PDA

View Full Version : Peter Jackson's First 3 Films..Coming Soon To Blu?!?!?

Nailwraps
12-14-2009, 05:50 PM
Oh please let it be true!:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3886

"In a recent interview for Reel Time (a programme on the CineMagic XM radio channel), Peter Jackson said he is currently restoring his "early films" for release on Blu-ray. No specific titles were mentioned, but Jackson was probably referring to his three first movies, which have become cult favorites in their own right: 'Bad Taste', 'Meet the Feebles' and 'Braindead' (also known as 'Dead Alive').

The interview will replay on CineMagic (XM Ch. 76) today at 9 am ET and 11 pm ET.

Credit goes to Adam Tyner at DVD Talk."

I hope SE DVDs will be made too.

Also in related Peter Jackson Blu-Ray news...

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3884

"New Line Home Entertainment, in conjunction with Warner Home Video, will release 'The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy' on Blu-ray on April 6, 2010. Release details are largely unchanged from those revealed early in the year (see blu-ray.com, June 24). The nine-disc box set will contain the theatrical versions of the movies, along with more than seven hours of special features (on three regular DVDs), digital copies for each film, and previews for the extended versions of the films (which will come out on Blu-ray "at a later date").

A week later, Warner Home Video will release the 1978 animated version of J.R.R. Tolkien's epic."

X-human
12-14-2009, 06:59 PM
Excellent news but I wonder what region he has in mind... Hopefully they'll release the extended version of Braindead, as word has it Jackson prefers the shorter US Theatrical Version.

I'll probably hold off on LotR, something better might be down the road with The Hobbit.

KR~!
12-14-2009, 07:16 PM
Why not include both versions? The longer cut Braindead and the US cut Dead Alive on the same blu-Ray disc?

Dead Alive has lots of different cuts.

From IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103873/alternateversions

x666x
12-14-2009, 07:36 PM
I agree. Only if it is the Euro version called Brain Dead. Haven't seen Feebles in years, so that is the one I will most likely get.

Grim
12-14-2009, 07:44 PM
Somehow I fear this might be for Europe or elsewhere, as the rights to his first three films are with all different companies here in the states. Although I did find Bad Taste on archive.org, so maybe that lapsed into the public domain or something. Still, it would be great to have these in HD.

Midnight Buddha
12-14-2009, 08:17 PM
I would buy Braindead without question..

Nailwraps
12-14-2009, 08:20 PM
Hopefully they'll release the extended version of Braindead, as word has it Jackson prefers the shorter US Theatrical Version.

Actaully, Peter Jackson prefers the US 97 Minute Unrated Cut. But yes, I hope both the US Unrated Cut and the Braindead Cut are included.

Grim
12-14-2009, 08:39 PM
Actaully, Peter Jackson prefers the US 97 Minute Unrated Cut.

I think that's what he was saying. I don't believe the R-rated version of Dead Alive was ever released theatrically, only the unrated.

fceurich39
12-14-2009, 08:44 PM
i have a vhs laserdisc copy of an even longer cut than the 97 unrated cut

but anyways i kinda doubt it will be region1 i sure hope so though

lionsgate owns dead alive
anchor bay i think owns the rights or used to for meet the feebles and bad taste

anyway dead alive a.k.a. braindead is a must buy blu-ray hopefully it will be a region 1 release

Nailwraps
12-15-2009, 12:38 AM
I don't believe the R-rated version of Dead Alive was ever released theatrically, only the unrated.

Dead Alive was released theatrically. The US theatrical version was 85 minutes long (12 minutes shorter than the US Unrated Version and 19 minutes shorter than the Original European Cut). When released on VHS both the R-Rated Verison and the Unrated Version were released. The R1 DVD is the Unrated Cut which (again) is Peter Jackson's preferred version.

anchor bay i think owns the rights or used to for meet the feebles and bad taste.

Anchor Bay did used to own the rights (Bad Taste anyway). There was going to be a SE DVD of Meet The Feebles released by Anchor Bay in 2002, but was cancelled possibly due to rights.

HellRazor
12-15-2009, 12:54 AM
"New Line Home Entertainment, in conjunction with Warner Home Video, will release 'The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy' on Blu-ray on April 6, 2010. Release details are largely unchanged from those revealed early in the year (see blu-ray.com, June 24). The nine-disc box set will contain the theatrical versions of the movies, along with more than seven hours of special features (on three regular DVDs), digital copies for each film, and previews for the extended versions of the films (which will come out on Blu-ray "at a later date").

I love how they are going to try gouging us for the extended versions "at a later date" the same way they did the first time with the DVD releases.

vampyr789
12-15-2009, 01:02 AM
i hope they release them all on SE DVDs as well.. especially Braindead...w/ both versions..i would slap my money down for it right now! i LOVE that movie its hilarious

Vance Vandy
12-15-2009, 01:30 AM
I don't like the post-Lord of the Rings Jackson. Really want some of the earlier stuff on blu, though.

Grim
12-15-2009, 01:35 AM
Dead Alive was released theatrically. The US theatrical version was 85 minutes long (12 shorter than the US Unrated Version and 19 shorter than the Original European Cut). When released on VHS both the R-Rated Verison and the Unrated Version were released. The R1 DVD is the Unrated Cut which (again) Peter Jackson's preferred version.

I never said Dead Alive wasn't released in the United States theatrically. Only that I don't believe the R-rated version was ever released theatrically, only the unrated, as I clearly stated in my post.

Here's a poster that clearly displays no rating and only an indicator of who can be admitted, similar to the way Dawn of the Dead was released.
http://www.impawards.com/1992/posters/dead_alive.jpg

And I'm aware of everything else you said as well. I've known the US unrated version is his preferred version since I first saw the film around 2000, not to mention it's been stated repeatedly in this thread. And I know that's the version that is on the US DVD. You're kind of preaching to the choir as I know the film's release history already.

WrongTurnLover
01-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Sounds awesome and i love his LOTR! can't wait to sell my theatrical editions of LOTR trilogy at hastings.

Shannafey
01-06-2010, 03:49 AM
What a crock of shit!! Why are they even bothering releasing the theatrical cuts of LOTR? Why not just put out the extended cuts or put them both in the set? Fucking bastards want to steal more money from the consumers!! Well, at least they are telling us what they are doing, instead of just releasing them and putting out the new versions a few months later!

Kolpitz
01-06-2010, 04:33 AM
What a crock of shit!! Why are they even bothering releasing the theatrical cuts of LOTR? Why not just put out the extended cuts or put them both in the set? Fucking bastards want to steal more money from the consumers!! Well, at least they are telling us what they are doing, instead of just releasing them and putting out the new versions a few months later!

Word has it that Jackson is planning an uber-elaborate release of the extended editions to coincide with the release of The Hobbit in theatres. But, since he doesn't own the films, he couldn't exactly stop the studio from putting out the theatrical versions.

HellRazor
01-06-2010, 05:08 AM

Basically, they are using the same tactics they used for the DVD release. But I think it will backfire this time. The big difference this time is, a lot of the target audience already has the DVD versions of the theatrical cut, so we have no incentive to buy the Blu Ray versions when we all already know the extended cuts will arrive soon enough.

Shannafey
01-07-2010, 02:52 AM
Basically, they are using the same tactics they used for the DVD release. But I think it will backfire this time. The big difference this time is, a lot of the target audience already has the DVD versions of the theatrical cut, so we have no incentive to buy the Blu Ray versions when we all already know the extended cuts will arrive soon enough.

Yes, you are totally correct here!! It is going to backfire big time!

Nailwraps
07-26-2010, 05:32 AM
We may have a release date!:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001392/board/thread/166028968

"Here's a paste and copy from WingNut Films, via Kemps:

'Bad Taste', 'Meet the Feebles', and 'Braindead' are currently undergoing digital restoration and we intend to release them in a blu-ray box-set, with added special features, sometime around 2011. The only catch is that Peter has very little time at the moment to oversee this restoration, and it may be a little while before the box hits shelves."

Judging by the word box set, it's probable that Lionsgate will release it since they own Dead Alive. Here's hoping for SE DVDs

killit
07-26-2010, 06:00 AM
this is great, all 3 still great films

blu
07-29-2010, 12:19 AM
Never saw Bad Taste or Meet the Feebles but no force on Earth could stop me from buying Dead Alive on BD! That flick can't come soon enough.

inkmachine
07-29-2010, 12:39 AM
You have GOT to see Bad Taste...that film is awesome lol

Beastus
07-29-2010, 11:35 AM
Braindead (aka Dead Alive) is actually the least entertaining out of those 3. Both Bad Taste and Meet the Feebles are fantastic.

Nailwraps
11-25-2014, 08:55 AM
New Blu-ray of Dead Alive soon!?!?:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=10066797&postcount=464

elDomenechHDG
11-25-2014, 03:04 PM
Certainly looks like it - it's about time. I sold my Blu-ray earlier this year for $44, looks like I made the right decision. I'd love to see all 3 versions of the film, though - not just the US theatrical. Fingers crossed.

Zombie Dude
11-26-2014, 02:14 AM
Certainly looks like it - it's about time. I sold my Blu-ray earlier this year for $44, looks like I made the right decision. I'd love to see all 3 versions of the film, though - not just the US theatrical. Fingers crossed.

Well it says Peter Jackson is supervising this new edition so it'll likely be the longest cut or whatever was released in New Zealand I'd assume.

chrismac87
11-26-2014, 04:28 AM
Well it says Peter Jackson is supervising this new edition so it'll likely be the longest cut or whatever was released in New Zealand I'd assume.

Actually the version released here unrated is his preferred director's cut, the longer cut was his original cut that he had to quickly get together to get the film out. When the US version was being put together, he had time to trim the film and get it down to where he felt it was best. So there's a chance it'll be that version over the longer cut.

I'd be glad to have both versions honestly. I hope someone puts that bug in his ear in regards to that.

Zombie Dude
11-26-2014, 04:31 AM
Actually the version released here unrated is his preferred director's cut, the longer cut was his original cut that he had to quickly get together to get the film out. When the US version was being put together, he had time to trim the film and get it down to where he felt it was best. So there's a chance it'll be that version over the longer cut.

I'd be glad to have both versions honestly. I hope someone puts that bug in his ear in regards to that.

That's cool by me. I wasn't aware that he had to rush it together initially, so good to know :)

steelpotatonz
11-26-2014, 11:54 AM
Yeah never heard he had to rush it together (I'm from NZ). Anyone got any evidence to back that up? :)

bigdaddyhorse
11-26-2014, 01:46 PM
'Bad Taste', 'Meet the Feebles', and 'Braindead' are currently undergoing digital restoration and we intend to release them in a blu-ray box-set, with added special features, sometime around 2011. The only catch is that Peter has very little time at the moment to oversee this restoration, and it may be a little while before the box hits shelves."

With a track-record and history like this, ya'll actually believe this new short mention will fare any better than that promise of yesteryear? I want what yous are all on!
It's a race to never between these and Kill Bill Whole Bloody Affair on blu. Neither are ever gonna happen! Jackson is gonna get into some other new project, just like Cameron, so we will never see this or True Lies on blu (sans fan customs and existing Dead Alive unrated cut).

Zombie Dude
11-26-2014, 01:49 PM
With a track-record and history like this, ya'll actually believe this new short mention will fare any better than that promise of yesteryear? I want what yous are all on!
It's a race to never between these and Kill Bill Whole Bloody Affair on blu. Neither are ever gonna happen! Jackson is gonna get into some other new project, just like Cameron, so we will never see this or True Lies on blu (sans fan customs and existing Dead Alive unrated cut).
It'll definitely happen. Patience is all that's needed.

X-human
11-27-2014, 05:31 AM

There's a small difference, Jackson has come off The Hobbit and Tin Tin has wrapped like a year ago and is mostly just rendering now. Whereas Cameron is just finally starting Avatar 2/3/4 after extensive development hell (and 3Ding Titanic for theatrical re-release inbetween).

Not that I expect it any time soon mind you.

bigdaddyhorse
11-27-2014, 02:26 PM
There's a small difference, Jackson has come off The Hobbit and Tin Tin has wrapped like a year ago and is mostly just rendering now. Whereas Cameron is just finally starting Avatar 2/3/4 after extensive development hell (and 3Ding Titanic for theatrical re-release inbetween).

Not that I expect it any time soon mind you.

I'm just hoping someone/something proves me wrong, so I'll keep playing the soothsayer until that happens. I want to be wrong, I really do!:o
This reverse curse psychoness used to work about 90% of the time. Unfortunately, now it's more like 10%.:(