PDA

View Full Version : Essential hammer

hogtown73
12-13-2001, 10:39 PM
I haven't seen any Hammer films since my youth.My question to you hammer buffs is what are the absolute essential hammer films to watch and are they available on dvd? Thanks in advance.

ctyankee
12-13-2001, 10:48 PM
Great idea for a thread ... this Hammer newbie would love to know opinions on this as well.

Hammer Fans ... please share the wisdom of the Hammer!

hassan chaup
12-15-2001, 12:44 PM
The most essential Hammer films are still held hostage by Warner Bros. They are not out on DVD.:mad:

carl.kolchak
12-17-2001, 08:27 AM
Agree, the very best are still not out, but of those that have been released on dvd there are at least a dozen that are still great. For starters I would rate these as essential. :) Dracula POD, Scars of Dracula, Quatermass and the Pit, Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde, Plague of the Zombies and Frankenstein Created Woman.

hogtown73
12-17-2001, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I recently purchased "The Mummy"(HAMMER VERSION) I noticed it was released by Warner Bros. Hopefully,WB is gauging interest for the other Hammer titles whose rights they own.

mutleyhyde
12-18-2001, 12:59 AM
That's what they're saying. So go back and buy another. ;)

Carl lists some very good examples, all I can think of at the moment to add is The Devil Rides Out.

ctyankee
12-18-2001, 03:21 PM
So, is this a subjective thing ... Warner released some titles but not the ones we really need ... or is it beyond that ... blatantly holding up the best titles.

If so is this a "start with the rest and then come with the best" strategy? I don't understand the strategy of leading with second rate stuff to ... what ... to peak our interest for the other stuff ... or are they just waiting for critical mass before releasing their big titles?

Having said that ... why wait for critical mass anyway? The films are a fixed asset so as long as they can cover their variable costs why not sell it now anyway. This leads to more money now and maximizing their assets. Then when more customers come along they just keep selling the DVD ... what do they lose?

ctyankee ... slipping close to a coma .....

mutleyhyde
12-18-2001, 09:43 PM
Yankee, it's just Warner. Pretty much every one else has wised up, either licensing their properties to Anchor Bay or Image, or releasing it themselves, as MGM is working on. Warner releasing The Mummy on the one hand was an obvious attempt to cash in on Universal's Brendan Frasier movies, but on the other it just may have been the chink in the dam we've all been waiting for. Seriously, go buy two copies.

Andrew
12-19-2001, 01:21 AM
Hyde - shame on you. You forgot Rasputin :p.

mutleyhyde
12-21-2001, 03:37 AM
No I didn't... Rasputin is essential Hammer Historical Fiction, not essential Hammer Horror. :p Back atchoo ;)

p.s., well, okay, nobody made that distinction, but when I talk about essential Hammer, I think about what Hammer became famous for, which certainly is their horror offerings. Anyway, even as Rasputin is a personal favorite, I can't say it's essential Hammer.

Andrew
12-21-2001, 04:14 AM
Hmmmm........okay :D.

ParmagentoCheez
12-26-2001, 03:42 PM
always thought the holy trinity (dracula, frankenstein, mummy) hammer's cash cow's sucked.

my faves.....
-prehistoric women
-the reptile
-lost continent
-captain kronos (unavailable on dvd)

mac-hammer-fan
01-02-2002, 06:33 PM
Among the DVDs I own, my favourites are:
Scars of Dracula ***
Lust for a Vampire ***
Frankenstein created Woman ***
Plague of the Zombies ***
Reptile ***
(I loved most of the other Hammers too)
However, some of Hammer's best are unavailable on DVD:
Vampire Lovers (2002?) ****
Hound of the Baskervilles (2002?) ***
Demons of the Mind (2002) ***
Dracula has risen from the Grave ***
Taste the Blood of Dracula ****
Revenge of Frankenstein ***
Horror of Dracula ***
Gorgon ***
etc...
:)

carl.kolchak
01-02-2002, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by mac-hammer-fan
Taste the Blood of Dracula ****

m-h-f, I don't remember seeing much of Christopher Lee in this one, were all 4 of those stars for Linda Hayden? :D

mac-hammer-fan
01-03-2002, 09:52 AM
Well acted, eerie and atmospheric...
I thought this was one of the best Draculas.
You can read a second opinion using this link:
http://www.geocities.com/vidgrave/t/tasteblooddrac.html
I am not the only one who loves this movie.
(But don't buy the UK Warner tape, it's cut!)

calpurnia
01-05-2002, 06:16 AM
Ok, Hammer may be known for HORROR, but its best is Devil Rides Out.
The only flick Chris Lee was a good guy, pompous,but good.
And Scars of Drac was good, but not essential.
"The cross!The cross!"

skinnypuppy6
01-05-2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by calpurnia
Ok, Hammer may be known for HORROR, but its best is Devil Rides Out.
The only flick Chris Lee was a good guy, pompous,but good.
And Scars of Drac was good, but not essential.
"The cross!The cross!" devil rides out is a great film!

betterdan
01-06-2002, 05:43 AM
I really enjoyed The Reptile and Lost Continent. Plague of the Zombies was good too.

Mark Relford
01-06-2002, 08:00 PM
It may not be essential Hammer, but Vampire Circus is a fine film. It would nice to see this gem in its uncut glory on DVD.

RabidFulci
01-21-2002, 05:45 PM
This film is indeed deserving of DVD treatment in it's uncut format.....I might also add that I had puchased an uncut copy of this a while back at the annual "Chiller Theater".....but the picture quality was much to be desired.