PDA

View Full Version : Do You Still Read Fangoria?

rhett
02-06-2010, 08:17 PM
With news all over the net that FANGORIA may be closing its doors after decades of horror journalism, it's time to ask: to they have the readership to be missed? Do you still read them? Or more broadly, do you still read horror magazines in print anymore?

bwana the clown
02-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Nah, dropped my subscription in the very early 90s. Got sick of reading about how awesome every new movie was going to be.

May have picked up a few horror mags since then, but not anymore. All the information I need is right here.

Grim
02-06-2010, 08:39 PM
I've only bought one issue in my entire life, back in high school, and it was cluttered with pages and pages of bullshit about the first Ring movie (the remake). That was enough to turn me off. I don't buy magazines. I truly think they're a dying form with all you can find on great sites like Shocktillyoudrop, Dread Central, Bloody Disgusting, etc.

dave13
02-06-2010, 08:52 PM
i was aware of fangoria growing up, but never actually found an issue of it to buy. after i got online, i just stuck with that. i've never liked magazines. and to be honest, sites like shocktillyoudrop and bloodydisgusting have never been big draws for me. the only times i ever visit them is when somebody here links to an article there. i'd been following dread central as far back as when they were called creature corner, up untill a few years ago. maybe its my changing tastes, but it seemed like when control switched from johnny butane to uncle creepy, the site became a lot more fanboyish. article after article about action figures and comic books. not really my thing. i still pop by every couple of weeks or so, but i certainly don't rely on them for news. as far as im concerned, if there's something worth knowing in the horror circle, it will appear on these boards, right here.

the sites i check daily for news/reviews are as follows, in order:

horror digital
the digital bits
dvdbeaver
dvdtalk

...and then i'm done.

satans-sadists
02-06-2010, 09:01 PM
I used to buy Fangoria. Stopped doing so in the late 90's. Never had a subscription though. I really got tired of collecting horror magazines. Takes up too much room around the house and many of them aren't even worth the cover price. Websites are better for me and they don't fill up closets.

old-boo-radley
02-06-2010, 09:20 PM
I bought one issue in 2003 with Freddy vs. Jason and it was mostly crappy. That magazine is not for me. Maybe in '88, sure... but not now.

FilmFiend
02-06-2010, 09:45 PM
I started reading Fango in the early 80s but I stopped in the mid 1990s. It got to expensive me to keep buying. It was pretty good to me in the 80s, but as the 90s went on I don't think the magazine was as good. I remeber reading the Video Eye of Dr. Cyclops and hoping the local mom and pop stores would get the latest trashy videos I'd read about. Most of the times they did.

I haven't subscribed to a magazine for nearly 10 years. A lot of them are just way to much$$$.

f.ramses
02-06-2010, 11:48 PM
The first one I bought was August 1994 and the last one I bought was June 1999. In between those issues I bought 3 other issues of Fangoria. I seldom even look at this one in the bookstore unless I really like what's on the cover or something.

Harry Warden
02-06-2010, 11:50 PM
Absolutely. Loyal follower. I have every issue and I've been a long time subscriber. Even though I love online news and horror sites, I will never give up this magazine unless it stop publishing.

msw7
02-07-2010, 12:51 AM
I gave up on them awhile ago, a few years or so for the print magazine, except for an occasional purchase, but I haven't even done that in over a year.

I still read them online though, until about 3 or 4 months ago, or if they had one of those obnoxious ads that blasted sound as soon as the page loaded (I quickly learned that I couldn't visit the site while at work...). I emailed them about the ads once, and actually received a very polite response that they'd be down soon. And they were, but came back at about the same time the article text turned gray. That's when I gave up completely.

Katatonia
02-07-2010, 01:14 AM
I browse through it in the store if I see it on the shelf...which usually takes a whole of 5-10 minutes. Do I read it? No. When's the last time I actually bought an issue? I honestly can't even remember.

The Chaostar
02-07-2010, 01:25 AM
Used to buy it fanatically. As years passed by, I became less and less interested. The reason: Good horror films weres not represented at all, just bad films, mostly mainstram. I mean, if you are really interested in horror, FANGORIA has become a very VERY bad source of information.

eric_angelus
02-07-2010, 01:37 AM
I still glance at it at work when the new once comes in...but I stopped buying it and reading anything in it almost 10 years ago now...which is a shame because it was so important to me in my youth.

Nasty Nate
02-07-2010, 01:48 AM
I still buy Fangoria sporadically. Last issue looked pretty shit-tastic so I grabbed a Metal Hammer instead.

Spit
02-07-2010, 02:41 AM
The last issue I picked up was the Quarantine issue, and I was unimpressed. Plus someone has pulled out the poster that was a supposed to be inside. Fangoira has been failing off for a long time, and I've been buying less and less of them over the last few years.

X-human
02-07-2010, 02:46 AM
Print is dead. Long live the new flesh!

bigwes15
02-07-2010, 04:08 AM
I have been a subscriber for more years than I can remember (back when they used to include the Castle Fangor wraparound for subscribers) and will, like Harry Warden and I guess nobody else here, continue until the hopefully far distant end. I still love print magazines and Fangoria is still the best, although it isn't what it used to be. Hopefully the addition of the new editor will shake things up and put the other contenders like Rue Morgue and Horrorhound in their place!

Wez4555
02-07-2010, 04:17 AM
No respectable horror fan reads fangoria anymore.

Erick H.
02-07-2010, 06:44 AM
Used to buy them occasionally and would always skim them in the store.Two years ago a friend gave me a subscription for Christmas and he renewed it this year.While I will say that the cover stories are not always to my liking I think that has more to do with the latest crop of horror films and not Fangoria itself.They do cover a lot of indies and the review sections often alert me to under the radar films that I will seek out.I also like the retro horror interviews with cast and crew members of vintage drive-in horrors that I recall from my youth.So ,yes,I'll admit it,I read it and I enjoy it.

Used to grab the U.K. import DARK SIDE too but,like a lot of mags in recent years,they finally folded.Online sites have gutted magazines,times change.The trick is to find GOOD sites and ignore the dross.

indiephantom
02-07-2010, 08:20 AM
No respectable horror fan reads fangoria anymore.

Bah. It's still a decent horror mag. I've been reading it again lately and while it's not what it used to be, there is always something worth reading. I like longer articles and a good spread of reviews. The issues I own date back to around 1984.

A new editor could make all of the difference, so I'll look forward to the next one.

I can't really say that for Horrorhound :rolleyes: Not really sure why people love that one so much.

Rue Morgue is another one I like to buy, but they are pricey and kind of hit and miss.

I actually prefer to read stuff like Shock Cinema if I'm going to go the fan-zine route.

allmessedup
02-07-2010, 09:57 AM
Don't think I've picked one up in over 20 years. My focus got to be more on older films, so they didn't seem to have what I was interested in. I've glanced through RUE MORGUE a few times, the focus seems a little too "young" for me.

It's not exactly horror, but I subscribe to VIDEO WATCHDOG. That's about it. Kind of lost interest in most of the smaller publications because they just started interviewing more and more obscure people. It was obvious they were pretty much out of material.

Hellbilly
02-07-2010, 10:10 AM
I bought every issue throughout the 80s and early 90s. After that only occasionally and I stopped alltogether in 2000.

maybrick
02-07-2010, 02:51 PM
Used to grab the U.K. import DARK SIDE too but,like a lot of mags in recent years,they finally folded.

I suspect that happened more from fallout over the plagiarism scandal that rocked the internet a few years back than from a natural decline of subscribers as is the case with most other periodicals. It was found that a large percentage of their issues were taken word for word and without permission from a large variety of horror websites.

Fumi
02-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Never bought it. Might have been nice back in the '80s, but these days I'm completely uninterested in mainstream remakes.

scott71670
02-07-2010, 03:55 PM
I still buy it faithfully every time it hits newsstands. Even though it covers films that are often dreck, I feel those films deserve coverage because over tiome as I have looked through back issues it becomes a document of the state of the industry, rather than a document for what "cool" fims were made. Besides, I get as much of a kick out of Dr. Cyclop's bashing the hell out of a lame DTV effort as I do about reading about the great films that are forthcoming. Besides, the trick is to look for the articles that bear the "Fango Seal of Approval". What they are basically saying with those are that the flick is pretty cool, and as yet I haven't been steered wrong. I go to Rue Morgue for the state of horror culture (Frankly as an art follower i feel that the art world is guilty of snobbery for ignoring some of these people covered), and I get Scary Monsters as I feel it covers old time nostalgia for the classics, and is basically the "Good Olde Days" of horrordom- yes, that is a compliment.

MrKateB
02-07-2010, 05:15 PM
I still buy it, but I haven't made a point of getting each and every issue...I loved it when it first came out, then I got fed up with all the wrestling coverage and stopped..I started buying it again when the 20th anniversary of Night of the Living Dead came around, and stuck with it through the early 90's, when most of the movies coming out stopped interesting me...That, and the fact that they praised every shit movie that came along, then 6 issues later they'd trash the same movie in their review columns...

Last couple of years they seemed to be doing more retro stuff, and they seemed to be pretty up on covering dvd releases etc. (even if only capsules), but that seems to be less and less...Nowadays, if I'm getting sick or something and need bedside trash literature I'll look for it, but I won't go out of my way unless there's something spectacular being covered.

_pi_
02-07-2010, 05:21 PM
I was a subscriber this past year (my last issue was the one with the Wolfman cover) but I don't think I'm renewing ... I'll probably just buy a copy now and then when there's something in there that interests me.

I've enjoyed all the issues, but I just haven't had much time to read any of them :( When I get my time back, I'll consider subscribing again.

russweiss
02-07-2010, 10:56 PM
My grandfather bought my first issue for me (#8 Zombie cover). I started subscribing with issue #13 and have been ever since. I collected lots of different horror mags over the years and while I rarely look at back issues I'm still glad to have them. Anyone else out there remember the old "Castle Fangor" wraparound covers that Fangoria used to put around their subscription magazines?

maybrick
02-07-2010, 11:00 PM
I was a subscriber this past year (my last issue was the one with the Wolfman cover) but I don't think I'm renewing ... I'll probably just buy a copy now and then when there's something in there that interests me.

Fangoria is expensive enough just using American dollars, I couldn't even imagine trying to afford a subscription with the way the Icelandic economy is right now. The exchange rate must be grotesque for you! :eek:

xdiggler
02-08-2010, 06:48 AM
Used to be a loyal reader in the 80's, but it became too expensive and too many "fluff" press kit articles. Kind of like Circus magazine for horror.

I do like Horrorhound. It is a bit cheesy, but it has a fanzine feel to it and great retro coverage on the classics.

Erick H.
02-08-2010, 08:44 AM
I suspect that happened more from fallout over the plagiarism scandal that rocked the internet a few years back than from a natural decline of subscribers as is the case with most other periodicals. It was found that a large percentage of their issues were taken word for word and without permission from a large variety of horror websites.

I seem to recall something about that.When I was picking them up the DVD boom was just about to blossom and the websites were still kinda in their infancy.Don't think I have one that's terribly current.Used to see it in specialty shops.

mlock
02-08-2010, 10:37 AM
For the past couple years I made it a habit of picking up the October issue (along with Rue Morgue) only. Can't really justify a yearly subscription unless of course if it was a gift.:)

Zillamon51
02-08-2010, 05:38 PM
I used to get every issue of Fangoria (and Gorezone for as long as it was around) in the late '80s - early '90s (my high school - early college years). It got too expensive, so I stopped buying (and there wasn't much happening in horror for a while pre-Scream).

Nowadays, I browse through it whenever I see an ish on the stands, but I only buy very rarely (usually if there's an article on something I'm way into, like Godzilla). I get my horror news from the Gorezone.net site (no relation to the old mag).

bloodthrill
02-08-2010, 06:11 PM
I make a trip to Barnes And Noble once a month and plop down in one of the comfy chairs with all of the horror mags in hand (Hound,Fango,Rue Morgue) to peruse them. I don't generally read the articles,(if I have money) and pick one to buy before leaving.

At around $8.99 a pop,it had better be one fucking excellent issue-I could snag a movie for that!

spawningblue
02-09-2010, 07:52 PM
I always wanted to get into collecting one of these horror mags but the price always steered me away. Anything over $5 is too much for a magazine in my opinion. Same reason I stopped reading Wizard which is a quarter of the size it used to be and twice as much. Makes no sense, magazines are already struggling to compete with the Internet with their outdated news, no reason they should be the same price as a novel.

HellRazor
02-10-2010, 06:04 AM
Even though there are better horror mags out and I get most of my reviews/news online I still buy and read Fangoria.

Sad that the days of print media are numbered, when we are all old we will look back and remember when there used to be horror mags.

Dobby
02-10-2010, 07:26 AM
Voted: Yes, newer reader but I like them. I occasionally buy they're magazine. I get Fangoria, Rue Morgue & a few others.

Richard Anthony
02-10-2010, 03:40 PM
I love Fangoria Magazine!! I have collected it since I first got into Horror Movies years ago and I still do now!! I remember back in the Horror Boom of the 80'S, Fango was THE Source to find out all of the Great Info on the Great Old and Upcoming Horror Movies and it got this young Horror Fan into so many other Horror Subgenres!! So, Fango has, and always will have, a special place in my heart. I don't care much for Rue Morgue, it caters too much to the Goth/Metal Crowd for me. I do really enjoy HorrorHound and I try to buy that one when I can or if it is a Special Issue. However, Fangoria is my Favorite and always will be!! I still have so many of the Old Fangoria Collectible Issues and the Classic Fangoria Magazines like the one with Fulci's Zombie on the Cover and the Friday The 13TH Covers!! I love Fangoria and I always will support it!! They still do some Great Retrospectives on Classic Horror Movies and some of the Covers are still pretty Wild and Cool to have and display in my Horror Collection as well!!

DrHerbertWest
02-11-2010, 03:51 PM
I don't buy magazines since I work at a store that sells them but whenever I choose to read one on my break, it's always Rue Morgue. They always have some cool cover story, they review lots of old obscure titles (It Came From The Basement and The Gore-met are two great columns) plus they have awesome retrospectives. Fangoria, to me, is like the Jessica Simpson of horror magazines (no one cares anymore) while Rue Morgue is more like Lady Gaga (even if you hate it, you can still find it interesting).

geeare
02-11-2010, 03:55 PM
i have been reading them since the 80's but it's not like i get every issue. i'll pick one up every now and then for bathroom reading material.

Alcarmovie
02-11-2010, 04:19 PM
I've been reading them since the first issue.I like to read the reviews of dvds.Then I go to Netflix and rent the movies They say are worthwhile.I also like to read about movies after I see them at the theater,to get some of the inside facts on them.I will be unhappy if they stop printing.

killit
02-19-2010, 03:18 AM
Used to buy it fanatically. As years passed by, I became less and less interested. The reason: Good horror films weres not represented at all, just bad films, mostly mainstram. I mean, if you are really interested in horror, FANGORIA has become a very VERY bad source of information.

what he said!

baggio
02-23-2010, 10:24 PM
I still get Fangoria. Have every issue since #1

maskull
02-24-2010, 03:47 AM
I love getting mags in the mail, so I've been thinking about subscribing to them. Unfortunately I think they only accept Pay Pal so I can't pay. I used to buy every new issue when I saw it on newsstands but haven't bought an issue in a couple of years....I could only afford one mag and I prefer Rue Morgue.

I'll prob pick up an occasional issue in the future, depending on which movies are being covered.

Erick H.
02-24-2010, 04:50 AM
The website is back up and revamped.Still got some bugs though,wouldn't let me register.

baggio
02-24-2010, 02:47 PM
I love getting mags in the mail, so I've been thinking about subscribing to them. Unfortunately I think they only accept Pay Pal so I can't pay. I used to buy every new issue when I saw it on newsstands but haven't bought an issue in a couple of years....I could only afford one mag and I prefer Rue Morgue.

I'll prob pick up an occasional issue in the future, depending on which movies are being covered.

Fangoria takes personal checks. At least that's how I pay for it. Maybe they changed it currently?