilly
04-25-2010, 04:56 PM
Didn't I hear that The Fog and Escape from New York are just upconverted dvd masters somewhere? Not positive if it was German BD's though, but some other country ahd horrid BD's of these titles.
The UK Blu of The Fog is the bad one from what I read.

dickieduvet
04-25-2010, 05:18 PM
I've got the German Jeepers Creepers, It's pretty good visually but there is an audio dropout during the truck chase scene which is very noticeable. The Fog on the other hand is a huge leap from the DVD, No extras but the Transfer is very strong as is the audio. Received The Howling a week or 2 back as well from Amazon.de and it's a fantastic disc (though region locked B)

Reverenddave
04-25-2010, 10:01 PM
Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus (Blu-Ray) is coming out in the USA on May 18th. You can get it at Amazon for $10.99. There's also a double feature pack with 30,000 Leagues Under The Sea for $12.49.

I have the UK HD-DVD of The Fog which should be identical to the Blu-Ray. It's not an SD upconvert. The video is fairly good. Colors are much more vibrant. It's not great, but I'm not sure how good this can look. We're talking about a grainy 30-year-old low budget film.

Dobby
04-26-2010, 11:20 AM
Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus (Blu-Ray) is coming out in the USA on May 18th. You can get it at Amazon for $10.99. There's also a double feature pack with 30,000 Leagues Under The Sea for $12.49.

Thank you for the info Reverenddave.

bigdaddyhorse
04-26-2010, 05:17 PM
Cool, so avoid the UK versions and go German (if I go multi-region before these get US releases). Thanks for the info!