PDA

View Full Version : How do you watch your movies at home?

rhett
03-05-2010, 04:55 PM
With Blockbuster's announcement that they are reinstating late fees, one has to wonder who actually still rents there enough to even care? It also begs the question...how DO you obtain the movies you watch at home? Rebox, Netflix, Torrent or are you a "buy over rent" guy? Let's hear it.

Mutilated Prey
03-05-2010, 05:08 PM
I rent through Blockbuster's Netflix-esque type of mail deal. The only reason I chose Blockbuster over Netflix is that there is a store 5 minutes from my house. This allows me to take the movies I've gotten through the mail and exchange them for free in-store rentals. I use Blockbuster mail service to get the obscure random titles not usually found in stores, and use the store to exchange for new releases that typically have a wait of sorts through the mail. It works out perfectly. Once my store shuts down I will most likely migrate to Netflix. I only buy the DVD if it's something I already know I love, otherwise I will typically rent it first.

othervoice1
03-05-2010, 05:22 PM
As far as what I do the most I would probably say Netflix. They have always been great as far as selection and customer service in my experience - although I do buy a lot of movies and have over 50 movie channels like showtime and encore on my fios subscription too <:

MorallySound
03-05-2010, 05:26 PM
I haven't rented in ages, the only time I do is when I get a free rental coupon. I usually buy since I know what I'll like and most of what I do want to see I can't find in any local stores, so I'd have to order it online anyway. So it's buy or go the the theatre for me.

Iron Jaiden
03-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Ever since getting a Roku box I've been using Netflix's instant streaming feature for a lot of my movies and all of my tv shows. I still keep a two-at-a-time DVD membership for stuff that isn't available through the instant streaming. I buy stuff on VHS that isn't available on DVD and torrent most stuff that comes out in the theaters.
I don't spend much money on movies but watch a TON so it works out pretty well :)

maybrick
03-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Believe it or not, when I rent movies it's usually at a local mom and pop convenience store, one of the few seemingly in existence! Aside from making the switch from VHS to DVD about 5 or 6 years ago they haven't changed since the 80s. They only charge $2/2 days. Aside from that I either borrow from friends or family or go to the library. None of those three options are made available on the poll. I've cut way down on buying movies in the past year or so. I'm running out of room to store them all.

bigdaddyhorse
03-05-2010, 06:19 PM
We need an 'all of the above' option. It just depends on what I feel like watching and then how is the best way to make that happen. I have a huge collection of dvds and my blu stack is getting mighty high too, but I'm still constantly watching shit on cable, downloading torrents, sometimes renting, and lots of free rents from the library.

The last few weeks I've been in the mood for shitty sequels that are long OOP, so the torrents have been my best friend (Fright Night 2, Freeway 2). Nero is my second best friend, esp. since I can burn WS files anamorphic.:D My Freeway 2 is probably just as good as the real dvd, just no production notes or trailer. My Fright Night 2 might be better from the reviews I've read, although it's probably identical, made from teh same VHS print/master.:rolleyes:

fattyjoe37
03-05-2010, 06:54 PM
I rent from a store, but it's not crappy like Blockbuster. Here in Seattle we have Scarecrow Video which has over 100,000 titles to rent including out of print DVDs, other region DVDs, VHS, and Laserdiscs. That's where I get my movie fix.

crikan
03-05-2010, 07:04 PM
I typically buy movies. For those movies that aren't worth buying I'll DVR them from HBO or skip 'em.

Iron Jaiden
03-05-2010, 07:06 PM
I rent from a store, but it's not crappy like Blockbuster. Here in Seattle we have Scarecrow Video which has over 100,000 titles to rent including out of print DVDs, other region DVDs, VHS, and Laserdiscs. That's where I get my movie fix.

Scarecrow is incredible. When I lived in LA I used to rent from Vidiots and Lazer Blazer. Here in Denver we had a great video store with Video One but they moved to a MUCH smaller location and sadly scaled down their selection to almost nothing.

spawningblue
03-05-2010, 07:10 PM
I usually just buy whatever interests me. Haven't really been let down yet, and if the movie does suck I can probably sell it for close to the amount I paid as I usually buy during sales or used.

KamuiX
03-05-2010, 07:25 PM
I selected the "buy" choice, since I don't rent anything at all (and the majority of what I download from torrents are custom subbed jobs, so I couldn't buy them if I wanted to), but right now 90% of what I'm able to watch is stuff I get sent screeners of for review. I don't buy nearly as much anymore because that stuff takes priority, so a lot of times what I buy will sit on a shelf for months before I get around to it, so what's the point? Unless it's something I HAVE to see ASAP, I generally don't buy it until I experience a lull in screeners.

Kolpitz
03-05-2010, 07:59 PM
I chose "I usually buy over renting" because I buy a lot of movies but, truthfully, it's a pretty steady combination of just about everything. I work at a movie theatre so I usually watch a movie or two there every week. For anything I miss (or things we didn't get at work), I have a Netflix account, along with the Instant Streaming disc for my PS3. If those fail me (usually due to long Netflix queue waits), I have all of the premium HD movie channels, along with MGM HD and HD Net Movies (which gets a lot of great Magnolia / Magnet sneak peaks). And, every once in a while, I'll order a VOD title from On Demand, if I really want to see it.

satans-sadists
03-05-2010, 08:19 PM
I usually buy over renting, though I do a lot less "blind buying" than I used to. Also rent free movies at the library too.

crikan
03-05-2010, 08:58 PM
I did not expect "I usually buy over renting" to be so overwhelmingly popular. I guess I just assumed most film enthusiasts these days were using Netflix or torrents. It's good to see I'm not alone.

snowbeast323
03-05-2010, 09:06 PM
Like the masses I buy most of my stuff

FilmFiend
03-06-2010, 01:41 AM
I use the public library for most of the movies I do not buy. I send away a lot to other libraries through the interloan. A lot of libraries have old VHS tapes that were probably donated from closing stores.

As bad as it is, I surprised to find the piece -of -trash movie "Victims" released in the 80s on Simitar Video and sent for it. I made a copy of it.

I also buy a lot of DVDs too.

x666x
03-06-2010, 03:07 AM
I hate to admit it, I download tons of films. Mind you, I am in Toronto which means the Toronto International Film Fest and After Dark. Between these two fests, we see a boatload of films. So in the end, we do pump a lot of money into watching films. In these cases, the money goes to the festivals as opposed to the directors/producers. But then, their films get hyped by people like me when I come on here and tell everyone of an awesome new film I saw called Haute Tension, L'Interiere, or Let the Right One In. That is what these fests are for, anyway. I'll get back to building a legit collection again when the time is right. As for renting, meh, I own therefore I am. All or nothing, baby, that's the way I play.

dave13
03-06-2010, 04:20 AM
what with the ridiculous prices of a rental around these parts, i buy or download everything. I'm definitely a collector, and love having an extensive library of films. even stuff i haven't watched in years, i'd still never give up. i figure any advantage the studios might make on me buying their stuff over renting, i make up for in torrents. anything im mildly interested in, which is mostly the newer stuff, i just download, watch it once, and then delete.

X-human
03-06-2010, 05:18 AM
I use to buy, acquiring quite a large collection. But I have since come to my senses and have scaled back my purchases. Even if I watch a new movie every night, I'm years away from finishing what I've already bought. I'm considering Netflix online and running that off of my PS3. That way I can keep up with new movies without purchasing them anymore, and only pay $9 a month to boot.

I only buy key movies now. I do try to watch a new movie every evening, so I'm working through it all. I guess I'll put "I usually buy over renting" because I'm still watching things I've bought.

Grim
03-06-2010, 05:58 AM
I still buy the majority of what I see, but that's not to say that I haven't slowed down considerably on the amount of things I buy.

DrHerbertWest
03-07-2010, 12:54 AM
I picked the "Store" option but not somewhere like Blockbuster or Hollywood. It's Hastings for me.

_pi_
03-07-2010, 01:15 AM
Purely a Netflix renter now (both mail and instant watch). Haven't bought a single title in (gasp) two years!

In 2008, I needed to save money fast and so all needless expenditures got cut out of my life, and so I stopped buying DVDs. After a while of battling drawback symptoms, I frankly lost the buying urge. Now there's hardly a new movie I see that makes me think "I need to own this".

These days I just rent and if I REALLY want to see it again, I'll just rent it again (hasn't happened so far).

That is, until I become filthy rich and stop caring about wasting money ... Then I'll buy everything.

Shannafey
03-07-2010, 02:23 AM
I buy Blu Rays and I still get a ton of DVDs either at Big Lots for cheap or used at pawn shops. I get a lot of recent releases at the library on DVD. If I like the film, I usually buy it on Blu Ray. I only DL TV stuff on Bit Torrent. Stuff I can't get, like BBC and Pay cable.

indiephantom
03-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Still love going to the movies. Here in Ottawa there are lots of options for cinema viewing. Great repertory theatre that caters to my grindhouse sensibility in the form of the Mayfair. Some of the stuff I've seen in actual prints on the big screen in the past year there are Ms .45, The Evil Dead, Dead Heat, Troll 2, Piranha 2 to name but a few.

I hit up the big multiplexes when something interesting is showing on the digital screens. Hit the art-house when I'm in the mood for some festival style offerings, and go to the Rainbow discount theatre ($2 Tues) for the other stuff.

I don't rent at all anymore. I buy plenty and the other stuff I catch on cable (Superchannel On Demand usually)

I don't download, but I have watched a few things on YouTube if they weren't available elsewhere.

Horrorphilly
03-07-2010, 01:30 PM
I buy movies still but have scaled down since I own a house and Im running out of space for my dvds.I rent from them Redbox and DvdXpress kiosk's.Im also a huge advocate of Cinemageddon.I wouldnt have gotten the chance to se alot of movies if it wasnt for that great site.

sean

Fistfuck
03-07-2010, 11:00 PM
Naked.

YottNik
03-07-2010, 11:28 PM
I used to go the theater quite a bit but it's a rare occassion these days. Anymore, I Netflix most films and only purchase those DVDs I think are worth my $$$. Most of the 70/80's films I love that are on DVD I own and those that haven't been released yet, I will wait to buy if/when they're ever released. But I just don't find myself going to the theater for new releases anymore. i have a good setup at home and can wait for those whenever they're released on DVD.

Paff
03-07-2010, 11:48 PM
Recently, it's been more Netflix. I re-joined, after Blowout Video became a charcoal bricquet on the corner of Rosecrans and Midway (although the rumor is that DVD racks mostly suffered water damage, and a re-opening is imminent).

I buy most of my Asian films though, because there's few places to rent those titles, and even then many of them are bootlegs.

When I do a double feature night, it's often one rental, and one from my own library.

YottNik
03-08-2010, 12:04 AM
When I do a double feature night, it's often one rental, and one from my own library.
My routine as well. That and a few beers.

msw7
03-08-2010, 12:36 AM
Oops, make my vote "netflix by mail", not digitally.

I buy some that either I want to have or that aren't available through netflix or are independent that I want to see and help support the creators.

But I'm not buying nearly as many these days.

dickieduvet
03-08-2010, 12:50 AM
Buy, Buy, Buy :)

Grim
03-08-2010, 01:51 AM
I've actually started ripping a lot of the DVD's that I've watched maybe once since I bought them to a hard drive so I can sell the DVD off as I'm trying to stockpile money. So far it's paying out in spades. Saving space and making a buck or three.

The Chaostar
03-08-2010, 02:31 AM
I can also add that I watch movies this way.

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs068.snc3/13557_205095296648_782101648_3118514_6456408_n.jpg

Excuse the flashiness, but I love my home theatre.

msw7
03-08-2010, 02:46 AM

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs068.snc3/13557_205095296648_782101648_3118514_6456408_n.jpg

Awesome set up (bastard)!

/just the jealousy talking :)

maskull
03-08-2010, 03:06 AM
Rent from Zip.ca and download stuff...if I end up loving it I go out and buy it. Sometimes I do blind buys too but I don't have a ton of money right now and running out of room for dvds...of course I still spend way too much money on DVDs, just not as much as I used to.

I rarely go to theaters anymore. Less chance of being annoyed by people at home and a lot cheaper too.

Grim
03-08-2010, 03:45 AM

That is fucking sweet man. If and when I do upgrade from my 46" LCD, I'm definitely going the projector route.

Fumi
03-08-2010, 08:59 PM
I buy all my DVD's used from the sellers on Amazon. I usually get them - shipping included - for about what Blockbuster charges to rent a movie.

dave13
03-09-2010, 03:36 AM
Awesome set up (bastard)!

/just the jealousy talking :)

I'll second that.
....the bastard part, i mean.

Sam
03-10-2010, 10:09 PM
We need an 'all of the above' option.

That's the option I'd go with. I've always preferred to buy over rent, but lately I admittingly have been renting a lot more through Netflix than buying because of tight money. There's also the occasional download of obscure vhs or broadcast rips of movies that are not on dvd.

Darga
03-10-2010, 10:57 PM
I still buy a lot of DVDs and BDs but when it comes down to the numbers, Netflix discs through the mail account for the largest percentage of my monthly viewing.

Nailwraps
03-13-2010, 07:22 PM
I rent from a store. I also buy too.

j tea
03-14-2010, 12:58 AM
i never buy movies. for the past three years i have been doing netflix but in the last three months i have predominantly been watching on my laptop through the netflix website. also go to my local independent video store when i am in the mood. hail videodrome!

Choptop
03-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Netflix FTW: DVDs, Blu-Ray, on demand content (some of which is in HD) for $20/mo. I've accumulated about 500 DVDs over the years, and now with Blu Ray, I can't justify re-buying even a small portion of what I already own... I've already spent upwards of $3000 towards my movie habit, and at this point, $20 a month is more than justified to see as many movies as I want.

I'm not 100% on this, but I think the most recent DVD that I purchased was The Monster Squad when it first came out and since then The Dark Knight (standard DVD), The Hangover and Inglorious Basterds (both Blu) were purchased for me.

In a pinch, Comcast on demand has good HD rentals and Red Box is actually extraordinarily convenient, so at this point, traditional rentals and purchasing takes a back seat for me.

bigdaddyhorse
03-14-2010, 04:33 PM
Perefct example of needing all of the above.
Boondock Saints 2 came out last week. I loved the first film but was very weary of a sequel, esp. 10 years later.
So I rent instead of wait for library or downloading. I fucking love it, now I'm waiting for a nice sale on the BD as I will own it, I just have to save an extra $3 to cover that rent. Of course since I had to rent the dvd, I went ahead and dubbed it in case that sale takes too long (I asked for the BD, but Hollywood only had one copy on blu and dozens on dvds. Blockbuster is out of the question).:D

steveterror83
03-15-2010, 06:33 PM
i netflix and stream alot. however i buy alot as i always seem to have orders in either gohastings, amazon, or diabolik. just alot of stuff i cant get on netflix.

Body Boy
03-17-2010, 03:31 PM
I almost always 'buy'. Renting is annoying cuz you have to send it back, and if I really like a movie, I'd like to own it...but it will cost me, plus the rental price. Meh...oh well...

maybrick
03-17-2010, 03:39 PM
I almost always 'buy'. Renting is annoying cuz you have to send it back, and if I really like a movie, I'd like to own it...but it will cost me, plus the rental price. Meh...oh well...

But on the other side of that equation, if you rent a movie you don't like, then you've just saved yourself $10 to $20. So unless you have absolutely no taste in movies and REALLY like everything you watch, renting first is still ultimately the cheapest option. It's really a lopsided gamble when you think logically about it. If you win you save yourself $2-4, but if you lose then you're out $10-20. You'd have to really enjoy 4 out of every 5 movies you buy for you to simply break even monetarily. Vegas would love you with those odds! :lol:

dave13
03-17-2010, 06:17 PM
i've rented 2 movies in the last 3 years, i think...i buy almost everything i watch. i certainly wouldn't say i have no taste in movies, but i guess im just very good at making informed decisions about what i buy. i can't remember the last film i purchased that i regretted picking up. but i usually only buy older movies. id never buy a new movie sight unseen. its gotta be something old, with a reputation of some sort.

spawningblue
03-17-2010, 07:33 PM
But on the other side of that equation, if you rent a movie you don't like, then you've just saved yourself $10 to $20. So unless you have absolutely no taste in movies and REALLY like everything you watch, renting first is still ultimately the cheapest option. It's really a lopsided gamble when you think logically about it. If you win you save yourself $2-4, but if you lose then you're out $10-20. You'd have to really enjoy 4 out of every 5 movies you buy for you to simply break even monetarily. Vegas would love you with those odds! :lol:

I always buy, mostly blind buys, and have never been disappointed with any of my purchases, well maybe one, but even that, I only paid $3 for.

maybrick
03-17-2010, 08:07 PM
i've rented 2 movies in the last 3 years, i think...i buy almost everything i watch. i certainly wouldn't say i have no taste in movies, but i guess im just very good at making informed decisions about what i buy.

Your decisions can't possibly be all that informed if you're always basing your buys upon other people's opinions rather than your own. In theory, if you forever cut yourself off from taking a chance on potentially bad movies, then you can never truly know what a "good" movie is, either. There is still value to be found in watching movies you don't necessarily want to own, and renting is great for that. Ain't no way in hell I'm going to pay $20 to own personal copies of Transformers, GI Joe, The Wicker Man, or 2012... but as $2 rentals and with a six pack of PBR handy I'm all over 'em! :D

dave13
03-17-2010, 08:44 PM
Your decisions can't possibly be all that informed if you're always basing your buys upon other people's opinions rather than your own. In theory, if you forever cut yourself off from taking a chance on potentially bad movies, then you can never truly know what a "good" movie is, either. There is still value to be found in watching movies you don't necessarily want to own, and renting is great for that. Ain't no way in hell I'm going to pay $20 to own personal copies of Transformers, GI Joe, The Wicker Man, or 2012... but as $2 rentals and with a six pack of PBR handy I'm all over 'em! :D

well, any movie im not sure of, i usually download. thats how i see most new pictures i miss in the theaters. maybe that makes me morally bankrupt or something, but i feel like i've put a lot of my money into the entertainment industry over my lifetime, so i don't lose any sleep over it.

in terms of my choices being informed or not, im not sure. i guess i dont take too many chances, you're right. but man, i don't have time to watch more than a movie/night on average. there are so many films out there that are practically guaranteed to be good, that i'd rather buy them over something im not sure of. my collection of films is probably only around 500-600 titles, and depending on your perspective, thats either really big or really small. there are still movies i want to buy that i know i'm gonna like.

as far as renting goes, where i live right now, the only option is blockbuster anyway, so this is kind of a philosophical debate, in the end. The option to rent a lot just isn't there at the moment. When i was in university there was an amazing rental place near me. 3 movies, 4 nights, 5 bucks. i watched a lot from that place, and discovered a lot of great films i never would have otherwise.

maybrick
03-17-2010, 11:02 PM
well, any movie im not sure of, i usually download. thats how i see most new pictures i miss in the theaters. maybe that makes me morally bankrupt or something, but i feel like i've put a lot of my money into the entertainment industry over my lifetime, so i don't lose any sleep over it.

I used to do that all of the time (although not for new films. The risk of getting caught is thousands of times greater.), but that was until I realized that I had developed a huge back catalog of films I had almost no desire to watch. There's only so many hours in a day I can watch films now that I have kids and if given a choice of some random film on avi or a professionally produced DVD with a glossy cover, the DVD is always the more appealing option. I keep my downloads strictly to the few new tv shows I watch that won't see release on DVD for another year or so. And when that happens, I buy it.

dave13
03-18-2010, 12:39 AM
I used to do that all of the time (although not for new films. The risk of getting caught is thousands of times greater.), but that was until I realized that I had developed a huge back catalog of films I had almost no desire to watch. There's only so many hours in a day I can watch films now that I have kids and if given a choice of some random film on avi or a professionally produced DVD with a glossy cover, the DVD is always the more appealing option. I keep my downloads strictly to the few new tv shows I watch that won't see release on DVD for another year or so. And when that happens, I buy it.

i know what you mean! i've got a bit of a backlog myself, and 19 times out of 20 i'll pick a dvd to watch over an avi. I'm not too concerned about being caught, because i honestly dont download that much. if there are flicks i honestly want to see, chances are i go see them in the theater. the bottom line is that i end up watching very few newer movies. things that come along that get everybody raving, often tend to pass me right by and i forget about them until years later. for example, judd apatow comedies have been a big thing over the last few years. but i have still to see the 40 year old virgin, or the hangover (not apatow, i know, but the same breed). I'm so busy catching up on classics put out by warner bros or fox, that i dont have time to watch anything that i have a fleeting interest in.

Grim
03-18-2010, 01:13 AM
my collection of films is probably only around 500-600 titles, and depending on your perspective, thats either really big or really small. there are still movies i want to buy that i know i'm gonna like.

My collection stays within that range, sometimes a little higher, sometimes a little lower. I'm always picking up new flicks and weeding out ones I never watch as well.