PDA

View Full Version : The thing I like most about A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET is...

rhett
04-05-2010, 05:54 PM
Considering the remake is hitting theaters this month and the original slashterpiece is getting a new Blu-ray from Warner Brothers, I thought it would be nice to start up a new kind of poll. Rather than compare films as we do so often with these polls, why not consider each film individually. I've picked a bunch of key elements that makeup Craven's classic, which one does it for you?

Drama Queen Die
04-05-2010, 05:59 PM
The mom was hot

Matt89
04-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Definitely the fact that Freddy's actually scary, with a biting critique of middle class being a close second.

~Matt

snowbeast323
04-05-2010, 07:04 PM
The inventive death sequences for sure, some of that stuff is legendary.....

Bobbywoodhogan
04-05-2010, 07:50 PM
The relenting dark atmosphere for me, most notably from the first one. The atmosphere for me makes the movie.

Body Boy
04-05-2010, 08:12 PM
A whole mixture of things...but the dark atmosphere stands out in this list.

As dark as Part 1 was, Part II was even darker, and I think that's why I watch it more than any others in the series. People are way too tough on Freddy's Revenge. It's a good flick, but people can't get past certain things in it.

So yeah, atmosphere helps a ton! It can make movies sometimes.

Shlockjock81
04-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Wow there's tons to choose from here... critique of middle class, freddy being actually scary... But ultimately I went with the atmosphere. The dark look of the suburban backyard (Tina's dream), the crackling fire and steaming pipes of the boiler room (Nancy's dream) etc. This film didn't need massive effects and tons of latex rubber to create a tense vibe.

Sometimes even the most mundane surroundings, filmed with the right care and lighting, can transcend into something completely different.

Bobbywoodhogan
04-05-2010, 08:38 PM
A whole mixture of things...but the dark atmosphere stands out in this list.

As dark as Part 1 was, Part II was even darker, and I think that's why I watch it more than any others in the series. People are way too tough on Freddy's Revenge. It's a good flick, but people can't get past certain things in it.

So yeah, atmosphere helps a ton! It can make movies sometimes.

Freddy's Revenge is awesome. To me it is the easiest one to rewatch, plus it has a special place in my heart as its the first Nightmare movie I bought on VHS back in the day. I love it, my favourite thing about it is that 80s feel that all the really fun 80s movies have.

evildeadfan123
04-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Me personally, had to go with Evil Dead being on the screen, and the long going feud, between Sam Raimi and Wes Craven. A torn poster for Hills Have Eyes in Evil Dead, then Wes showing Evil Dead on the TV screen in NOES and then Sam showing Freddy's Glove in Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn, but all of the poll answers are actually all cool, but I am a HUGE Evil Dead fan, had to go with that.

NightAndFog
04-05-2010, 09:38 PM
For me, it's the "dreams affect reality" concept.I think that's what gives the film it's originality.

maskull
04-05-2010, 10:42 PM
Went with the atmosphere as well but I also really like the practical effects and Freddy's back story. Actually I pretty much love everything about this movie.

_pi_
04-05-2010, 11:22 PM
I went with unrelenting dark atmosphere.

However, I would have said that my favorite part of the film was Craven's very nice blending of fantasy and realism. It's a film that's both gritty and 'real' and at the same time completely stylized and fantastical.

My 2nd choice would be some of the most wonderful dialogue ever in a motion picture. "Mommy killed him ..." amazing.

SaxCatz
04-05-2010, 11:29 PM
I choose the backstory followed closely by the unrelenting dark atmosphere.
I could vote for "Freddy's actually scary", but let's face it- its the back story that makes him scary. No cheesy back story or overwrought drama- just a real-life problem (a serial child molestor/killer set free by a failing in the justice system) and a truly evil man.

SaxCatz
04-05-2010, 11:31 PM
Me personally, had to go with Evil Dead being on the screen, and the long going feud, between Sam Raimi and Wes Craven.

Was this a fued or were these symbols of mutual respect?
I always assumed the later.

othervoice1
04-05-2010, 11:58 PM
That Freddy was actually scary in this one. This movie scared the piss out of me as a kid and I think it holds up well even today. Also I was kinda in love with Tina and hated Freddy for killing her so fast!

dave13
04-06-2010, 12:17 AM
I was about to go with Freddy's actually scary, but decided on the unrelentingly dark atmosphere, because i feel that kind of encompasses the fact that Freddy's scary, while also taking into account the other great aspects of the cinematography/score/concept/set design etc. I think my favorite single aspect of the film though, is how Freddy is such a mystery in it. He's constantly in the shadows, obscured by objects in the foreground, or backlit, and the effect is terrifying. It's like the shark in jaws (to beat that cliche into the ground). You never really get a good look at him, and it makes him even scarier. It's almost like, instead of the audience wondering "who the fuck is that," they're supposed to be thinking "what the fuck is that?"
awesome.

Harry Warden
04-06-2010, 01:08 AM
Had to go with "dream affects reality ". I would have gone with Freddy is actually scary, but he was only really scary in the first two. He became more of a comedic figure afterwards, IMO.

Copyboy
04-06-2010, 02:11 AM
I would have gone with, "I look 20 years old!" but as that wasn't an option, decided on Bernstein's score.

Sadly, I remember the first time I saw NOES and thinking, God, yeah! She DOES look 20! Ewww!

Mitbox
04-06-2010, 04:44 AM
You forgot "all of the above", because I like everything from it. But if I have to choose, I go with The unrelenting dark atmosphere, which as someone else said, encompasses more characteristics into one. I love how evil it is, and I concur with others, I absolutely adore part II because of the same and maybe its even more dark and mean spirited atmosphere than part one.

JoseCocodrilo
04-06-2010, 05:27 AM
I really love everything about the franchise. My favorite thing it's the visual concept and how the reality it's mixed with the dream world. One thing that the poll doesn't mention it's the really cool artwork from all the nightmares, I think it's great, and my favorite movie memorabilia to collect!

Mutilated Prey
04-06-2010, 05:34 AM
Freddy is actaully scary and not cheesy at all! There's no stupid one-liners. The dark atmosphere plays well into the film as too which just adds the Freddy's creepiness.

evildeadfan123
04-07-2010, 02:27 AM
Was this a fued or were these symbols of mutual respect?
I always assumed the later.

I don't think that Sam Raimi and Wes Craven really have said, but I think it could go both ways.

CrazyFatEthel
04-07-2010, 02:48 AM
I chose the reality/actuallity limbo scheme

vampyr789
04-07-2010, 06:45 AM
ooops!! i meant to push "inventive death scenes" but i put "likable teeangers" which is true too. but yeahh lol

satans-sadists
04-07-2010, 06:48 AM
Went with the inventive dream sequences, but also really like the "dreams affect reality" concept and practical gore effects. The original film is my favorite followed by Dream Warriors.

chancetx
04-07-2010, 12:22 PM
I like that in the original you can't always tell what's a dream and what's "reality." The death sequences in the sequels became so stylized they forgot to be scary. I credit Ronee Blakely's performance with blurring that line between dream and reality even more. She's just so...strange! It's like she's performing in a dream.

I also completely agree that keeping Freddy in the shadows or backlit made him that much scarier. Who hasn't had a nightmare where you try and try but can't make out the boogeyman's face?

And Bernstein's score adds a lot to the film's atmosphere. The synthesizers may be dated but that ominously playful piano theme still brings chills. It's a shame the sequels all but ignored this key ingredient to making Freddy scary.

Anthropophagus
04-08-2010, 01:01 AM
I like everything about the first Elm Street though I voted that what I like best is that Freddy is actually scary. It's just too bad they couldn't keep up that mystique and sense of menace in the sequels.
I also agree that part II is underrated, however the novelty of the first film was gone for me and I did not like the cast nearly as much.

NightAndFog
04-08-2010, 08:22 PM
kudos should be given to the creative deaths that in the sequels always had to do with one given person's weaknessess, problems and/or aspirations.

wago70
04-09-2010, 11:37 PM
Freddy's actually scary. I also love the action sequences - Nancy was up to task in those wild chase scenes. Loved it!

HorrificCat
04-12-2010, 03:07 AM
I have been scared of Freddy since I first saw this, and am still. I would commit suicide before he could get me if I was being chased...in case you wanted to know.

Spit
04-12-2010, 04:18 PM
The gore! When Johnny Depp gets sucked into the bed and the blood explodes out of the bed like a fire hose, that blew my mind.

buck135
04-16-2010, 10:25 PM
The score. With any luck, the remake will incorporate it.