PDA

View Full Version : Lucio Fulci VS Dario Argento

Dark Lord
12-12-2001, 09:46 PM
The question is simple, it has been debated quite often on this board. But now is the time to put your heart to it, witch of these euro director do you love the most and why? Well...let the flames begin!

Demon Tech
12-12-2001, 10:00 PM
I like Argento better. No offense to Fulci, but I like films that stimulate my mind. To like Argento you have to have an IQ above 70. I call Argentos films intelligent horror. I like Fulci also. However Argento is three steps ahead.

Dark Lord
12-12-2001, 10:06 PM
I'm on your side Demon Tech, I just love both of these directors, but my heart is on Argento's side. Suspiria, Bird with the crystal plumage, Deep Red, Tenebrae, Phenomena, Cat O Nine tails...just love them all....he's the GREATEST!...welll at least my favorite.

and one final thing: FULCI does LIVES!!!

Erg0n
12-13-2001, 02:59 AM
honestly, i never appreciated the giallo genre.... until i've seen argento's work.

thrashard76
12-13-2001, 03:16 AM
I like Fulci for the "through" your face approach. The gore level is outstanding. Gore is something that I always look for in a good horror movie. Atmosphere is important too as in Argento's movies and I love his style too. So my decison is for Fulci because I saw his work first. Gore 'til Death!

Jason25
12-13-2001, 03:38 AM
Fulci. His work in multiple genres, not to mention that his giallos were just as good if not better than Argento's. Check out Don't Torture A Duckling and A Lizard In A Woman's Skin and you will agree with me.

Don't get me wrong, Argento is amazing and comparing the 2 isn't really fair, but since you made me pick, I pick Fulci.

Hellbilly
12-13-2001, 07:22 PM
I'll second Jason's pick/opinions.

ctyankee
12-13-2001, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Jason25
Fulci. His work in multiple genres, not to mention that his giallos were just as good if not better than Argento's. Check out Don't Torture A Duckling and A Lizard In A Woman's Skin and you will agree with me.

Don't get me wrong, Argento is amazing and comparing the 2 isn't really fair, but since you made me pick, I pick Fulci.

I'll be glad to check out those titles. I won't vote in this poll because I've only seen one Fulci movie and that was The Beyond. I thought it had a few moments ... but it didn't impresss much - particularly the lousy effects and poor gore. So right now .. Fulci doesn't impress.

jmc
12-15-2001, 04:00 PM
Fulci. Argento is probably the better filmmaker, but I find Fulci's films more enjoyable and fun.

EPKJ
06-21-2002, 12:30 PM
This is no contest. Dario Argento is clearly the superior filmmaker. Argento is an artist. Fulci is a journeyman who makes enjoyable films which usually fall far short of art.

bwana the clown
06-21-2002, 03:24 PM
Well, God knows I love 'em both, but Argento's easily the better director. They've both made their fair share of masterpieces, but Fulci's made far more pieces of crap than Argento.

dvdasia62
06-21-2002, 03:30 PM
LOL!!!!!! How can anyone even seriously ask this question??? Argento is one of the finest directors in the world. No contest. Argento over the Fulci amatuer anytime! :)

DefJeff
06-21-2002, 04:37 PM
yea, i chose Argento myself

Yowie
06-21-2002, 05:18 PM
I picked our Dario, because he is definitely the better director of the two and I probably like more of his films than Fulci's, BUT, "The Beyond" will always be a special film to me. It is a relentless movie in all aspects, and it has a raw power none of Argento's have. For Fulci's standards it's a beautiful film. I can imagine Argento has a secret thing for that movie too, not jealousy, but admiration.

DVD Connoisseur
06-23-2002, 03:42 AM
He's my favourite horror director - I love his cinematography, the style of his giallo movies....Deep Red is a masterpiece that seems new everytime I view it....

swamptours
06-29-2002, 10:36 PM
I went with Argento. Something about his nightmare imagery really seems to affect me. I would hate to have his dreams or nightmares.

rhett
04-17-2003, 08:41 PM
It is a very tough decision, but I think I'd go with Fulci. They are both fantastic, but in the end Fulci's films remain my favorite. In my opinion, none of Argento's work equals THE BEYOND or DON'T TORTURE A DUCKLING. Fulci can seem just like a journeyman, but there are some real subtext to THE BEYOND and DTAD that I think tends to get overlooked my most viewers. Argento has been consistently better, I'd argue, but overall the best of the bunch lie with Fulci.

mcchrist
04-17-2003, 11:07 PM
I'd have to go with Fulci, even though Argento is flashy and all... Fulci has a way of creating an atmosphere that is thick and ripe with terror. I don't always agree with him either, but when his stuff works, it works on every level.

dwatts
04-17-2003, 11:55 PM
Well, this is a tricky one on an emotional level. Emotionally, I want to go for the little guy, the less critically acclaimed and hail some of his work as some of the greatest out there. I watched The Beyond tonight, and I swear, of all the DVD’s I own – this is the one that just gives me back more and more every single time I play it. It is a masterpiece in the very truest sense of the word.

But when I get to his later works, and even things like City of the Living Dead, I think Fulci I far off the top of his game. “Going through the motions” comes to mind. Don’t get me wrong, I own it and watch it occasionally – but there is enough wrong with it that I can’t help but think it’s a bit lazy.

Now – Argento is more stylish, sometimes even style over substance. Yet, the technical details of what he does is just incredible. He has films with flaws, but no matter what it is his work just has that little something extra that makes people like me (uneducated film watchers) start to appreciate the art form beyond severed heads and zombies. Hi films are just more solid.

So honestly, you simply cannot choose between the two. No horror collection is complete without both of these guys represented. I would not trade one for the other - ever! But, if you ask “who is better”, I have to go for Argento. This is no way disses the work of Fulci. I love it.

Grim
04-18-2003, 12:09 AM
Argento, I love the dream-like quality his films have. Fulci is great too, The Beyond is in my top 20, but Argento is just bad ass.

Also, having Goblin do his soundtracks doesn't hurt Argento either.:D

zombi3
04-18-2003, 04:29 PM
That's a tough one indeed. I voted for old Lucio because in general I find his films more entertaining. He's got some of the greatest gore scenes ever put on celluliod. Fulci also has proven himself to be competent in almost every genre. However, if we were voting on the basis of style and imagination, my choice would be Dario. Hell, they're both great!:evil:

Atmims
04-18-2003, 05:06 PM
Fulci is my favorite of the two. Argento can make a more solid film but Fulci's atmosphere impresses me more.

hell ya!
04-18-2003, 05:30 PM
Dario is my Fav director so i'm going with him.

slasher vorhees
04-20-2003, 08:31 AM
argento since all of his movies kickass my last one opera is my least favorite but it still is excellent.Fulci's movies are very good but I haven't seen a lot of his.

Mortis
04-20-2003, 11:15 AM
I'm not going to choose either one. I'm happy that they both made a lot of cool flicks for me to watch. Why does there always have to be a best?

ekent
04-20-2003, 05:24 PM
I don't like either of these guys very much but I choose Fulci because I like Zombie a lot, and nothing else. The only thing I like from Argento is his cut of Dawn and 2 Evil Eyes.

geekcccp
11-20-2003, 05:03 PM
I go with Argento because his movies always have a real nice pace to them. Fulci films always give the feeling that they are 4 hours long, but I still think that hes a great director. Did anyone else think that Zombi felt like it was a marathon movie?

Ash28M
11-20-2003, 05:14 PM
You have to go with Argento here, Even though i like Fulci. Argento has about 10 films that are better then Fulci best film IMHO.

etale
11-20-2003, 09:41 PM
Definitely Argento.
He's the master!!!!!

Tuzotonic
06-09-2004, 02:45 AM
Sorry guys but I think Fulci is one of the most overrated horror directors ever with Tobe Hooper a close second. However with saying that I admit I am a little biased since Argento is one of my favorite horror directors.

Il Corvo
06-09-2004, 02:53 AM
Fulci - Gore
Argento - Style

I prefer style :p .

6thdoctor
06-14-2004, 06:15 AM
Dario Argento. Still one of the most under-rated director's around.

Dari Argent
06-14-2004, 12:44 PM
I like both guys very much. They both made wonderful classics in my favourite genre. I like Dario just a little bit more...

Lyle Horowitz
06-14-2004, 01:27 PM
Argento by a mile. Fulci represents what I dislike in horror movies. Without gore, Fulci would be nothing. The only Fucli film I like is Zombie (I have a copy of City of the Living Dead here though, and from what I've seen it's a lot of fun). I never understood so-called "gorehounds", but I know that Argento uses gore to further a story (i.e. Deep Red).

Tom Servo
06-15-2004, 02:42 AM
I'm a fan of both, but with a gun to my head I chose Dario just because I saw his work first.

satanservant
06-21-2004, 10:34 PM
Had to choose Dario. His style was and is very unique but I love fulci as well for his slow torture shots and the gore.

Gothic Queen
07-07-2004, 10:18 PM
Dario's Susperia has stayed in my mind longer than most works by Fulci and who can compete with the atmosphere he created. My favorite scenes include the razor wire room and the "it's raining maggots" scene. Chillingly haunting...I love it. I even named my cat Dario

x666x
07-07-2004, 10:26 PM
Dario

jasonmperry70
07-08-2004, 11:14 AM
I'd have to go with Fulci, as his films are a little more accessable than Argento's, in my opinion. If I'm watching an Argento film, I tend to try and dig too deep to find the hidden meaning.

The Chaostar
07-08-2004, 03:38 PM
Dario of course.
Fulci has great moments of course, but he is more of a craftsman than an artist. Argento is his best moments uses both to the maximum.

evildeadfan123
07-08-2004, 03:47 PM
I like them both. Dario made Susperia, which I truly like. But he also did an international cut to Dawn of the Dead, and also Demons 1 and 2. But Fulci, made Zombie 2, aka Zombie Flesh Eaters, The Beyond, Gates of Hell, House by The Cemetary, to name a few. A lean more towards Fulci, because of his Zombie movies.

Crystal Plumage
07-08-2004, 06:11 PM
I voted Argento.There's a few of his movies that are weak.
Fulci has a few that are good.
Still I enjoy both.

indiephantom
07-08-2004, 07:30 PM
both are brilliant, but I had to go with Argento. His films are far more rewatchable. Both this guys really get under the skin.

Favorite Argento's:
Opera
Suspiria
Tenebrae

Favorite Fulci's
The New York Ripper
The Beyond
Contraband

:evil:

RyanPC
07-08-2004, 10:30 PM
Wow I voted for Fulci a long time ago and just realized I hadn't actually posted in the thread. Since then my opinions have changed, because I've seen more of Argento's movies - I love both filmmakers very much, but Argento has more films in his filmography that I enjoy than Fulci.

life_o_petey
07-09-2004, 09:33 PM
I won't talk about how much i hate Fulci (though i'm always tempted to), so i'll just say Argento.

Evil Dead Guy
07-09-2004, 11:23 PM
Dario Argento cause he has style and a plot , giallo has always been my favorite theme . There is only a few films by Lucio Fulci i do like but Dario Argento is a more in the master of the arts and Fulci is a more of a master in gore . R.I.P Fulci at least you have made some classic films " The Beyond , House By The Cemetery , City Of The Living Dead , Zombie "

latenite
07-11-2004, 01:35 AM
Most everything Fulci did, Argento did and did it better. I know there are alot of diehard Fulci fans, but I don't really see what the big deal is. I thought The Beyond was complete crap. New York Ripper and Zombie were pretty good, I'll give him that. House by the Cemetary, Don't Torture a Duckling were very average.

sacateca
09-05-2004, 08:35 AM
If you ask me some of you people have it backwards :) Argento's films have no depth as far as meaning/subtext goes (and i mean they are not intentional, as in they don't refer outside of themselves), they are merely subconscious nightmarish visions, very beautiful and haunting at that at their best, but often for me his style is hit and miss.
Fulci has everything thought out, and it shows, even if i don't always know what he's trying to say, it's clear to me that there is more to the movie than meets the eye.

As for technique and pure style, i'd say they are equal. Sometimes Fulci does very badly in these regards, but so does Argento (i cringe when i see some scenes of Tenebrae, for example), Fulci's worst moment being House by the Cemetery.

So my vote goes for Fulci. Both are visionaries, however, but to my mind Fulci offers much more.

SACATECA

John Gargo
09-05-2004, 07:33 PM
Argento, although I enjoy Fulci as well.

Morg
09-05-2004, 08:59 PM
Two very different filmmakers. I had to think about this for minute before I came to my realization, simply because I'm a huge fan of both directors, and own many of their movies. My favor kept on leaning towards Argento as I weighed their movies in comparison. I'm not one to usually hold people in a certain light of, "he's my favorite director, he's my second favorite director", ECT. Either I hold them in high esteem or I don't. Well, these two I hold in very high esteem for many reasons, and I had to ask myself, If I was stuck on a desert island...you know the rest, and Argento prevailed as the one who's movies I'd have to choose in this cliche ridden scenario.
Tenebrae
Deep Red
Suspiria
Opera
Can O' Nine Tails
The Bird With The Crystal Plumage
Sleepless
Trauma
Phenomena
To me all solid movies that I never tire of. Fulci on the other hand, a career with more hits and misses than Argento, IMO. For every "The Beyond", there's a "Sweet house of Horrors", for every "Zombie", there's a "Demonia". I simply cannot weigh Argento's movies the same way. Certainly, Phantom of the Opera comes to mind, but Argento does not have enough "misses" to counter his "hits" as Fulci does. And I also got to thinking, where would directors like Michele Soavi and Lamberto Bava be without their occasional mentor in Dario Argento?

The more I thought about it, the more it became clear to me that - if I had to choose - the superior filmmaker would have to be Dario Argento.

x666x
09-05-2004, 09:52 PM
Morg is right on the money. While Aregento has some weak films, he has shown brilliance in most of his work. All films by both directors are flawed to a certain point, but Argento clearly has a technical edge. IMO, the Card Player is a very entertaining piece of work even though it is not Argento's best. But some bad Fulci films are just plain terrible with nothing to save them.

For example, in the AB Once Upon A Time in Italy boxset, there is Fulci's western, Four Men of the Apocalypse. It starts out a truly more violent than most westerns as per Fulci's trademark, but man, it gets so slow and boring so fast that it sunk itself to the bottom in comparison to the rest in the set. Argento does have a tendancy to spread out some nice scenes even throughout his most boring of films still leaving the viewer with, at least, the eye candy of architecture, lighting, etc. With Fulci, his only edge is gore, and without it, he would not have a career.

Andrew
09-05-2004, 10:01 PM
With Fulci, his only edge is gore, and without it, he would not have a career.That couldn't be further from the truth. LIZARD IN A WOMAN'S SKIN and MURDER TO THE TUNE OF THE SEVEN BLACK NOTES are both superb gialli with very little gore or bloodshed at all. Fulci was a true craftsman, and while my personal preference is Argento, it's impossible to look past the talents of the man whose career covered so many genres.

moogong
09-05-2004, 10:28 PM
Lucio Fulci. There are just too many of Argentos movies that have failed to grow on me after repeated viewings.

sacateca
09-05-2004, 10:28 PM
but Argento clearly has a technical edge. eye candy of architecture, lighting, etc / With Fulci, his only edge is gore, and without it, he would not have a career.

Well, as far as i'm concerned i don't care about technical edge, but am much more interested in what the film is trying to say, or what the film says to me. Argento's films, most of them anyway, are very little else but eye-candy (this is not completely true, but in this case it's close enough to get my point across).

i don't like Fulci because of gore, and i think contrary to popular opinion, he used gore to make a point, and it's not in his movies for self-serving purposes. His films are not accessible, however, to people who are not willing to commit themselves and look past the surface.
From what i've read in this forum, it seems to me that people who dislike Fulci, and Euro-horror in general, care more about technical prowess, and eye-candy, than what the movie possibly could say (and since Argento makes his movies first and foremost aesthetics in mind, it's understandable he proves to be more popular). But Europe, Italy especially, has a very different kind of tradition of movies than the US. Their whole approach is different, and this must be understood.

But true is also, that i like them both, and get much out of watching Argento's movies, too.

SACATECA

X-human
09-05-2004, 10:37 PM
where would directors like Michele Soavi and Lamberto Bava be without their occasional mentor in Dario Argento?

Well, at least in Lamberto Bava's case, I would gather that his father Mario Bava was MUCH more influential then Dario Argento. Where would Argento and Fulci be without Mario Bava?

Morg
09-06-2004, 07:59 PM
Well, at least in Lamberto Bava's case, I would gather that his father Mario Bava was MUCH more influential then Dario Argento. Where would Argento and Fulci be without Mario Bava?
I almost mentioned that too, but felt like I was too long winded as it was, but I totally agree with you. Bava is an extraordinary filmmaker, and I'm sure was much more of an influence and inspiration on Lamberto than Argento could ever be. This guy's been surrounded by phenomenal filmmakers. And to this day we see the influence of Mario Bava in many films.

vampyr789
12-26-2008, 03:04 AM
excuse me!! what about Mario Bava???

Dario vs. Lucio vs. Mario

Myron Breck
12-26-2008, 04:55 AM
I really don't care for Argento's hollow, stylish brand of "horror." I have tried many, many times and cannot stand it; I much prefer Fulci. I realize, after a few years on this site, that this opinion is not shared by most. Oh well. :)

Erick H.
12-26-2008, 09:25 AM
Both are worthy.Argento perhaps fares better because he has had more control over his own projects than Fulci did.Keep in mind that the two were of different generations.Fulci was a contemporary of Mario Bava(who was a mentor to Argento).Bava was a brilliant,tremendously talented director who was often working as a hired gun.He improved every project he was involved in but he was often starting out with somebody elses subpar material and VERY tight budgets.That he was able to do what he did with what he had to work with was amazing.Every horror fan should light a candle to him.

Fulci was from the same school,he was often a hired hand,brought in on some producers half baked,poorly financed projects.That he managed to turn out some exceptional work despite those circumstances is impressive.The budget of ZOMBIE wouldn't have payed for the catering on THE DARK KNIGHT.Unlike Argento (who has stuck to horror except his obscure black comedy THE FIVE DAYS) he was also a Jack of All trades,he worked in numerous genres(comedies,crime ,fantasy,Euro westerns etc.),showing flair in many of them.He was in effect a company man,even though he was a rebellious one.

Argento started out with more control than Fulci did and he largely generated his own projects,he worked on what he wanted to,not on things he was assigned to.Also he often had somewhat larger budgets than Fulci (who was especially cash strapped in his later years).With more personal control,more money and more time Argento was often able to make more polished films.His personal vision was less apt to be thwarted by a tight fisted producer.
All told I will give this to Argento.His projects were less compromised overall.Fulci made a lot more films,though,and had he had more money and say in his career this might well be a much harder decission.

DVD-fanatic-9
12-26-2008, 06:59 PM
Argento. Greatest horror director in the entire genre.

Fulci did some good stuff, but never truly mastered filmmaking, let alone the horror genre. He did however kind of invent his own type of horror. And that's pretty remarkable.

However, Argento wins this one for me. No contest.

Harry Warden
12-26-2008, 09:10 PM
Argento of the two, but Mario Bava tops them all!!

pdw
12-26-2008, 11:57 PM
I think Argento is the better craftsman... But Fulci is good at atmosphere.
Hmmm. If I had to chose, it'd be Argento by a hair.

old-boo-radley
12-27-2008, 01:02 AM
Fulci did some good stuff, but never truly mastered filmmaking, let alone the horror genre. He did however kind of invent his own type of horror. And that's pretty remarkable..

After watching all of his classic flicks, I'm still trying to figure out what Dario Argento mastered, exactly. I don't hate his films, but I've found few that I didn't find to be overrated. For what my opinion's worth, I think the only reason people think Argento's gialli are considerably (or at all) better than Fulci's is because they haven't watched Fulci's to begin with, not to mention they don't have a mystique built up behind them because they were harder to find for so long.

dave13
12-27-2008, 04:53 AM

thats what im talking 'bout

Body Boy
12-27-2008, 05:39 AM
I love 'em both, but I prefer Argento.

But if Mario Bava was in this poll, I'd say him. He's my favorite Italian director. Even his weakest entires, like 5 Dolls for an August Moon, have something brilliant about the photography and results of the story. Plus, he made the giallo film genre with 'The Girl Who Knew Too Much' and 'Blood and Black Lace'. Black Sabbath look amazing and Bay of Blood is a colorful film that I can watch over and over without growing tired of it. Don't even get me started on Lisa and the Devil's look. Although personally, I thought his Black&White features worked just as well also.

Anyways, end post...:)

Matt89
12-27-2008, 05:48 AM
Fulci did some good stuff, but never truly mastered filmmaking, let alone the horror genre.

Precisely.

~Matt

DVD-fanatic-9
12-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Precisely.
~Matt
Well thank you. I don't know if the guy needed more time or money or both. Even though I have gotten my digs in over The Beyond, I won't say for a second that many times throughout the course of the film I was thinking- he's really onto something. He was close, many times. Several sequences in Beyond, Zombie, and House by the Cemetery are beyond striking. But his stories weren't just unfocused or vaguely told. They were so sloppy, you could paint the wall with them and it would look like raw hamburg. His style never enhanced the stories at all, not like Argento did. He just made them more laughable. Or irritating. Maybe as I say this, I'm just being oversensitive about the tarantula scene. Not that that alone doesn't give me a reason. That is probably the worst scene I've ever had to sit through in horror history and I've seen a lot of horror movies. Nobody else ever just kept going with less than Fulci had during that scene. He must have been out of his mind when he did that. And that's a scene in the movie people call his greatest cinematic achievement.

So as I compliment him, because I do very much enjoy Zombie (until the last 35 minutes of the movie) and House by the Cemetery, and Manhattan Baby (my favorite of his films - yes, you heard me right)... all his films were problematic. Thank God for DVD, you can just skip the chapters that suck or fast forward over the many bad moments. Especially in City of the Living Dead. Which again, does have something none of his other movies seem to have. I especially love that ending. After the murder of the journalist reporter guy, another stupid and pointless brain ripping scene when the 2nd one didn't even need to be there. The guy was more reptitive than a whole barrelful of Argento imitators. But the more I watch his movies, the more I can't believe how despite his ineptness, he managed to create ugly gothic scenes as good as that stained-glass crypt where the zombies begin to burst into flames. That was truly an epic ending. And I say it's better than the ending of The Beyond.

I've seen 3 of his films - Black Sunday, Bay of Blood / Twitch of the Death Nerve, and The Girl Who Knew Too Much. And there is no doubt in my mind that Argento is vastly superior as a director. Since I've seen this place has Argento bashers, I think it's only fair to say I don't have a clue what people are smoking when they praise Bava. Oh, there were short bursts of serious talent in Twitch and Sunday, but it wasn't sustained throughout the entire film.

To be fair, I would probably be singing Black Sunday's praises from the rooftop - if Bava had gone with a different music score. It was a creepy looking fiilm. But the music was awful. My problem with Bay is the motivation for the killings - money. That's downright pathetic. He's got an amazingly tense and atmospheric movie going... then halfway through, he reveals it to be like Clue. Or some half-assed Hitchcock movie rip-off. Why do I care about one of the victims' fortunes?? What kind of motivation is that for a horror movie?? It ceases being tense and interesting at that moment and follows the killers around as they're now being stalked by an unknown, menacing figure who is then revealed to be another fortune-hunter who is then followed as they're being stalked by an unknown... It's absolutely ridiculous! And the male characters are the only ones with any kind of back story. The women are all portrayed as conniving whores. Basically- all having the same motivation. And I thought the ending was a stinking joke.

Then, I never felt there was any danger in Girl. So it didn't surprise me when I learned it was supposed to be a send-up or a satire or a dark comedy, etc. However, since the only version available is the cruddy Italian-language version with much of the American-version humor removed, it's not much fun at all. Although, I loved the "smoking" ending a lot. I listened to the Tim Lucas (??) commentary and the American ending doesn't sound as good as the Italian one. So, 1 point for the Italian version. However, I won't let any of this discourage me from seeing Kill Baby Kill or Lisa and the Devil, which are on my Netflix list to rent. Soon as I trek up to the mailbox in the 10-degree weather to fetch Eyes Without a Face and then send that one back.

After watching all of his classic flicks, I'm still trying to figure out what Dario Argento mastered, exactly. I don't hate his films, but I've found few that I didn't find to be overrated. For what my opinion's worth, I think the only reason people think Argento's gialli are considerably (or at all) better than Fulci's is because they haven't watched Fulci's to begin with, not to mention they don't have a mystique built up behind them because they were harder to find for so long.
Well, when I was watching Argento's films for the first time I didn't know what to expect. But after seeing the trailers, I set my expectations pretty high. And Suspiria, Phenomena, Stendhal, Bird, and Deep Red didn't just meet them, or even exceed them - they shattered them altogether. Just so you know where I'm coming from. I'm always going to be in-awe of Argento. Even with films like Mother of Tears or Four Flies, which aren't very good, but are still better than so many imitators could ever hope to be.

Guess I'm not very good at explaining it.

The Chaostar
12-27-2008, 02:14 PM
No, you are probably good at it.
Argento is the man. Period.

spawningblue
12-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Argento
- better stories, more stylish and daring Direction
- some bad music choices in a few of his flicks

Fulci
- amazing atmosphere, great gore and creative kills
- no plots whatsoever

Flicks that I think were great from each director:

Argento - Deep Red, Suspiria, Bird with the Crystal Plumage, Tenebre

Fulci - The Beyond, Zombie, City of the Living Dead

Overall I have to go with Argento as his films as a whole hold up much better, and he was definitely the more competent Director. If we just compared certain scenes or kills though, Fulci wins by far. Not too many "best kills" lists without a Fulci scene or two thrown in.

As for Mario Bava, I have only seen two of his movies, but loved both of them. Once I go through the two Anchor Bay boxsets though he could definitely be a contender.

spawningblue
12-29-2008, 08:12 PM
DVDFanatic you should check out Mario Bava's Black Sabbath and Blood and Black Lace, I loved both of them!

As for the spider scene in The Beyond, yes it's a little long but I don;t see why there is so much hate towards it. It's a nice gore filled scene that i think works pretty good considering the low budget. It definitely wasn't bad enough to ruin the movie for me. I do agree with you about City of the Living Dead though. The ending in the crypt is amazing! Actually I love that whole movie. Every year I watch it and each year I seem to like it more and more. The whole movie just oozes with atmosphere, as well, it has some of the best kills ever in my opinion, as well. Actually I might just like City more then The Beyond, although to be fair I have only seen The Beyond once.

As for Phenomena. I found it quite boring until the last act of the movie, though that was so good that it made up for the rest of the film. Not one of Argento's best in my opinion though.

DVD-fanatic-9
12-29-2008, 09:47 PM
No, you are probably good at it.
Argento is the man. Period.
Very well- I'm sold. :D

Argento
- better stories, more stylish and daring Direction
- some bad music choices in a few of his flicks

Fulci
- amazing atmosphere, great gore and creative kills
- no plots whatsoever

Flicks that I think were great from each director:

Argento - Deep Red, Suspiria, Bird with the Crystal Plumage, Tenebre

Fulci - The Beyond, Zombie, City of the Living Dead
Films that I think were great from each director:

Argento - Deep Red, Suspiria, Bird with the Crystal Plumage, Phenomena, Opera, Tenebre, The Stendhal Syndrome, Masters of Horror: Jenifer, and Tenebre (just under the wire)

Fulci - ...
... ... ...

Films that I think were good from each director:

Argento - Four Flies on Grey Velvet, Inferno, Trauma, Mother of Tears

Fulci - Zombie, House by the Cemetery

Films that I think were passable from each director:

Argento - Cat o' Nine Tails

Fulci - The Beyond, City of the Living Dead, Manhattan Baby

DVDFanatic you should check out Mario Bava's Black Sabbath and Blood and Black Lace, I loved both of them!
I'm open to that and am willing to see all his movies.

As for the spider scene in The Beyond, yes it's a little long but I don;t see why there is so much hate towards it. It's a nice gore filled scene that i think works pretty good considering the low budget.
It's silly, repulsive, fake-looking, and stupid. A little long? Try: over 4 minutes long! "Nice"? Only if you really love to point out how fake certain FX look. Look, I'm not trying to tear down anyone's enjoyment of it. But, a person would have to be blind not to notice it looks like crap and last over 2 minutes from the first spider bite to the last spurt of blood, plus another 2 minutes for the spiders to crawl on screen. It could have been one of the most memorable scenes in horror history, but it couldn't be more obvious that half the spiders are fake (and look it), and that the head is mostly a bad dummy (and looks it).

I do agree with you about City of the Living Dead though. The ending in the crypt is amazing! Actually I love that whole movie. Every year I watch it and each year I seem to like it more and more. The whole movie just oozes with atmosphere, as well, it has some of the best kills ever in my opinion, as well. Actually I might just like City more then The Beyond, although to be fair I have only seen The Beyond once.
I've seen City maybe twice all the way through and The Beyond at least 7, maybe 8 times. As for City, I don't love the whole movie. The make-up looks awful. Talk about taking you right out of the mood / atmosphere of the movie! Emily looks like crap, there are too many brain-squishing scenes, the scene with the Black Detective questioning all the psychics is squirmingly bad (the dialogue is so horribly translated into English, it's painful!), and the whole Bob subplot is infuriatingly stupid. All these things take me right out of the very good atmosphere. But it's redeemed toward the end. There are a lot of very good scenes toward the middle and end of the movie. Especially, the ones with Jerry or Mary at the funeral home / mortuary (the music as they go into the room and all the coffin doors are open), the scene where JonJon calls to tell Jerry that Emily's killed her family, and the very strange scene in Sandra's house- especially when they go up to the attic and the walls drip with blood.

My beef with Fulci is that he knows how to get your attention, he knows how to start a great horror film... He just always screws it up. Every one of his movies have at least 2 or 3 astronomically-sized flaws. His movies are always incredible set-ups for disappointment.

As for Phenomena. I found it quite boring until the last act of the movie, though that was so good that it made up for the rest of the film. Not one of Argento's best in my opinion though.
I disagree. It does look like one of his cheapest movies, of that era in his career. But as usual, Argento uses it to his advantage. Phenomena is almost like a movie Fulci should have made. There's a lot of emphasis on splatter and creature FX and they look pretty bad too... but they don't hurt the movie. Also slightly Fulci-esque is how ugly and dirty the movie looks. But Argento takes that Claudio Simonetti and Bill Wyman music, the amazing camerawork, and art direction - and makes it an amazing series of set pieces. I would honestly go out on a limb and say, if you like the director, you'll appreciate and see the genius and the effectiveness of the movie. If you saw it in Deep Red, Suspiria, Opera, etc. And I never do this with most directors, I usually spend more time indicating differences from film to film. But Argento was very consistent around this time in his career. I say Phenomena is Argento's 4th greatest film.

spawningblue
12-29-2008, 10:44 PM
I forgot about Inferno and Opera. I liked Inferno a lot, and thought Opera was good, if not great.

DVD-fanatic-9
12-29-2008, 11:00 PM
It took me a while to warm up to Opera but now I consider it his 3rd masterpiece.

satans-sadists
12-30-2008, 06:15 PM

Summed up perfectly! :)

dave13
12-30-2008, 07:58 PM
It took me a while to warm up to Opera but now I consider it his 3rd masterpiece.

Opera is one of my favorite argento films to show to non giallo fans. Its fantastically entertaining and well made, yet one of argento's most fast-paced and easily accessible at the same time.

stephen36
02-04-2011, 12:15 PM
Lucio Fulci VS Dario Argento....no contest.

I picked Dario Argento because he is one of horror cinemas greatest directors and his list of great movies speak for itself (Suspiria,Deep Red,Tenebrae,Bird with the crystal plumage etc etc).

Except for a few films(The Beyond and City of the living dead) Lucio Fulci cannot compete with Argento in terms of greatness...plus Fulci made what is for me the worst horror film ever mde...The New York Ripper.

Steel76
02-04-2011, 04:38 PM
...plus Fulci made what is for me the worst horror film ever mde...The New York Ripper.

WHAT!??!?:eek:
New York Ripper is a masterpiece of nasty sleaze and grue :)

Shame on you, sir! ;) hehe

Ash28M
02-04-2011, 04:41 PM
WHAT!??!?:eek:
New York Ripper is a masterpiece of nasty sleaze and grue :)

Shame on you, sir! ;) hehe

yeah I really enjoy New York Ripper as well.

Anaestheus
02-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Apparently I have read this thread many times but never actually voted.

For me, Argento wins out. Even considering his recent work, I still find him more interesting. I do think he has gotten pretty lazy over the past decade, but his work up until Stendahl was so solid, original, and unique that I can't help but love him, even if I do acknowledge that he is an acquired taste. Yes, his stories can be full of lunacy, but I think it worked well in his earlier films and, to me, he always pulled them off with bravura. Even his lesser (early) films, such as Flies, Cat, and Trauma are at least solid when they're not brilliant.

I will certainly defend Fulci against detractors, but I find him to be a more limited director. Someone once said that he was only as good as what his crew put up in front of the camera. And I have to agree with that. So, his gore films have great gore. But, the acting, pacing, lazy storytelling and sloppy editing drag them down. However, his giallo that had less emphasis on gore, Lizard and Perversion, are pretty damn slick. For me his best film is Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. That seems to be the one film where everything came together nicely.

So, while Argento's flaws come from either a feverish sense of imagination in the early years or just plain laziness in the latter, Fulci's flaws seem to come more from a lack of control.

rhett
02-04-2011, 08:56 PM
I voted back in 2003 and stand by my Fulci vote more than ever. As I've veered off the beaten path and watched more of his later or maligned work, I respect him even more as an artist. I'd disagree with my man Anaestheus in that Fulci's films were only as good as his crew. He used the TROLL 2 crew for DOOR INTO SILENCE, and even without much gore, violence or nudity, he was still able to create a really exciting, provocative and personal picture that ranks right up there with his more renowned work. I see a lot more of Fulci's personality in his films - Argento's I see more flash but less intrigue. Argento has some amazingly personal and deep pictures, like Tenebre or The Stendhal Syndrome, don't get me wrong, but when you look at the entire body of work - and both have sizable ones, Fulci's to me always come through with a lot more heart. Fulci really wins the battle if you look only at their later careers, since Argento's films seem to be getting worse and worse with each telling, while Fulci put up some of his most interesting stuff, like DOOR or CAT IN THE BRAIN, before kicking the bucket.

Regardless, thank god we have both of 'em!

rhett
02-04-2011, 08:57 PM
I voted back in 2003 and stand by my Fulci vote more than ever. As I've veered off the beaten path and watched more of his later or maligned work, I respect him even more as an artist. I'd disagree with my man Anaestheus in that Fulci's films were only as good as his crew. He used the TROLL 2 crew for DOOR INTO SILENCE, and even without much gore, violence or nudity, he was still able to create a really exciting, provocative and personal picture that ranks right up there with his more renowned work. I see a lot more of Fulci's personality in his films - Argento's I see more flash but less intrigue. Argento has some amazingly personal and deep pictures, like Tenebre or The Stendhal Syndrome, don't get me wrong, but when you look at the entire body of work - and both have sizable ones, Fulci's to me always come through with a lot more heart. Fulci really wins the battle if you look only at their later careers, since Argento's films seem to be getting worse and worse with each telling, while Fulci put up some of his most interesting stuff, like DOOR or CAT IN THE BRAIN, before kicking the bucket.

Regardless, thank god we have both of 'em!

joltaddict
02-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Most everything Fulci did, Argento did and did it better.

Most everything Argento did Lynch did and did it better. When I want dream logic nightmares I usually reach for Eraserhead or El Topo. But when I want Fulchi theres only one place to go. :D

Dont get me wrong I love Dario, they all get play here, even the more maligned ones like Mother of Tears and Pelts, but Fulchi is fucking Fulchi. I only wish he made more movies. The only one I havent seen is Lizard. And Im kinda putting off seeing that because I know I wont have any more to look forward to.

shithead
02-06-2011, 03:11 AM
I really can't choose...I enjoy their films equally.

I love the exploitive and grimy nature of Fulci's films, and I love Argento's style and the way he shoots his murder scenes to look like works of fucking art!

DVD-fanatic-9
02-06-2011, 06:46 PM
Most everything Argento did Lynch did and did it better. When I want dream logic nightmares I usually reach for Eraserhead or El Topo.
Are you saying Lynch's films are better for making no sense? Or, that they're better because they actually make sense?

Anyway, Argento and Lynch are completely incompatable. You say you love Dario but you prefer Lynch. So, this is coming from someone who doesn't like Lynch at all: I love Dario and these guys are nothing alike. Hell, I'm surprised you didn't try to mention De Palma in connection with Argento because those directors have a lot more in common than him and Lynch. (Oh, and... Cronenberg trumps Lynch. And - for me - so do Peter Weir, Bernard Rose, and George Sluizer).

As for Fulci... there's no way to take him seriously. People who try just don't get it. They're expressing more in themselves than anything else. Which can be amusing to read, so I'm not knocking it. Anymore. Though I agree with stephen36 on New York Ripper and want to quote a friend from another message board, it's: "bullshit shitting shit." Absolutely one of the worst films ever made, judging mostly by content and lack of respect for the audience's intelligence.

joltaddict
02-07-2011, 04:50 AM
Anyway, Argento and Lynch are completely incompatable.

About the same as the quote I was responding to. :lol: