PDA

View Full Version : 3D Televisions, Blu-rays, Games in Summer 2010

rhett
01-07-2010, 08:55 PM
While 3D projections have come to embody "the future" in movies for decades now, it seems as if that future is finally here. Sony and Panasonic are rolling out a number of 3D technology upgrades to allow the shutter 3D technology of the theater to finally come home in a mass produced and supported format.

It seems as if all that is required for Blu-ray players or PS3s are simple firmware upgrades to get the 3D to play back. TVs are a different story, though, and that might be the biggest hitch in this whole transition - so many people have just shelled out a ton of cash for this first new 16x9 set, only now to be told there's another pretty monumental upgrade right around the corner? As Sandler said in THE WEDDING SINGER..."Once again...things that could have been brought to my attention YESTERDAY!!!!"

Anyway, here's a link to a bunch of announcements for 3D TVs, Blu-rays, games and even a television station from Sony, Panasonic, Imax, Real D and a bunch of other big names:

http://www.dvdtown.com/news/panasonic-and-sony-to-market-3d-tvs/7292

What do you guys think? Is this a logical progression based on the massive success of Avatar and 3D in the cinema in general, or too soon? Just when exhibitors were starting to feel some comfort that 3D would keep people coming to the cinema it looks like that'll now become commonplace at home, too!

Workshed
01-07-2010, 08:58 PM
It's awesome for consumers in terms of technology. Finally, no more shoddy glasses! But, I think it's too soon for any sort of mass acceptance. So many people have finally made the transition to LCD/plasma, esp. this holiday season, and to now be told they have to upgrade right away might be a stinger.

I weep for theaters, though, as I saw 3D, as another poster mentioned, to be a real drive to get me and other viewers into their seats.

fceurich39
01-07-2010, 09:10 PM
happy u wont need to get new blu-ray players but not TV's to bad they couldn't just make a something to make ur HD TV compatable

heck they have done some amazing stuff technology wise why not this

Dave
01-07-2010, 09:13 PM
I'm pretty excited about this and anticipate being an early adopter. My living room TV / main TV is a 16x9 tube/CRT. It's due for an upgrade.

spawningblue
01-07-2010, 09:58 PM
From what I've read the PS3 and any other Blu Ray players that achieve 3D through updates will not be quite as good and only deliver the image in 1080i instead of 1080p like the newer models will as they are HDMI 1.4 capable. You will also need new cables and I believe although I don't understand why a new receiver.

spawningblue
01-07-2010, 10:11 PM
The good thing is though that the 3D BLu Rays will include a 2D version as well, so you won't have to re buy every 3D Blu Ray movie.

dave13
01-08-2010, 04:13 AM
i was under the impression for a while that a new tv wouldn't be necessary, and even posted to that effect a few times around here. but apparently i was, in the words of depeche mode, "WRONG!"

personally, i've been planning on upgrading our tv in the next year or so, so maybe waiting these last few years was the right call. guess we'll just have to wait and see. also, in terms of theaters using 3D as a gimmick to pull patrons away from their home theaters, i don't think we can close the book on that quite yet. i mean just because (allegedly) theater quality 3D will soon be available in the home, does not mean that a lot of people will immediately jump on the band wagon. i mean a lot of people are still reluctant to make the leap to blu ray. and now you're offering them a technology that not only requires a new player, but a new tv as well? i think it will be a long time before 3D movies start under-performing because the public is willing to wait for the home theater 3D version.

soxfan666
01-08-2010, 04:40 AM
I have read that Mitsubishi has been putting out 3D ready dlp tv's for a year now, anybody know about these? Will they be ready to go for the transition? You can buy a 60 inch 3D ready at best buy for under $1500, I just don't know if they are fully ready etc....

X-human
01-08-2010, 05:45 AM
I would like to be an early adopter, and was one on Blu-ray, but I can't see paying a high price tag up front for a handful of titles. I'll wait a year, maybe two, and will probably bite then.

This goes a little against the "why wait" attitude I had on Blu-ray, even during the format war. But Blu-ray probably supported more movies on day one than 3D HD will support for quite some time. Also there won't be any must buy titles for me. Unless Creature from the Black Lagoon is a launch title, I can wait.

I have read that Mitsubishi has been putting out 3D ready dlp tv's for a year now, anybody know about these? Will they be ready to go for the transition? You can buy a 60 inch 3D ready at best buy for under $1500, I just don't know if they are fully ready etc....

I'm rather dubious on all that. Does it have HDMI v1.4? I wouldn't bet the farm on it, but as a hold over it might work out.