PDA

View Full Version : Scream Blu-Ray (Import)

Reverenddave
12-20-2009, 09:13 AM
In case you didn't know, Scream has been released on Blu-Ray in Australia. The disc is region free, and plays fine on the US PS3. It's a barebones release, and as far as I can tell it's the theatrical cut. It hasn't been remastered, but it looks pretty good. Especially compared to the non-anamorphic US DVD.

If you don't feel like importing, you can get it through Amazon Marketplace for around $23 shipped.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Scream-Blu-ray-User-Reviews/7812/

It's me, Billy
01-01-2010, 03:12 AM
While I don't have Scream on Blu, I did purchase a bootleg DVD a couple of years ago from a respectable seller. It's the Unrated Director's Cut, it's 16x9 enhanced/anamorphic, and it looks really good. All of the extras from the US CE DVD are included. I got so damn tired of waiting for Dimension to give us a proper release.

Reverenddave
01-01-2010, 01:53 PM
While I don't have Scream on Blu, I did purchase a bootleg DVD a couple of years ago from a respectable seller. It's the Unrated Director's Cut, it's 16x9 enhanced/anamorphic, and it looks really good. All of the extras from the US CE DVD are included. I got so damn tired of waiting for Dimension to give us a proper release.

That's probably the Korean DVD. They put out a good anamorphic DVD of the unrated cut (NTSC & Region Free). And I'm pretty sure it had all the extras. I've bought 3-4 versions of the movie on DVD, and that was my favorite one.

bigdaddyhorse
01-01-2010, 04:31 PM

There's a Japan and a Koren version like this, and I couldn't find either.:(
I had to get the non-anamorphic Scandinavian dvd for the DC (to replace the laserdisc).
Someday it will come out in the US, someday.:)

Reverenddave
01-02-2010, 11:26 AM
There's a Japan and a Koren version like this, and I couldn't find either.

DVDHeaven.com has it for around $12 shipped to the USA. That's where I got it a couple years ago.

Honestly, I don't care about a few seconds of footage. I don't think it adds anything to the movie. I want the best picture possible. Right now I think that's the Australian Blu-Ray. Hopefully they'll remaster the video for a US release. But until then, I'm sticking with this blu-ray.

gunner
01-02-2010, 06:25 PM
I bought an uncut anamorphic import dvd a while back. I can't remember if it's Korean or Japanese, but it wasn't a bootleg. I was less than pleased with the transfer, enough pixels and fuzz to irritate, quite horrible actually. The last time I watched Scream I ended up ejecting the import disc and playing the edited US non-anamorphic disc instead. It was an improvement. This new import blu-ray sounds interesting, but the whole "not remastered" thing spooks me. There HAS to be a domestic blu-ray someday in the future. Seeing this movie looking really good is a must, but I don't care if it's cut or not, the added footage didn't do much for me anyway.

othervoice1
01-02-2010, 07:46 PM
So what actually is in the Directors cut that isnt in the theatrical cut?

gunner
01-02-2010, 08:03 PM
All I noticed was extended gore, mostly in the form of steaming entrails. Steam was a great (and usually overlooked) detail, don't get me wrong. But it doesn't make or break the movie.

rxfiend
01-02-2010, 08:48 PM
So what actually is in the Directors cut that isnt in the theatrical cut?

Check out my Deleted Horror Scenes website (link in signature) and you'll see a montage of the edited clips. It literally is only seconds of footage.

othervoice1
01-03-2010, 12:55 AM
Cool thanks guys!

It's me, Billy
01-03-2010, 01:53 AM
Check out my Deleted Horror Scenes website (link in signature) and you'll see a montage of the edited clips. It literally is only seconds of footage.

Yeah, it's only about 20 seconds of extra footage. Extra gore added to the murder scenes.

Gerda
03-15-2010, 11:28 AM
which kind of movie is screen???

Franco
03-15-2010, 06:29 PM
which kind of movie is screen???

It's not "screen". It's "Scream" and it's a slasher movie.

Matt89
03-15-2010, 07:37 PM
Wow. A question best left unanswered IMO. :lol:

~Matt

crikan
03-15-2010, 09:10 PM
Am I wrong in thinking that Scream is very popular movie that should sell well in stores? I still notice it on shelves. Is there a story behind why the US doesn't have a decent DVD release? It sounds like other regions have received better versions so why not the US?

crikan
03-23-2010, 02:01 PM
Anyone have some insight as to why we don't have a decent Region 1 release of Scream or if one is in the works?

bigdaddyhorse
03-23-2010, 03:05 PM
Am I wrong in thinking that Scream is very popular movie that should sell well in stores? I still notice it on shelves. Is there a story behind why the US doesn't have a decent DVD release? It sounds like other regions have received better versions so why not the US?

No, you are not wrong. Scream was a huge hit and the sequels did well at the box ofice also. Why we are stuck with a cut non-anamorphic dvd for one of the biggest box-office grossing horror films of all time is laughable. My guess is somebody Hollywood pissed somebody off, and we're all suffering for it. I mean in this time there's been about 10 different dvds of Evil Dead, which did pennies compared to Scream's dollars. Yet 10 years later, 10 new Evil Dead dvds, not one Scream re-release (oh wait, they did change the cover a bit to remove the "widescreen" banner, but disc content has never changed).

Reverenddave
03-24-2010, 08:42 AM
Those alternative Disney studios (like Dimension, Touchstone and Miramax) rarely double-dip DVDs. And it took a while for them to embrace anamorphic widescreen. They put some great movies on lousy DVDs.

mlock
03-28-2010, 01:34 AM
My info may be outdated, but I seem to recall a rights issue with Dimension Films, and the Weinstein brothers. Similar reasons as to why there hasn't been an anamorphic release of Grosse Point Blank and Romy & Michelle's Reunion, basically a falling out between the studio and producers.

However, I recently read about Scream 4 going into production with Craven directing, Neve Campbell, Courtney Cox-Arquette and David Arquette all reprising their roles. It's set to start shooting this summer with an April 2011 release. Maybe this will give the studio an excuse to release better dvd and debut blu ray versions.

crikan
04-09-2010, 02:55 PM
I finally bought and watched the Scream BD AUS Import from Amazon.com. I hadnít seen Scream since it first came out on video and have been eagerly waiting for a good version to watch for the past few years. I havenít wanted to watch the current US DVD because itís not anamorphic. I took the leap with the AUS BD and wasnít disappointed. I watch a lot of blu-ray movies, but thankfully Iím not the guy who can spot Edge Enhancement and DNR unless it is really bad, so I can only say that compared to other blu-rays this version of Scream looks very good. Good enough that I wonít need to upgrade if it is re-released in the US with a slightly better transfer and extras. This disc has just the amount of film grain I want in this kind of movie. After watching Scream I immediately watched a few scenes from the Sorority Row BD (http://www.amazon.com/Sorority-Row-Blu-ray-Briana-Evigan/dp/B00275EHDW?ie=UTF8&tag=killerreviews-20) and found both to have a similar amount of grain and detail. Because of the grain you donít get that window or 3D effect you get with movies like Crank. Like most blu-rays you notice the texture of clothing, wrinkles on the actorís lips and each individual hair on their head. The color is better than what youíd expect from DVD but doesnít impress like some of the best blu-rays. I looked at my DVD collection for a 90ís horror movie to compare the video quality too but couldnít find one so I settled for 2005ís ďThe Dukes of HazzardĒ and it clearly proved to me that this Scream BD is big improvement over what is available on DVD. The only problem I had is that the movie starts with the title and then leads into Drew picking up the phone rather than having the title after showing her hanging from the tree. Some may find lack of extras to be a deal-breaker but that isnít the case for me. If you want extras the DVD can be had at Wal-Mart for $5. If you looking for the best way to watch Scream on your big widescreen TV than I highly recommend the AUS Import that is selling at the US Amazon.com for $23 (http://www.amazon.com/Scream-Blu-ray-David-Arquette/dp/B002Q9VP4I?ie=UTF8&tag=killerreviews-20) (New - from an Amazon partner).

mlock
05-03-2010, 01:07 AM
I finally bought and watched the Scream BD AUS Import from Amazon.com. I hadnít seen Scream since it first came out on video and have been eagerly waiting for a good version to watch for the past few years. I havenít wanted to watch the current US DVD because itís not anamorphic. I took the leap with the AUS BD and wasnít disappointed. I watch a lot of blu-ray movies, but thankfully Iím not the guy who can spot Edge Enhancement and DNR unless it is really bad, so I can only say that compared to other blu-rays this version of Scream looks very good. Good enough that I wonít need to upgrade if it is re-released in the US with a slightly better transfer and extras. This disc has just the amount of film grain I want in this kind of movie. After watching Scream I immediately watched a few scenes from the Sorority Row BD (http://www.amazon.com/Sorority-Row-Blu-ray-Briana-Evigan/dp/B00275EHDW?ie=UTF8&tag=killerreviews-20) and found both to have a similar amount of grain and detail. Because of the grain you donít get that window or 3D effect you get with movies like Crank. Like most blu-rays you notice the texture of clothing, wrinkles on the actorís lips and each individual hair on their head. The color is better than what youíd expect from DVD but doesnít impress like some of the best blu-rays. I looked at my DVD collection for a 90ís horror movie to compare the video quality too but couldnít find one so I settled for 2005ís ďThe Dukes of HazzardĒ and it clearly proved to me that this Scream BD is big improvement over what is available on DVD. The only problem I had is that the movie starts with the title and then leads into Drew picking up the phone rather than having the title after showing her hanging from the tree. Some may find lack of extras to be a deal-breaker but that isnít the case for me. If you want extras the DVD can be had at Wal-Mart for $5. If you looking for the best way to watch Scream on your big widescreen TV than I highly recommend the AUS Import that is selling at the US Amazon.com for $23 (http://www.amazon.com/Scream-Blu-ray-David-Arquette/dp/B002Q9VP4I?ie=UTF8&tag=killerreviews-20) (New - from an Amazon partner).

Thanks for the update! While it is tempting, I just can't justify the import price, US exchange for me, shipping, taxes, etc. I've waited this long for a good version, I can wait for the inevitable release when Scream 4 comes out.