PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Puppet Master?

rhett
03-18-2010, 04:49 PM
In honor of the 20(!) year anniversary of the PUPPET MASTER franchise, tell us, which is your favorite? There have been a ton of sequels that probably only the most die hard fans have stuck it out through, but it would be nice to hear about some of the gems hidden deep within the high title numbers of sequels.

Nailwraps
03-18-2010, 05:03 PM
The 4th one was good.

NaturesMistake
03-18-2010, 05:06 PM
Basically the first three films... They kinda went to shit after that (all though 4 and 5 are watchable from what I remember).

Out of the first three films, I can't really choose. Probably either one or two. I'll vote later.

dave13
03-18-2010, 05:16 PM
i've only seen part one, and that a long time ago. i remember being rather unimpressed.

Iron Jaiden
03-18-2010, 05:35 PM
Yeah the first three were pretty ace with 4 and 5 trailing slightly behind.
Legacy was a complete piece of shit only to be watched as a drinking game movie.

Note: If anyone picks retro or legacy as their favorite in the series you'd better comment here and justify that goofyness.

satans-sadists
03-18-2010, 10:42 PM
I've only seen the first three films. Out of those, my favorite would be Puppet Master III: Toulon's Revenge.

Cujo108
03-18-2010, 11:42 PM
Puppet Master II is my favorite. With Charlie Spradling and a large role for Torch, how could it not be? I love the first five films in the series though. After that, pure shit, especially Retro.

Katatonia
03-19-2010, 12:06 AM
I love all of the first three films really, and it's really hard to choose between them. I'd probably have to go with the first film overall...

Harry Warden
03-19-2010, 12:30 AM
The first film was the best!

fceurich39
03-19-2010, 02:45 AM
the first film of course but i love the first 5 PM movies
curse was okay basically a rip off of sssssss
retro sucked
legacy was terrible
PM vs DT was terrible also but better than legacy
axis of evil i think will atleast be better than curse

Body Boy
03-19-2010, 03:38 AM
I've only seen the first half of Part 1, and I own 3 and Curse/6.

Uh...I'd rate them like this:

1. First half of 1...lol
2. III
3. VI

Though honestly, I thought both Toulon's Revenge and Curse were really mediocre.

X-human
03-19-2010, 06:01 AM
I found the first one to be pretty terrible, with little to redeem it beyond the SFX. Part II improved upon the original's formula but still had many of its pitfalls. Part III started it in the right direction, but had a lot of annoying tenancies like that German "kid" who's casting was way too old. The series slowly built up to 4 and 5 which is when the series reached its peak. Part 6 is just plain awful, and Part 7 had the right idea but totally missed the mark with its budget being too low. Vs. Demonic Toys is a guilty pleasure of mine; I probably find it to be the most enjoyable in the series and set it just behind 4 and 5.

Although Parts 4 and 5 are equally good, I give Part 5 the edge because of that great dream sequence in the tub.

I think the same way about the Subspecies series. Part 1 is pretty terrible, while 2 and 3 are quite good with Part 4 being unwatchable.

CrazyFatEthel
03-20-2010, 03:54 AM
Never seen any of these so far...:(

Body Boy
03-20-2010, 08:30 AM
I watched Puppet Master I and II tonight.

Ok. So...this series basically became a franchise for the characters, not the quality in their filming. lol. But I did have fun with them and I haven't seen one I didn't like. That sad, despite its many flaws, there's only one that I currently consider worthy of a good time rewatching. I love Part II! The ending took me a while to understand though. I was like "but...he's Andre! They can't do that!!" hehe...my list:

...[EDITED for new films to add:]

1. Puppet Master 5: The Final Chapter (7/10)
2. Puppet Master II (7/10)
3. Puppet Master 4 (6/10)
4. Puppet Master (6/10)
5. Puppet Master III: Toulon's Revenge (6/10)
6. Curse of the Puppet Master (5/10)
7. Puppet Master: The Legacy (2/10)
8. Retro Puppet Master (1/10)

snowbeast323
03-26-2010, 12:47 AM
I ain't seen a single one of them.....

Erick H.
03-26-2010, 07:54 AM
The first was easily my favorite,then the third.Never saw the last one.

deepred
03-26-2010, 03:11 PM
I just got my PM box set in the mail and watched PM 1-5 over the last couple of days.

I enjoy the original the most. I love the quirky characters, especially Irene Miracle, and of course the puppets. The movie has a nice atmosphere and the leech scene is classic.

The second one to me is like the Hammer Puppet Master. I love the opening with the Puppets going to the graveyard to resurrect Toulon. Love Torch giving it to that bratty kid and the creepy human puppets. Not as good as the first but an enjoyable entry.

I feel like the third one could have been so much more. I love Guy Rolfe as Toulon but I wish they would have done more with the Nazis reanimating the dead. Think Puppet Master by the way of Shock Waves - that would have been awesome. Oh and that child actor was awful too.

The fourth one is kind of goofy but that's what makes it enjoyable in my opinion. Decapitron has to be my least favorite puppet so far but it allows us to see Guy Rolfe as Toulon again.

Watching the fifth one directly after the fourth one, I find it the weaker of the two. The story feels stretched thin and redundant. Even two of the theives in the hotel have identical attack scenes : see the totem creature, start to run backwards, trip and then be ATTACKED. Also, where did Torch come from???

dave13
07-15-2010, 03:56 PM
watching the series for the first time right now (besides the 1st one, which i'd seen a long time ago).

So far I've seen the first 3, and it seems to me that they're just getting better and better. the first one was fun, and i guess it should get an edge just by virtue of being the original, but compared to the 2nd and 3rd ones, it didn't have much of a story to it. and that lead actor playing Alex - i had MST3K flashbacks: "please tell me this is not our hero!" what a weird choice for a lead actor. the second one was better. i really liked the mad scientist version of toulon in this one, with his invisible man get-up, mincing around like he's dracula. and that brunette chick was stacked! yowza! great scene.
torch was cool, and i wasn't all that upset to see leech woman roasted, since she was probably my least favorite puppet. but this brings me to one of the craziest, most entertaining aspects of this series - the COMPLETE lack of continuity between films. Toulon's old and frail, animates dolls through touch, and dies in 1939. No, wait, he's twisted and evil, injects brain matter into rubber tubes within his puppets, and his gravestone says 1941. Now its 1941, and he's alive - and a nice guy - in Germany! And he uses some green serum to re-animate his dead friends. At the beginning of part 1 we see him building jester. but in part 3 jester is already around. in part 3 he puts the soul of his wife into leech woman. but in part 2 he didn't give a shit when leech woman died, and besides, his wife was actually reincarnated into that red-head chick!

I gotta say, this is phenomenally entertaining, trying to keep track of all the weird changes that happen between movies. and all this after only the first 3, too! i can't wait to see what curve balls the next 7 (!!) movies are gonna have in store.

as far as the 3rd one goes, i found it the most entertaining so far. i liked the dolls being evil in the first 2, but in terms of story, acting, budget, etc, this one seems to have been the best so far.