PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Friedkin Following The Exorcist

rhett
04-18-2010, 07:06 PM
In the early seventies William Friedkin was for a brief moment the king of American cinema, the one-two punch of THE FRENCH CONNECTION and THE EXORCIST certainly cemented him as a director to watch. Then came the ambitious bombs SORCERER and CRUISING, and ever since Friedkin's been struggling to get box office and critical notices. He may have struggled hardest with the Joe Eszterhas flop, JADE, released earlier this month on Blu-ray from Lionsgate. Still, he's had quite the career all things considered - which is your favorite post-Exorcist?

indrid13
04-18-2010, 07:13 PM
CRUISING then SORCERER and LA. Sadly I haven't seen the other films.

rhett
04-18-2010, 07:14 PM
CRUISING then SORCERER and LA. Sadly I haven't seen the other films.

Well, those are three good ones to watch, for sure!

zompirejoe
04-18-2010, 08:34 PM
The Guardian for me. I saw it in the theaters when it first came out and didn't think much of it. It has really grown on me in the following years.

Paff
04-18-2010, 08:44 PM
I went with To Live and Die in LA, despite only having seen it once. It did leave quite an impression. But I enjoy Sorcerer too.

Cujo108
04-18-2010, 08:56 PM
Sorcerer is his best film.

The Chaostar
04-18-2010, 08:57 PM
So many great films. But I had to vote for Rampage. it's very hard to track down in the US (I think) but it really is one of Fredkin's best, an unconventional and truly thought provoking film.

soxfan666
04-18-2010, 09:32 PM
I went with L.A. I have watched it a few times in the past few years on Encore and it is a great movie. It is very downbeat, which gives it a sense of realism to me.

Egg_Shen
04-18-2010, 11:14 PM
Sorcerer is my favorite. One of the best remakes ever. I like most of his films though. Except for Cruising. I only watched it once, but it seemed like a huge depressing mess. I remember Jade actually being enjoyable, and Iíve always thought of it as the third part of his car chase trilogy. Rules of Engagement was very well directed and I thought Bug and Hunted were well made, so the guy hasnít lost his mojo.

dave13
04-19-2010, 01:16 AM
i've only seen 5 of those (bug, the hunted, the guardian, rules of engagement, and jade). while i wouldn't say i hated any of them, i really didn't care for bug too much, and rules of engagement left no impression whatsoever. i barely remember it. i remember liking the guardian as a piece of schlocky cheese, and jade was certainly one i watched a few times as a teenager (the unrated version - wtf lionsgate?). But the only one that i've seen that i really and truly loved was the hunted. i've shown it to so many people, and i really feel that its a great example of storytelling reduced to its most basic. that movie is every other chase movie made in the 90's boiled down to its absolute barest essentials, and it rocks.

i just recently saw wages of fear for the first time, so i'd be interested in seeing sorcerer. and i hear nothing but good things about to live and die in la, so maybe i should check that out.

ekent
04-19-2010, 01:25 AM
Just watched To Live and Die in LA for an upcoming podcast episode and I have to give that one the edge, even over French Connection. The plot was decent enough to move the film but it was supported by its action scenes and montage sequences. A fun little 80's drama/action piece.

Shannafey
04-19-2010, 02:07 AM
To Live and Die in LA is one of my favorite films!

_pi_
04-19-2010, 02:20 AM
Cruising

buck135
04-19-2010, 02:42 AM
Went with Jade. Even bought the Blu-Ray. Picture quality sucks. What did I expect for $10? Judging from how bad the picture of French Connection was butchered, I'm getting nervous about Exorcist.

j tea
04-19-2010, 02:45 AM
cruising was awesome. i would have picked 'to live and die' but the credits music killed the whole movie for me.

DrHerbertWest
04-19-2010, 04:27 AM
To Live & Die In L.A. is awwwwwesome.

Erick H.
04-19-2010, 05:39 AM
TO LIVE AND DIE IN L.A. is a great film.SORCERER and RAMPAGE (despite being cut by the studio) are badly underrated.

satans-sadists
04-19-2010, 05:51 AM
To Live and Die In L.A. would be my favorite. Bug is my least favorite.

SaviniFan
04-19-2010, 01:22 PM
Cruising. Easily.

Katatonia
04-20-2010, 02:06 AM
To Live and Die In L.A. would be my favorite. Bug is my least favorite.

My exact choices as well. ;)

indiephantom
04-20-2010, 07:07 AM
Hardest poll for me in some time.

I went with Cruising...but I had to struggle with To Live and Die in LA and Sorcerer (which I had the pleasure of seeing on the big screen last year). Those three films are just consistently amazing.

The only films I haven't seen, and the only two I don't own are Deal of the Century and Rampage.

The man is one of my favorite directors. He has some great television credits, too, including a great Tales From the Crypt.

Richard Anthony
04-20-2010, 05:34 PM
I have a soft spot for Jade so I went with Jade. It is a Great Thriller with some clever twists and a Great Cast. Plus, any Film that has both Linda Fiorentino and Angie Everhart Together has got to being doing something right in my mind!! Jade has a Great Car Chase Secne in which Friedkin pays homage to his Classic Scene in The French Connection. Cruising is a Very Close Second, as Al Pacino gives a Great Performance as always. The Guardian is a Creepy and Strange Horror Movie as well.

Criswell
04-21-2010, 02:15 PM
I went for Cruising. Stunningly brutal film. Never seen so many people walk out of a cinema before or since. Even more walked than when i saw Caligula.

dave13
04-22-2010, 03:06 AM
Even more walked than when i saw Caligula.

wow....nice!

MorallySound
04-22-2010, 03:17 PM
Cruising. Masterful film.

And as a bonus, the soundtrack rules!

shithead
04-23-2010, 03:11 AM
Cruising.

The Hunted and Bug are great too.

BroodingHope
04-23-2010, 03:25 AM
My vote automatically has to go to Blue Chips since that's the only other movie of his that I've seen.

Grim
04-23-2010, 03:38 AM
I went with To Live and Die in L.A. He made some good ones in between that and the Exorcist but it is L.A. that sticks out in my mind whenever someone brings up Friedkin. After that film, I feel, he spiraled downward and has never really recovered. Still, his career as a filmmaker still trumps many others, even with all the stinkers from the late 80's on.

joltaddict
04-28-2010, 08:43 AM
whoa whoa whoa... I voted for bug a week ago but wait a fuckin minute here... Friedkin did Blue Chips?:?????

joltaddict
04-28-2010, 08:47 AM
OK I just double checked on IMDB. I have officiallly lost all respect for that motherfucker.

indiephantom
04-28-2010, 08:57 AM
I have a soft spot for Jade so I went with Jade. It is a Great Thriller with some clever twists and a Great Cast. Plus, any Film that has both Linda Fiorentino and Angie Everhart Together has got to being doing something right in my mind!! Jade has a Great Car Chase Secne in which Friedkin pays homage to his Classic Scene in The French Connection. Cruising is a Very Close Second, as Al Pacino gives a Great Performance as always. The Guardian is a Creepy and Strange Horror Movie as well.

No shame there. Jade is another fave. I have the Blu-ray and it looks gorgeous. Have yet to watch it from start to finish (the BD, not the movie).

Also really really liked The Guardian by the way. I own it, too.

Ptflea2
04-29-2010, 02:15 AM
OK I just double checked on IMDB. I have officiallly lost all respect for that motherfucker.

You lost respect for someone because they directed a movie? ooooooooook. :rolleyes: