PDA

View Full Version : help me figure out an old horror movie please!

bloody stump
02-11-2001, 04:28 AM
in 1985 i rented a video that i cannot remember for the life of me. the picture on the box was very gory. that's why we rented it. i do not know the year it was made, who made it, or any actors. i was only 14 or 15 at the time. it may have been a european film, but i can't be sure.

my memories of it are more like small fragments. the bits i remember are as follows... a group of people travel to an island by small boat. perhaps an island off greece? once on the island, there is a large mansion. with a well outside. the is a young blind woman there. there is a scene with a man and women in a cave, where they find the lair of the killer. body parts everywhere. the killer returns and kills them in the cave? i can't be sure.
back at the mansion, the remaining people are running from the killer. someone hides in the attic with the blind woman, and then the killer reaches through a small hole in the roof and pulls the blind womens hair through the hole. killing her. something happened involving the well at the end, but i can't be sure what.

that's all i remember. not much. it scared the hell out of me, and was unlike any horror film i had seen at that age. that is why i am thinking it was from europe.

eibon
02-11-2001, 05:16 AM
sounds like Joe D'amato's classic "Anthropophagus" (aka Grim Reaper) to me. I unfortunately wasted my money on the extremely cut DVD ( under the Grim Reaper title), but have since picked up a good quality uncut VHS. This is one of my personal faves, some very creepy stuff.

bloody stump
02-11-2001, 05:32 AM
thanks! i never expected such a quick response. :)

now i will have to locate it on the internet. uncut version of course.
i live in the united states, so there is a good chance it's not even available here.

thanks again for the help.

bloody stump
02-11-2001, 05:49 AM
finished my research. that is definately the movie i saw! great!

sadly, the only version available in the US is the R rated 81 minute Grim Reaper. i can get it for a cheap $14 US, so it's not too bad.

maybe when i go to pick up Dead Alive tomorrow, i'll get grim reaper too. yes, dead alive. the US version of Braindead missing 7 great minutes of footage. oh well... :(

eibon
02-11-2001, 08:15 AM
come to New Zealand, we've got all the uncut Braindead copies you could ever want.

bloody stump
02-11-2001, 08:25 AM
my dvd will not play other regions.

besides, if i came to new zealand to buy DVDs, i would end up staying for life. that place looks amazing from what i have seen.

part of me not coming back would be due to my fear of flying. once i get there, i'd only return by boat. :)

freerangehuman
02-13-2001, 08:37 AM
I know you can get the uncut 'Anthropophagus' and 'Braindead' on VHS from either www.revok.com (http://www.revok.com) or www.videoscreams.com (http://www.videoscreams.com) . Not sure about the quality, and the last order I got from Video Screams took about a month to appear. But they do have a very large selection.