PDA

View Full Version : New 3D Blu-ray players in 2010 question?

fceurich39
12-21-2009, 05:36 PM
here's some info about it
The Blu-ray Disc Association has been wrestling with this one for a while, but now it’s official. The much awaited 3D specification for Blu-ray discs has been decided on. Most of the information to come out of the announcement is what we expected, but there are a few surprises in there.

The codec being used for 3D video is MVC, an extension of the AVC codec that we’re already familiar with. 3D file sizes are about 50% larger on average, which shouldn’t be much of a problem for Blu-ray. Thankfully, multiple versions of the same movie won’t have to go out, since the MVC encoding is fully backwards compatible to a 2D picture.

3D movies will play without any quality loss in full 1080p. Graphical menus will be fully 3D which is to be expected, but the announcement of 3D subtitles raises a few questions. It will be interesting to see exactly how readable the subtitles are and whether they compliment or hinder the 3D effect.

Playstation 3 owners will be happy to hear that 3D playback will be possible on their game consoles. It’s fairly safe to assume that this will be coming in the form of a firmware update in the next few months. There’s no word on other older players getting updates at the moment.

The Blu-ray Disc Association also points out that 3D on Blu-ray is ‘display agnostic’. That is to say that whether you’re watching on an LCD or Plasma, you’re going to get the full 3D experience.

now the question is will u have to get a new HD TV to be able to get the full effect?

Workshed
12-21-2009, 06:31 PM
It'd be amazing if we didn't need new TVs, but that sounds too easy.

Whatever it takes to kill the red and blue glasses, though.

fceurich39
12-21-2009, 06:48 PM
It'd be amazing if we didn't need new TVs, but that sounds too easy.

Whatever it takes to kill the red and blue glasses, though.

i know doesn't it we can hope atleast PS3 owners all they will need is a firmware upgrade

from that article it sounds like we will need just a new blu-ray player but i highly doubt it

maybrick
12-21-2009, 06:50 PM
Working 3D is just about the only thing they could do at this point to get me interested in the blu-ray medium.

spawningblue
12-21-2009, 07:31 PM
New TV is definitely needed. TV will come with glasses and they will only work for that TV I believe.

dave13
12-21-2009, 07:41 PM
from what the digital bits were reporting, i was under the impression that it wouldn't need a new tv.

spawningblue
12-21-2009, 07:56 PM
from what the digital bits were reporting, i was under the impression that it wouldn't need a new tv.

Yeah every report I have read stated that a new TV was needed and a new Blu Ray player unless you have the PS3.